Start by marking “Secrets” as Want to Read:
Secrets

Secrets

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  756 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Can truth stay hidden for ever?

Set in the 1930's, the classic novel from bestselling author Lesley Pearse tells the story of one girl's struggle against cruelty and, her quest for love.

Twelve-year-old Adele Talbot's unhappy mother Rose succumbs to madness after a family tragedy and Adele is placed in a bleak children's home. But when her trust is betrayed she runs away - h
Published 2005 by Penguin Books (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Secrets, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Secrets

Roberta
Bellissimo polpettone romantico, Segreti inizia negli anni Trenta, protagonista Adele Talbot, una ragazzina apparentemente insignificante ma in realtà con un gran cuore. Adele vive in una famiglia che non le dà per nulla amore, la cocca di casa è la sorellina Pamela. Quando Pamela muore in un incidente stradale, la madre, Rose, impazzisce e aggredisce sia il marito che la figlia, incolpando quest'ultima di averle rovinato la vita. Adele scopre in questo frangente di essere il frutto di una relaz ...more
Nadia
Adele Talbot is twelve when her younger sister is killed in a road accident in London's Kings Cross, and her mother Rose - so devastated by the loss - begins to abuse her. Adele is sent to a children's home in Tunbridge Wells, but soon runs away to trace her grandmother- Honour who she has discovered lives in Sussex. But Honour is a bitter, eccentric woman who is not best pleased to see her granddaughter. Eventually the two forge some sort of bond and Honour allows Adele to stay. When Adele meet ...more
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all)
I picked this book up on a discount table, without really reading the blurb. I needed something to read on a long train journey, and it looked sort of Catherine Cookson. It is, and it isn't. The train was delayed in both directions, so though I didn't enjoy it much, I kept opening it, reading/skimming a bit, and then closing it, much to my travelling companion's amusement. I got a bit more than halfway through before I gave up: gave up to the place that instead of taking it home to try again ano ...more
Jennifer Leather
Romantic, heartwarming but at times heartbreaking story of courage in the worst possible circumstances. Set during the Second World War you can really picture what it must have been like for young couples in love and realise how easy we have it today! There were a few times where it was slightly predictable but then there would be another unseen twist you just wouldn't see coming. Well worth a read. 4 stars.
Caroline
I usually enjoy stories that take us through last century history and involve a generation of a family and this one tells a good story. It opens quite strongly and tells the sad tale of a little girl who seems to be unloved and unwanted. She is sent to a home where inevitably one of the "parents" abuses her so she runs away to her Grandmother's house, someone she's never met and who didn't know of her existence. The story turns a corner and good news starts before winding us into a tale that rev ...more
Roxie
wow....this author has grabbed my heart...a story about a child being abused..to moving in with her grandmother...to falling in love with a boy of upper class to her being thought as lower class..she becomes a nurse through the wars of hitler..and the secrets that pour out through the book keeps you reading and reading just to see what this little abusive girl has gone through and wonder, will she ever be happy?
Becky
Another emotional book, which has you gripped from beginning to end. I became incredibly emotionally invested in the characters, which is always a sign of a good book!
Ashiana Ramdass
A gripping story that offers a glimpse of life in early 20th century England.
Debbie
I miss Adele and Michael so much, I wish there could be a sequel! This may be my all-time favorite book!
Lisa-Marie Forge
I've read the majority of Lesley's books and there isn't one that I don't struggle to put down. This was no exception. I love the way the book takes you through different eras of Adele's life, with so many twists and likeable characters.
Michelle ♥ The Romance Vault ♥
This book has extra special meaning to me because at the time I read it some of the story was set not ten miles from where I lived, so the pages really did come to life.
Another fantastic book from one of my most favourite authors.
Lostinabook
How should I start?
This book is a whirlwind of confusion & love , I haven't read it in so long but what I do remember is the beautiful love shared between Michael & Adele. How I always wished I'd find someone like him :3
Alice
Ragazzine alle prese con adulti impossibili: madri per sbaglio, padri assenti i disonesti, patrigni violenti. una nonna buona e l'amicizia restituiscono alle due ragazzine la gioia di vivere. Anna Frank è il loro idolo.
Carol
This book was really good. There is a lot of language in the very beginning but it totally stops and the story is great. Set before and during WW II show how secrets can be long lasting and cause lots of problems.
Sharon
Enjoyed the beginning then the book started to drag. Half way through I was going to abandon it, but thought "well I've got this far...may as well finish it". Which I did. Predictable.
Brendared
well description of relationships between families, loved one, open up the secrets down deep inside everyone's heart....good
Yannick
it is an easy reading. I didn't want to close the book. I enjoyed it
Arif
Baştan sona sırlarla doluydu gerçekten. Sonunu da beğendim. ^_^
Fiona
I love this book so much, one of my absolute favourites.
Wendy
I loved this book although I 'read' it in audiobook.
Linda
Not one of this author's best books, but still readable.
Paula Curtis
a summer read and can be tearfull at times
Kerry
It was ok but it seemed to drag on a bit!
Kay Wells
it was ok but long winded would try another.
Patsy
May 11, 2010 Patsy added it
worth reading
Brenda
what i hv learnt from it: 1) the relationship between each one, tangled by love, secrets
2) finally all secrets can be opened up by frank to each other except the last secret
better to be kept.
  • An Outrageous Affair
  • The Jump
  • Too Good to Be True
  • Francesca's Party
  • Act of Faith
  • Vintage
Lesley Pearse is one of the UK's best-loved novelists with fans across the globe and sales of over 2 million copies of her books to date. A true storyteller and a master of gripping storylines that keep the reader hooked from beginning to end, Pearse introduces you to characters that it is impossible not to care about or forget. There is no formula to her books or easily defined genre. Whether cri ...more
More about Lesley Pearse...
Belle Remember Me Stolen Never Look Back The Promise