Start by marking “Lost Boys: Why Our Sons Turn Violent and How We Can Save Them” as Want to Read:
Lost Boys: Why Our Sons Turn Violent and How We Can Save Them

Lost Boys: Why Our Sons Turn Violent and How We Can Save Them

"Remarkable--. What sets Lost Boys apart from the ordinary lament is the author's palpable sense of care and compassion."--The Washington Post Book World

In the past few years our national consciousness has been altered by haunting images of mass slaughters in American high schools, carried out by troubled young boys with guns. It's now clear that no matter where we live or
Published August 15th 2000 by Anchor (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Lost Boys, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lost Boys

Kristal Cooper
May 14, 2016 Kristal Cooper rated it it was amazing
I started listening to this book on the day that there was YET ANOTHER mass shooting in America -- this time, ten dead at a community college in Oregon.

Although fifteen years old, the studies and information inside are just as relevant today and, in many cases, you can see how the author's theories have been well-proven since. Our current national discourse over guns often breaks down along party lines, but this book was written without politics in mind. The studies Garbarino sites range from t
Ellyn
Feb 13, 2009 Ellyn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2007
I read this book for a class at MSASS. The author is a developmental psychologist who has worked extensively with boys who have committed acts of great violence, including murder. The first half of the book examines the roots of violence among boys, and the second half suggests possible ways to prevent violence. Very powerful. I found it to be both realistic and hopeful.
William Cale (Calico)
Oct 05, 2012 William Cale (Calico) rated it it was amazing
Worth reading for just about anyone, with kids or not. It takes a village to raise a child and here are the facts about what can happen when we stop raising and let the world destroy these boys souls.
Paige
Feb 28, 2008 Paige rated it it was ok
I'm not going to book group and the book wasn't my style. Is this guy really a psychologist? I would have preferred that he just stuck to the interesting studies he cites about the effects of different kinds of parenting and upbringings on children rather than occasionally going off into foggily religious explanations of soul and spiritual development. I may have been a little more sympathetic to this approach if it just didn’t feel quite so much like he was pandering to the “Religious Right.” ...more
Joann Lukasiewicz
Apr 23, 2015 Joann Lukasiewicz rated it it was amazing
Well researched and artfully written, including intimate portrayals of the boys themselves based on extensive interviews and delving into their histories. This book clearly lays out the data on not only what causes boys in the US today to become violent, but also how we can stop this horrible cycle. I was fascinated by the explanation of why mass school shootings have happened mainly in rural areas and smaller schools, contrasted with the urban violence away from schools.

I especially relished t
Keith Randolph Smith
A clear and heartbreaking exploration into the lives of troubled and violent boys. Dr. Garbarino is a psychologist who is experienced in working with these boys. He advocates for understanding them and helping them understand themselves. In helping these boys, we can figure out ways to stop the violence before it happens. Garbarino makes clear that this in not a "them" problem, it is all of our concerns.
Kiersten
Jun 25, 2008 Kiersten rated it it was ok
Shelves: psycho-ed
I read this for an Adolescent Male Development class. I wasn't as impressed as the professor lead me to believe I would be. I definitely would recommend Raising Cain to anyone raising a young boy. It is a must read. This was good for some preliminary "flip through" data but that was about it.
Erika Schnidrig
Oct 10, 2012 Erika Schnidrig rated it it was amazing
I will never forget this book. I came across it in my mothers books when I was very young, and started to read it. This is the book that introduced me to psychology and lit the spark of my undying passion for the field.
Melissa
Aug 25, 2008 Melissa rated it it was ok
Ok...so I only read 5 pages and decided I wasn't ready for another book like this after just finishing up grad school. maybe later. It seemed to be rather research driven.
Sandra Hamlin
Nov 27, 2016 Sandra Hamlin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
Intense ? What are self destructive impulses in young males ? Would legalizing marijuana lower the statistics as so many of our youngest generation claim? Why are males still at high risk for crimes when there are alternatives ? When I stumbled across the phrase "suicide by cop" I was surprised. A term used by journalist and police to denote the act of provoking a confrontation with the intent to be killed .
Could the confrontation be de-escalated ?and how does a socially toxic environment becom
Jordan
Sep 13, 2007 Jordan marked it as to-read
Recommends it for: Juvenile Delinquency workers, people who want to save their sons from becoming JDs
I had this book for my Juvenile Delinquency class at LVC. I only skimmed through enough to keep up with the class, but it did provide some interesting info on why boys become violent and how to try to stop the vicious cycle that breeds violent children. I'm looking forward to reading the book cover to cover.
Sarah A
Sep 24, 2011 Sarah A is currently reading it
Knew of this book through the Gang Prevention Training at Seattle University where one of the speaker was Dr. James Garbarino himself.
Alberto
May 19, 2008 Alberto rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Mariana
The psycological and phisical impact of violence,neglect & abandonment on children's development. Its influence on children adult behavior. Temperament & social factors considered
Cassie Meyer
Jul 21, 2009 Cassie Meyer rated it really liked it
Read for class; pretty interesting look at how social and familial problems can combine and leave children vulnerable.
Laurie
Feb 12, 2009 Laurie rated it liked it
THis was really interesting and I look forward to utilizing this at work. It solidified many of the practices we use and encouraged me to continue trying!
Greg
Apr 17, 2014 Greg rated it really liked it
Really informative and opened my eyes on how to deal with troubled youth, specifically boys. It's a shame that our solution is just to lock them up, and forget.
Amy
Amy rated it really liked it
Dec 14, 2013
Soaringspirit
Soaringspirit rated it really liked it
Oct 21, 2009
Heather Cermak
Heather Cermak rated it really liked it
Jan 16, 2013
Lynnette Li
Lynnette Li rated it really liked it
Oct 01, 2012
Beth
Beth rated it it was ok
Dec 23, 2013
Becky
Becky rated it liked it
Sep 27, 2007
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it really liked it
Jun 30, 2015
Brandon
Brandon rated it it was ok
Aug 23, 2012
Cassandra Mitchell
Cassandra Mitchell rated it really liked it
Nov 29, 2014
Donna
Donna rated it liked it
Jul 22, 2012
Maureen
Maureen rated it it was amazing
Jul 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Girls on the Edge: The Four Factors Driving the New Crisis for Girls—Sexual Identity, the Cyberbubble, Obsessions, Environmental Toxins
  • A Fine Young Man
  • Ceremonial Violence
  • The Scientist in the Crib: What Early Learning Tells Us About the Mind
  • The Case For Make Believe: Saving Play in a Commercialized World
  • How Children Learn the Meanings of Words
  • Does Anybody Else Look Like Me?: A Parent's Guide To Raising Multiracial Children
  • I Raise My Eyes to Say Yes