Start by marking “The Snow Goose and The Small Miracle” as Want to Read:
The Snow Goose and The Small Miracle

The Snow Goose and The Small Miracle

4.15  ·  Rating Details  ·  253 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
Published 1967 by Penguin (first published 1951)

To ask other readers questions about The Snow Goose and The Small Miracle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Snow Goose and The Small Miracle

Michele Brenton
Apr 25, 2012 Michele Brenton rated it it was amazing
I read this first when I was a teenager. When I met my husband many years later I firmly believe this book had a role in me falling in love with him. So I will always be grateful for that. These days when superficial perfection is so much in the forefront of the modern media - this book should be compulsory reading for everyone. It is wise, beautifully written and Frith's emotions are so well observed it was a wonder to me as a teen that it could have been written by a man as I recognised so muc ...more
Richard Beasley
Mar 30, 2014 Richard Beasley rated it it was amazing
At my prep school, which despite being C of E, we had St Francis as a patron. So st Francis day was school holiday. The night before the headmaster would read The Small Miracle to a group. I think I heard it three times.
Loved the story (very sentimental), and also an introduction to one of my absolute favourite, and totally underrated authors. Read anything you can by him.
Beccy
Aug 17, 2011 Beccy rated it it was amazing
The Small Miracle is an utterly beguiling short story in this collection of two written by Paul Gallico.
It tells the tale of a small orphan boy called Pepino who lives in the town of Assisi and his quest to save his only love and companion, his Donkey, Violetta, from dying. Gallico's imagery is wonderful; magically creating the sounds and smells and vistas of Italy. His approach to depicting Pepino's charmingly naive, yet resolute manner of making the system work for him, is wonderfuly empowerin
Gijs Grob
The Snow Goose **
Korte novelle over hoe een verdwaalde sneeuwgans een misvormde, eenzame schilder en een mooi, jong en ietwat simpel meisje samenbrengt. De roman ademt de streek waarin het speelt uit (ergens bij Essex, Groot-Brittannië) en is niet zozeer boeiend verteld, alswel gedrenkt in natuur en een gevoel van verlies. (view spoiler)
Annet
Jul 29, 2012 Annet rated it really liked it
Shelves: classics
This is a little gem. The most known I guess is The snow goose, but to be honest, I was much more enchanted by The small miracle. It's about a small orphan boy in Assisi whose compagnon and friend is a donkey, together they earn their keep. When the donkey turns ill, the boy wants to take the animal into the crypt of Saint Francis of Assisi to pray for the donkey to recover, the only remedy he truly trusts... After initial refusals by the church responsibles, he travels to Rome to try and speak ...more
Frank
Dec 21, 2013 Frank rated it it was amazing
The Snow Goose is a beautifully-written story about a young girl and a hunchback's attempts to save the life of an injured snow goose during The Second World War and the hunchback's heroic contribution to the British efforts to rescue their beseiged soldiers at Dunkirk, using a voluntary civilian flotilla of assorted marine vessels, including merchant ships,leisure craft and fishing boats. The hunchback contributed by ferrying many soldiers from the beachhead to larger rescue vessels further out ...more
Abigail
Jun 27, 2016 Abigail rated it it was amazing
Some of the most beautiful themes and writing I've ever read in children's literature. Breathtaking, haunting, bittersweet, glowing, hopeful.
Aldéric Au
Dec 22, 2015 Aldéric Au rated it it was amazing
A rare and beautiful book. An absolute delight to read.
Terry Mac
Jul 16, 2015 Terry Mac rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lovely
One of the most beautiful books you'll ever read
Connor FitzGerald
Apr 29, 2016 Connor FitzGerald rated it really liked it
Good old-fashioned story telling.
Grace-Elisa
Jan 14, 2016 Grace-Elisa rated it it was amazing
Read and re-read
Iva
Aug 24, 2011 Iva rated it really liked it
Two little gems not quite novellas, but illustrated short stories. The Snow Goose is a mite too sophisticated for a young reader, but The Small Miracle is a lovely story for all ages. Gallico charms the reader with beautifully drawn characters and settings. These stories feel like classics; to reveal anything of the plot or setting would give away too much. One of those books that calls out to re-read.
Rhys
Jan 02, 2016 Rhys rated it it was ok
These two stories are often printed together. They are both charming and uplifting, though very slight. This is the second time I have read them and I think I enjoyed them even more this time. Curiously the original reason why I sought out and read The Snow Goose was because of the album by 1970s prog rock band Camel that was inspired by the story.
Lyall Dawson
Apr 20, 2013 Lyall Dawson rated it it was amazing
This is one of two books that can bring me to tears, the other, also By Paul Gallico, is Jennie.
The Snow Goose is written with an economy of words that tells you all you need to know about the three characters; Fritha, Philip and the Lost Princess. It tells of love and loss of trust and faith.

Everybody should read this book.
Marilyn Mansfield
Jun 05, 2013 Marilyn Mansfield rated it it was amazing
Paul Gallico is one of my favorite writers and these two short stories are his best known. The Snow Goose is about Dunkirk and fulfilling life's purpose and growing up and appreciating life. The Small Miracle is about faith and perseverance and innocence. They are both short and sweet and left me wistful.
Frida
Apr 01, 2013 Frida rated it really liked it
The Snow Goose was a bit of an odd bit of a story, but at the same time very pretty and nice, and a bit sad too. Only thing was that it was really hard to read some of the dialogue parts thanks to the dialect.

The Small Miracle was just wonderfully cute, a tad bit sad but very much indeed a nice read!
Chantal
Rereading these beautiful stories thirty something years later and I was as moved and tearful as I was way back then. The epitome of how remarkable language and a short story can be. Gallico's visual imagery is remarkable, emotional and incredibly, stunningly, beautiful!
Susan Armstrong
Jun 30, 2016 Susan Armstrong rated it it was ok
Love the person who recommended I read this, loved the title, was looking forward to it but unfortunately this wasn't my cup of tea. Might have been my mood I don't know but I found it too sad. A pain-filled story of love and war.
Jossalyn
Dec 16, 2012 Jossalyn rated it it was amazing
loved these delightful little stories forever; was motivated by the Snow Goose to write many short stories with lonely lighthouses in them as a kid.
lovely drawings by Anne Linton
Kate
Jun 13, 2013 Kate rated it really liked it
Shelves: classics
Not the sort of book I would ever normally read, but was given to me by someone in one of my book groups so I thought I ought to. A charming couple of very short stories.
S B
Jul 08, 2007 S B rated it it was amazing
One of my all time favourites, read when I was in college, re-read subsequently and probably shall do again.
Peta
Oct 22, 2008 Peta rated it it was amazing
This story breaks my heart, I just love the sentiment and the imagery.
Marleen
Oct 26, 2009 Marleen rated it it was amazing
Charming, warm, thought provoking and wonderful.
Two short stories to savour.
Gill Mazonas
Sep 25, 2013 Gill Mazonas rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Gill by: Saw
I love this story - have read many times and always cry at the end.
Neal
Sep 05, 2013 Neal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mylibrary
Wonderfully written. The Snow Goose left me in tears.
Silas
Jul 23, 2012 Silas rated it it was amazing
Very good and sad. Rhayader was very brave.
Dick family
Dick family rated it it was amazing
Jul 20, 2016
Cat C.
Cat C. marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2016
Scary
Scary added it
Jul 13, 2016
  • In Flanders Fields
  • The Ark
  • And Then It Happened: Book Seven
  • The Curse of the Bronze Lamp (Sir Henry Merrivale, #16)
  • Libertad
  • North Star of Herschel Island - The Last Canadian Arctic Fur Trading Ship.
  • The Ship's Cat
  • Margaret and the Moth Tree
  • International Velvet
  • Black Jack
  • End of Term (The Marlows, #4)
  • Science in Seconds
  • Every Day On Earth: Fun Facts That Happen Every 24 Hours
  • Below Suspicion (Dr. Gideon Fell, #18, Patrick Butler, #1)
  • Into the Woods, Adapted and Illustrated by Hudson Talbott
  • Small Dreams Of A Scorpion: Poems
  • Time at the Top
  • Jason Lizzy and the Snowman Village
92064
Paul William Gallico was born in New York City, on 26th July, 1897. His father was an Italian, and his mother came from Austria; they emigrated to New York in 1895.

He went to school in the public schools of New York, and in 1916 went to Columbia University. He graduated in 1921 with a Bachelor of Science degree, having lost a year and a half due to World War I. He then worked for the National Boar
More about Paul Gallico...