Start by marking “Fanuilh (Fanuilh, #1)” as Want to Read:
Fanuilh (Fanuilh, #1)

Fanuilh (Fanuilh #1)

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  161 ratings  ·  10 reviews
When the wizard Tarquin is killed in his bed, only two mourn him--his miniature dragon familiar, Faniulh, and scholar Liam Rhenford. Liam isn't about to get involved until Fanuilh magically bonds with him. Compelled by the dragon's desire for justice, Liam learns magic--but will it be enough to save Fanuilh?
Mass Market Paperback, 259 pages
Published May 1994 by Ace

To ask other readers questions about Fanuilh, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fanuilh

Dodger by Terry PratchettAmerican Gods by Neil GaimanThe Name of the Wind by Patrick RothfussNeverwhere by Neil GaimanThe Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss
100 in 2012
140th out of 153 books — 30 voters
Bentwhistle the Dragon in a Threat from the Past by Paul CudeDragon Eaters by Janet E. MorrisThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienHarry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. RowlingEragon by Christopher Paolini
Dragons Included
151st out of 163 books — 109 voters

More lists with this book...

Tracy Stirman
I read this book a long time ago, back in 1996. At the time, I was 13 years old. I really wanted to like this book and I found the overall concept and premise desirable and unique. I loved the pseudodragon familiar and wished that he had a greater role in the story. The pace at which the book moved seemed to me, at the time, to be rather slow. Also, as a mystery, I found it to be very predictable. I had figured out who the killer was very early on (even if I'd not yet deduced the why) and found ...more
Niffer
I've read this book three times now. It's okay. There's some seriously awkward phrasing that tends to interrupt the flow of the story, and I find the characters to be wooden. But the story holds up reasonably well and has been relatively enjoyable on all three reads.
Barbara ★
There's alot going on but the main thing is who killed Tarquin Tanaquil and why. I liked Liam Rhenford, though he's an unlikely detective but I've seen worse in most cozy mysteries. I knew who the killer was as soon as they entered the picture and was surprised that Liam didn't even suspect. I liked the tiny dragon and think I will enjoy future adventures with Liam and Fanuilh. I was amazed that Liam didn't find the whole thing with Poppae suspicious, I certainly did!
Boots
If I could give a 2.5 stars I probably would. I enjoyed the whole series; possibly the first book the most. The magic/wizardry is along the lines of a cross between Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter. I don't find it objectionable. It's an enjoyable read and a good way to waste a few hours. A couple of the books end kind of abruptly and there are a few questions raised in earlier books that don't get answered in later ones. But overall an enjoyable series.
Uriah

I was given this book by a friend who has widely different tastes for my own. I'm often lucky to make it through the first chapter of the books he gives me. Imagine my delight when I found myself actually enjoying this story.

Filled with mystery, this story is an adventure from beginning to end. Character driven, the story effortlessly unfolds.

If you come across this book, give it a shot. I highly doubt it will disappoint.
Caroline
A light, fun mystery series set in a fantasy world. At the time, I was thrilled to find something that combined the two genres in such a way, and it's unfortunate the author seemed to disappear after only five.
Coralea
Really liked the series. Fanuilh became my favorite character for a while. Liam took a bit to grow on my yet I ended up liking him a lot. Was very disappointed that the series did not continue.
Maria Schneider
It was okay. The mystery was a tad slow to develop; I'd have liked to see more of Fanuilh as he could have been a far more interesting character that he was.
Matthew Sutton
decent fantasy fair for children
Fatbaldguy60
Not bad, not too deep.
Alice Montrose
Alice Montrose marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2015
Christina West
Christina West marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2015
Benjamin Brown
Benjamin Brown marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2015
Lori
Lori marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2015
Marybeth
Marybeth marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2015
Zera
Zera is currently reading it
Jun 20, 2015
Benjamin Theoret
Benjamin Theoret marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2015
Kevin Ess
Kevin Ess marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2015
Greggd
Greggd marked it as to-read
May 28, 2015
Carly
Carly marked it as to-read
May 22, 2015
Edward Richmond
Edward Richmond marked it as to-read
May 08, 2015
  • D'Shai (D'Shai, #1)
  • Angry Lead Skies (Garrett P.I., #10)
  • Dragon Precinct
  • Lord Darcy Investigates (Lord Darcy, #3)
  • Point of Hopes (Astreiant, #1)
  • The Book of Air (Dragon Quartet #4)
  • Future Lovers Vol. 2
  • Paint it Black: 4 (The Black Knight Chronicles)
  • The Emerald Cavern
  • Wake of the Bloody Angel (Eddie LaCrosse, #4)
  • Child of the Grove (Wizard of the Grove, #1)
  • Wolfwalker (Wolfwalker, #1)
  • The Excalibur Murders (Merlin Investigation, #1)
  • Stalking The Unicorn
  • Nameless Magery
  • Threads of Malice  (Dubric Bryerly, #2)
  • Elf Defense (New York, #2)
  • Dragonsword (Dragonsword, #1)

Fanuilh (5 books)
  • Wizard's Heir (Fanuilh, #2)
  • Beggar's Banquet (Fanuilh, #3)
  • Scales of Justice (Fanuilh, #4)
  • King's Cure  (Fanuilh #5)
Wizard's Heir (Fanuilh, #2) Scales of Justice (Fanuilh, #4) Beggar's Banquet (Fanuilh, #3) A Familiar Dragon: Fanuilh / Wizard's Heir / Beggar's Banquet King's Cure  (Fanuilh #5)