Start by marking “The Times of Their Lives: Life, Love, and Death in the Plymouth Colony” as Want to Read:
The Times of Their Lives: Life, Love, and Death in the Plymouth Colony

The Times of Their Lives: Life, Love, and Death in the Plymouth Colony

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  89 ratings  ·  11 reviews
This title sets out to debunk the longstanding ideas about the life of the Pilgrims who settled at Plymouth Colony. The authors describe the arrival of the English settlers, the early years of the settlement, and the myths which have developed since.
Published September 15th 2000 by W.H. Freeman & Company (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Times of Their Lives, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Times of Their Lives

Particle_Person
James Deetz was one of the founders of the field of historical archaeology and was one of the people who helped set up Plymouth Plantation. This book describes the history of Plymouth Colony from the Mayflower's landing to the 1690s with an emphasis on everyday life rather than the big historical events. It is a very idiosyncratic book, mostly by James I think, but completed by his wife Patricia. The text is entirely in the third person, which sounds ridiculous when James is talking about himsel ...more
dejah_thoris
Thorough and well-researched but a bit dry at times. I really enjoyed the chapters on social history and crime within the colony but found those on archeology and the founding of Plimouth Plantation less than enthralling. Yes, this book does a fine job of debunking the Puritan myth both by contrasting the reality with the myth and also contrasting the different settlements against one another (Plymouth, Massachusetts Bay, and Chesapeake Bay) where applicable. But my biggest problem was the forma ...more
Bryan
First, it's important to state that this book is well-written and appears to succeed at every goal the authors had. Second, I'm glad I read it.

Those statements aside, though, it is a very dry read and at times cumbersome. For me, it lacks the page-turning effectiveness I greatly enjoy in other works that conjure history. Having descended from one of the very people being described throughout (and specifically, at one brief point, much to my thrill), I am certainly in the camp of "willing to figh
Tami
I really enjoyed this up until the section about the housing. At that point, the authors lost me... Not having a background in architecture, I think the general reader would have benefited from additional sketches to supplement the detailed written description of the building types.
Shirley Brown
This wasn't quite what I thought it was going to be, but nonetheless I found it interesting because of my connection to the Plymouth Colony through John Alden, Priscilla Mullens, her parents, Edward Doty and George Soule who were all passengers on the Mayflower. The archaeological digs were most interesting and the court transcripts wills, probate listings were informative. Over-all the book was a little slow, but I would recommend it to any one who is interested in the "Pilgrims".
Kathy
The second half of this book, about the archaeology of Plymouth, is the more engaging. Deetz is more interested in the archaeology as well--the writing becomes more energetic and fluid, his off-hand remarks funnier. This presupposes that you're interested in what sorts of houses the 'pilgrims' built, what spoons and dishes they used, what they drank out of and wore. If you're interested in the history of these early settlers, Philbrick's Mayflower is better.
Natalia
I found the first few chapters interesting when the authors discussed the travel to and first landings on the new land, but then the authors jumped ahead to the late 1600's after the colony is well established. I am more interested in the early years of the plymouth colony.
Darrell Johns
This book presented a much warmer and more human picture of the Pilgrims. It also gives a clear, detailed picture of their day to day lives. Extremely engaging narrative from an Anthropological perspective.
Rebecca
Jul 11, 2007 Rebecca rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who are sick of the Jamestown rahrah.
This book is quite interesting. It is about the settlers who came over from England and landed at Plymouth, MA. I haven't finished the book yet, so I will complete my review later.
Scott Ford
The purpose is to debunk "numerous myths that surround the landing of the Mayflower and the first Thanksgiving." Pilgrims were human... go figure!
Carolyn
Wonderfully researched! Made the lives of so many earlier Plymouth settlers seem less like myths and more like humans.
Cait
Cait added it
Jul 04, 2015
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2015
Jéssica Danielle
Jéssica Danielle is currently reading it
Jun 28, 2015
Jen
Jen is currently reading it
Jun 28, 2015
Celia
Celia marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2015
Hippiemouse420
Hippiemouse420 marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2015
Matt Peckham
Matt Peckham marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2015
Justina Spencer
Justina Spencer marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2015
Deb Lavelle
Deb Lavelle is currently reading it
Jun 11, 2015
Jeremy
Jeremy marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2015
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
May 28, 2015
Jennifer Hammond
Jennifer Hammond marked it as to-read
May 27, 2015
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
May 26, 2015
K.O.
K.O. marked it as to-read
May 24, 2015
Jenny
Jenny marked it as to-read
May 21, 2015
Tasha
Tasha marked it as to-read
May 17, 2015
Anita
Anita is currently reading it
May 13, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Salem Witch Trials: A Day-By-Day Chronicle of a Community Under Siege
  • The Salem Witch Trials Reader
  • The Reshaping of Everyday Life 1790-1840
  • Everyday Life in Early America (The Everyday Life in America series)
  • Good Wives: Image and Reality in the Lives of Women in Northern New England, 1650-1750
  • Big Chief Elizabeth: The Adventures and Fate of the First English Colonists in America
  • Victorian America: Transformations in Everyday Life, 1876-1915
  • Salem Witch Judge: The Life and Repentance of Samuel Sewall
  • A Little Commonwealth: Family Life in Plymouth Colony
  • Judge Sewall's Apology: The Salem Witch Trials and the Forming of an American Conscience
  • The Jamestown Project
  • The Shoemaker and the Tea Party: Memory and the American Revolution
  • Locust: The Devastating Rise and Mysterious Disappearance of the Insect that Shaped the American Frontier
  • First Generations: Women in Colonial America
  • The Devil in the Shape of a Woman: Witchcraft in Colonial New England
  • Of Plymouth Plantation, 1620-1647
  • King Philip's War: The History and Legacy of America's Forgotten Conflict
  • Pioneer Women: The Lives of Women on the Frontier
In Small Things Forgotten: An Archaeology of Early American Life Flowerdew Hundred Flowerdew Hundred: The Archaeology of a Virginia Plantation, 1619-1864 the Archaeology of a Virginia Plantation, 1619-1864 Invitation to Archaeology The Art And Mystery Of Historical Archaeology: Essays In Honor Of James Deetz Flowerdew Hundred: The Archaeology of a Virginia Plantation, 1619-1864