Start by marking “Gordon's Got a Snookie” as Want to Read:

4.28  ·  Rating Details  ·  18 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
This cheeky, bouncing, infectiously happy children's story about a big, strong, hairy gorilla not living up to his image is a pleasure to read aloud. To the shock of the other animals, who ridicule him mercilessly, Gordon proudly walks around with his security blanket. Full of energy and tenderness, the story explores bullying and teasing as well as strength and acceptance ...more
Published May 1st 2005 by Allen & Unwin (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Gordon's Got a Snookie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gordon's Got a Snookie

Heather Gallagher
Apr 12, 2015 Heather Gallagher rated it it was amazing
I re-borrowed this recently to try and figure out exactly why I think this is as close as you can get to a perfect picture book. For one thing - it's really funny - and it works on multiple levels. I love it that the girl gorillas who are waiting for Gordon (the new great ape to come to the zoo) are basically lying in bed having sexual fantasies about him. I don't think I'm reading too much into it to say this is for parent (Mum?) readers but kids would also find it funny in a quite innocent way ...more
Jordan Brown
Feb 03, 2014 Jordan Brown rated it liked it
Shelves: for-etl-2368
Author: Lisa Shanahan
Illustrator: Wayne Harris
Reading Level: Ages 3-7

Shanahan, Lisa (2002). Gordon's Got a Snookie. Australia: Allen & Unwin

Gordon's Got a Snookie is the tale of a gorilla named Gordon, and his struggle to gain acceptance from his fellow zoo animals because he carries around a blanket for comfort--which the other animals find childish and hilarious, especially given their preconceived notions that he was a macho gorilla.

This book is not unique. At it's
Nikki
Aug 24, 2014 Nikki rated it it was amazing
Great for kids of all ages, even my teens loved it! It has a great moral and is such a fun and hilarious book :)
Kate
Jun 29, 2014 Kate rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I have been reading this picture book on and off for seven years to my class visits and during preschool storytime.
Shallowreader VaVeros
This a fabulous book. In my top 10 picture books of all time. The zoo gets a silverback to service the ladies but when he turns up with a snookie he gets teased and laughed at. It's all about bullying, acceptance, fitting in and, of course, appealing to e ladies.
Sep 02, 2008 Laura rated it liked it
Shelves: read-to-caden
Teachers will understand what I mean when I say the voice in this book is incredible, but not necessarily appropriate for the 3-year-old in my house. Haven't quite figured out how I feel about the strong hunky gorilla sent in to make the ladies swoon, either...
Alan
Nov 02, 2009 Alan rated it it was amazing
I'm a theater specialist and am always looking for fun stories to dramatize for my students. This book is just fun! Lots of great characters, nice message, very engaging. My students love it (they still talk about it).
Ted
Apr 18, 2008 Ted rated it it was amazing
A manly gorilla fights an epic internal struggle between living up to societal expectations and at the same time letting his sensitive side flourish.
Robyn
Apr 17, 2008 Robyn rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
when we got this, nick thought it might be about one of our church leaders, with the same name. oooh eee
Emily
Emily added it
Mar 15, 2016
Stephen Morris
Stephen Morris marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2016
Nirmal Bhandari
Nirmal Bhandari marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2015
Yomna.Ibrahim
Yomna.Ibrahim marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2015
Paulina Van
Paulina Van marked it as to-read
May 18, 2015
Puppys
Puppys marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2015
Sonia Mcallister
Sonia Mcallister marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2015
Peta
Peta rated it it was amazing
Oct 16, 2014
Daniella Riccio
Daniella Riccio marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Pete Nettell
Pete Nettell rated it it was amazing
Aug 07, 2014
Michelle
Michelle rated it liked it
Jan 15, 2014
Pool
Pool added it
Nov 27, 2013
Penny Reeve
Penny Reeve rated it liked it
Sep 29, 2013
Sarah rated it it was amazing
Jun 16, 2013
E R
E R marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2013
Lucy Rice
Lucy Rice rated it it was amazing
Dec 30, 2012
Megan
Megan rated it it was amazing
Dec 29, 2012
Cora
Cora marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2012
Librarylinda
Librarylinda rated it it was amazing
Mar 15, 2012