In the Line of Fire

In the Line of Fire

3.02 of 5 stars 3.02  ·  rating details  ·  670 ratings  ·  55 reviews
According to "Time" magazine, Pakistan's President Pervez Musharraf holds "the world's most dangerous job." He has twice come within inches of assassination. His forces have caught more than 670 members of al Qaeda in the mountains and cities, yet many others remain at large and active, including Osama bin Laden and Ayman Al Zawahiri. Long locked in a deadly embrace with i...more
Published September 25th 2006 by Free Press (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about In the Line of Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In the Line of Fire

Agency Rules - Never an Easy Day at the Office by Khalid MuhammadMoth Smoke by Mohsin HamidThe Reluctant Fundamentalist by Mohsin HamidA Case of Exploding Mangoes by Mohammed HanifCracking India by Bapsi Sidhwa
Notable Books by Pakistani Authors
34th out of 78 books — 105 voters
Something New by Kemka EzinwoGrimm's Fairy Tales by Jacob GrimmSnow White and the Seven Dwarfs by Walt Disney CompanyThe Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. LewisHarry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. Rowling
the I liked
11th out of 16 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

Ronald Wise
While not knowing how much self-aggrandizing spin to suspect Musharraf of in his account of his life and leadership in Pakistan, it was still very informative to read his perspective on recent events there, and the implications of the American "War on Terror". I now have a better understanding of the geography and culture there, and a greater respect for the ethnic/religous problems his nation faces. It's too bad, though, that this book was written three years ago — I'd love to know his impressi...more
Heliya Azita
Jun 19, 2007 Heliya Azita rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: peacecommunitiesclub@yahoogroups.co.uk
Pervez Musharraf
is Last Hope for pakistan
Armour Craig
A solid autobiography, though it is obvious that English is a second language. There is a multitude of his stories that begin with, "One day..." I noticed that a lot!

Very interesting stories throughout his life, however. I think this shows a side of Gen Musharraf that most people do not know or do not want to invest the time to find out. He seems like a genuinely good soul who cares deeply about his country and especially about his (and his Army's) service to Pakistan.

Great book. I'd recommend i...more
Greg
President's Musharraf's own biography, seems to have been written in a hurry, but also gives a fascinating insight into his own views and perceptions about his experience as president of Pakistan 1999-2008. Clearly from the point of view of a leader of Pakistan, but I learned a lot about issues of intelligence and pressures from the USA on Pakistan in the early and mid 2000s, that were not written about in the media.
Raju
After reading the book, me as an Indian who has access to information from various sources would like to disagree with the factual accuracy presented in the book, especially the overt and covert wars with India. Many a times I felt the strength of India has been undermined. Probably the author reflected his sense of insecurity.

Musharraf has played it to the gallery by repeatedly conveying anti India rhetoric....he had his target audience in mind. I am sure the book must have sold like hot cakes...more
Tom
One word: Narcissism.

Musharraf did two things really right in writing this book: He provided a gripping narrative of the events that lead up to his assuming leadership of Pakistan in 1999 and His reflections on the world into which Pakistan was shoved following September 11 2001 are unique and quite valuable to anyone seeking to understand a crazy time in a corner of the world about which everyone seems to hold an opinion without actually having a foundation of understanding.

The rest of the bo...more
Ramesh
Oct 14, 2008 Ramesh rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: MORONS
Recommended to Ramesh by: A MORON
THIS CANT BE IN THE AUTOBIOGRAPHY GENRE......

ITS FICTION AND MAYBE A COMBINATION OF THRILLER AND HUMOR

Do you know India is responsible for all the Woes that Pakistan faces......of course we caused the damned earthquake.....We forced them to be friends with Al qaeeda, paavam they had no iota of what was happening.....Welcome to the new trillion $ eceonomy in the world....PAKISTAN

GET A BREAK MUSHY!!!!!
Elisabeth
Pervez Musharraf was a golden light in the history of Pakistan... at least according to Pervez Musharraf. It was an interesting read, it only to get a sense of how easy it is to persuade yourself that you are right. Despite how uncomfortable it was to read yet another personal brag, his chapter on counter terrorism efforts in Pakistan was enlightening.
Srinivas Prasad Veeraraghavan
Easily, THE worst book that I've read in quite a while. And no, it was not the anti-India rhetoric that irked me. That was a given in any case.

I knew that this wasn't likely to be the most candid/eye opening autobiography ever BUT, this was so artificial, prejudiced and unnatural that after a while; you actually end up feeling a tad miffed that the bloke takes you (the reader) for a sucker and expects you to gobble up this drivel.

Sure glad that I didn't waste too many bucks in getting my hands o...more
Mohit Garg
Very funny. Highly hilarious.
The person should not be a president but should be a comedian..
Will Byrnes
Boy does this guy think a lot of himself. His boasting is enough to make one want to reach for a very long feather and bring forth one’s latest meal. He seems never to tire, for instance, when telling about his childhood, of reporting that he got the highest grades in this or that subject. It makes me wonder if there is not some deep-seated insecurity which he is trying to mask by doing so. Errors are in short supply here. He describes his rambunctousness as being “naughty.” It was a struggle to...more
Jeremy Baker
If you enjoy whitewashed history, lies of omission, and explorations of the ways in which one can rationalize keeping a brutal dictator in power, you will love this book.

Those of us with our Bergeron Handicaps disengaged, however, will recognize it as a desperate attempt to clean up the image of a truly evil man. General Musharraf has been hailed as a staunch ally in the war on terror, while the reality is that Musharraf consistently suborns terrorist organizations in Pakistans northern province...more
Aditi Agarwal
Sep 23, 2009 Aditi Agarwal rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who would like a different perspective of things and can handle it maturely
Pervez Musharraf talks about himself ... Which is good ... but is he really speaking the truth, thats what all Indians would like to know ...

Almost every war, every disaster in Pakistan has been blamed on India ... Which is fair enough coming from a Pakistani (obviously he's not going to say - "We attacked India") ... A different perspective for any Indian ... It somehow gets very sugary in the middle as Pervez tries to show he is perfect - he did nothing wrong at any point of time (or he doesnt...more
Aravindh Sundaragopalan
A autobiography , so we have to read everything with a pinch of salt.
I would recommend this for
1. Provides military operational details in the pak army

2. General politics and the country's political history from Musharaf's POV.
3. Musharaf has a interesting story, though it has nothing abt how his regime ended.
4. View of a pak president on india !

Also one should skim through a lot of details and names that might not make sense(read as unimportant)
to the normal reader much .

Barry Sierer
This book was disappointing in the sense of its overt, and at times egregious, promotion of Musharraf and his decisions. However this should also be expected given his background and his own role in Pakistan's history. Despite its flaws, the books gives an essential perspective on:
-The basics of how the Pakistani government truly functions
-The removal of Nawaz Sharif from power
-The Kargil conflict
-Relations with India
-Anti-Terror operations within Pakistan and
-The Murder of Daniel Pearl

The secti...more
Tahir
I got this book as a gift from my uncle.although at start i was very enthusiastic about reading it and i read it in just two or three sittings,but to say the truth it is simply collection of self praisng pages.So dont waste your time and money in reading and buying this peace of filth.
Alejandro
the man does like to toot his own horn...but if you survive two assassination attempts, I guess you are entitled to do so.
interesting first hand tale of how a man went from the military to leading his nation.
Kazi
The reason being of its fame is solely that its author was a president at the time of its publishing.
Asma
Aug 27, 2007 Asma marked it as to-read
Pakistan Zindabad!
Saquib  Mehmood
Impossibly poorly written! I believe some low ranked military staffer wrote it and the book never found an editor. If you want to celebrate the lack of education, irrationality and moral bankruptcy of Pakistan Army's Generals, then this is compulsory reading. The fellow cannot even find an original opening line for his book and insults our intelligence by plagiarizing Dickens: " “These were troubled times. These were momentous times. There was the light of freedom; there was the darkness of geno...more
Abdul Hamid
I would say a lot of theatrics on his part and plenty of self praise. He mostly shows his bravado when he comes to the part when he got involved in Bush's ''so called war'' and how he earned bounties in handing over ''suspects'' who then where sent to a Concentration camp in Cuba.

I would also add that reading this book was like reading a fiction novel. My advice is that if you want to read this book, borrow it from the library don't spend a penny on this garbage.
Rehan Akram
The book has been penned, precisely, by Humayun Gauhar. I read the book way back in 2009 when in the Academy (Civil Services Academy, Lahore). Though written candidly, yet this is, perhaps, the only autobiography I couldn't find interesting. Had this been a post-retirement autobiography, it would have been a better one for not catering to the political motives/needs of the time. A mediocre book.
Rohit Mishra
I enjoy reading autobiographies and biographies and this one was enjoyable too especially because this one is by and about the man who at one point of time was at the center stage of Indo-Pak relations, another one of my favorite topics.

Musharraf shares a lot of things here, is candid about many, goes over board at times and becomes philosophical as well and all this is alright considering the fact that he is trying to impress some, influence a few and confuse others.

Overall, to really enjoy t...more
Rahul
The Line of Fire, by Pervez Musharraf, is an look into one of the most influential Prime Ministers, a man leading the charge on the War on Terror, and the political systems of a nation which has been considered unstable. I would recommend reading this book because it is insightful and interesting, a real page turner, and packed with action, such as the Nawaz Sharif coup. If you are interested in politics, and the War on Terror, or if you are a fan of Pervez’s work as Prime Minister of Pakistan t...more
Suli Tuutafaiva
One thing that just cannot be ignored while reading this book is former Pakistan's narcissus tone - his self-admiration, self-absorption and self-importance. His vanity is evident from the manner in which he describes every incident of his life - from escaping from bomb blasts to bidheadedly refusing to land in India when Karachi did not allow him to so. Written in a rather plain fashion, language can be described as rather placid. Poorly edited for sure.

Ps - it wouldn't have hurt to quote Charl...more
Esha

Ps - it wouldn't have hurt to quote Charl...more
Fazal Ur Rehman
An interesting insight into the dynamics of Pakistan from the view point of Musharraf...
Rizwan Mujtaba
A great and highly informative book. Book is detailed to the right extent and doesn't get monotonous or boring. A must read for military enthusiasts.
Ofcourse not everyone agrees with his politics but he is the one who started the actual modernization programs for the military. All major deals were made in his time, and considerable increase in the development rate of lagging weapon programs was seen.
T.P. Williams
Very readable, obviously self-serving. Combination autobiography and memoir. Some parts patently unbelievable, such as account of A.Q. Khan, nuclear scientist. Anti-Indian bias unintentionally funny at times. Nevertheless gives interesting insight into middle eastern and Islamic mindset.
Very bad book 2 15 Mar 07, 2013 05:05AM
  • Trickle Up Poverty: Stopping Obama's Attack on Our Borders, Economy, and Security
  • Hitler's War
  • Mr. Playboy: Hugh Hefner and the American Dream
  • Lawrence Of Arabia: The Authorized Biography of T.E. Lawrence
  • The Nightingale's Song
  • From Archimedes to Hawking: Laws of Science and the Great Minds Behind Them
Pervez Musharraf (Urdu: پرويز مشرف), NI, HI, was the twelfth President of Pakistan. Previously, he was Chief Executive of Pakistan as well as former Chief of Army Staff of the Pakistan Army. On 18 August 2008, in a nationally-televised speech, he announced his resignation as President of Pakistan.

He seized power in 1999 by effecting a military coup d'état and has suspended the constitution of Paki...more
More about Pervez Musharraf...
Udal Mannukku