Start by marking “Oscar Otter” as Want to Read:
Oscar Otter
Preview

Oscar Otter

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  95 ratings  ·  14 reviews
When the otter slide is blocked by a beaver building a dam, Oscar Otter decides to go against his father's advice and attempts to build the biggest otter slide ever. What he doesn't know is that someone is watching him.
Published April 27th 1966 by HarperCollins Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Oscar Otter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Oscar Otter

Elijah Libert
This was Elijah's first book read!!
Edward Creter
I like this story so much I had to read it twice just to make sure. Oscar Otter thinks he can climb a mountain on his own without getting lost in the forest. Little does he know such animals as the local fox, the mountain lion and a moose want him for breakfast! Watch out, Oscar! Very good for kids.
Adrienne Furness
Another gem I found while weeding the beginning readers. It's really funny, and I think it would make a fun read-aloud. It might even be a good story to memorize and tell, but then you'd miss out on the Lobel illustrations, which are, per usual, fantastic.
Cosette
I caught the moral, I think, but my daughter didn't.
Crystal
Oct 10, 2007 Crystal rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all children and parents of children
This was one of my very favorite books when I was a child. I LOVED IT! I can still recite the first line or two: "Oscar the Otter was a young otter. He lived by the side of the pond." My mother must have had this book burned into her eyeballs by the time I outgrew it--and I hope to do the same for my children someday.
Cedric
I bought this book on a whim because I like otters.
ha! it was SO much fun! The artwork is pretty minimal, but it's beautiful. And the moose is my favorite character! What a fun book. Definitely read this with your kids... or if you're an adult like me and you want to just enjoy five minutes of a cute book.
Erik Erickson
Oscar Otter has a simple plot with a traditional moral to it's story. I really enjoyed the simple ink pen and watercolor illustrations with short word phrases, making it both a figurative and literal page-turner.
Dolly
May 22, 2009 Dolly rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2009, childrens
Silly story about an otter who disobeys his father and goes off to have an exciting adventure. I'm not sure if this was meant to teach a lesson or what, but I wasn't overly impressed.
Monica!
Poor Oscar. All he wanted to do was go sledding in the woods -- alas, that the woods was apparently infested with foxes, bobcats, wolves, *and* moose. Weirdly crowded, really.
Lorelei
I really good story for beginning readers or read aloud to the younger ones. Lots of exciting fun.
Ara
the story seems to be a bit too week.. and kids didn't like it.
Alana
Loses a star for the ending. Don't be smart??
Miss Clark
Fantastic little story:)
Brittany Gray
Brittany Gray marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2015
Jeff Magee
Jeff Magee marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2015
KR
KR marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2015
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Born in Newton, Massachusetts to a literary family, he was the son of Gertrude Darling and Robert Benchley (1889-1945), the noted American writer, humorist, critic, actor, and one of the founders of the Algonquin Round Table in New York City.

Nathaniel Benchley was the highly-respected author of many children's/juvenile books that provided learning for the youthful readers with stories of various a
More about Nathaniel Benchley...
Sam the Minuteman A Ghost Named Fred George the Drummer Boy Red Fox and His Canoe Bright Candles