Start by marking “Secrets” as Want to Read:
Secrets

Secrets

4.21  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,007 Ratings  ·  42 Reviews
Can truth stay hidden for ever?

Set in the 1930's, the classic novel from bestselling author Lesley Pearse tells the story of one girl's struggle against cruelty and, her quest for love.

Twelve-year-old Adele Talbot's unhappy mother Rose succumbs to madness after a family tragedy and Adele is placed in a bleak children's home. But when her trust is betrayed she runs away - h
Published 2005 by Penguin Books (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Secrets, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Secrets

HÜLYA
Nov 15, 2015 HÜLYA rated it really liked it
Güzel bir romandı ancak Adele'nin annesi olan Rose kitabın sonunda kanatsız melek oldu.Bu bana biraz saçma gibi geldi..
Kitabın başında şeytan gibi bir kadındı kızına yapmadığını bırakmadı kızını terk etti bakım evlerine düşmesine sebep oldu.Kızcağız orada neredeyse tecavüze uğrayacaktı..
Ne yani hayat sana nasıl bir tekme atarsa atsın insan oğlu evladına bunları reva göremez. görürse de insan olamaz..
Romanda en sevdiğim karakter ise Adele'nin büyükannesi Honour idi..Tam devlet gibi kadın dediğini
HÜLYA
Nov 15, 2015 HÜLYA rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Roberta
Jun 17, 2015 Roberta rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2010, romance
Bellissimo polpettone romantico, Segreti inizia negli anni Trenta, protagonista Adele Talbot, una ragazzina apparentemente insignificante ma in realtà con un gran cuore. Adele vive in una famiglia che non le dà per nulla amore, la cocca di casa è la sorellina Pamela. Quando Pamela muore in un incidente stradale, la madre, Rose, impazzisce e aggredisce sia il marito che la figlia, incolpando quest'ultima di averle rovinato la vita. Adele scopre in questo frangente di essere il frutto di una relaz ...more
Nadia
Adele Talbot is twelve when her younger sister is killed in a road accident in London's Kings Cross, and her mother Rose - so devastated by the loss - begins to abuse her. Adele is sent to a children's home in Tunbridge Wells, but soon runs away to trace her grandmother- Honour who she has discovered lives in Sussex. But Honour is a bitter, eccentric woman who is not best pleased to see her granddaughter. Eventually the two forge some sort of bond and Honour allows Adele to stay. When Adele meet ...more
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all)
I picked this book up on a discount table, without really reading the blurb. I needed something to read on a long train journey, and it looked sort of Catherine Cookson. It is, and it isn't. The train was delayed in both directions, so though I didn't enjoy it much, I kept opening it, reading/skimming a bit, and then closing it, much to my travelling companion's amusement. I got a bit more than halfway through before I gave up: gave up to the place that instead of taking it home to try again ano ...more
Steph Dinning
Apr 09, 2015 Steph Dinning rated it it was amazing
A pleasant enjoyable read with interesting characters and a very much likeable main character in Adele Talbot. Not as sad or heartbreaking as a lot of Lesley Pearse's can be but therefore less twists and unexpected turns. The biggest shock I had already figured out its ending long before as really there was only one man in Adele's life and that was Michael Bailey so I knew that would somehow work itself out!
Jennifer Leather
May 04, 2014 Jennifer Leather rated it really liked it
Romantic, heartwarming but at times heartbreaking story of courage in the worst possible circumstances. Set during the Second World War you can really picture what it must have been like for young couples in love and realise how easy we have it today! There were a few times where it was slightly predictable but then there would be another unseen twist you just wouldn't see coming. Well worth a read. 4 stars.
Caroline
Jan 10, 2014 Caroline rated it really liked it
I usually enjoy stories that take us through last century history and involve a generation of a family and this one tells a good story. It opens quite strongly and tells the sad tale of a little girl who seems to be unloved and unwanted. She is sent to a home where inevitably one of the "parents" abuses her so she runs away to her Grandmother's house, someone she's never met and who didn't know of her existence. The story turns a corner and good news starts before winding us into a tale that rev ...more
Kristen Bobbitt
Feb 02, 2016 Kristen Bobbitt rated it it was amazing
Secrets is a very good book. Well written with unique and richly described characters. The first part of the story was very difficult to read, so heart breaking and disturbing. It made me cringe more than once to read but as the novel continued it was about growth and rebuilding after devastation. Leaves you feeling happy.
Roxie
Jul 15, 2014 Roxie rated it it was amazing
wow....this author has grabbed my heart...a story about a child being abused..to moving in with her grandmother...to falling in love with a boy of upper class to her being thought as lower class..she becomes a nurse through the wars of hitler..and the secrets that pour out through the book keeps you reading and reading just to see what this little abusive girl has gone through and wonder, will she ever be happy?
Neil Lowry
Another Great Story

Once again, Lesley Pearse has written a great story traversing the Second World War in Britain. Just enough surprises to make this a good read...
Becky
Jul 14, 2014 Becky rated it really liked it
Another emotional book, which has you gripped from beginning to end. I became incredibly emotionally invested in the characters, which is always a sign of a good book!
Elizabeth Larson
Aug 01, 2015 Elizabeth Larson rated it it was amazing
So amazing to have a novel catch you off guard just when you think you know what is going to happen...I shouted out "No way"... Loved it!!!
Ashiana Ramdass
Dec 23, 2014 Ashiana Ramdass rated it really liked it
A gripping story that offers a glimpse of life in early 20th century England.
Jo Sadgrove
Mar 06, 2016 Jo Sadgrove rated it it was amazing
Fantastic, great little twist of events
Denise La greca
Jun 27, 2015 Denise La greca rated it really liked it
Se non fosse stato per il finale avrei messo cinque stelle. Peccato.
Ronel Mick
Jan 25, 2016 Ronel Mick rated it really liked it
Heart warming family book
Gökçe
Oct 13, 2015 Gökçe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kitabı genel olarak beğendim. Tam benim hoşlanacağım bir tarzdaydı. Yalnız kitabın sonlarına doğru olayların bağlanışı, benim açımdan oldukça zayıftı. Onun dışında yine dönemini yansıtan, savaşı hissettiren bir kitaptı ki, bu benim açımdan çok güzeldi. Lesley Pearse ile bu kitapla tanıştım, diğer kitaplarını da severek okuyacağımı düşünüyorum.
Debbie
May 29, 2014 Debbie rated it it was amazing
I miss Adele and Michael so much, I wish there could be a sequel! This may be my all-time favorite book!
Sandra
Jun 26, 2014 Sandra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved it!
Lisa Derry
Nov 20, 2015 Lisa Derry rated it it was amazing
fantastic -they get better and better
Lisa-Marie Forge
Jan 18, 2014 Lisa-Marie Forge rated it really liked it
I've read the majority of Lesley's books and there isn't one that I don't struggle to put down. This was no exception. I love the way the book takes you through different eras of Adele's life, with so many twists and likeable characters.
Michelle ♥ The Romance Vault ♥
This book has extra special meaning to me because at the time I read it some of the story was set not ten miles from where I lived, so the pages really did come to life.
Another fantastic book from one of my most favourite authors.
Catarina
Jul 01, 2016 Catarina rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, ebook
Foi um livro muito bom, cheio de segredos, voltas e viravoltas que muitas vezes (a maioria delas) não estávamos à espera.
Mas não gostei que não tivessem contado a verdade ao Michael, já que teve muito impacto na vida dele.
Lostinabook
Mar 31, 2013 Lostinabook rated it it was amazing
How should I start?
This book is a whirlwind of confusion & love , I haven't read it in so long but what I do remember is the beautiful love shared between Michael & Adele. How I always wished I'd find someone like him :3
Alice
Nov 14, 2010 Alice rated it it was amazing
Ragazzine alle prese con adulti impossibili: madri per sbaglio, padri assenti i disonesti, patrigni violenti. una nonna buona e l'amicizia restituiscono alle due ragazzine la gioia di vivere. Anna Frank è il loro idolo.
Carol
Apr 08, 2009 Carol rated it really liked it
This book was really good. There is a lot of language in the very beginning but it totally stops and the story is great. Set before and during WW II show how secrets can be long lasting and cause lots of problems.
Sharon
Enjoyed the beginning then the book started to drag. Half way through I was going to abandon it, but thought "well I've got this far...may as well finish it". Which I did. Predictable.
Brendared
Aug 25, 2010 Brendared rated it really liked it
well description of relationships between families, loved one, open up the secrets down deep inside everyone's heart....good
Janine Hanko
Mar 12, 2016 Janine Hanko rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing read. Another great Lesley Pearce. Probably one of my favs. Not as depressing as some of hers can be.
  • An Outrageous Affair
  • Tall, Dark and Handsome
  • Double Wedding
  • Too Good To Be True
  • The Jump
  • Vengeance
  • The Loves of Charles II (Stuart Saga, #2-4)
  • Tainted Lives
  • Score!
  • Act of Faith
Lesley Pearse is one of the UK's best-loved novelists with fans across the globe and sales of over 2 million copies of her books to date. A true storyteller and a master of gripping storylines that keep the reader hooked from beginning to end, Pearse introduces you to characters that it is impossible not to care about or forget. There is no formula to her books or easily defined genre. Whether cri ...more
More about Lesley Pearse...