Start by marking “Lost Boys: Why Our Sons Turn Violent and How We Can Save Them” as Want to Read:
Lost Boys: Why Our Sons Turn Violent and How We Can Save Them

Lost Boys: Why Our Sons Turn Violent and How We Can Save Them

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  132 ratings  ·  16 reviews
"Remarkable--. What sets Lost Boys apart from the ordinary lament is the author's palpable sense of care and compassion."--The Washington Post Book World

In the past few years our national consciousness has been altered by haunting images of mass slaughters in American high schools, carried out by troubled young boys with guns. It's now clear that no matter where we live or
Published August 15th 2000 by Anchor (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Lost Boys, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lost Boys

Paige
I'm not going to book group and the book wasn't my style. Is this guy really a psychologist? I would have preferred that he just stuck to the interesting studies he cites about the effects of different kinds of parenting and upbringings on children rather than occasionally going off into foggily religious explanations of soul and spiritual development. I may have been a little more sympathetic to this approach if it just didn’t feel quite so much like he was pandering to the “Religious Right.” I ...more
Ellyn
Feb 13, 2009 Ellyn rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2007
I read this book for a class at MSASS. The author is a developmental psychologist who has worked extensively with boys who have committed acts of great violence, including murder. The first half of the book examines the roots of violence among boys, and the second half suggests possible ways to prevent violence. Very powerful. I found it to be both realistic and hopeful.
William Cale (Calico)
Worth reading for just about anyone, with kids or not. It takes a village to raise a child and here are the facts about what can happen when we stop raising and let the world destroy these boys souls.
Greg
Really informative and opened my eyes on how to deal with troubled youth, specifically boys. It's a shame that our solution is just to lock them up, and forget.
Jordan
Sep 13, 2007 Jordan marked it as to-read
Recommends it for: Juvenile Delinquency workers, people who want to save their sons from becoming JDs
I had this book for my Juvenile Delinquency class at LVC. I only skimmed through enough to keep up with the class, but it did provide some interesting info on why boys become violent and how to try to stop the vicious cycle that breeds violent children. I'm looking forward to reading the book cover to cover.
Kiersten
I read this for an Adolescent Male Development class. I wasn't as impressed as the professor lead me to believe I would be. I definitely would recommend Raising Cain to anyone raising a young boy. It is a must read. This was good for some preliminary "flip through" data but that was about it.
Erika Schnidrig
I will never forget this book. I came across it in my mothers books when I was very young, and started to read it. This is the book that introduced me to psychology and lit the spark of my undying passion for the field.
Alberto
May 19, 2008 Alberto rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Mariana
The psycological and phisical impact of violence,neglect & abandonment on children's development. Its influence on children adult behavior. Temperament & social factors considered
Melissa
Ok...so I only read 5 pages and decided I wasn't ready for another book like this after just finishing up grad school. maybe later. It seemed to be rather research driven.
Laurie
THis was really interesting and I look forward to utilizing this at work. It solidified many of the practices we use and encouraged me to continue trying!
Sarah A
Sep 24, 2011 Sarah A is currently reading it
Knew of this book through the Gang Prevention Training at Seattle University where one of the speaker was Dr. James Garbarino himself.
Cassie Meyer
Read for class; pretty interesting look at how social and familial problems can combine and leave children vulnerable.
Julz
One of those rare required books that's actually insightful.
Carlee
Nov 22, 2009 Carlee rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
Sad, but good intake of what can and does happen...
Lis
Every parent of a boy should read this book.
Andrea
Sep 13, 2007 Andrea marked it as to-read
interesting topic
Ceshada Chambers
Ceshada Chambers marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Kerri Flynn
Kerri Flynn is currently reading it
Nov 26, 2014
Kellye
Kellye marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2014
Emily Mckenna
Emily Mckenna marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2014
Jen
Jen marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Girls on the Edge: The Four Factors Driving the New Crisis for Girls�Sexual Identity, the Cyberbubble, Obsessions, Environmental Toxins
  • Real Boys: Rescuing Our Sons from the Myths of Boyhood
  • A Fine Young Man
  • Journey of the Jihadist: Inside Muslim Militancy
  • Healing the Masculine Soul: God's Restoration of Men to Real Manhood
  • Rampage: The Social Roots of School Shootings
  • Pink and Blue: Telling the Boys from the Girls in America
  • Born to Rebel: Birth Order, Family Dynamics and Creative Lives
  • The Case For Make Believe: Saving Play in a Commercialized World
  • A Tribe Apart: A Journey into the Heart of American Adolescence (Ballantine Reader's Circle)
  • The Scientist in the Crib: What Early Learning Tells Us About the Mind
  • I Don't Want to Talk About It: Overcoming the Secret Legacy of Male Depression
  • Too Much of a Good Thing: Raising Children of Character in an Indulgent Age
  • Deep Secrets: Boys' Friendships and the Crisis of Connection
  • I Do But I Don't: Why the Way We Marry Matters
  • Does Anybody Else Look Like Me?: A Parent's Guide To Raising Multiracial Children
  • The Seasons of a Man's Life
  • Ethnicity and Family Therapy
See Jane Hit: Why Girls Are Growing More Violent and What We Can Do AboutIt And Words Can Hurt Forever: How to Protect Adolescents from Bullying, Harassment, and Emotional Violence Raising Children in a Socially Toxic Environment Parents Under Siege: Why You Are the Solution, Not the Problem in Your Child's Life Children and the Dark Side of Human Experience: Confronting Global Realities and Rethinking Child Development