Start by marking “Keep Smiling Through” as Want to Read:
Keep Smiling Through

Keep Smiling Through

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  332 ratings  ·  18 reviews
For young Kay, growing up in middle class America during World War II is a confusing and sometimes painful experience. Her stepmother, Amazing Grace, is a selfish woman who takes her unhappiness out on those around her. And for a little girl so concerned with pleasing others and doing the honorable thing, life with Amazing Grace is nearly unbearable. But Kay is also a beli ...more
Published May 1st 1996 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Keep Smiling Through, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Keep Smiling Through

Wendy.x
Apr 10, 2011 Wendy.x is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I think this book is great because it's talking about a girl called ann ,she survived in World War 2 with her stepmother,father,sister and brother . Her stepmother was German and take over ann's happiness and ruined her life , while ann was at school she met a friend called
Jeni Enjaian
I often find it difficult to review children/young adult literature especially after I spend a significant amount of time reading non-fiction. That being said, this is a good book. I have always enjoyed Ann Rinaldi's works.
I found the family situation depressingly sad and heartbreakingly realistic. I kept hoping for some sort of resolution, a sign that the outcome for the family would be much brighter than how it began. Rinaldi skillfully kept that out of the narrative.
The "voice" of the child n
Shaya
Keep Smiling Through is a lovely book. Just like Ann Rinaldi’s other novels there is a strong female character who speaks about life truths in a very straightforward almost painfully honest way.

I really like the theme in this one. You can do the right thing but things can still turn out badly. And I like the title, too.

Kay is a girl growing up in World War II. The story starts out when her best friend learns that her brother has been killed and suddenly all the popular girls flock to her, leavin
Donna
This is a nostalgic look at the life of a young girl here in America during the difficult times of WW II. Rich with tender moments and the young girl searching for meaning and value, the story highlights her bravery in the midst of difficult decisions.
Amyh
Miss Amanda
gr 5-8 188 pgs

small town in New Jersey 1944/1945. 10 year old Kay never knew her mother since she died when Kay was born. Instead she has only had "Amazing" Grace as a stepmother. No matter how hard she tries, Kay can never seem to please her. When Kay witnesses her grandfather is attacked after being given Nazi propaganda, she is torn. Should she tell the whole truth about the attack?

The story includes a lot of information about the daily sacrifices that people made (sugar rationing, limit of 2
Kasey
This was a really great quick read. I felt sorry for the main character though and felt that she didn't get the great ending that she deserved. I love Ann Rinaldi and this was one of the more resent historical books I've read from her. The reason I didn't give it five stars was because I felt there were too many radio references. If you took all those out the book would be 30 pages shorter.
Maggie
I love Ann Rinaldi. All her books are just so fantastic. This one really stands out for me because unlike the others there isn't really any romance in it. which isn't good or bad, just different. Also, it was just a great book. Mrs. Rinaldi captures the whole feeling of the time period beautifully.
I also really liked the Glen Miller's Orchestra and the Shadow references <3.
Susan
Kay, a 10-year-old girl, is growing up in New Jersey during WWII. Kay's mother died when she was born, and she had a stepmother who is bitter, angry, and hateful. Kay wants to be a hero like the stars of the radio programs her family listens to, but when she has to make a painful decision, she finds that "You can do the right thing but things can still turn out badly."
Jack Baillot
When I was younger I read this book almost every year. I loved the story, though it is more of a depressing tale. But there is something about it, something really life that draws you in. Life isn't always easy, but we cannot give up. And I think that is the lesson most clearly seen here. One pities Kay but admires her. It is a very interesting story.
Emily C.
This one was kind of sad... alright, a lot sad. I mean, really depressing. But no tears were shed! It was too short for me to really get into the book... and the characters were... well, bland. The story itself was great, though. Plus I love a good WWII historical fiction. 3 stars!

- Emily @ forthebookish.com
pati
Ten year old Kay, living with her family in NJ during WWII, makes the painful discovery that doing the right thing is not always easy and often has unexpected consequences
Kelsey Nicholson
My favorite book growing up. I read it over and over again. I even stole a copy from my schools library when I was in middle school, oops, but I just loved it so much.
Michelle Polk
a spunky book with history thrown in. One of the better historical fictions about the home front that we have read. From beginning to end it is a page turner.
Jessime
Miriam
Amazing book. It's for those of you who like to read about life for young kids back in the early days.
Jena Minton
A classic Cinderella story without the prince.
Erin K
Nov 06, 2013 Erin K marked it as childhood-reads  ·  review of another edition
v
Sanaii
Sanaii marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2015
Molly
Molly marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2015
Lisa Tisor
Lisa Tisor marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2015
Morgan
Morgan added it
Aug 14, 2015
Julie Benson
Julie Benson marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2015
  • For Freedom: The Story of a French Spy
  • The Journal of Ben Uchida: Citizen 13559 Mirror Lake Internment Camp (My Name Is America)
  • Beyond the Burning Time
  • White Lilacs
  • Cannons at Dawn: The Second Diary of Abigail Jane Stewart, Valley Forge, Pennsylvania, 1779 (Dear America)
  • Like the Willow Tree: The Diary of Lydia Amelia Pierce, Portland, Maine, 1918
  • Monkey Town: The Summer of the Scopes Trial
  • The Parables of Peanuts
  • Valley of the Moon: The Diary of María Rosalía de Milagros, Sonoma Valley, Alta Valley, California, 1846, (Dear America)
  • All the Stars in the Sky: The Santa Fe Trail Diary of Florrie Mack Ryder (Dear America)
  • Joshua's Song
  • North by Night: A Story of the Underground Railroad
  • The Girl Who Chased Away Sorrow: The Diary of Sarah Nita, a Navajo Girl (Dear America)
  • Look to the Hills: The Diary of Lozette Moreau, a French Slave Girl (Dear America)
  • The King's Swift Rider: A Novel on Robert the Bruce
  • Gentle Annie
  • Spring Pearl: The Last Flower (Girls of Many Lands, China)
  • Land of the Buffalo Bones: The Diary of Mary Ann Elizabeth Rodgers, An English Girl in Minnesota (Dear America)
Ann Rinaldi (b. August 27, 1934, in New York City) is a young adult fiction author. She is best known for her historical fiction, including In My Father's House, The Last Silk Dress, An Acquaintance with Darkness, A Break with Charity, and Hang a Thousand Trees with Ribbons. She has written a total of forty novels, eight of which were listed as notable by the ALA. In 2000, Wolf by the Ears was lis ...more
More about Ann Rinaldi...
A Break with Charity: A Story about the Salem Witch Trials Time Enough for Drums Girl in Blue The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre My Heart is on the Ground: the Diary of Nannie Little Rose, a Sioux Girl, Carlisle Indian School, Pennsylvania, 1880 (Dear America)

“...I think he is just an old man who still believes in his country, his old Germany. we all wanted a new Germany, but not at the cost of this madman, Hitler. Your grandpa can't be blamed for loving his old Germany.” 1 likes