Start by marking “Famous Chinese Short Stories” as Want to Read:
Famous Chinese Short Stories

Famous Chinese Short Stories

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  50 ratings  ·  5 reviews
Los cuentos cortos de este volumen son algunos de los más famosos relatos chinos jamás narrados. Comprenden varios de los mejores, aunque no todos los mejores figuran aquí. La selección y renarración de estos cuentos para lectores occidentales imponen una necesaria limitación. Muchos famosos cuentos han sido omitidos, ya sea debido al tema, el material o las suposiciones b ...more
Published June 1st 1979 by Greenwood Press (first published January 1st 1952)

To ask other readers questions about Famous Chinese Short Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Famous Chinese Short Stories

Alison
This book is a collection of tales which have been "translated" from ancient classical Chinese. My version of the book actually says "retold by" rather than "translated by" Lin Yutang as he freely admits in his interesting introduction and footnotes that he has taken "translator's license" with many of the tales in order to render them both more readable, poetic and understandable for a modern English-reading audience.

Indeed the tales are very well written and full of action, mystery, intrigue a
Everest
Diana
Apr 25, 2010 Diana marked it as to-read
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves stories
Recommended to Diana by: My father, Edward A. Martin
Shelves: to-reread
I've marked this to reread, having first read it in my teens. These unusual short stories that have left a profound impression on me. One of my favorites is "Passion, or the Western room." Just read this lyrical beginning paragraph:

"Whenever Yuan Chen stopped at an inn in Pucheng on his official travels, the sound of the nearby monastery bells, especially when heard in his bed at dawn, always touched him to the quick and made him feel young and romantic again. He was in his forties, a convention
Laura Marinkovich
I stumbled upon this beat up book by chance in one of my less favorite used book stores. It was practically falling to pieces in my hands but it was so interesting I just had to get it. From that point on I've been reading the short stories within sporadically but I am certainly impressed.
Few short story collections that I've read have been so interesting and diverse. I cannot believe my luck at finding this wonderful read with it's colorful depictions of China a very long time ago.
Scblaine
Not as enjoyable as the Judge Dee series
J. Pedersen
J. Pedersen marked it as to-read
May 24, 2015
Mj
Mj is currently reading it
May 07, 2015
April
April marked it as to-read
May 06, 2015
Imad
Imad marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2015
Clara Clara
Clara Clara marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2015
Pavan Kumar
Pavan Kumar marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2015
Richard Curry
Richard Curry marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2015
Ryan
Ryan marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2015
Wanning
Wanning marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2015
Sophia712003
Sophia712003 marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2015
Celzie Alidon
Celzie Alidon marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2015
Marketa Fei
Marketa Fei marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2015
Jay
Jay marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2015
E
E added it
Jan 29, 2015
Ciara
Ciara marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
Emmi Aman
Emmi Aman marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2015
Ramon Thomas
Ramon Thomas marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Prolific writer of a wide variety of works in Chinese and English; in the 1930s he founded several Chinese magazines specializing in social satire and Western-style journalism.

Lin, the son of a Chinese Presbyterian minister, was educated for the ministry but renounced Christianity in his early 20s and became a professor of English. He traveled to the United States and Europe for advanced study; on
More about Lin Yutang...
The Importance Of Living Moment In Peking My Country And My People Una hoja en la tormenta The Wisdom of Confucius