Start by marking “A Cup of Comfort for Writers: Inspirational Stories That Celebrate the Literary Life” as Want to Read:

As every writer knows, keeping the faith isn't always easy. On those days when you find yourself literally at a loss for words, you may long for a little writer's TLC. In "A Cup of Comfort for Writers," you'll meet more than fifty writers who, just like you, have faced down that empty page and won! From a woman who enters an elite writing program at the age of forty, and ...more
Published September 1st 2007 by Adams Media Corporation (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about A Cup of Comfort for Writers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Cup of Comfort for Writers

Aida
Sep 20, 2015 Aida rated it it was ok
I picked out this book imagining that it'll get me inspired to write as a quote I read somewhere during my teenage years that "Those who read will write"... or something like that.

I've read not more than 1/4 of this book when I realised that this book is less about the comfort but more about precautions, desperations, rejections and frustrations.

There's nothing inspiring to read about and I decided to lay it down and take another to fill my time with.

If you know me well, you will know that I'
Ashley Lynn
Apr 13, 2016 Ashley Lynn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Writers.
Recommended to Ashley by: Found at thrift store.
3.75/5 Stars

This is a collection of short stories written by writers to help inspire, or more so make other writers feel like they’re not alone in their struggle. Most of the stories are very short, on average 5 pages, so there are quite a few contained in this small volume.

I don’t have a whole lot to say about this book, so I guess really I probably shouldn’t be writing a review to begin with, yet here I am writing it.

There’s no way I can go into detail about each story because there are like 5
Sarah Joyce Bryant
Nov 24, 2009 Sarah Joyce Bryant rated it really liked it
As I began my journey into the writing life, I went in search of books that would inspire me - especially when I felt like giving up. This book did exactly that and more. Some of the essays addressed the follies experienced by new writers when sending their work out into the world and others addressed the feelings associated with the inevitable rejections letters that follow. What I gained from reading this book was a sense of camaraderie with other writers that have blazed this trail before me ...more
Lisa Glase
Feb 06, 2013 Lisa Glase rated it liked it
This a book that probably only a writer could love - and since I'm a fledgling writer, I loved it! The stories were definitely "comforting" to me as the title suggests and made me feel I'm not alone in my insecurities about my writing. Even seasoned writers run into road blocks (or writer's block!), so all beginning writers should take heart!

P.S. Thanks Suzanne, for the loan!
Airiz C
Feb 13, 2011 Airiz C rated it it was amazing
A friend gave this to me as a gift, and it's the first "A Cup of Comfort" book that I've ever read. Writers--professional or otherwise--share their stories about their journey towards their dream of penning their own books, encountering a lot of experiences (most of them life-changing) along the way. This is a great help for me. As an aspiring writer myself, I know that the road to being a successful novelist isn't a well-paved (or a well-paid) path. Reading stories of other writers seemed to ...more
Beth Cato
Apr 10, 2012 Beth Cato rated it liked it
Shelves: in, 2008, nonfiction, anthology
I was fortunate enough to win a copy of this book on The Writer Mama Blog that was signed by Lisa Romeo, one of the contributors.[return][return]This is a very long anthology - over 300 pages - of essays on what it means to be a writer. This varies greatly depending on the voice and the background of each writer, and some of the stories are excellent. The main weakness in this book is that almost all the authors were women. I believe there were only two male authors at all. I suppose that points ...more
Datolong
Jun 28, 2009 Datolong rated it it was ok
Supposed to be an inspirational read. Not really. Bought it because the author lives in Eugene, Oregon where I studied 30 years ago! Perhaps I am too cowed by my lack of confidence to write....to really appreciate the renderings by published writers. Just another book on writing for my bookshelf.
Anna
Aug 14, 2012 Anna rated it liked it
Shelves: books-of-2012
I really loved this book! It definitely has inspiring stories for writers that give you a little push to get off you butt and keep writing. I wasn't moved by all of the stories but a few definitely impacted me. For writers and inspiring writers I would recommend it!
Tiyarny
Oct 27, 2011 Tiyarny rated it it was amazing
I loved reading that these writes had/ have doubt too. However, they push past fear to write again. Very inspiring
Jen Catudio
Jen Catudio rated it liked it
Aug 27, 2011
Amie Hartwig
Amie Hartwig rated it it was amazing
Apr 05, 2013
Pravieta
Pravieta rated it it was amazing
Dec 17, 2009
Nikki
Apr 28, 2009 Nikki rated it it was amazing
Great comfort
Meghan Sochocki
Meghan Sochocki rated it liked it
Aug 01, 2014
Brenda Moffitt
Brenda Moffitt rated it it was ok
Jun 22, 2016
Naley Gonzalez
Naley Gonzalez rated it it was amazing
Jun 03, 2015
eamhanoj
eamhanoj rated it it was amazing
Dec 23, 2014
Penelope
Penelope rated it really liked it
Jul 01, 2009
D Lynn
D Lynn rated it it was amazing
Apr 27, 2015
Kara
Kara rated it really liked it
Oct 28, 2016
Julie M
Julie M rated it really liked it
Jul 07, 2009
Vixey
Vixey rated it it was amazing
Nov 14, 2012
Ruth Milligan
Ruth Milligan rated it it was ok
Oct 25, 2013
Lisa
Lisa rated it it was amazing
Jun 22, 2010
Katie K
Katie K rated it it was ok
Jun 24, 2014
Kristen
Kristen rated it liked it
Dec 31, 2013
Angie Scott
Angie Scott rated it it was amazing
Apr 17, 2013
Chloe Perez
Chloe Perez rated it liked it
Jan 11, 2016
Kristen
Kristen rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2011
Antara Banerjee
Antara Banerjee rated it liked it
Mar 21, 2013
32047
Colleen Sell is a freelance writer and editor with expertise in book and magazine development and a passion for storytelling. Her professional experience also includes content development & management and marketing communications development & management.

Since 1999, Colleen has provided writing, editing, ghostwriting, proofreading, editorial development, content management, publishing cons
More about Colleen Sell...