Lost Boys: Why Our Sons Turn Violent and How We Can Save Them

Lost Boys: Why Our Sons Turn Violent and How We Can Save Them

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  116 ratings  ·  16 reviews
"Remarkable--. What sets Lost Boys apart from the ordinary lament is the author's palpable sense of care and compassion."--The Washington Post Book World

In the past few years our national consciousness has been altered by haunting images of mass slaughters in American high schools, carried out by troubled young boys with guns. It's now clear that no matter where we live or...more
Published August 15th 2000 by Anchor (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Lost Boys, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lost Boys

Paige
I'm not going to book group and the book wasn't my style. Is this guy really a psychologist? I would have preferred that he just stuck to the interesting studies he cites about the effects of different kinds of parenting and upbringings on children rather than occasionally going off into foggily religious explanations of soul and spiritual development. I may have been a little more sympathetic to this approach if it just didn’t feel quite so much like he was pandering to the “Religious Right.” I...more
Ellyn
Feb 13, 2009 Ellyn rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2007
I read this book for a class at MSASS. The author is a developmental psychologist who has worked extensively with boys who have committed acts of great violence, including murder. The first half of the book examines the roots of violence among boys, and the second half suggests possible ways to prevent violence. Very powerful. I found it to be both realistic and hopeful.
William Cale (Calico)
Worth reading for just about anyone, with kids or not. It takes a village to raise a child and here are the facts about what can happen when we stop raising and let the world destroy these boys souls.
Greg
Really informative and opened my eyes on how to deal with troubled youth, specifically boys. It's a shame that our solution is just to lock them up, and forget.
Jordan
Sep 13, 2007 Jordan marked it as to-read
Recommends it for: Juvenile Delinquency workers, people who want to save their sons from becoming JDs
I had this book for my Juvenile Delinquency class at LVC. I only skimmed through enough to keep up with the class, but it did provide some interesting info on why boys become violent and how to try to stop the vicious cycle that breeds violent children. I'm looking forward to reading the book cover to cover.
Kiersten
I read this for an Adolescent Male Development class. I wasn't as impressed as the professor lead me to believe I would be. I definitely would recommend Raising Cain to anyone raising a young boy. It is a must read. This was good for some preliminary "flip through" data but that was about it.
Erika Schnidrig
I will never forget this book. I came across it in my mothers books when I was very young, and started to read it. This is the book that introduced me to psychology and lit the spark of my undying passion for the field.
Alberto
May 19, 2008 Alberto rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Mariana
The psycological and phisical impact of violence,neglect & abandonment on children's development. Its influence on children adult behavior. Temperament & social factors considered
Melissa
Ok...so I only read 5 pages and decided I wasn't ready for another book like this after just finishing up grad school. maybe later. It seemed to be rather research driven.
Laurie
THis was really interesting and I look forward to utilizing this at work. It solidified many of the practices we use and encouraged me to continue trying!
Sarah A
Sep 24, 2011 Sarah A is currently reading it
Knew of this book through the Gang Prevention Training at Seattle University where one of the speaker was Dr. James Garbarino himself.
Cassie Meyer
Read for class; pretty interesting look at how social and familial problems can combine and leave children vulnerable.
Julz
One of those rare required books that's actually insightful.
Carlee
Nov 22, 2009 Carlee rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
Sad, but good intake of what can and does happen...
Lis
Every parent of a boy should read this book.
Andrea
Sep 13, 2007 Andrea marked it as to-read
interesting topic
Libby
Libby is currently reading it
Aug 17, 2014
Shane Tanner
Shane Tanner marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Joanna
Joanna marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Sahmcolorado
Sahmcolorado marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Shaina
Shaina marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
Aisling
Aisling marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
Jenny
Jenny added it
Jun 19, 2014
Morgan Dreiss
Morgan Dreiss marked it as to-read
May 31, 2014
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
May 29, 2014
Arya
Arya marked it as to-read
May 29, 2014
See Jane Hit: Why Girls Are Growing More Violent and What We Can Do AboutIt And Words Can Hurt Forever: How to Protect Adolescents from Bullying, Harassment, and Emotional Violence Raising Children in a Socially Toxic Environment See Jane Hit Parents Under Siege: Why You Are the Solution, Not the Problem in Your Child's Life