Start by marking “Around the World in 80 Dates: Confessions of a Christian Serial Dater” as Want to Read:
Around the World in 80 Dates: Confessions of a Christian Serial Dater

Around the World in 80 Dates: Confessions of a Christian Serial Dater

3.26  ·  Rating Details  ·  172 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
Travel writer Sydney Alexander is ready for one particular journey to end: her frustrating search for a Mr. Right. But things are looking up: Just after landing her dream job, she meets an eligible round of bachelors.

Now Sydney will discover just how far she’s willing to compromise to land her dream guy.
Published September 27th 2007 by NavPress (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Around the World in 80 Dates, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Around the World in 80 Dates

Katie
Jul 20, 2012 Katie rated it it was ok
Superficial fluff. This was another free kindle book, and I was hoping it would be a good summer beach-read, which it would have been, but a few things bothered me. Written with a sideways focus on Christian dating, I felt this book was extremeley shallow in it's view of the characters, dating, and Christianity as a whole. The main character was a privileged, spoiled, 20 something who's main priorities were getting enough foam on her latte and making sure people think her clothing labels are des ...more
Molly
Apr 27, 2011 Molly rated it did not like it
This is the first book in the chicklit series featuring Sydney Alexander. The book cover is great; the picture reminds me of Audrey Hepburn. Title (and subtitle)—creative, appealing. Judging by the title and book cover, I expected an enjoyable, slightly satirical read, which would poke some harmless (but pointed) fun at Christians and the whole dating scene. I thought that sort of book would be a refreshing change from the usual mushy love story.

But preachy dialogue and moral-of-the-story narrat
Denise
Aug 21, 2012 Denise rated it it was ok
I was very disappointed by the name brand dropping on seemingly every page. Are Christians identified by not drinking, sleeping around, and occasionally remembering to pray? Otherwise, let's shop and eat as much as we want and God will drop a man in your lap!
Brittney Walker
Nov 24, 2007 Brittney Walker rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: any girl that needs a good laugh...
I started this book Thanksgiving night and couldn't put it down. It was so funny! Any girl who has ever dated someone or liked someone and it didn't work out will relate to this girl in the book.
Julie
Mar 22, 2008 Julie rated it it was amazing
Loved it! Written by a local author who gives a light and witty account of her adventures in dating while also keeping her values in check. Not at all preachy...appealing to all readers!
Theartisttraveler
Feb 24, 2014 Theartisttraveler rated it it was amazing
This book is hilarious. I didn't realise it was a Christian book at first because the type on the front of the book was so light. So going into it I didn't view it from a Christian point of view. However I still immensely enjoyed it and helped rekindle some faith and thoughts on faith I hadn't had in a long time. It's a pleasurable read, that goes from different points of view, not just the two main character Sydney and Samantha sisters. So you get male point of views, and female ones, and I wou ...more
Lindsey
Feb 14, 2008 Lindsey rated it it was amazing
Incredible witty really enjoying this one.
Joana
Aug 06, 2012 Joana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This one hooked me from beginning to end. It definitely was not what I was expecting and that was a good thing. When I first saw the title I thought, oh great, another guide to dating. However, this is definitely not what this book is. I found the heroine, Sydney Alexander to be very, very entertaining. The quirky travel writer is addicted to shopping and drowns her sorrows in ice cream. Sydney is looking for her dream guy, yet all she keeps getting are bad dates. So what is she doing wrong?

The
Michelle
Dec 24, 2007 Michelle rated it it was amazing
More like 4.5 stars...

About the book:

Travel writer Sydney Alexander is ready for one particular journey to end: her frustrating search for a Mr. Right. As a Christian twentysomething navigating the weird world of dating, she's encountered more than her share of frogs. From men who can't keep a job to self-centered professionals, her lackluster dates leave Sydney wondering where the good guys are hiding.

But things are looking way up. Just after landing her dream job, she meets an eligible round o
Beth Butler
Mar 08, 2014 Beth Butler rated it it was ok
For the first half of this book it was very distracting to read all of these brand names. Regular adjectives would have been better. I felt like this book should have been paid for all the product placement. The story was okay but the main character needed more depth.
The last third of the book when the author gave up using product names and focused on the characters was much easier to read and enjoyable.
Brianna
Mar 02, 2015 Brianna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Funny and heartwarming

I loved this book. At first I thought it was a real autobiography instead of just fiction! It was funny. Sometimes the narrative is hard to follow since you switch between points of view. It can be confusing to remember which girl you're reading. The ending is also a little rushed. I would have liked more time getting to know the man she ends up with. Even so, I definitely recommend this book.
Barbara Hartzler
Jun 04, 2012 Barbara Hartzler rated it it was ok
I loved the main character's voice. Sydney was fabulous and always off to a new destination. Quite fun!

However, I wish the author had delved deeper into Sydney's character. Insted she filled half the book with head-hopping, 3rd person POV scenes that jarred me--since Sydney's POV is in first person. It was quite confusing.

After awhile, I got used to it. And I really wanted to know what would happen to Sydney. But I had to wade through extended flashbacks and 92% of the book (according to my Kind
Hannah
Feb 23, 2014 Hannah rated it did not like it
I've not read Jennifer Cox's saga by the same title, but this book feels like it stole the idea and tried to sanitize it by putting a Christian spin on it.
Amy (Books, College, and Other Random Things)
I was excited when I saw this book in a not so local Christian book store. I thought it sounded soooo funny. I liked this book ok, but there are several things that bothered me. I don't mind it when a book tells from several people's POV, but I found myself liking to read more about what was happening to Sydney's younger sister, Samantha, than I did her or the other characters. I also didn't like that the person she ends up with is really introduced or mention a developing relationships until th ...more
Monica
Apr 13, 2015 Monica rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Young Adults
Fun read! :)
R.L. Syme
At long last, my search for an excellent Christian chick lit novelist has ended. Thankfully, Banister is young enough in her career that I think we can expect many more great novels from her. I found Sydney Alexander to be engaging and fun--a heroine whom I genuinely wanted to find her happy ending. And the Christian side of the book was incredibly well-done. Not clunky or self-righteous, Banister makes the God that Sydney and her friends worship into someone that I recognize. God.
Biscuit
Apr 21, 2015 Biscuit rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, 2015
Reasonable narrative style although dialogue is not the writer's strong point.

Annoying characters who live shallow and superficial lives lacking in honesty, integrity and kindness.

Considering all the main characters attended Bible Schools the grasp of theological concepts, which randomly peppered the story, was shaky at best.

I can't imagine recommending this unwholesome, semi-autobiographical whingeathon to anyone.
Anna
Aug 15, 2012 Anna rated it really liked it
It's quirky, lighthearted, humorous, and definitely falls under the category of 'fluff' reading. I plowed through this in about 2 days flat and enjoyed it for what it was- a way to keep me occupied during a day of traveling. Nothing more.
Aerykah
Aug 12, 2015 Aerykah rated it did not like it
I didn't finish this book because I wasn't enjoying it & felt like I was having to force myself to read it. I just don't really like the author's writing style.
Heather
Aug 28, 2012 Heather rated it liked it
Shelves: christian-fic
Fluffy read. Not too much depth, and sometimes hard to keep track of the very many characters. I might read the sequel, though. Sydney was a good heroine.
Jane
Sep 18, 2008 Jane rated it liked it
It was a decent book, but I think I had different expectations for it than what it delivered, otherwise it might have gotten rated higher?
Anna
Sep 25, 2012 Anna rated it liked it
This book was pretty good. I actually enjoyed the story. It was charming and yet not something that would take a lot of brain power.
stacie
Aug 01, 2012 stacie rated it liked it
slow read at first but it's refreshing to read a modern fiction book about a successful Christian female in today's society.
Angela Good
Apr 17, 2012 Angela Good rated it liked it
If you are a nice single gal...read this book!!! It will make you laugh and thankful that you are single. LOL!
Kelsy Moreno
Sep 21, 2014 Kelsy Moreno rated it liked it
I found it entertaining read , just to kill time kind if book wasn't the best but I did like it.
Apryle
Jul 18, 2012 Apryle rated it it was amazing
I loved this book!! Must get the next one in the series!!
Kay
Jul 06, 2016 Kay added it
Melissa
Mar 10, 2008 Melissa rated it liked it
Christian serial dater. Not terribly memorable.
Becky
Jul 21, 2012 Becky rated it liked it
and more fun 'cause it was set in MPLS :)
Vicky Clinkscales
May 07, 2013 Vicky Clinkscales rated it really liked it
Light read, cute book. Enjoyed it.
  • Dreaming in Technicolor (Phoebe Grant, #2)
  • The Mother Road
  • Lost in Rooville
  • Large Target (Josephine Fuller, #2)
  • The Narrow Path
  • Let's Get It On!: The Making of MMA and Its Ultimate Referee
  • Rally 'Round Green (Green #4)
  • Benjamin Franklin: The Man Who Dared the Lightning
  • As a Decade Fades
  • Always the Designer, Never the Bride (Emma Rae Creations, #3)
  • Murder in the Round (Pamela Barnes Acoustic Mystery #5)
  • True Crime in the Civil War: Cases of Murder, Treason, Counterfeiting, Massacre, Plunder & Abuse
  • Working Successfully with Screwed-Up People
  • Miracle Boy Grows Up: How the Disability Rights Revolution Saved My Sanity
  • Zombie Bits (Murdermouth)
  • Personality Plus at Work: How to Work Successfully with Anyone
  • Moon White: Color Me Enchanted (TrueColors, #11)
  • Ten Rules for a Call Girl (Anna Curtis, #1.5)
While growing up in a no-stoplight town in the land of perpetual winter in northwest Wisconsin, it’s no surprise that author, freelance writer and movie critic Christa A. Banister fell in love with words and stories at a very young age.

Reading was always a favorite escape from the small-town doldrums, and some of her happiest days were spent looking for new literary treasures at the local public l
More about Christa Banister...