Hug Time

Hug Time

4.42 of 5 stars 4.42  ·  rating details  ·  471 ratings  ·  79 reviews
There was once a kitten so filled with love he wanted to give the whole world a hug!

And so Jules the kitten (also known in the Mutts cartoons as "Shtinky Puddin'") goes down the stairs to hug his friends, then all the birds in the park--and then he travels the world, hugging all those he meets! As Jules learns, a hug is the simplest--but kindest--gift we can give. And you...more
Published November 1st 2007 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Hug Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hug Time

Paul
I got this book to read with my (then) just barely two-year-old daughter. It turns-out that this was one of the best book purchases that I've made in a number of years. My daughter went nuts and has made this the most frequently requested last book of the night. The three big things that she latched-onto were:

(1) The book has an assortment of animals (the Boynton books are another regular request) and even a Boabab Tree (which she just likes to say).
(2) The book is about hugs (a big feature of...more
Jamil
Jan 10, 2008 Jamil rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Miles & Malcolm & Gavin
Recommended to Jamil by: Carter
Jules gives the best hugs. Awesome drawings (by the cartoonist of Mutts). I especially like the whale-hug, the tiger & the polar bear.
Michelle
Mommy Bookworm’s Thoughts: This is an adorable book!! It encourages kindness to everyone around us and shows that when we are kind to others, we will receive kindness in return. The illustrations are great! The reading level is definitely for ages 4+, but I think even younger children could enjoy this book because of the drawings, which take up most of the page. It’s a great lesson in love!

Dahlia Bookworm’s Thoughts (11 years old): I like the book because it is cute and neat how the kitten wants...more
Ina
A Cat decides that the world would be better off if he gave every animal on earth a hug…and then he sets off to go around the world and gives hugs to an amazing collection of animals. Rhyming text and charming illustrations make this a wonderful book…the small format and small illustrations make this difficult to read to a huge group, but my story time audience of almost 30 didn't seem to mind.
Samantha
This is a great book that can encourage students to be kind. The illustrations in this book are so sweet. I love the diverse animals on the kitten's to hug list. Great book for building a classroom community.
Cara Farmer
I got this book at urban outfitters of all places. I was drawn to it for it's sweet name and simple illustrations. I love how it makes the whole world seen like a close community that you can just reach out and hug. I think this book could be used to help build community in the classroom.
Paul
Spiffy rhyming couplets. Nifty lines and illustrations. Love the idea of a who to "Hug To-Do List." It's almost always "HUG TIME!"
Lynde
Feb 03, 2008 Lynde rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: kids
I purchased this book today without reading it in a rush, but for the boys. it just looked cute (i sometimes judge by the cover...bad girl!). i read it to them when we got home. they both loved it, i loved the sentiment. i loved that it was earth-centered (friendly), there were a lot of animals, and just sweet. yes, it's sappy but sometimes that is good. :) at the end i offered N a hug but he still gave me a high 5. where did my little boy go!? also, as an unexpected surprise there is a blue wha...more
April Thompson
Have you made your hug to-do list? Well have ya?
Juliette
Feb 07, 2014 Juliette added it
Shelves: year-2, own
Valentine's Day '14 book from Gogo!
Suzen
Everyone gets a hug!!! Great book to read before going to a zoo as well.
Anna
This book is so sweet! I totally cried. It's the story of a kitten who wants to give the world a hug. Author Patrick McDonnell is a creator of the MUTT's comic strip and this
story 's illustrations are done in his trademark simple style. It's a short story written in rhyme and the book is little kid size...not quite Beatrix Potter small though. It's soooo cute. One of those classic feel books. I love it!
Randie
A kitten is filled with so much love that he seeks to hug the whole world. He makes a hug-to-do-list and sets out to achieve and he does. I am particularly fond of the message near the end. Even though the world is big, we can still make a huge impact by just doing what we can with what is near us--in this case hugging those closest to you but the message seems grander.
Jessica
I loved loved loved this book. Little Jules is a kitten so filled with love that he has to give the whole world a hug. So he travels around the world and hugs as many animals as he can. In the process he discovers new species and disappearing ones. Both the text and watercolor illustrations are simple and sweet. The story combines several beautiful messages.
Becky
Mar 13, 2009 Becky rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Julie Moran!
Aw, shucks. What a sweet little book from talented Mutts cartoonist Patrick McDonnell. His books would all make great gift books for a friend or loved one. The kitten in this book (named Jules!) is so tiny compared to all the things he wants to hug, which makes the illustrations that much more endearing. I want to hug a humuhumu fish!
Jeimy
I love this book and it's message. Furthermore, it can be used to teach children about different animals.
Karen
Cute little story about a dog who sets off with a Hug to-do list. I absolutely loved the look of watercolor illustrations printed on recycled paper. Made me think of all the art classes I took and how much I miss it. I might have to buy this one... and get an extra to give as a gift
Melody
Very sweet story to read aloud. I love Patrick McDonnell's characters, he's so good with facial expressions. The kitten in the story goes all around the world hugging animals, and by the time one gets to the end of the book, there's hugging on the couch as well.
Susan
Cute book planning on sharing it with my grandchildren. This is about Jules (a.k.a. Shtinky Puddn') who believes if he shares his love through hugs it will make the world a better place.....Love it! He travels near and far to try to accomplish his mission.
Cody
Feb 04, 2008 Cody rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who could use a hug.
Shelves: kids-books
the illustrations are simple and beautiful and come to think of it, so is the story. it's easy to underestimate the power of a hug. hug time helps put things back in perspective. patrick mcdonnell can do no wrong.
Hilary
Jules decides that the world needs more hugs, and sets off to prove it. Traveling from Africa to Australia, he hugs animals (and occasionally trees) the world around - and not just your regular animals either!
Peacegal
McDonnell just has the knack for introducing the values of kindness and compassion in an oh-so-gentle way. This is a humane education book for the VERY young, presenting the idea of embracing the earth and each other.
David
Apr 19, 2009 David rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: kids under the age of 6.5
Shelves: low-brow
Cute book, probably great for kids. Nicely illustrated and just a very sweet concept. I'm not the sentimental type but the girlfriend did get this for me for Valentine's Day so it gets an extra star.
Dolly
Oct 10, 2009 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Like Santa Claus, this little cat wants to travel around the world, handing out...hugs. Cute illustrations from a well-known comic strip author. Fun to read aloud (and give lots of hugs while reading.)
Jenna Goodall
Awwww. This book follows a kitten who goes around hugging people and animals and things. It's just incredibly adorable, and ends with "hug time" so you can give a big hug to your little reader!
Paula
The little kitten travels around the world to give everyone a hug. A little small for story time.
Jules the kitten learns that giving a hug is the simplest but kindest gift of all.
Megsprincess87
Very Very cute and heart warming book. I actually really enjoyed the simplicity and innocence of the artwork in this book. I can't wait to share this story with my children someday.
Cindy
That funny shelter cat (I can never remember his name) decides to share the love by huging every creature on the planet. It's a huge job and his heart and hugging paws are up to it . . .
  • Love, Splat
  • Potty
  • Scrawny Cat
  • Book! Book! Book!
  • Kitty Cat, Kitty Cat, Are You Waking Up?
  • The Dog Who Cried Wolf
  • The I LOVE YOU Book
  • I Like You
  • Toot & Puddle (Toot and Puddle)
  • Guji Guji
  • Someday
  • Leaves
  • Here Comes the Big, Mean Dust Bunny!
  • Cloudette
  • Posy
  • Spring Is Here
  • Are You a Cow?
  • The Tin Forest
In 1994 McDonnell created the comic strip MUTTS which now appears in over 700 newspapers and 20 countries.

In 2005, McDonnell embarked on a children's book career. His first children’s book, which featured the MUTTS characters, The Gift of Nothing, quickly became a New York Times bestseller. Art (2006), his second release, told the story of a boy named Art who makes art. His next release, Just Like...more
More about Patrick McDonnell...
Me...Jane The Monsters' Monster The Gift of Nothing Mutts Art