Start by marking “Callahan's Secret” as Want to Read:
Callahan's Secret

Callahan's Secret (Callahan's #3)

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  1,562 ratings  ·  23 reviews

Callahan's Place is open for business, and all of the "regulars" are here—a talking dog, an alcoholic vampire, and two telepaths—enhancing their joys by drowning their sorrows. Everyone, that is, but Mickey Finn, a seven-foot tall alien in danger of enslavement at the hands of a traveller from across the galaxy...

Come inside, pull up a chair, order a drink, make a toast, a

Mass Market Paperback, 172 pages
Published July 15th 1986 by Berkley (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Callahan's Secret, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Callahan's Secret

Carol. [All cynic, all the time]
Sep 01, 2011 Carol. [All cynic, all the time] rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of sci fi classics
Recommended to Carol. [All cynic, all the time] by: Ala
The last in the trilogy about Callahan's. Puns are prevalent, and as a reader, they don't have any appeal for me. Some of Robinson's seem particularly tortured, so the extent where I was sounding them out out loud to try and get the joke. Since I read the trilogy in the omnibus edition, I might have also been reaching my limit on Callahan's bar.

"The Blacksmith's Tale," kind of a love story, unusual in the group. Poignant twist and philosophical musing. Quite emotionally wrenching.

"Pyotr's Story
Bobscopatz
Mickey Finn and Mary...lots of great revelations. The characterizations are deeper than in most of the other Callahan's books/stories, and that only adds to the enjoyment.

The only flaw, and it's a minor one, is that I sometimes feel like the dialogue is taking place on a plane I cannot reach and do not aspire to. I don't know if that's Spider Robinson being too hip, too clever, but I do know that by the end of the story it makes sense and the momentary feeling of not being one of the smart kids
Jen3n
I re-read this book a lot. This and most of the rest in this series, of which this particular book is the 4th. I think.

If I ever were to meet Spider Robinson in person, I would kiss him full on the lips and probably weep. While the series ran out of steam after awhile (see the less-than delightful Lady Slings the Booze for reference), the Callahan's Place and Lady Sally books were top-notch escapism for me growing up. Hell, their top-notch escapism currently. Intelligent, thoughtful books about
Surreysmum
[These notes were made in 1989:]. The tone is almost off-puttingly flip, at first. But beneath all the cleverness, the persistent reader finds a surprisingly warm and tolerant layer of humanity. And this despite a really intimidating barrage of bizarrerie, apparently set on Earth in our time. For instance, the narrator, Jake, goes up on the roof and meets - with immediate & intimate results - Callahan's daugher, Mary. So far, so normal - or at least identifiable, right? But then to cap it of ...more
Thomas
This was originally the end of the series. However, numerous spinoffs have been done. Timetravellers unite against alien roaches. Did MiB rip Spider off. As with the first two books, this is a series of stories from the point of view of Jake (aka Spider). They are fun and show the love and compassion that people can possess.

This is an enjoyable read. I highly recommend it for everyone who enjoys science fiction or the old TV show Cheers.
Jack
The third book in the Callahan's Crosstime Saloon series, it is on par with the other Callahan's books and an enjoyable read. What I like about the Callahan books is that he preaches through laughter.

I had the honor of sitting down and talking to Spider at Tri*No*Con in 2005 and we found we had a couple friends in common. He is one of the most unassuming, friendly authors I've ever met. He seems to constantly be surprised at his celebrity. About the only thing I didn't like that he did was to f
Hobbes
Jan 21, 2012 Hobbes rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Hobbes by: Devin Murphy
Oh my, I did not see that secret coming. According to the foreword this was the last Callahan story, but I have been told that there are many more. There are fewer stories in this book, but they are much longer and richer, and call in question perception. Human perception on the world and those in it. As human beings we tend to all think a certain way, to impose our perceptions of emotions and rationalizations onto others. But what happens when the person is not human, when their motivations are ...more
Otis Campbell
You're my little secret,
And that's how we should keep it.
Matt
I love this series and have read the books so many times that I actually started rereading this one backwards. I started with the last page and would read the page from top to bottom and then jump to the previous page. Sometimes I'd read paragraph by paragraph from the bottom to the top. It was actually pretty enjoyable and still full of suspense, though it did make my head hurt after the first 50 pages of reading backwards.
Peregrine 12
Dec 10, 2010 Peregrine 12 rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who might enjoy whimsical, Dr. Who-ish tales of time travelers and hard drinkers
If you want something different than what's out there today, reach back for this one. A fun collection of stories that are sort of sci-fi, sort of whimsical Dr. Who-ish tales of intergalactic travelers and people who enjoy strong liquor with their camaraderie. Descriptions so vivid it seems like a real place, and a place you'd want to visit if it were. Worth revisiting, I think...
Travis
During their efforts to save the world, the Callahan crew drinks a lot, puns and discovers the secret of Mick Callahan's secret origin and why the place is such a magnet for odd people and things.
Great stuff. Spider Robinson is one of my literary heroes.

Cupcakencorset
I really like Robinson's books overall, but his dialogue (especially of female characters) doesn't ring true many times. He and Heinlein share this deficiency, although Robinson is better than Heinlein at that. That said, I look forward to Robinson's books.
Alan
Another solid entry in the Callahan's series. This one is more of a single story than the related short stories that the prior books contained.
Longer review here: http://eyesandearsblog.blogspot.com/2...
Chris
Re-read the whole series 7/2012. All are feel-good light reading. Series goes gradually downhill, but all are enjoyable.
Ray Charbonneau
The ending gets a little overwrought. Still fun, but Callahan's was more fun when played on a smaller field.
EJD Dignan
The Callahan series, while punctuated with the occasional bon mot, is mostly a scifi inside joke and send up.
Lynda
I have always been disappointed that I could neer find a bar like Callahans.
Keith
I read this as part of the Callahan Chronicles.
Lori
Love this whole series.
Dragondreamsjen
Loved the twist...
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2014
Shedlon Wortlebucket
Shedlon Wortlebucket marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
David
David marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
  • Phule Me Twice (Phule's Company, #4)
  • Variable Star
  • Fangs for the Mammaries
  • Turn of the Cards (Wild Cards, #12)
  • Marked Cards (Wild Cards, #14)
  • John the Balladeer (Silver John)
  • Unidentified Funny Objects 2
  • Changer of Worlds (Worlds of Honor, #3)
  • The Last Defender of Camelot
  • The Stainless Steel Rat's Revenge (Stainless Steel Rat, #5)
  • Quicksilver's Knight (Warlock's Heirs, #2)
  • Tales From The White Hart
  • The Complete Compleat Enchanter
19317
Spider Robinson is an American-born Canadian Hugo and Nebula award winning science fiction author. He was born in the USA, but chose to live in Canada, and gained citizenship in his adopted country in 2002.

Robinson's writing career began in 1972 with a sale to "Analog Science Fiction" magazine of a story entitled, "The Guy With The Eyes". His writing proved popular, and his first novel saw print
More about Spider Robinson...
Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (Callahan's, #1) Callahan's Lady (Lady Sally's, #1:Callahan's Series, #4) Time Travellers Strictly Cash (Callahan's Series, #2) Lady Slings the Booze (Lady Sally's, #2: Callahan's Series, #5) The Callahan Chronicals (Callahan's Place Trilogy, #1-3) (Callahan's Series, #1-3)

“Sexual intercourse vests no property rights.” 14 likes