The Staggerford Murders and Nancy Clancy's Nephew

The Staggerford Murders and Nancy Clancy's Nephew

3.23 of 5 stars 3.23  ·  rating details  ·  75 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Filled with his trademark humor and warmth, Jon Hassler’sThe Staggerford MurdersandThe Life and Death of Nancy Clancy’s Nephewoffer a welcome return to the town that has captivated readers for years. InThe Staggerford Murders, residents of the Ransford Hotel "solve" the nine- year-old murder of esteemed Staggerford citizen Neddy Nichols and the disappearance of his widow,...more
Published November 30th 2004 by Plume

Mark Oppenlander
Jon Hassler has long been one of my favorite authors. This book, actually two novellas, was written late in Hassler's career and just a few years before his death. It is definitely not his best work, but I would contend still worth the read as it's short and entertaining.

The first novella, "The Staggerford Murders," feels like an experiment. The story is told from the POV of several different characters as they uncover a string of events from a number of years before to solve not one, but two mu...more
Kristen
This book is two novellas in the place of one. I thought this was okay. The first story deals with two seven year old cold case murders of a couple. I thought this story was a bit better than the second, which deals with some major players in their own POV. I gave this one a three, since this is a mystery. The second deals with a resident, aging beyond his year to visit his aunt, and showcases his life and then in the end, his death. I gave this one a two for this literary fiction/fiction story....more
Nancy
Hassler is what is called a regional writer. his books mostly take place in small-town Minnesota. I discovered him through my mother, a small-town MN girl until my Naval officer father lured her away to the bigger world. I have read most of Hassler's other books and have been enchanted with the simple straghtforwardness of the people in his stories. This book was actually 2 novellas - the titular one and "The Life and Death of Nancy Clancy's Nephew." The first one was just two quirky for me; the...more
Jo Marie
This is actually two very different novellas. Not sure why they're published as one book. Anyway, I didn't like either one very much. The first one is just too silly, and the second "The life and death of Nancy Clancy's nephew" was more interesting but still not very good.
Bayneeta
A couple of unrelated novellas--they both take place in the same part of Minnesota. No Agatha in either of these; and Hassler strangely reincarnates a hotel he tore down in a previous book. Liked it better than The Staggerford Flood .
Kristin
When I'm looking for something light but not empty, I often turn to Jon Hassler. This novel (which is actually 2 novellas) has been just that. I can't wait to make myself a cup of tea, curl up on the couch, and finish this one tonight.
Gayle
Well, okay, I didn't read it. After 15 miserable pages, I couldn't justify the time. Maybe if I had a rural background and was interested in a "say it the way they do" book, I could get to page 16 and beyond. No Hassler for me -- ever.
Debbie
Two novellas with very different tones. The first one reminds me of comic Eudora Welty. The second is more in the rather melancholic tone of the other Hassler novels--perhaps even more so. I liked the Staggerford Flood perfectly fine.
Ginny
Two short books. I read The Staggerford Murders, only. I have read the other Staggerford novels and found this at the library. I didn't recognize any of the characters. The story held my interest, but just barely.
Dawna
Jon Hassler is one of my favorites but this book was so - so. Hassler's Staggerford, Simon's Night and A Green Journey are very good. I would recommend them without reservation.
Two short stories, I found "The Staggerford Murders" not to my taste, but enjoyed Nancy Clancy's Nephew a great deal. I think this Hassler binge is done.
Two quick, short reads. Being a native Minnesotans myself, I can relate to many of these characters and know people who are just like them.
Marcia
I used to love Jon Hassler books but I must have outgrown them :-( I was really really disappointed.
Carroll
Wholesome, comforting, cozy, interesting,, typically Hassler.
Jamie
Two stories, the first very funny, the second kind of dull.
Terry
Not as complex or interesting as Hassler's earlier novels.
Bonnie
My 1st Hassler, I doubt there will be a 2nd
Janet
a quirky book,2 short stories, ok i guess
Chris
Very easy read
Tony
Tony marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Kathy
Kathy added it
Jun 13, 2014
nymfaux
nymfaux marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Jon Hassler was born in Minneapolis, but spent his formative years in the small Minnesota towns of Staples and Plainview, where he graduated from high school. He received his Bachelor of Arts degree in English from St. John's University in 1955. While teaching English at three different Minnesota high schools, he received his Master of Arts degree in English from the University of North Dakota in...more
More about Jon Hassler...
Staggerford A Green Journey Grand Opening North of Hope Dear James