Start by marking “Rechenka's Eggs” as Want to Read:
Rechenka's Eggs

Rechenka's Eggs

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  1,061 ratings  ·  45 reviews
Babushka, known for her exquisite hand-painted eggs, finds Rechenka, a wounded goose, and takes her home. When she's ready to try her wings again, Rechenka accidentally breaks all of Babushka's lovingly crafted eggs. But the next morning Babushka awakens to a miraculous surprise. Full color.
Published March 28th 1988 by Philomel Books

To ask other readers questions about Rechenka's Eggs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rechenka's Eggs

Ronyell
Rechenka

When I was reading Patricia Polacco’s books, I was interested in knowing more about how Patricia Polacco studied Russian and Greek iconographic history in the Royal Melbourne Institute, which along with her interest in painting Ukrainian eggs, inspired her to create this story! “Rechenka’s Eggs” is a Russian tale by Patricia Polacco about how a talented old lady named Babushka finds an injured goose one night and she soon discovers that the goose now named Rechenka, lays eggs that are not your...more
Lisa Vegan
Dec 30, 2009 Lisa Vegan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: 3-8 year olds; for Easter reading; for those who appreciate nature
Oh, so cute. This is a lovely fantasy story. It’s about a woman who paints award winning Ukrainian painted eggs. She saves a goose wounded by a hunter, and this delightful story goes from there. In order to avoid spoilers, I can’t really say much about what happens, but it’s a sweet story with a sweet ending. The illustrations of the painted eggs are wondrous, as are the illustrations of the caribou, geese, woman, the woman’s dwelling, and the festival. There’s a lovely, not too heavy handed, mo...more
Kathryn
Lovely Easter tale with a Russian flavor. The decorated eggs are gorgeous, and the tale of enjoying the miracles of spring is touching and timely.
Dolly
Jan 21, 2011 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We are slowly making our way through Patricia Polacco's books. We picked this one out because of the gorgeously decorated eggs on the cover; we wanted to compare this story with the book The Easter Egg Farm we've recently read. The stories were very different, but have a similar plot twist that is fantastic and pretty much impossible.

We most enjoyed the cultural references to Russia (like the native pronounciation of Moscow as Moskva, the religious icon, and the onion-domed buildings) and the s...more
Candice
Apr 18, 2011 Candice rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sophie - when she's older
Shelves: picture-books
An old Russian tale of kind old woman Babushka and her beautiful painted eggs. Babushka's eggs are so beautiful that they win the competition in Moskva every year. One winter day Babushka finds an injured goose which she names Rechenka and brings into her home to nurse back to health. Rechenka lays eggs for Babushka's breakfast, but one day she jumps up on Babushka's work table, upsetting Babushka's paints and ruining her eggs. What can Rechenka do to make up for this? It's a beautifully illustr...more
Rosa Cline
This is a remarkable story about an elderly woman who can make very beautiful drawing and painting on egg shells. She makes them to sell at the market. one day she finds a goose and makes friends with her... but once the goose gets better she destroys all of her eggs so she has nothing to sell. But something wonderful happens each day the goose lays the most beautiful decorated eggs for the woman. The women although doesn't want to knows that the goose needs to be turned back out to the wild but...more
Marci
Patricia Polacco is of Russian/Ukrainian ancestry and loves to share her heritage with her young readers. Her story is delightful and meaninful and her illustrations perfect. As in the story, Patricia likes to paint decorative Ukrainian eggs. This would be a wonderful story to share with children before decorating Easter eggs. But in truth it's wonderful to share at any time.
Loraine
This delightful Russian children's fantasy story relates the story of new life at Easter through the eyes of Old Babushka. Ms. Polacco's illustrations definitely add to the enjoyment of this book.
Maria
I love Patricia Polacco's books. This one is a favorite. We read it every Easter season. Being of Ukrainian decent, I love to read her stories because my kids can relate since our language & culture is similar. It's nice to have that written down.

For the same reason, I love Jan Brett's "The Mitten." It's a classic Ukrainian folk tale retold.

Using the words Babuska & Baba for Grandmother, just as my kids do for my Mother, is nice. None of their American friends have heard the word before...more
Robert
I purchased this at Triple Oaks nursery in Franklinville, NJ. I had taken a craft lesson with the nursery to learn how to make Russian eggs. I was no good at the task, but purchased this wonderful story nonetheless.
****

Polacco can tell a story. Here she spins a new spool off the old yarn of goose who laid a golden egg. Set in oldtime Russia, the babushka's kindness is rewarded. Such lovely illustrations that accompany the text!
****
My students really took to this story this year. It's nice to be...more
Gale
THE EASTER GIFT THAT KEEPS ON GIVING

Charmingly told and illustrated this gem reads like a Russian fairy tale. I had the privilage of hearing this gifted author speak at a seminar in CA, so I was eager to enjoy her talents first hand. Old Babushka (Granny) is famous in the environs of Moscow for her prize-winning decorated Easter eggs. When she shows compassion and rescues an injured goose she is rewarded by an egg each day--bigger than normal chicken eggs too. However, upon recuperation the clum...more
Katrina Cole
I thought this story did a good job of sharing some of the culture and traditions from Russia. I remember making Easter eggs like these with my older cousins when I was a child. My only complaint is that the beginning of the book portrays hunting in a negative way. I liked the woman's caring spirit, but disagree with the negative message that is given towards hunters. However, the cultural significance and wonderful illustrations still earn this title four stars.
Margaret LaRaia
"There was a little old lady...."

So many children's stories begin this way. This is one of the good stories
I love that Polacco draws the woman's face in faint pencil and creates liveliness and contrast through her vibrant clothes. The old woman didn't make the eggs that won her the prize but her kindness allowed them to be made. That's a story worth telling.
Whole And

Visually, stunning.

The story, a bit sad, lonesome with pockets of miracles and joy.
Simple contentment and unexpected gifts, healing, loss, letting go and receiving.

A story weaving many of life's expressions into one, leaving us feeling humbled and grateful.
Linda Lipko
Polacco is of Russian/Ukrainian heritage. Many of her books hold the title Babushka (word for grandmother). This book centers of the love of nature, caring for the wild, and embracing talents. Taught years ago, Babushka continues the love of painting beautiful Ukrainian Easter Eggs. Wehn Rechenka, a wounded goose enters her life, she cares for her. Unfortuantely, after she finishes a basket of hand painted eggs, Rechenka mistakenly breaks them.

To repay her misdeed, Rechenka provides one multicol...more
Hard to give this four stars. Wish there were 3.5. I loved the story, but I felt like Polacco's illustrations were rushed. She is more talented than this.
Carole
A lonely old woman rescues an injured wild goose and nurses her back to health. Every day the goose lays an egg for the old woman. The old woman is known for and has won contests for her extraordinary painted eggs. One day the goose accidently breaks her painted eggs ; the old woman is upset because she was going to enter them in a contest. From that day on, the goose lays an extraordinarily beautiful egg every day which the lady enters in the contest and wins. The goose is healed and flies off...more
Rosemary
A lovely book. I like to read it to my class at Easter.
Randie
Babushka is known by all for her beautiful painted eggs. She plans to enter a basket of the painted eggs for the Easter Festival. One snowy night, Babushka discovers a hurt goose and she takes the creature in, naming her Rechenka. The two are bonding and everything seems to great until Rechenka accidentally breaks all of Babushka Festival eggs. But, the next day Babushka is surprised by a miracle. Will she still be able to enter the Festival? What will happen to Rechenka when she heals?

Great sto...more
Carol Royce Owen
Babushka is known for the beautiful eggs that she painted. Every year she would take them to the Easter Festival where they would always win first prize. Babushka sees beauty in every living creature, calling each a miracle, and when one day a goose falls out of the sky with an injured wing she brings it inside to nurse it back to health. She names the goose Rechenka and their special relationship results in eggs more beautiful than any others.
Mhm Storytelling
This is a very sweet book and perfect for Easter or even an activity about birds. I used this book in my classroom when my students were learning about Ukrainian Easter eggs. They loved the ending! This book is great for asking students to make predictions as well as providing beautiful examples of Easter eggs.

Abby
Janet
Polacco's illustrations for this story are great; the folkart style is appropriate for the story and the unfilled white areas on the pages do well to showcase the bold colors of the illustrations. Prefer this verison over the other one I just finished, The Bird's Gift retold by Eric Kimmel.
Bree
Notes:
the art in this book is colorful and eye-catching
the magical bird helps the woman win a contest
babyhippoface
Rechenka's Eggs is one of my favorite Patricia Polacco books (I also love Babushka's Doll). The beautifully detailed eggs always draw my attention. The story is nice, the illustrations are lovely, the ending is satisfying. What more do you need?
Shannon
I feel like this book was designed for the express purpose of prompting art lessons on pyansky, which is perfectly fine by me. I loved the art in this one -- that the faces weren't very bright or detailed but the clothing and eggs were.
Katie
This is a beautiful book! It would be great for a folk tale unit or introduction. Teachers could talk about Russia and the beautiful eggs and then have students make or color their own.
Lora
Patricia Polacco is always a great choice... as long as your kids have the attention span for a longer picture book. This is a cool one for Easter.
Heloyce
Another great book by Patricia Polacco. Her sense and appreciation for family and tradition is wonderful. Loved the illustrations.
Kim
beautifully illustrated tale of little miracles

themes: Easter, eggs, festival, goose, miracle, Moscow, Russia, Spring
Eve
  • The Legend of the Indian Paintbrush
  • The Easter Egg
  • The Golden Egg Book
  • The Patchwork Quilt
  • The Talking Eggs
  • Tree of Cranes
  • Borreguita and the Coyote (Reading Rainbow Books)
  • Night in the Country
  • Follow the Drinking Gourd
  • Martina the Beautiful Cockroach: A Cuban Folktale
  • The Fool of the World and the Flying Ship
  • Island Boy
  • Paul Bunyan, a Tall Tale
  • Brave Irene (Sunburst Books)
  • The Quiltmaker's Gift
  • A Letter to Amy
  • The Quilt Story
Thank You, Mr. Falker Pink and Say The Keeping Quilt Thunder Cake Chicken Sunday