Tales Before Tolkien: The Roots of Modern Fantasy

Tales Before Tolkien: The Roots of Modern Fantasy

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  530 ratings  ·  35 reviews
Terry Brooks. David Eddings. George R. R. Martin. Robin Hobb. The top names in modern fantasy all acknowledge J. R. R. Tolkien as their role model, the author whose work inspired them to create their own epics. But what writers influenced Tolkien himself? Here, internationally recognized Tolkien expert Douglas A. Anderson has gathered the fiction of authors who sparked Tol...more
Published August 26th 2003 by Del Rey (first published August 1st 2003)

Werner
Nov 06, 2009 Werner rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fantasy fans; fans of 19th-century fiction
May 28, 2009
In all, Anderson has collected 21 stories here, mostly by British authors --though American fantasy is represented, and Ludwig Tieck was of course German. The arrangement of the stories here is chronological, and the editor contributes a brief introduction to the book and short historical/ contextual notes prefacing each story. An appendix gives mini-bio/ bibliographical notes for each contributor, and for a few other genre writers from that era.

Only two of the stories here are ones...more
PurplyCookie
This anthology pulls together 21 short stories and one short play to explore the wide variety of influences on the writer who has long been regarded as the father of modern fantasy. Authors range from the iconic (L. Frank Baum) to the virtually unknown (Clemence Housman). Anderson includes commentary for each piece, highlighting possible connections with Tolkien's work.

"The Elves" by Ludwig Tieck >> A "literary fairy tale" in the German tradition and illustrates the dangers of visiting wit...more
Molly G
The introduction explaining how stories were chosen is excellent in itself, and both satisfying and liberating to Tolkien scholars. (Iliad, Odyssey, and Beowulf are in the first sentence of the second paragraph.) "Liberating" because it does such a good job of expressing purpose of choice, Tolkienites are totally freed from continuing to mull it and so can simply read and enjoy the selected stories regardless of their degree of relation to LotR.

Stories themselves are magnificent. Favorites are p...more
Jared Millet
An interesting collection of mostly 19th Century fairy stories with a few "weird" tales of the era thrown in, but for the most part this anthology is only enjoyable from an academic perspective.

These stories have not aged well. Most are trite, precious, wooden, and overly moralistic. Only a handful are genuinely good ("Black Heart and White Heart" by H. Rider Haggard and "Chu-bu and Sheemish" by Lord Dunsany are the best) but several are completely unreadable.
Micah and Laurie
I really enjoyed this book. It really gave me the perspective that Tolkine had when he was a young writers as myself. I will continue to cherish the old tales even more now. Tokien remains to be one of my admired authors.
Sebina~☆~ClassicMaiden
A great albeit (still) a flawed collection, but I'm giving this four stars because I enjoyed the stories so fully, and because I think it is a much needed book giving a look at pre-Tolkien Fantasy. Even though I have still to read the accompanying book Tales Before Narnia: The Roots of Modern Fantasy and Science Fiction, I have a gut feeling that it would make Tales Before Tolkien: The Roots of Modern Fantasy an even better collection.

As a book looking at a selection of Fantasy short stories wr...more
Hannah
Tolkien is often considered to be the father of modern fantasy, but it's not like he woke up one morning and thought, "I'm going to write this crazy story that takes place in a world that may or may not be our own and features Elves and Dwarves and wizards!" This anthology, compiled by Tolkien scholar Douglas Anderson, is a collection of stories from the 19th and early 20th centuries that either are known to have inspired Tolkien or are representative of the kind of (what we would consider) fant...more
Cleo
I enjoyed many of the stories in this collection, though "The Elves" was not one of them. It was really strange and rather boring. However, many of these stories were really good. The title of this collection is kind of self-explanatory; it purports to include many stories that may have influenced J.R.R. Tolkien. I've had this one on my shelf for a long time, but since I just re(read) The Lord of the Rings trilogy, I figured now would be the time to actually finish it. Many of the stories one ca...more
Strey
Sadly a disappointment. Why?

I saw this as an introduction to Tolkein & his influences. The cover blurb stated "...internationally recognised Tolkein expert Douglas A Andersen....has gathered fiction of...the authors who sparked Tolkein's imagination."

Great you might think & the chronological delivery of stories, each with an introduction by the 'internationally recognised' Andersen, the right way to go. However, a great number of these introductions stated that actually the represented a...more
Shauna
Jul 14, 2010 Shauna rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Tolkien fans, people interested in the history of fantasy literature
Although the cover says, "Classic stories that inspired the author of The Lord of the Rings." In fact, though, only some of the stories in this anthology are known for sure to have influenced Tolkien. The rest are stories by authors Tolkien liked or that were popular during Tolkien's life.

Still, I understand much better the foundation Tolkien stood on, so I consider reading the book worthwhile for that alone.

I would not recommend this book for pleasure reading. There are some good stories, parti...more
John
Jul 02, 2007 John rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Tolkien fans, early fantasy fans
The cover claims these are "classic stories that inspired
the author of The Lord of the Rings." All the stories are by
fantasy writers who were born at least 5 years before Tolkien and published fantasy before 1937. Some of these
writers were real influences on Tolkien --George MacDonald,
William Morris, H. Rider Haggard, E. Wyke-Smith, David Lindsay. Others such as A. Merritt and Austin Tappan Wright
had no proven influence on Tolien, though they were good fantasy writers of the period. Some of the...more
L.
Tales Before Tolkien is a nice collection of fantasy tales dating from the period just before Tolkien's birth to just before he began publishing his own works. Some of the stories, like Puss-cat Mew, Tolkien actually acknowledged having read and enjoyed as a youth. Others are not actually mentioned by Tolkien but possibly had an influence on him, while still others were probably not read by him but are indicative of the state of fantasy at the time he was active. None of these stories really mea...more
Carl
Oct 20, 2009 Carl is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasysci-fi
Finally found a cheap copy of this-- they've started offering it in a smaller size. Looks fun so far, just a collection of pre-Tolkien fantasy which may or may not have influenced him-- with some it is clear he had at least read the authors, with others it's speculation, but in any case it seems very nice as a reader of early fantasy (as in, from the Romantic era with one German tale right up until the first half of the 20th century). Have only read the first so far, Ludwig Tieck's "The Elves" (...more
Al
A collection of fairy tales and fantasies from the late 1800s and early 1900s, some of which Tolkien is known to have read and admired, and others which the compiler of this anthology believes (based on some likeness to aspects of Tolkien's work) Tolkien might have read and been influenced by. For the most part, the connections are thin or could be accounted for by coincidence, although in the cases where Tolkien is on record as having read and admired the work, the connection is more credible....more
Sara
Fascinating collection of fairy stories and other fantasy tales by authors that J.R.R. Tolkien may have read or certainly read, as evidenced by his letters and papers. Douglas Anderson (of The Annotated Hobbit) collected and introduces these 21 stories or parts of stories.

Authors include George MacDonald, Andrew Lang, William Morris, Rider Haggard, E. Nesbit, L. Frank Baum, Lord Dunsany, E.A. Wyke-Smith (chapter of The Marvellous Land of the Snergs), and others. Quite a range of tastes and styl...more
Amanda
17. The Elf Trap ****
18. The Thin Queen of Elfhame *
19. T...more
Lora
A good collection which gave me some insight into not only how Tolkien was influenced...but how we all are.
Renamski
I really enjoyed this book. This book is filled with several short stories, fairy tales, legends, and other tales of wonder, that predate Tolkien's The Lord of The Rings and The Hobbit. It is a delightful selection of stories.

Each story is accompanied by a description of where it is evidenced that it influenced Tolkien's writing.
Mark Myers
A collection of short stories that came before Tolkien, some directly influenced him, some were contemporary with Tolkien but had influence. They flow from fairy tales to full-scale fantasy. All in all a good collection of early fantasy.
Marissa
This is a collection of stories that predate Tolkien. Some he read, others he may or may not have read. Anderson clearly explains the inclusion of each story and suggests what the influence on Tolkien could have been. If you enjoy fantasy, this is an interesting look at its history!
Sue Ellen
Most of these tales are great fun, but you have to be in the mood for traditional tales from "Faerie" and read them as much for the references they might contain to other texts you know and love as for the entertainment they themselves provide.
Erin Webber
A wide variety of fantasy short stories written in the decades before Tolkien began writing his own fantasy literature. I especially enjoyed the lighthearted tales "Puss-Cat Mew" and "The Dragon Tamers," as well as the more haunting "The Elf Trap."
Susan Hayes-mcqueen
I loved this book. It really had some very classic, bare to the bones fantasy stories. Good stories, variety of authors and flavors, plus nice introductions for each one. If you like fantasy at all, this is a great read.
Jayalalita devi dasi
I learnt that dragons are covered in soft fur underneath their hard scales, and too much bread and milk has caused the species to evolve into cats. Most enlightening. Also, some cats are fairies. Keep this in mind.
Miriam
Like all anthologies there were some stories that were stronger than the others, but overall it gives a good picture of the state of fantasy writing in the early 1900s.
Alec
An interesting collection of stories, some more interesting than others. In many cases the author has no idea of Tolkien had ever really read them.
Katrina
A good mix of fairy stories as well as psychological mystery and even horror. There's something for everyone, even the non-Tolkien fan.
Megan Getrum
omg finally finished this. There is a reason you have not heard of most of these authors. Most of the stories are a slog.
Sarah Lynch
I really enjoyed seeing works that may have inspired Tolkien, who has done so much for Modern Fantasy.
Abigail
Some of the stories were better than others, but all in all it is a good collection.
  • Masterpieces of Fantasy and Wonder
  • Splintered Light: Logos and Language in Tolkien's World
  • Master of Middle-Earth: The Fiction of J.R.R. Tolkien
  • Tolkien and the Great War: The Threshold of Middle-earth
  • A Gateway to Sindarin: A Grammar of an Elvish Language from JRR Tolkien's Lord of the Rings
  • Understanding The Lord of the Rings: The Best of Tolkien Criticism
  • The Wood Beyond the World
  • The Lord of the Rings: A Reader's Companion
  • After the King: Stories In Honor of J.R.R. Tolkien
  • Wonder Tales: The Book of Wonder and Tales of Wonder
  • Tolkien's Ordinary Virtues : Exploring the Spiritual Themes of the Lord of the Rings
  • Tolkien's Ring
  • The Complete Tolkien Companion
Douglas Allen Anderson (born 1959) is an author and editor on the subjects of fantasy and medieval literature, specializing in textual analysis of the works of J. R. R. Tolkien.

His first published book was The Annotated Hobbit (1988), which grew out of a study of the revisions made by Tolkien. The Annotated Hobbit won the Mythopoeic Award for scholarship.

Anderson has also edited modern editions o...more
More about Douglas A. Anderson...
H.P. Lovecraft's Favorite Weird Tales: The Roots of Modern Horror Tales Before Narnia: The Roots of Modern Fantasy and Science Fiction Tolkien Studies V Seekers of Dreams: Masterpieces of Fantasy Tolkien Studies, V.4