Start by marking “Famous Chinese Short Stories” as Want to Read:
Famous Chinese Short Stories

Famous Chinese Short Stories

Los cuentos cortos de este volumen son algunos de los más famosos relatos chinos jamás narrados. Comprenden varios de los mejores, aunque no todos los mejores figuran aquí. La selección y renarración de estos cuentos para lectores occidentales imponen una necesaria limitación. Muchos famosos cuentos han sido omitidos, ya sea debido al tema, el material o las suposiciones b ...more
Published June 1st 1979 by Greenwood Press (first published January 1st 1952)

To ask other readers questions about Famous Chinese Short Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Famous Chinese Short Stories

Alison
Sep 30, 2012 Alison rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: folklore
This book is a collection of tales which have been "translated" from ancient classical Chinese. My version of the book actually says "retold by" rather than "translated by" Lin Yutang as he freely admits in his interesting introduction and footnotes that he has taken "translator's license" with many of the tales in order to render them both more readable, poetic and understandable for a modern English-reading audience.

Indeed the tales are very well written and full of action, mystery, intrigue a
Everest
Aug 23, 2012 Everest rated it really liked it
Shri
Apr 28, 2016 Shri added it
3.5

Well - it felt more like fables than stories :-) These really short stories are supposedly some of the best Chinese tales and are listed under diverse topics like Adventure, Love, Ghosts, Satire etc in this collection. Good number of them amused me and some were chuckle-worthy indeed. Some left me feeling annoyed for the lack of closure. Not sure if it was lost in translation. My favorite ones are "The Jade Goddess", "The Wolf of Chungsan", "The Poets' Club" and "The White Monkey".
Diana
Apr 25, 2010 Diana marked it as to-read
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves stories
Recommended to Diana by: My father, Edward A. Martin
Shelves: to-reread
I've marked this to reread, having first read it in my teens. These unusual short stories that have left a profound impression on me. One of my favorites is "Passion, or the Western room." Just read this lyrical beginning paragraph:

"Whenever Yuan Chen stopped at an inn in Pucheng on his official travels, the sound of the nearby monastery bells, especially when heard in his bed at dawn, always touched him to the quick and made him feel young and romantic again. He was in his forties, a convention
Lisa
Jan 16, 2016 Lisa rated it really liked it
Great introduction to tales from imperial China's cosmopolitan Tang dynasty, Song dynasty, and Qing dynasty. Includes the original version of the famous Miao-Meng (Hmong) aboriginal tale of Yeh Hsien, the world's oldest Cinderella story.
Laura Marinkovich
I stumbled upon this beat up book by chance in one of my less favorite used book stores. It was practically falling to pieces in my hands but it was so interesting I just had to get it. From that point on I've been reading the short stories within sporadically but I am certainly impressed.
Few short story collections that I've read have been so interesting and diverse. I cannot believe my luck at finding this wonderful read with it's colorful depictions of China a very long time ago.
Elisabeth -
May 25, 2016 Elisabeth - rated it really liked it
a good but not-so-easy to read book with short Chinese stories. Some of them are really great, some a bit boring, but it is worth to read it :)
Scblaine
Dec 18, 2010 Scblaine rated it liked it
Not as enjoyable as the Judge Dee series
Amy Beck
Amy Beck is currently reading it
Sep 19, 2016
Marcia
Marcia rated it liked it
Sep 12, 2016
William
William marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2016
yes marked it as to-read
Carly
Carly is currently reading it
Paris Kokkas
Paris Kokkas rated it really liked it
Aug 08, 2016
Chen Yuanyuan
Chen Yuanyuan marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2016
Iris Carina
Iris Carina is currently reading it
Jun 20, 2016
Cyrill
Cyrill marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2016
Smita
Smita rated it liked it
Jun 03, 2016
Dmitry
Dmitry rated it liked it
May 21, 2016
Sandeep
Sandeep marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2016
Rajat
Rajat marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
Sanjay Gautam
Sanjay Gautam marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
Vivian Wang
Vivian Wang marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2016
Eden June
Eden June marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2016
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2016
Mingjie Wang
Mingjie Wang rated it liked it
Mar 24, 2016
Lecturas Encontradas
Lecturas Encontradas marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2016
Daung
Daung marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Prolific writer of a wide variety of works in Chinese and English; in the 1930s he founded several Chinese magazines specializing in social satire and Western-style journalism.

Lin, the son of a Chinese Presbyterian minister, was educated for the ministry but renounced Christianity in his early 20s and became a professor of English. He traveled to the United States and Europe for advanced study; on
More about Lin Yutang...