Walter Was Worried

Walter Was Worried

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  116 ratings  ·  40 reviews
Opposite the simple declarative sentence, "Walter was worried" is a portrait of a very worried Walter. But wait! The letters that spell out his feelings form his facial characteristics, as well as his expression. Gradually a simple story unfolds: the sky grows dark, the fog rolls in, lightning lights the sky, and thunder shakes the trees; Priscilla was puzzled, Shirley was...more
Published August 22nd 2006 by Square Fish (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Walter Was Worried, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Walter Was Worried

Whitney
Walter Was Worried is a fantastic book for children to read when they are learning about different emotions a person can have. The book tells us about eight children who have different emotions about a scary storm. Each child has a different emotion to go with the sequence of the storm. The book starts out with Walter being worried about the sky growing dark, but by the end Elliot was ecstatic when the sun came out. This book is helpful when teaching children about the weather cycle. It is impor...more
Heidi
Seeger, Laura Vaccaro. Walter was Worried. Roaring Book Press, 2005. 34Pages. Concept Picture Book

Summary – Uh, oh! Here comes a storm! As they experience every emotion during the phases of a tempest, the feelings are written all over the children’s faces – literally!

Area for Critique – Creativity behind the book.

(B) I expected the pictures to depict the emotions that were stated in the story; however, I didn’t expect to see the letters of the feelings spelled out on the children’s faces.

(C) Fro...more
Emily
The image of a boy’s worried face staring out from the cover of this book is curiously intriguing upon first glance. With no title on the cover, one is immediately drawn to open this book and discover more about this perplexing little boy. Soon one learns that this boy is none other than Walter, a boy who is worried. However, upon closer inspection, one finds that Walter is also a boy who is visually defined by his worried state. Along with the other characters introduced in this story, Walter’s...more
Olivia Bailey
I love this book because of the art possibilities it has. The illustrations in the book consists of faces with the words described spelled in the faces. I can see this as an activity where students can draw a description of words (vocabulary) and write the words in the picture.
The words are all in past tense, so this could introduce students to past tense words. Students will learn about past tense words being regular and irregular. This book provides many regular verbs that needs the -ed endin...more
Mckinley
Nice show of emotions.
See also Happy by Mies van Hout; even though this one is fish and not humans!
Rachel
Great alliterations and cool use of the letters to make the faces of the characters.
Emily
A neat book with many possible applications, including identifying letters in the pictures, learning vocabulary and synonyms, and an alliteration writing unit.
Mary Ann
I really liked this simple text that helps kids name strong emotions. The illustrations are fantastic - great paintings, close-up of kids' faces. Very fun graphics for the text. And I liked how it turned positive in the end. Here are some samples (they're split / so you have to turn the page to find out why)

"Walter was worried when / the sky turned dark.
Priscilla was puzzled when / the fog rolled in.
Shirley was shocked when / the lightning lit the sky.
...
Delilah was delighted when / the rain tur...more
Brenda Cregor
This is one of those books you have to SEE to believe!
The illustrator took the letters from the adjectives/words to describe the characters of the book and made their features and expressions on their face, in order to match the characters' feelings.
Quite ingenius.
I mean, the illustrations are not masterpieces, but the idea is original and appealing to children, and adults like me.
This book can be used to teach linking verbs and adjectives.
In addition, the short story can teach children to...more
Amanda
This book is awesome! Each page has a different emotion for each different kid which is pictured on the opposite page. Each face is then pictured and all the features are made out of the letters in the emotion word ie Walter on the cover has a D mouth, an o eye and an e eye, l nose, r eyebrows and a w and i worry line under each eye. It took me a second to figure out that's what was going on, but my alphabet loving son loved that and it was very interactive for the reason. I thought it would be...more
Lindsey Johnson
Oct 05, 2009 Lindsey Johnson added it
Shelves: pbgs-2
This book has bright and vivid colors in it. I like how it has like one solid color on the page but the color changes for every page so it keeps it interesting. The font changes every time. Sometime it will be small lettering then it will get huge for what the picture is talking about. The best part of the whole book is whatever word it is talking about it spells out on the face of the character with its eyes, nose mouth and forehead. You would not know it says that until you look into detail of...more
Chrissie
I think this book will work best when the child reads it with an adult. It can be used as a starting point for discussing their own emotions, what causes them, how we express them or how different people feel different emotions to a given experience. The book also can be be used with children of different ages which makes for a more lively reading experience. Small children can look for the kite and show how they feel. Older children can look after the letters hidden in the facial expresions.
Emily
The pictures in the book have hidden letters that spell out the emotion of the character. What a great way to talk to students about feelings. They are sure to be attentive in this book that requires active engagement to figure out! This book teaches letter recognition, spelling, and alliteration. The School Library Journal Review says "With only one sentence per page, there is surprising depth in this wonderful collaboration of art and story."
Renee
Dec 03, 2012 Renee rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: paw
Simple text about some kids who have different feelings about the storm coming in. "Priscilla was puzzled when..' the opposite page shows the girls puzzled face and the letters PUZZLED are used to make up her face.

A good book for sitting down one on one with a child to find all the letters. Might not work well with a large group.

Could be used for feelings/emotions or letter recognition.
Patrick
I actually loved this one more than I thought it would. We like weather. We like expressive faces. We like hidden details to look for in pictures. Check, check, and check. (Bonus squiggly check for the fact my daughter was excited by the title because she has a crush on a boy named Walter who looks nothing like the boy in the book and is a foot shorter than her.)
Molly
It's cute. Be prepared to explain what the words mean :)
Carrie Horton
I really liked this book. There wasn't much to the text, however the illustrations made up for it. In each of the pages where one of the children showed an expression it showed that expression broken into its letters and used in the pictures, I thought that was neat, I also enjoyed looking for each of the letters. That alone draws the readers in. Good book!
June
Oct 15, 2013 June rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: emotions or feelings requests
I always find Hanoch Piven's illustrations interesting and Seeger's faces illustrated with the letters of the emotion pictured reminds me of them. I might try this at a smaller story time of PJ time and see if the children can find the letters.
Bhunter2012
This book will help children read because it is very graphic. The pictures tell you everything that is going on in the story. Also their is a pattern to the names and their actions, allowing kids to see the same letter and pronounce the same letter multiple times will help them learn quicker.
Barb Middleton
I had the kindergarteners use the iPad app, Photobooth, and make a worried face after reading this book. Did they have fun. I wanted to reinforce the story. Next time I saw them they asked to make "funny faces." Anybody know of a good read aloud with funny faces for 5-7 year olds?
Tracy
This is a cool book. It has some simple emotions that children feel, but also the illustrations of the emotions have the letters of the words hidden on their faces. I like to discover things like that in a book.
Constance
Just read this book to a group of 3 year olds on this stormy, dark day! As I read "when the clouds rolled in" a very observant boy said "Just like our clouds!" Then came the rain; "just like our rain!"
Linda
Oct 12, 2009 Linda rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: All ages
Good book about feelings and facial expressions.
Also good from the art perspective - all the emotional words are spelled out in the face - reminds me of the Graphic Alphabet book.
Randie
An advanced concept book about feelings that highlights emotional vocabulary, strong word choice inspired by weather, and facial expressions that help to show the emotion.
Jen H.
Children are afraid of the storm but happy when the sun comes out. Letters can be found in their facial expressions on how they are feeling.
Lauren Wenberg
The emotions shown on the face were amazing. Great for ELL's that can put an image to different feelings. A fun book to make readers feel successful!
Kristie
This book highlights many different emotions, showing the children's faces depicted with letters of the alphabet. Includes simple alliterative text.
aubrey
loved this simple book with letters as the facial features of the characters. easy for ava to read and fun for max to find the letters.
Stefani
Jun 05, 2008 Stefani rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: preschool
Shelves: read-picture
Facial expressions shown as a storm rolls in. Could be used to teach more complex emotions to preschoolers.
Daryn
Second graders love finding the words more than hearing the story. Very engaging and a fun read!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Laura Vaccaro Seeger is a New York Times best-selling author and illustrator and the recipient of a 2008 Caldecott Honor, Theodor Seuss Geisel Honors for both 2009 and 2008, a 2007 New York Times Best Illustrated Book Award, and the 2007 Boston Globe/Horn Book Award for Best Picture Book. Her books include First the Egg, The Hidden Alphabet, and Dog and Bear, among others.

Raised on Long Island, Ne...more
More about Laura Vaccaro Seeger...
Green First the Egg Lemons Are Not Red One Boy Bully