Start by marking “As Luck Would Have It: Incredible Stories from Lottery Wins to Lightning Strikes” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
As Luck Would Have It:...

Joshua Piven

Once upon a time there was a swimming pool repairman who only had a hundred-dollar bill to pay for a hot dog. He requested his change in lottery tickets and subsequently won $180 million. Strange, but wonderfully true. In this insightful, thoroughly entertaining book, countless similar case studies of "as luck would have it" situations are presented. Interweaving the subje ...more
Published August 30th 2003 by Diane Pub Co (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about As Luck Would Have It, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about As Luck Would Have It

Samantha Grabelle
Apr 17, 2016 Samantha Grabelle rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: listened-to
I didn't even finish listening to it. So boring. It wasn't even clear how he was defining luck. The section on the song "867-5309 Jenny" was simply a biography of the songmakers. I do think that making a hit song does involve some luck but there is a lot of work and sociological/psychological knowledge that goes into giving it a hook, getting it played, getting a good video on MTV (back then), and creating an image for the band. Each section's denouement was dissatisfying.
John Stieven
Apr 13, 2016 John Stieven rated it really liked it
Stories about how 'luck' plays into many people's lives and how they deal with it. OK -- not great. There is the story of the Pet Rock which I found interesting from one who lived through the mania!
Melissa
A random off the library shelf pick that was good. I would have loved it to be more than telling stories of luck. Maybe some research. Though to be fair luck research is hard to do.
Crystal Velasquez
Fun read. Basically it tells the stories of various people who have either had incredibly good luck or incredibly bad luck and how it shaped their lives. (The guy who invented the pet rock had a pretty interesting story. And a couple of others who survived plane crashes or engine failures.) It leaves you with the notion that good and bad circumstances can be considered lucky, depending on what you do with the opportunities you are presented. Also, preparation is a huge part of putting yourself i ...more
Red
I'm used to nonfiction books with more in depth looks at a subject, and this book seemed to bounce around. There wasn't any connection between the stories except they were all about people who had their luck change one way or the other. The stories were interesting (how the pet rock got started, the story behind 867-5309, the Cabbage Patch craze and the Pokemon craze), but this isn't a book I'll read again. I like meatier nonfiction.
Maura
This is a good book for anyone interested in facts and data. The stories are interesting but the author packs them full of info and sometimes leaves the story behind. It would be great for a trivia buff. I found it interesting because it gives lots of info on the back-stories of "the pet rock", Pokemon, Cabbage Patch dolls, as well as unknown stories about a lotto winner, an airplane crash surviver and a lightning strike victim.
Sidra
I did enjoy the book, albeit taking a long time to finish it. The story about how we have to make our own luck really got through to me. I agree with it.. some of us just notice more, and make quicker decisions.
Sabrina Rutter
Truthfully there was two or three storys that I read all the way through. The topic in each little story was interesting, but the way it was written took all the fun out of reading it.
Gretchen
Mar 01, 2012 Gretchen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not bad for a quick, easy read. Most of the stories are interesting. This lacks any in-depth information, though, and a few of the stories are a bit boring and contain unnecessary details.
Amy
Aug 01, 2010 Amy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It was kind of interesting, but the author went into WAY too much detail. I felt like I was reading his complete notes and research of the book instead of the final draft.
Aimee
May 22, 2010 Aimee rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
read the jist of each of the stories ....thought the author went on with boring unimportant details ....was a really random and poorly put together collection of stories IMO
Mary
Sep 11, 2008 Mary rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An ok quick read. Not much depth - but then that's not the writer's intent in this small book. More of a quick research book, a collection of observations . . . zzzzzzzzz
Jennifer Short
Mar 03, 2010 Jennifer Short rated it liked it
A collection of stories about good luck or bad luck. The one about Tommy TuTone seemed to go on forever, but then a few were absoltuely facinating.
Barbara
Some interesting stories. Not engaging enough to read straight through. The writer offers no interesting insights.
Julian
A very entertaining and quick read about luck. Maybe I should invest $100 in Lotto tickets. We shall see...
Julie
Jun 06, 2010 Julie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Many mini stories, first couple were the best, listened to in car on CD
Cindy
Feb 06, 2010 Cindy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Read the first story, skimmed the second and third, didn't read the last few.
Barb
Aug 01, 2008 Barb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Everything happens for a reason And LUCK does really exist!
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
What is the nature of luck? Stories from real life.
Libby
"Defensive pessimism" - me in a nutshell.
Linnae
Sep 10, 2013 Linnae rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: true-tales
Liked the stories--too much analysis.
Wendy
Feb 29, 2012 Wendy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great stories and easy read
Daniel
Daniel rated it did not like it
Aug 18, 2016
Lauren
Lauren rated it liked it
Aug 04, 2016
Nicoletta Rojo
Nicoletta Rojo marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2016
Nikita
Nikita added it
Jul 02, 2016
Thai
Thai marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Josh Piven is a television writer and producer, speechwriter, playwright, and the author or co-author of more than twenty non-fiction and humor books, including the worldwide best-selling The Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook series.

He wrote the teleplay and serves as producer of Don The Beekeeper, a half-hour children’s TV show about honeybees and urban beekeeping. His most recent stage play,
More about Joshua Piven...