Start by marking “The Experience of the Night” as Want to Read:
The Experience of the Night

The Experience of the Night

3.93  ·  Rating Details  ·  29 Ratings  ·  5 Reviews
One of the great works of Twentieth Century Literary Fantasy The Experience of the Night was published in the last year of The Second World War. It became a cult novel amongst the surrealists, gaining an almost mythic status as the masterpiece of the French Kafka. It inhabits a nighttime world where dream and reality are indistinguishable. A novel about vision, dream and r ...more
Published May 1st 1997 by Dedalus (first published 1945)

To ask other readers questions about The Experience of the Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Experience of the Night

Stephen
Jan 26, 2009 Stephen rated it liked it
Shelves: 2009
Where information on Bealu is to be found in English, two facts are invariably mentioned: (1) his use of dreamlike narrative and logic and (b) that he was greatly admired by the Surrealists, including the almost impossible to please Breton. If Wikipedia is to be trusted, Bealu's almost more famous career as a bookseller began with Jacques Lacan: apparently, Lacan was Bealu's first customer at his bookshop The Crossed Bridge.

As far as I know, The Experience of the Night is the only of Bealu's bo
Tait
May 10, 2010 Tait rated it really liked it
Shelves: french, literature, dreams
A weird and beautiful novel that heavily influenced the Surrealists, The Experience of the Night is told through the illogic of dreams, and as such its highly symbolic plot doesn't make very much sense. But its scenes are breathtaking, and hint at a much more fantastic reality hiding behind the one we commonly think we live in, that is, the reality that exists in each of our subconscious. Read this for its vision, not its meaning.

From a technical perspective, this book would be more effective i
Brent Legault
Mar 08, 2013 Brent Legault rated it liked it
It's no secret that the Kafka label is too easily and urgently pinned on just about anything that involves a man alone against an impermeable, illogical, ununderstandable system, but I doubt that Kafka would appreciate the comparisons, especially with Bealu's cockamamie characters and "plot," which reminded me of what a first-time film-maker with talent but no story might do. Moments of brilliance highlighting spools of overworked bordom.

Here are a couple of noteworthy quotes:

-"Oh, how I longed
Christina
Oct 03, 2010 Christina rated it liked it
This is the strangest book i've read in awhile, abstract, surreal and almost pointless but that it was so humourus and nicely written. Basically the first three quarters of the story involves the protaganist in his quest for improved eye sight and his unexplained obsession with his ophthamologist Dr. Fohat. The story is full of unexplained events which edge on lunacy with even some si-fi tones. Bizarre in every way, though I should give this more stars for being the most original story I've read ...more
Czar
Jul 02, 2007 Czar rated it it was amazing
A whirlwind of fascination and language - engrossing to the hilt - one of the cornerstone building blocks for surrealists.
Shay
Shay marked it as to-read
May 11, 2016
Purplemonkeydishwasher
Purplemonkeydishwasher marked it as to-read
May 06, 2016
Franco Schivazappa
Franco Schivazappa marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2016
Matthias
Matthias rated it it was amazing
Apr 22, 2016
Aaron Mccoy
Aaron Mccoy marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2016
Jeffrey Coleman
Jeffrey Coleman marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2016
Nicole Gauss
Nicole Gauss marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2016
Taylor Stark
Taylor Stark marked it as to-read
Feb 29, 2016
Brandon
Brandon marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2016
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2016
Amelia Mangan
Amelia Mangan marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2016
Rabindranauth
Rabindranauth marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2016
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2015
Kj Farrington
Kj Farrington marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2015
Lilia
Lilia marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2015
Tine Kolenik
Tine Kolenik marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2015
Isabelle
Isabelle marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2015
Lily
Lily marked it as to-read
May 26, 2015
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2016
Melvin Davis
Melvin Davis rated it it was ok
May 12, 2015
Shousha
Shousha marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2015
Sanjay Carter-rau
Sanjay Carter-rau marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2015
Bas
Bas marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »

“Oh, how I longed to burst through the doors and go walking through the streets, with my hands open, like weapons!” 3 likes