The Staggerford Flood

The Staggerford Flood

3.44 of 5 stars 3.44  ·  rating details  ·  218 ratings  ·  22 reviews
In The Staggerford Flood, Jon Hassler brings back Agatha McGee and reunites other favorite characters from his award-winning Staggerford novels. When a flood hits Staggerford and neighboring towns, Agatha McGee's house on the highest hill in town becomes a refuge for seven female neighbors, friends, and former students for three days and three nights. This deluge of old an...more
Published October 28th 2003 by Plume (first published 2002)

Richard
This novel is apparently, the latest in a series of novels by Hassler about a fictional town in Minnesota. It reads sort of like something that Garrison Kiellor might say in his tales of Lake Woebegone. An eighty year old lady, Agatha, lives in a large house on the highest point in Staggerford. A spring flood inundates much of the town. Agatha invites some old friends and some new friends into her house to wait for the waters to fall. Everyone mentioned in the story is a character. Eight women...more
Jennifer Hughes
A disappointing sequel in what is a wonderful series in my memory. I had a hard time being motivated to even finish. The characters are flat, the plot boring. Details that are seemingly important are dropped later. It felt like Jon Hassler had to come up with a way to keep paying his mortgage, so he thought he'd try to cash in once more on his original beloved series. Sorry, it just didn't work.
Daniel
This book did not hold nearly the charm that the first Staggerford book held. It could be that the first book definitely seemed to have a driving purpose, but the only purpose for this book seemed to be to get some characters from previous books together. And while it does this, there seems to be nothing happening once they are together.

Except...the only thing that actually happens (other than the flood) is that Agatha tells a whopper of a lie (for good reason, of course). This seems totally out...more
Rick
You're familiar with the concept. Some event, in this case a flood, forces a diverse group of folks to spend several days together and this time causes them to bond, share secrets, and grow. Only, in this book, the bonding is questionable, there were very few secrets to share and none that were interesting, and the growth was negligible. Moreover, not only were most of the characters uninteresting, several were just plain unlikable for no apparent reason. It's possible that if I had read any of...more
Pat
Elderly woman gathers people around her to get them away from the flood. Her house is on high ground.
Minnesota.
Agatha McGee, 80 years old.
John
An unprecedented flood immobilizes a northern Minnesota town (this sounds strangely familiar). Only the house belonging to 80-year-old Agatha McGee, Jon Hassler's most enduring character, is high enough to avoid being flooded by the Badbattle River. Agatha provides a refuge for seven other women, ranging from a teenager to a couple of her fellow senior citizens.
I hope if I'm ever stranded by a flood with seven other people they'll be more interesting than the characters in this book.
"The Stagger...more
Lyn
This is a nice continuation of the character of Agatha McGee and friends. Recommended mostly for those who have read earlier Staggerford books, who will very much enjoy this new one. I would give it 3.5 stars if I could.
Katie
I put off reading this because it is the second last and I can't bear the thought of finishing them. It was just wonderful. Nothing much happens, but it is a wonderful exploration of people, old friends, relationships.
Nancy
When a natural disaster threatens Hassler's fictitious town of Staggerford, octegenarian Agatha McGee ends up offering shelter to a number of the town residents when their own homes are flooded out.
Maureen M
I picked this up at the library the week after Hassler died and read it and North of Hope in a week or so. I loved them and regretted not having read more of his work in his lifetime.
Terry
Characters from most of Hassler's books are stranded at Agatha McGee's house during a flood. We have the opportunity to find out how lives have progressed and where they are headed.
Bayneeta
Disappointing fourth book in Hassler's Staggerford series. Plot is thin and too many characters pass through this very short novel. Agatha behaves out of character.
Frank
Nice story.

I almost put it down, but the characters and the town quickly grow on you. Reminds me a bit of Muriel Spark, though it is, a bit, more plot heavy.
Jean
Disappointing to this Hassler fan.
Not much of a story, and even familiar characters seem flat and tiresome in this novel.
Debbie
Fun to read to catch up on everyone in Staggerford, but not as richly developed as the previous books in the series.
This shorter novel concerned story more than character, and while I enjoyed it I did not love it.
Marcella Johnson
I read this book years ago, but I remember it being a "feel good" story.
Dan
Unfortunately, I write this long after reading the book. I don't remember it.
Steve Gathje
The Staggerford saga continues!
Deb
A little lighter than some of his others. Very good.
Jeannie
It was a nice book but not that exciting.
Krista
I just wasn't in the mood for this one.
Carol Foisset
Love Jon Hassler's books!
Karenmort Mort
Dec 06, 2010 Karenmort Mort is currently reading it
An ok book...
Tony
Tony marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Janell
Janell is currently reading it
Jul 13, 2014
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
Jon Hassler was born in Minneapolis, but spent his formative years in the small Minnesota towns of Staples and Plainview, where he graduated from high school. He received his Bachelor of Arts degree in English from St. John's University in 1955. While teaching English at three different Minnesota high schools, he received his Master of Arts degree in English from the University of North Dakota in...more
More about Jon Hassler...
Staggerford A Green Journey Grand Opening North of Hope Dear James