Start by marking “Knut: How One Little Polar Bear Captivated The World” as Want to Read:
Knut: How One Little Polar Bear Captivated The World

Knut: How One Little Polar Bear Captivated The World

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  170 ratings  ·  32 reviews
From the bestselling author of Owen & Mzee, a picture book about Knut, the adorable polar bear cub who's captured hearts around the world.

When Knut was born, the first polar bear cub at the Berlin Zoo in more than thirty years, he was no bigger than a snowball and unable to care for himself. His mother, a rescued East German circus bear, didn't know how to take care of
Published November 1st 2007 by Scholastic Press (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Knut, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Knut

The Book Thief by Markus ZusakEmil and the Detectives by Erich KästnerThe Flying Classroom by Erich KästnerThe Complete Grimm's Fairy Tales by Jacob GrimmThe Robber Hotzenplotz by Otfried Preußler
Germany
23rd out of 90 books — 44 voters
Over and Under the Snow by Kate MessnerWaiting for Winter by Sebastian MeschenmoserThe Mitten by Jan BrettOwl Moon by Jane YolenLost and Found by Oliver Jeffers
Picture Books About Snow Animals
47th out of 100 books — 12 voters

More lists with this book...

Gundula
Sep 16, 2013 Gundula rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: older children interested in polar bears (with a caveat, as Knut has since died)
Although I find this book heartwarming in and of itself, the fact that Knut, the polar bear, died in 2011, and that his caretaker, Thomas Dörflein, had previously passed away in 2008, makes this story also feel somewhat bittersweet (even potentially melancholy). Like other books by the Hatkoffs, the photographs are again the star here, amazing and absolutely wonderful (for me, there is often nothing quite as cute and as sweet as a fluffy white polar bear cub exploring its surroundings, and Knut ...more
Joanna Marple
How One Little Polar Bear Captivated the World by Craig Hatkoff, Juliana Hatkoff, Isabella Hatkoff and Dr. Gerald R. Uhlichis a wonderful Picture Book about the life of Knut.

Knut’s mum was a rescued East German circus bear and when Knut was born he was around the size of a snowball. After his mother’s rejection, Knut would have most definitely died were it not for great veterinary care and then the zookeeper, Thomas Dorflein, who did some round the clock surrogate parenting for many months. Thom
Peacegal
Knut, the polar bear cub who spawned a million chain emails, is the cuddly subject of this offering from the authors of Owen & Mzee.

The world-famous cub was born at the Berlin Zoo in December 2006. After his mother refused to care for him, he was put in the 24-hour-care of zookeeper Thomas Dörflein, who raised him much as one would a human infant. It’s here that the text gets a little dishonest. Wild animal mothers don’t always know how to take care of their babies, the book reads. While it
babyhippoface
The authors of bestseller Owen & Mzee tell the story of a baby polar bear born at Zoo Berlin and hand-raised by bear keeper Thomas Dorflein. Large, crisp, color photographs of the adorable little bear will spark the interest of young animal-lovers and the straightforward narrative of all Thomas had to do to ensure Knut’s health and well-being will maintain interest. More information about polar bears, including appearance, diet, habitat and range and mother bears’ habits are given in an appe ...more
BGP
This was a white elephant gift, inspired by my amusement with the frankly insane demands of the extreme left wing of the German Green/Animal Rights movement (to quote one of its more prominent members (from Bild, via CNN): "'Feeding by hand is not species-appropriate but a gross violation of animal protection laws... [T]he zoo must kill the bear'"). Be that as it may, I have every reason to believe that the book will please the children it was created for, as well.
Lauren
This was a story about a polar bear in Berlin that was rejected by his mothers. The zoo keepers then cared for the baby polar bear until he was able to survive on his own. I think this book is intended for all ages. It was a great fit because it takes about an endangered animal that you often get to see in the zoo but you never really know how they got there. I would use this in a science class when we are talking about endangered species!
Janet Chen
Just like the books on Owen and Mzee, this book is about a real animal and the hard times he has gone through. The book style is very similar and it has real life pictures to illustrate the book. I think it is captivating to me as an adult and would definitely capture the attention of young students. It really shows how people/ animals can overcome a hard time to become happy and find someone to love him/her.
Alice
This is a cute little story and I love the way it is written in simple terms. Knut was born in a zoo and his mother did not take care of him (which the book states is common in the wild) Knut was adopted by Thomas who worked at the Berlin Zoo. With his help Knut survived and thrived. This polar bear is just so cute I want to hug him like a stuffed animal!!! Good late elementary school non fiction!!!
Kimberly Caldwell
Information/Biography - 2007 I was drawn to this book after falling in love with Owen and Mzee. Knut tells the story of Thomas (a zookeeper) and the polar bear cub (Knut) he rescues and raises. I am excited to share this with my students as I think they will be drawn to the story and real pictures included in the text.
Rundle Family
Sonia: Knut is really cute! He is a baby polar bear and he doesn't scare anybody. And he doesn't eat anybody and he loves everybody!

Maddie: Everything. The pictures are beautiful. I like the panda bear, all kinds of bears, but this is my favorite kind of bears. But my favorite kind of bear is a polar bear.
Sandy
This is a great book! It is a true story about how a zookeeper saved a baby polar bear and the bond that the two developed as the baby polar bear, Knut, grew up. It is a non-fiction book but I would still consider it a picture book. The text would be difficult for younger kids to understand though.
Arielle
Who doesn't love baby polar bears? They are so darn cute. This is the sweet story of Knut, a polar bear who was born in Germany on December 5, 2006. His mama couldn't care for him so Thomas, a bear keeper at the zoo, became Knut's "foster father". The photographs will melt your heart!

Andrea Labonte
A little lengthily but great book
Stephanie
This is an incredibly cute book, with incredibly cute pictures. (Literally) anyone who's a sucker for baby animals (particularly polar bears, in this case) will love this; it just happens to be a kids book. :)?
Sara
This story is about a cute little baby polar bear and how everyone fell in love with him. It has a great story line and lots of photos. My sister got me this one Christmas. I recommend this book!
Abbey Smith
Knut is an incredible story about a baby polar bear. The photographs are amazing and my students were immediately drawn into the story. Great non fiction book to have in my classroom!
Mrs Royle
I am so glad I was introduced to this series of books. I think I know have them all. In all of these books, you can't help but have your heart go out to these little ones.
Karen Bessin
Very effective mentor text for young writer's of informational texts. Demonstrates a variety of approaches to a topic and a perspective that brings the topic alive for readers.
Jessica
I LOVED this true story of a little polar bear who survived and thrived in captivity due to the love and care of a very devoted caretaker in the Berlin Zoo.
Carissa
A tiny polar bear is hand-raised in Germany when its mother rejects it. The story of Knut ignites conservation efforts for the polar bear.
Donna-Lee
This polar bear puppet ties in nicely with the story ...
Julie
I loved Knut! The pictures are great. The story is very accessible for kids and I love the tips on how to save polar bear habitats, etc.
Susan
Beautiful story about the survival of a baby polar bear now in a German zoo. Great read for children and adults.
Darleen Roche
Oct 08, 2008 Darleen Roche rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Children 1st to 4th grade
Knut is a real story of a little polar bear that was born in a zoo in Germany. Follow Knut as he grows.
Marisa
OMG, this book contains maybe the cutest pictures ever taken. I must take this home to show Matt...
Carrie
If you want to see the cutest animal, read this book! I had to check it out to show James. :)
Kaethe
Cuter than all cuteness. Capable of bringing down the entire grid of cuteness.
Not as good as "Owen and Mzee" by the same family, but still a good one!
Jen H.
Perfect board book for babies. Colorful, bright photos of Knut the polar bear.
Teri
  • Once I Ate a Pie
  • Wonder Horse: The True Story of the World's Smartest Horse
  • Science Verse
  • A Seed Is Sleepy
Winter's Tail: How One Little Dolphin Learned to Swim Again Looking For Miza: The True Story of the Mountain Gorilla Family Who Rescued One of Their Own Hope for Winter: The True Story of a Remarkable Dolphin Friendship Good-bye, Tonsils Leo the Snow Leopard