Start by marking “Death in High Places” as Want to Read:
Death in High Places

Death in High Places

3.21 of 5 stars 3.21  ·  rating details  ·  107 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Two friends embark on a climb of treacherous Anarchy Ridge but only one will make it down alive. Unjustly blamed for his friend’s haunting death, the other must run for his life as a mourning father seeks revenge, in Jo Bannister's thrilling mystery novel Death in High Places

Two friends stand at the foot of the glacier, looking up to Anarchy Ridge. They can't see the summi...more
Published August 2nd 2011 by Minotaur Books (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Death in High Places, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death in High Places

Susan
Interesting premise (2 friends go climbing, and only one returns, and the book explores the effects on the survivor). But the plot is both homophobic and ludicrous, with badly written dialogue and undeveloped characters. A major disappointment.
Ellen
Two 20-something British men go for a dangerous climb on a remote Alaskan mountain. One dies and the other says that he had to cut the rope to save himself, but that the other was already dead. The dead man's father is an Irish mobster and he hires a hit man to kill the survivor. A man who has a reason to keep the survivor alive steps in and saves him from the hit man. The action then follows the two men to the rescuer's home in the countryside. Lots of twists and turns. I liked the writing, alt...more
Arthur
Nick Horn and the McKendrick's characterizes dialogue, thrilling actions & jeopardy. Together they are trying to stay alive in this interesting novel. It's short and fast paced for the most of it which is mostly dialogue lines and some description. Most of the description was almost unnecessary as it was more like a play without many setting changes or location really. It goes back and forth between spoke dialogue that it was a wonder who was speaking sometimes. I found the repetitive ideas...more
Monica
Uneven. Interesting premise - the aftermath of a climbing accident, two young friends go up a wild Alaskan peak, one falls to his death. The other, Nicky Horn, says he was forced to cut the rope or they both would have died. The wealthy criminal father of the dead youth hires a hit man to kill the survivor. One night Horn is attacked by the hit man and he is saved by the intervention of a stranger who takes him home with him. If this seems too good to be true, it is.

The stranger is a wealthy bus...more
MaryAnn
This book was not at all what I thought it would be--a story of a mountain-climbing adventure gone awry. Instead, it's more about how humans might react in life-threatening situations. There are really only 4 characters who play important roles, but the conversations they hold while other events unfold around them are key--and the book is full of surprises, although the ending might have been a little weak.
Linda
This is the story of when two friends climb a mountain and only one comes down. The father of the one who didn't make it wants revenge. When I started reading this story I couldn't put it down. After a while it slowed down so much I almost didn't finish reading it. Then the story line got strange. The ending was very different from what I could have imagined.
Errol Hess
This is a gem of a book. Nothing extraneous. Meticulously crafted. Almost small and fast-paced enough to read in one sitting. (I did take a break for dinner, started after lunch, and finished by bedtime.) Unity of time and place. Characters do develop and are changed by the action. Add Bannister to your list of watch out for writers.
Geraldine
I like a book that pulls me in on the first page which this book did. It held my attention until the end. There were several surprises that I didn't see coming. When I was 1/2 way through I tried to figure out how all the characters would fit together and how it would end and I couldn't. To me that is a good mystery.
Gkl
The characters were all unreasonably flawed. Their responses to the primary event were not believable given their depth of knowledge of the circumstances. While the setting and secondary adventure was interesting, the rantings and posturing of the characters had me rooting for the hitman to win...
Rita	 Marie
The last 50 pages of this book are top-notch. But, oh, what you have to go through to get there. Endless agonizing about moral rights and wrongs by three characters isolated in a "castle" with danger lurking outside.

My recommendation? Skim like mad and enjoy the ending. It really is very, very good.
Jennifer Holt
Decent book, interesting plot and when I first started it, I didn't want to put it down. As I did get toward the end, it started moving slow, and I found myself getting annoyed and just wanted the story to be over! The end was not quite what I expected at all, and personally didn't care for it.
Diane S.
Two friends go climbing in Alaska on a little climbed mountain peak, but only one returns. This sets off a chain of events that is unstoppable. This is more of a psychological story, very well written and would have rated it higher but I felt let down a bit by the ending.
Mary
This was disappointing. Most of it was not very well done dialogue in a smallish castle in the English midlands. I didn't even have a very clear picture of what the castle looked like inside.
Mary Lou
Excellent psychological suspense, well-crafted with a few twists that were not contrived. Bannister continues to excel and surprise.
Bill
Interesting story about a mountain climbing fall. Heavy book as it dwells on Alzheimer's which is too close to home for me.
Doreen
Very different and raises many thought provoking questions. I enjoyed but I can see where many will not.
Leslie
Bannister has an intriguing premise, but sadly, neither her plot nor her cardboard characters live up to it.
Al Stoess
Apr 02, 2012 Al Stoess rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of British literature.
Not what I expected. Book was to long. Ending less than satifactory.
Catherine Woodman
Lots of psychological overlay for the genre. Recommended
JoyfulK
A twisty suspense plot with lots of surprises.
Ruth Ann
Some twists and turns....
Kristina
Kristina marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Lb Ritter
Lb Ritter marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
Luci Davin
Luci Davin marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2014
Rena George
Rena George marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
The ending 1 2 Jul 21, 2014 03:06AM
Jo Bannister lives in Northern Ireland, where she worked as a journalist and editor on local newspapers. Since giving up the day job, her books have been shortlisted for a number of awards. Most of her spare time is spent with her horse and dog, or clambering over archaeological sites. She is currently working on a new series of psychological crime/thrillers.
More about Jo Bannister...
Deadly Virtues Echoes of Lies (Brodie Farrell, #1) True Witness (Brodie Farrell, #2) Liars All Flawed (Brodie Farrell, #7)