Start by marking “Monsieur Pamplemousse and the Secret Mission (Monsieur Pamplemousse Mystery, Book 2)” as Want to Read:

Monsieur Pamplemousse and the Secret Mission (Monsieur Pamplemousse #2)

"As light and naughty as a spiked creampuff . . . a bawdy romp in a French accent." Houston Post.
Monseiur Pamplemousse has been summoned by the director of Le Guide, the prestigious culinary magazine for which Pamplemousse writes restaurant reviews. The aunt of the director's wife, whose restaurant perpetrates some of the worst food in France, is demanding to be included i
Mass Market Paperback, 0 pages
Published February 12th 1987 by Fawcett (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Monsieur Pamplemousse and the Secret Mission, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Monsieur Pamplemousse and the Secret Mission

Korynn
Feb 19, 2009 Korynn rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery-crime
A very silly little mystery in which our detective finds himself finagled into staying at the Hotel Paradis in the middle of nowhere with the worst food in France at his disposal. Quickly he manages to wrap all various plots and mysteries into one cohesive solution while not excluding several hilarious situations which include being serviced by a French port-o-potty and attacked by a parades worth of sexually uninhibited women.
Susan
Oct 16, 2016 Susan rated it really liked it
Humorously amusing.
Lee
Jun 23, 2011 Lee rated it really liked it
This book has my favorite elements all in one story - a mystery, food, a dog and humor. And it's a series, something I always like. Monsieur Pamplemousse is a food critic sent on a secret mission by his boss and encounters a mystery that he must solve with the help of his trusty bloodhound, Pomme Frite, dog extraordinaire. It's a fun book, somewhat bawdy - 'a frothy farce' as one reviewer put it. Apparently monogamy is not something that overly concerns the protagonist or anyone else in this ...more
Margaret
Aug 12, 2011 Margaret added it
Shelves: 2005
Oh, this was such a fun and amusing book! I was chuckling out loud at Monsieur Pamplemousse's misadventures in the Sansiette (pay toilet) and with the all-girl band. Very entertaining! And of course I loved his bloodhound, Pommes Frites - "Un chien par excellence!" Interestingly, Michael Bond is also the author of the Paddington Bear books. I will look for more on Monsieur Pamplemousse - he's a gem! :)

Jeannie and Louis Rigod
Apr 24, 2011 Jeannie and Louis Rigod rated it really liked it
This series is an interesting one for adults. There is definitely the French humor and yes, there is a mystery involved but it is of the, how should I put it, risque? Even poor Pommes Frites, the loyal bloodhound gourmet is affected. This is a mystery of the amour...and why it seems to cause the hotel endless woes.

Very funny but very bawdy.
Victoria
Excellent premise, a French policeman-turned-restaurant critic and his faithful canine companion. The story contains a bit of farce and a bit of mystery, very enjoyable. I especially like that from some of the story is told from the dog's point of view. I do plan to find book one before I read the rest of the series to find my way into this world a little bit better.
Sho
Jul 01, 2011 Sho rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: detective, humour
As usual a great romp round gastrononomic France. A totally preposterous plot, but none-the-worse because of that. The situations are hilarious, sometimes in an "ooh, er, missus" Dick Emery sort of way, and the writing is tight.

But beware! You can get hungry reading these books!
Jen
Nov 30, 2013 Jen rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: T, Kirsti, Celia
Recommended to Jen by: Victoria
This was a charmer, sort of a mash-up of an Alexander McCall Smith mystery, PG Wodehouse-ish prose, "Mastering the Art of French Cooking", and Benny Hill. I would like to get a dog and name him Pommes Frites.
Susanrgrimes
Mar 16, 2015 Susanrgrimes rated it it was amazing

Loved this series. If you like the idiosyncracies of Western Europeans and their food--you will love reading this series. And if you loved loyal dog companions, Pomme Frites may end up as your favorite character.
Anne Herbison
Oct 17, 2015 Anne Herbison rated it really liked it
This series came along just at a time when I was looking for light, relaxing, enjoyable reading. I read the whole series over May and June, travelling with the main character on his adventures and savouring every meal he critiqued. Recommended for light relief and a bit of fun.
Drew Buddie
Aug 24, 2012 Drew Buddie rated it it was ok
Was disappointed by this book. The constant references to French expressions meant that I felt alientated from the book as some of the phrases were never explained to the reader.
T
Jun 18, 2011 T rated it really liked it
Fun and fast read, from the author of the Paddington Bear books, this series is for the adults, involving food and detective work and a bloodhound sidekick.
Teresa Foote
Apr 16, 2013 Teresa Foote rated it liked it
Very cute little mystery! Loved all the bits with mischievous Pomme Frites, and it was fun to use my (remedial) French a bit. Recommended for food-centric dog-lovers.
Caroline
Caroline rated it it was amazing
Nov 27, 2012
Michael Romo
Michael Romo rated it really liked it
May 30, 2015
Carol
Carol rated it really liked it
Aug 07, 2012
Steven
Steven rated it really liked it
Jan 26, 2014
David Aspinwall
David Aspinwall rated it it was amazing
Jul 13, 2015
Meredith
Meredith rated it liked it
May 04, 2012
Alice
Alice rated it it was amazing
Jan 19, 2015
Michele
Michele rated it really liked it
May 18, 2013
Miriam
Miriam rated it liked it
Apr 06, 2013
Stuart
Stuart rated it liked it
Sep 28, 2016
Rose
Rose rated it it was amazing
Aug 19, 2015
Karen McCluskey
Karen McCluskey rated it really liked it
Jan 13, 2012
Trixie
Trixie rated it really liked it
Nov 16, 2015
Heather Howard
Heather Howard rated it really liked it
Sep 16, 2013
Richard
Richard rated it really liked it
May 15, 2012
Suzie
Suzie rated it really liked it
May 19, 2016
Greg Chlumsky
Greg Chlumsky rated it it was amazing
Oct 28, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Michael Bond OBE is an English children's author. He is the creator of Paddington Bear and has written about the adventures of a guinea pig named Olga da Polga, as well as the animated BBC TV series The Herbs. Bond also writes culinary mystery stories for adults featuring Monsieur Pamplemousse and his faithful bloodhound, Pommes Frites.
More about Michael Bond...

Monsieur Pamplemousse (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Monsieur Pamplemousse (Monsieur Pamplemousse Mystery, Book 1)
  • Monsieur Pamplemousse on the Spot (Monsieur Pamplemousse Mysteries)
  • Monsieur Pamplemousse Takes the Cure
  • Monsieur Pamplemousse Aloft
  • Monsieur Pamplemousse Investigates
  • Monsieur Pamplemousse Rests His Case
  • Monsieur Pamplemousse Stands Firm (Monsieur Pamplemousse Mysteries)
  • Monsieur Pamplemousse on Location