Start by marking “Emerging Churches: Creating Christian Community in Postmodern Cultures” as Want to Read:
Emerging Churches: Creating Christian Community in Postmodern Cultures

Emerging Churches: Creating Christian Community in Postmodern Cultures

The -emerging church- movement is perhaps the most significant church trend of our day. The emerging church offers and encourages a new way of doing and being the church. While it largely resonates with an eighteen-to-thirty-four-year-old audience--the first fully postmodern generation--it is also gaining popularity with older Christians and encompasses a broad array of tr ...more
Published December 1st 2005 by Baker Academic (first published November 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Emerging Churches, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Emerging Churches

Ryan
Aug 08, 2012 Ryan rated it liked it
Gibbs and Bolger provide a very broad picture of the emerging churches. They find nine commonalities among emerging churches: 1) Identifying with Jesus, 2) Transforming Secular Space, 3) Living as Community, 4) Welcoming the Stranger, 5) Serving with Generosity, 6) Participating as Producers, 7) Creating as Created Beings, 8) Leading as a Body, and 9) Merging Ancient and Contemporary Spiritualities. Not all emerging churches share all commonalities equally, some have some, some have all, and the ...more
Mark Sequeira
The best on the topic so far. This is THE book to get if you want to know where things are going and why. It doesn't waste time on individual practices but stays more along the broad themes that are challenging/changing the church as we know it. It may cause some fearful souls to realize that some of these changes can actually be for the good! The broad topics are listed as: Identifying with Jesus. Transforming secular space. Living as community. Welcoming the stranger. Serving with generosity. ...more
J
Aug 13, 2009 J rated it really liked it
I don't agree with all of the emergent church stuff, but I think they are at least asking the right questions. This book is heady and dense, but does a good job covering the bases and the breadth of what's going on in the emergent world. A lot of coverage of UK churches, which apparently have been at this longer than the US, but a lot of those stories (about rave churches and coffee house churches and such) don't resonate.
I am still on the fence about whether I totally disagree with emergent th
Graham Bates
Oct 01, 2012 Graham Bates rated it it was amazing
Eddie Gibbs and Ryan Bolger provide a great introduction to the Emerging Church Movement through interviews and observations of Emerging Church leaders in the USA and UK. Although it is not meant to be a how-to for churches to become emergent, their purpose was to help people understand the positive aspects of this movement. They do not intend to be objective but rather descriptive in their method. In this they succeed marvelously.
Carl Amouzou
Very informative in regards to understanding the common threads of Emerging Churches. Although it is meant to be a broad stroke and introduction, the book felt repetitive at times as the multiplicity of voices repeat one another. All in all I found the book very helpful in processing and imagining praxis within my own community.
John Parker
Dec 06, 2008 John Parker rated it liked it
Not too scholarly- a little dated in terms of where some of these people are now and what they are doing. Still, it is must reading for those who in the evangelical community that are suspicious of the emergent/emergence thing.
Matt Mason
Apr 27, 2012 Matt Mason rated it liked it
Not 3 stars because of my agreement. I give it 3 because the writing is a clear representation of the movement. Thoroughly researched. Well written. Heartbreaking. Could also have been titled Adventures in Missing the Point.
Andrew
Jan 17, 2008 Andrew rated it liked it
Sorry I am so slow on updating my profile. This book had some good thinking in the emerging church, and I would recommend it to those who are trying to learn about the movement. I do think that Joshua Moritz's paper on the need for emerging theology was better...
Karen
Dec 01, 2010 Karen rated it liked it
Now I finally understand that Emerging Churches aren't just about 40-year-old pastors with spikey hair and Gap clothes who have kids named Ezra and Damaris. Apparently, that's a Gen X church ;) Really interesting stuff, but I don't think I'm artsy enough to be a part of one.
Job Dalomba
It's good for stories, explaining the emerging church as a supporter but that's about it. I would recommend reading it.
Geoffrey Kerns
May 23, 2007 Geoffrey Kerns rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone
It's a little textbookish but if you can tolerate that kind of rhythm then it's great. Loaded with some great research and info on current trends within faith communities.
Kelvin Niblett
Kelvin Niblett rated it really liked it
Oct 20, 2011
Tiffany
Tiffany rated it really liked it
Sep 22, 2011
Gerardo
Gerardo rated it liked it
Jul 12, 2012
Lacresha
Lacresha rated it really liked it
Apr 26, 2009
Dawn Williams
Dawn Williams rated it liked it
Jan 21, 2016
James Nixon
James Nixon rated it liked it
May 16, 2016
Joshua Duffy
Joshua Duffy rated it liked it
Apr 08, 2012
Adam
Adam rated it really liked it
Aug 28, 2015
Gareth Brandt
Gareth Brandt rated it really liked it
Mar 01, 2017
Lindy Broderick
Lindy Broderick rated it liked it
Aug 21, 2014
Nathan
Nathan rated it liked it
Mar 29, 2009
Bryan C Bower
Bryan C Bower rated it really liked it
Apr 30, 2015
Ismael
Ismael rated it it was amazing
Jul 27, 2015
Natalie
Natalie rated it it was amazing
Dec 15, 2016
Justin Van rheenen
Justin Van rheenen rated it really liked it
Nov 17, 2015
Brandon
Brandon rated it really liked it
Sep 15, 2007
Pål-Rune
Pål-Rune rated it it was amazing
Feb 02, 2016
Bret Wells
Bret Wells rated it liked it
Jul 07, 2013
Irm
Irm rated it it was amazing
Apr 21, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Shaping of Things to Come: Innovation and Mission for the 21st Century Church
  • The Church in Emerging Culture: Five Perspectives
  • The New Christians: Dispatches from the Emergent Frontier
  • The Emerging Church: Vintage Christianity for New Generations
  • The Younger Evangelicals
  • The Forgotten Ways: Reactivating the Missional Church
  • Missional Church: A Vision for the Sending of the Church in North America
  • An Emergent Manifesto of Hope (emersion: Emergent Village resources for communities of faith)
  • Who's Afraid of Postmodernism?: Taking Derrida, Lyotard, and Foucault to Church (The Church and Postmodern Culture)
  • The Great Emergence: How Christianity is Changing and Why
  • Matthew (Brazos Theological Commentary on the Bible)
  • Colossians Remixed: Subverting the Empire
  • Whose Community? Which Interpretation?: Philosophical Hermeneutics for the Church
  • Transforming Mission: Paradigm Shifts in Theology of Mission
  • Economy of Desire
  • Organic Church: Growing Faith Where Life Happens
  • Bible and Mission: Christian Witness in a Postmodern World
  • 20th-Century Theology: God and the World in a Transitional Age
Eddie Gibbs (DMin, Fuller Theological Seminary) is director of the Institute for the Study of Emerging Churches at the Brehm Center for Worship, Theology, and the Arts and a senior professor in the School of Intercultural Studies at Fuller Theological Seminary in Pasadena, California. He is the author of numerous books, including Emerging Churches and the critically acclaimed ChurchNext (winner of ...more
More about Eddie Gibbs...