Start by marking “Around the World in 80 Dates: Confessions of a Christian Serial Dater” as Want to Read:
Around the World in 80 Dates: Confessions of a Christian Serial Dater

Around the World in 80 Dates: Confessions of a Christian Serial Dater

3.24 of 5 stars 3.24  ·  rating details  ·  156 ratings  ·  33 reviews
Travel writer Sydney Alexander is ready for one particular journey to end: her frustrating search for a Mr. Right. But things are looking up: Just after landing her dream job, she meets an eligible round of bachelors.

Now Sydney will discover just how far she’s willing to compromise to land her dream guy.
Published September 27th 2007 by NavPress (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Around the World in 80 Dates, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Around the World in 80 Dates

Katie
Superficial fluff. This was another free kindle book, and I was hoping it would be a good summer beach-read, which it would have been, but a few things bothered me. Written with a sideways focus on Christian dating, I felt this book was extremeley shallow in it's view of the characters, dating, and Christianity as a whole. The main character was a privileged, spoiled, 20 something who's main priorities were getting enough foam on her latte and making sure people think her clothing labels are des ...more
Molly
This is the first book in the chicklit series featuring Sydney Alexander. The book cover is great; the picture reminds me of Audrey Hepburn. Title (and subtitle)—creative, appealing. Judging by the title and book cover, I expected an enjoyable, slightly satirical read, which would poke some harmless (but pointed) fun at Christians and the whole dating scene. I thought that sort of book would be a refreshing change from the usual mushy love story.

But preachy dialogue and moral-of-the-story narrat
Denise
I was very disappointed by the name brand dropping on seemingly every page. Are Christians identified by not drinking, sleeping around, and occasionally remembering to pray? Otherwise, let's shop and eat as much as we want and God will drop a man in your lap!
Brittney Walker
Nov 24, 2007 Brittney Walker rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: any girl that needs a good laugh...
I started this book Thanksgiving night and couldn't put it down. It was so funny! Any girl who has ever dated someone or liked someone and it didn't work out will relate to this girl in the book.
Julie
Loved it! Written by a local author who gives a light and witty account of her adventures in dating while also keeping her values in check. Not at all preachy...appealing to all readers!
Theartisttraveler
This book is hilarious. I didn't realise it was a Christian book at first because the type on the front of the book was so light. So going into it I didn't view it from a Christian point of view. However I still immensely enjoyed it and helped rekindle some faith and thoughts on faith I hadn't had in a long time. It's a pleasurable read, that goes from different points of view, not just the two main character Sydney and Samantha sisters. So you get male point of views, and female ones, and I wou ...more
Lindsey
Incredible witty really enjoying this one.
Joana
This one hooked me from beginning to end. It definitely was not what I was expecting and that was a good thing. When I first saw the title I thought, oh great, another guide to dating. However, this is definitely not what this book is. I found the heroine, Sydney Alexander to be very, very entertaining. The quirky travel writer is addicted to shopping and drowns her sorrows in ice cream. Sydney is looking for her dream guy, yet all she keeps getting are bad dates. So what is she doing wrong?

The
Michelle
More like 4.5 stars...

About the book:

Travel writer Sydney Alexander is ready for one particular journey to end: her frustrating search for a Mr. Right. As a Christian twentysomething navigating the weird world of dating, she's encountered more than her share of frogs. From men who can't keep a job to self-centered professionals, her lackluster dates leave Sydney wondering where the good guys are hiding.

But things are looking way up. Just after landing her dream job, she meets an eligible round o
Beth Butler
For the first half of this book it was very distracting to read all of these brand names. Regular adjectives would have been better. I felt like this book should have been paid for all the product placement. The story was okay but the main character needed more depth.
The last third of the book when the author gave up using product names and focused on the characters was much easier to read and enjoyable.
Brianna
Funny and heartwarming

I loved this book. At first I thought it was a real autobiography instead of just fiction! It was funny. Sometimes the narrative is hard to follow since you switch between points of view. It can be confusing to remember which girl you're reading. The ending is also a little rushed. I would have liked more time getting to know the man she ends up with. Even so, I definitely recommend this book.
Barbara Hartzler
I loved the main character's voice. Sydney was fabulous and always off to a new destination. Quite fun!

However, I wish the author had delved deeper into Sydney's character. Insted she filled half the book with head-hopping, 3rd person POV scenes that jarred me--since Sydney's POV is in first person. It was quite confusing.

After awhile, I got used to it. And I really wanted to know what would happen to Sydney. But I had to wade through extended flashbacks and 92% of the book (according to my Kind
Hannah
I've not read Jennifer Cox's saga by the same title, but this book feels like it stole the idea and tried to sanitize it by putting a Christian spin on it.
Amy (Books, College, and Other Random Things)
I was excited when I saw this book in a not so local Christian book store. I thought it sounded soooo funny. I liked this book ok, but there are several things that bothered me. I don't mind it when a book tells from several people's POV, but I found myself liking to read more about what was happening to Sydney's younger sister, Samantha, than I did her or the other characters. I also didn't like that the person she ends up with is really introduced or mention a developing relationships until th ...more
Monica
Apr 13, 2015 Monica rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Young Adults
Fun read! :)
R.L. Syme
At long last, my search for an excellent Christian chick lit novelist has ended. Thankfully, Banister is young enough in her career that I think we can expect many more great novels from her. I found Sydney Alexander to be engaging and fun--a heroine whom I genuinely wanted to find her happy ending. And the Christian side of the book was incredibly well-done. Not clunky or self-righteous, Banister makes the God that Sydney and her friends worship into someone that I recognize. God.
Biscuit
Reasonable narrative style although dialogue is not the writer's strong point.

Annoying characters who live shallow and superficial lives lacking in honesty, integrity and kindness.

Considering all the main characters attended Bible Schools the grasp of theological concepts, which randomly peppered the story, was shaky at best.

I can't imagine recommending this unwholesome, semi-autobiographical whingeathon to anyone.
Anna
It's quirky, lighthearted, humorous, and definitely falls under the category of 'fluff' reading. I plowed through this in about 2 days flat and enjoyed it for what it was- a way to keep me occupied during a day of traveling. Nothing more.
Aerykah
I didn't finish this book because I wasn't enjoying it & felt like I was having to force myself to read it. I just don't really like the author's writing style.
Heather
Fluffy read. Not too much depth, and sometimes hard to keep track of the very many characters. I might read the sequel, though. Sydney was a good heroine.
Jane
It was a decent book, but I think I had different expectations for it than what it delivered, otherwise it might have gotten rated higher?
Anna
This book was pretty good. I actually enjoyed the story. It was charming and yet not something that would take a lot of brain power.
stacie
slow read at first but it's refreshing to read a modern fiction book about a successful Christian female in today's society.
Angela Good
If you are a nice single gal...read this book!!! It will make you laugh and thankful that you are single. LOL!
Kelsy Moreno
I found it entertaining read , just to kill time kind if book wasn't the best but I did like it.
Apryle
I loved this book!! Must get the next one in the series!!
Melissa
Christian serial dater. Not terribly memorable.
Becky
and more fun 'cause it was set in MPLS :)
Vicky Clinkscales
Light read, cute book. Enjoyed it.
Caitlin
Put it in your beach bag this summer
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Dreaming in Technicolor
  • The Narrow Path
  • The Mother Road
  • Rally 'Round Green (Green #4)
  • Let's Get It On!: The Making of MMA and Its Ultimate Referee
  • Beautiful
  • Lost in Rooville
  • Working Successfully with Screwed-Up People
  • Zombie Bits (Murdermouth)
  • Murder in Store
  • Shadow Moon (Unbidden Magic, #4)
  • True Crime in the Civil War: Cases of Murder, Treason, Counterfeiting, Massacre, Plunder & Abuse
  • Ten Rules for a Call Girl (Anna Curtis, #1.5)
  • Personality Plus at Work: How to Work Successfully with Anyone
  • Murder in the Round (Pamela Barnes Acoustic Mystery #5)
  • Stealing Adda
  • As a Decade Fades
  • Moon White: Color Me Enchanted (TrueColors, #11)
While growing up in a no-stoplight town in the land of perpetual winter in northwest Wisconsin, it’s no surprise that author, freelance writer and movie critic Christa A. Banister fell in love with words and stories at a very young age.

Reading was always a favorite escape from the small-town doldrums, and some of her happiest days were spent looking for new literary treasures at the local public l
More about Christa Banister...
Blessed Are the Meddlers: Confessions of a Serial Matchmaker Hungry: An Ultra-Vertical Devotional Adventure