Start by marking “Knut: How One Little Polar Bear Captivated The World” as Want to Read:
Knut: How One Little Polar Bear Captivated The World

Knut: How One Little Polar Bear Captivated The World

4.12  ·  Rating Details  ·  204 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
From the bestselling author of Owen & Mzee, a picture book about Knut, the adorable polar bear cub who's captured hearts around the world.

When Knut was born, the first polar bear cub at the Berlin Zoo in more than thirty years, he was no bigger than a snowball and unable to care for himself. His mother, a rescued East German circus bear, didn't know how to take care of
Published November 1st 2007 by Scholastic Press (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Knut, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Knut

Emil and the Detectives by Erich KästnerThe Book Thief by Markus ZusakThe Flying Classroom by Erich KästnerThe Complete Grimm's Fairy Tales by Jacob GrimmThe Robber Hotzenplotz by Otfried Preußler
Germany
32nd out of 100 books — 51 voters
Over and Under the Snow by Kate MessnerOwl Moon by Jane YolenThe Mitten by Jan BrettWaiting for Winter by Sebastian MeschenmoserLost and Found by Oliver Jeffers
Picture Books About Snow Animals
55th out of 109 books — 22 voters

More lists with this book...

Manybooks
Feb 21, 2016 Manybooks rated it liked it
Recommends it for: older children interested in polar bears (with a caveat, as Knut has since died)
Although I find this book heartwarming in and of itself, the fact that Knut, the polar bear, died in 2011, and that his caretaker, Thomas Dörflein, had previously passed away in 2008, makes this story also feel somewhat bittersweet (even potentially melancholy). Like other books by the Hatkoffs, the photographs are again the star here, amazing and absolutely wonderful (for me, there is often nothing quite as cute and as sweet as a fluffy white polar bear cub exploring its surroundings, and Knut ...more
Sarah Adamson
A biographical book about the polar bear cub born in a German zoo and abandoned by his mother. The book tells the salient points of the story without glossing over the death of his twin or the maternal rejection. It has good pictures and good descriptions of the different aspects of his growth.
The book ends with him being successfully integrated into the zoo.
Unfortunately since then Knut's story became sad as he unfortunately died as did his human carer.
This book covers most of his young life
Joanna Marple
Oct 20, 2011 Joanna Marple rated it it was amazing
How One Little Polar Bear Captivated the World by Craig Hatkoff, Juliana Hatkoff, Isabella Hatkoff and Dr. Gerald R. Uhlichis a wonderful Picture Book about the life of Knut.

Knut’s mum was a rescued East German circus bear and when Knut was born he was around the size of a snowball. After his mother’s rejection, Knut would have most definitely died were it not for great veterinary care and then the zookeeper, Thomas Dorflein, who did some round the clock surrogate parenting for many months. Thom
Heather
Jan 26, 2016 Heather rated it it was amazing
I've seen this book on the library shelf many times and just walked by it. However, last week, my daughter saw it and put it in her library bag. I am so glad that she did! It is a great book and it illicited so many questions from my 5 year old (Why are polar bears dying? Why don't they have so many places to live anymore? Why are people so mean? What can I do?) More importantly, it made her feel. She felt happy for Knut. She felt angry that people are destroying our Earth. She felt joy as she l ...more
Maria Estrada
Apr 24, 2016 Maria Estrada rated it it was amazing
This is an informative book on a little polar bear name Knut who had a very tough life but was able to survive and live due to the help of doctors and the chief bear keeper, Andre Schule. Knut is a miracle and his story is amazing! I love how this book stays true to the facts of this little polar bear and how it includes actual photographs of him. This polar bear is so small and I like how you can see how small it is through the pictures. This book is great because it also includes facts about p ...more
Peacegal
Feb 12, 2011 Peacegal rated it liked it
Knut, the polar bear cub who spawned a million chain emails, is the cuddly subject of this offering from the authors of Owen & Mzee.

The world-famous cub was born at the Berlin Zoo in December 2006. After his mother refused to care for him, he was put in the 24-hour-care of zookeeper Thomas Dörflein, who raised him much as one would a human infant. It’s here that the text gets a little dishonest. Wild animal mothers don’t always know how to take care of their babies, the book reads. While it
babyhippoface
The authors of bestseller Owen & Mzee tell the story of a baby polar bear born at Zoo Berlin and hand-raised by bear keeper Thomas Dorflein. Large, crisp, color photographs of the adorable little bear will spark the interest of young animal-lovers and the straightforward narrative of all Thomas had to do to ensure Knut’s health and well-being will maintain interest. More information about polar bears, including appearance, diet, habitat and range and mother bears’ habits are given in an appe ...more
Sara Brockunier
Feb 16, 2016 Sara Brockunier rated it it was amazing
Great Little book with good photos....
Liesl
Too wordy for my 3-year-old to fully appreciate, but I certainly enjoyed learning more about Knut's early days and the close bond that he developed with zookeeper Thomas. Although this is far from Knut's full story and a brief preface or epilogue covering the rest of his life in later editions would have been enlightening, it's a satisfying kid-friendly condensation that ties in useful information about polar bears and the difficulties that they face in today's world.
BGP
Dec 28, 2010 BGP rated it liked it
This was a white elephant gift, inspired by my amusement with the frankly insane demands of the extreme left wing of the German Green/Animal Rights movement (to quote one of its more prominent members (from Bild, via CNN): "'Feeding by hand is not species-appropriate but a gross violation of animal protection laws... [T]he zoo must kill the bear'"). Be that as it may, I have every reason to believe that the book will please the children it was created for, as well.
Lauren
Oct 17, 2012 Lauren rated it it was amazing
This was a story about a polar bear in Berlin that was rejected by his mothers. The zoo keepers then cared for the baby polar bear until he was able to survive on his own. I think this book is intended for all ages. It was a great fit because it takes about an endangered animal that you often get to see in the zoo but you never really know how they got there. I would use this in a science class when we are talking about endangered species!
Janet Chen
Mar 17, 2011 Janet Chen rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
Just like the books on Owen and Mzee, this book is about a real animal and the hard times he has gone through. The book style is very similar and it has real life pictures to illustrate the book. I think it is captivating to me as an adult and would definitely capture the attention of young students. It really shows how people/ animals can overcome a hard time to become happy and find someone to love him/her.
Alice
Oct 17, 2012 Alice rated it really liked it
This is a cute little story and I love the way it is written in simple terms. Knut was born in a zoo and his mother did not take care of him (which the book states is common in the wild) Knut was adopted by Thomas who worked at the Berlin Zoo. With his help Knut survived and thrived. This polar bear is just so cute I want to hug him like a stuffed animal!!! Good late elementary school non fiction!!!
Kimberly Caldwell
Sep 21, 2011 Kimberly Caldwell rated it really liked it
Shelves: 544-books
Information/Biography - 2007 I was drawn to this book after falling in love with Owen and Mzee. Knut tells the story of Thomas (a zookeeper) and the polar bear cub (Knut) he rescues and raises. I am excited to share this with my students as I think they will be drawn to the story and real pictures included in the text.
Rundle Family
Jun 10, 2012 Rundle Family rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sonia: Knut is really cute! He is a baby polar bear and he doesn't scare anybody. And he doesn't eat anybody and he loves everybody!

Maddie: Everything. The pictures are beautiful. I like the panda bear, all kinds of bears, but this is my favorite kind of bears. But my favorite kind of bear is a polar bear.
Sandy
Oct 31, 2009 Sandy rated it it was amazing
This is a great book! It is a true story about how a zookeeper saved a baby polar bear and the bond that the two developed as the baby polar bear, Knut, grew up. It is a non-fiction book but I would still consider it a picture book. The text would be difficult for younger kids to understand though.
Andrea Labonte
Jan 14, 2014 Andrea Labonte rated it it was amazing
A little lengthily but great book
Stephanie
Jan 28, 2009 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrensbooks
This is an incredibly cute book, with incredibly cute pictures. (Literally) anyone who's a sucker for baby animals (particularly polar bears, in this case) will love this; it just happens to be a kids book. :)?
Sara
Oct 06, 2012 Sara rated it it was amazing
This story is about a cute little baby polar bear and how everyone fell in love with him. It has a great story line and lots of photos. My sister got me this one Christmas. I recommend this book!
Abbey Smith
Knut is an incredible story about a baby polar bear. The photographs are amazing and my students were immediately drawn into the story. Great non fiction book to have in my classroom!
Mrs Royle
Nov 12, 2010 Mrs Royle rated it really liked it
Shelves: 40-books
I am so glad I was introduced to this series of books. I think I know have them all. In all of these books, you can't help but have your heart go out to these little ones.
Karen Bessin
Very effective mentor text for young writer's of informational texts. Demonstrates a variety of approaches to a topic and a perspective that brings the topic alive for readers.
Jessica
Mar 10, 2008 Jessica rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this true story of a little polar bear who survived and thrived in captivity due to the love and care of a very devoted caretaker in the Berlin Zoo.
Carissa
Jun 02, 2013 Carissa rated it liked it
A tiny polar bear is hand-raised in Germany when its mother rejects it. The story of Knut ignites conservation efforts for the polar bear.
Donna-Lee
Feb 05, 2010 Donna-Lee rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
This polar bear puppet ties in nicely with the story ...
Julie
Nov 02, 2007 Julie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mittenaward2007
I loved Knut! The pictures are great. The story is very accessible for kids and I love the tips on how to save polar bear habitats, etc.
Susan
Jun 30, 2009 Susan rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Beautiful story about the survival of a baby polar bear now in a German zoo. Great read for children and adults.
Darleen Roche
Oct 08, 2008 Darleen Roche rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Children 1st to 4th grade
Knut is a real story of a little polar bear that was born in a zoo in Germany. Follow Knut as he grows.
Marisa
May 09, 2008 Marisa rated it it was amazing
OMG, this book contains maybe the cutest pictures ever taken. I must take this home to show Matt...
Carrie
Oct 06, 2008 Carrie rated it really liked it
If you want to see the cutest animal, read this book! I had to check it out to show James. :)
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Wild Tracks!: A Guide to Nature's Footprints
  • Can We Save the Tiger?
  • One Tiny Turtle: Read and Wonder
  • United Tweets of America: 50 State Birds, Their Stories, Their Glories
  • Boy, Were  We Wrong About Dinosaurs!
  • Pumpkin Circle: The Story of a Garden