Start by marking “The Courtship of Two Doctors: A 1930s Love Story of Letters, Hope & Healing” as Want to Read:
The Courtship of Two Doctors: A 1930s Love Story of Letters, Hope & Healing

The Courtship of Two Doctors: A 1930s Love Story of Letters, Hope & Healing

From a private collection of nearly 800 courtship letters, the daughter of two remarkable physicians has crafted a timeless valentine to long-lasting love and the healing profession. Senior medical students from New Orleans and Omaha meet in 1937 and begin a two-year correspondence across 1,100 miles. They set their sights on a return to Mayo Clinic, the medical mecca wher ...more
Published 2012 by Little Dove Press

To ask other readers questions about The Courtship of Two Doctors, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Courtship of Two Doctors

Amanda
Aug 05, 2012 Amanda rated it really liked it
The Courtship of Two Doctors is a book of selected letters from the late 1930s. Dr. Alice Baker and Dr. Joe Holoubek met during a summer Fellowship at the Mayo Clinic in 1937 and spent the next two years writing letters and making the rare phone call and visit until they could begin their life together in 1939. I read the entire Preface with tears in my eyes as Martha Holoubek Fitzgerald writes about her parents.

I love books like this because they are rich in history. I'm sure a medial professio
Julie Schoerke
May 22, 2012 Julie Schoerke rated it it was amazing
Charming story told through letters of two physicians who fall in love and make the world a better place in a different time. Edited by their daughter, this compilation of love notes between a Louisiana couple is full of heart.
Joey Barron
Mar 25, 2017 Joey Barron rated it it was amazing
The written romance of Joe and Alice is a beautiful trip down the rabbit hole of love. Nobody falls in love like this anymore. Most of the females I've even been romantically interested in have been more concerned with cell phones and social media profiles. These two lovebirds found the time to regularly write while becoming doctors AND talk about football! The first time they talk on the phone was heartwarming.

These were my favorite excerpts (mostly from Alice):

* "What a grand thing the telepho
Judy Weston
Sep 17, 2012 Judy Weston rated it it was amazing
I loved the book! Reading the letters, took me into the personal lives of Joe and Alice. Discovering the struggles of a long distance relationship as well as the discovering of the faith that brought them together. As a Catholic and romantic I loved the book.
Marissa DeCuir
May 22, 2012 Marissa DeCuir rated it it was amazing
Not that you have to be from Louisiana to enjoy this, but I am, so it made it that much more special! What a great book. I'm also a newlywed and it was nice to see such a sweet couple growing together!
Maimoona Rahman
Aug 03, 2012 Maimoona Rahman rated it liked it
Set in the late 1930s, The Courtship of Two Doctors-A 1930s Love Story of Letters, Hope & Healing chronicles the romance between Alice Baker and Joe Holoubek, senior medical students, who meet on a summer fellowship at Mayo Clinic and decide to keep in touch through letters. That this book is a from a private collection of 800 courtship letters (which really must mean love letters, but perhaps not as cheesy as filmy, badarse ones) piqued my interest. Plus, I have a knack for going through pe ...more
Darin
Aug 29, 2012 Darin rated it really liked it
Author Martha Holoubek Fitzgerald gives a terrific view into the life of two young medical students studying to become doctors. She shares how they met, how their gaze into each others eyes caused a spark that soon developed into a flame. They were soon separated because of medical school but through letters and limited communication they continued to court and share with one another causing their love to grow ever deeper each passing day.
Their letters shared what was going on during their week
Rose
Jul 18, 2012 Rose rated it really liked it
The title, The Courtship of Two Doctors -A 1930s Love Story of Letters, Hope & Healing by Martha Holoubek Fitzgerald, says it all. This is the story of the 2 year courtship of two young medical students who fell in love via mail - that's right, snail mail! The tenderness, the joy and the hope of these two especially against the background of widespread and potentially fatal TB at home and Hitler's marauding in Europe makes it a love story to be cherished.

Martha Holoubek Fitzgerald, daughter
Cindy
Jan 26, 2013 Cindy rated it it was ok
I was intrigued when I started reading this book. I thought is would be interesting to read about a love story, based on the letters of two doctors while going through medical schools at 2 different locations across the U.S. that kept them miles apart. But, I'm sorry to say, that it became boring to read. There are about 800 letters, written sometimes 2 or 3 a week, back and forth from the 2 doctors over a 2 year period of time. Much of it was repetitive; daily reports of what happened that day, ...more
Rebecca Berinstein
Dec 26, 2012 Rebecca Berinstein rated it liked it
Shelves: american-history
I understand reading a collection of letters is not for everyone, but my inner primary source history geekiness often emerges when I find an interesting letter collection or diary. Drs Joe and Alice were impressive in their continuous correspondence through the mail. The pair truly fell in love through the mail, which is incredibly romantic especially when many are lucky to get a texted sentence out of their significant other. I especially enjoyed sections of the letters in which car troubles we ...more
Mimiprice
Jan 30, 2013 Mimiprice rated it liked it
The book dragged at times, but the romance between the two that blossomed through their letters was so sweet. It also gave great insight to the medical profession during the 1930s, the political climate pre-WWII, and the power of a hand written letter.
Lillie
This beautiful love story told in letters made me want to go back and read the love letters my husband and I wrote each other during our courtship. I enjoyed reading about the things medical interns did for entertainment.
Honey
Feb 27, 2013 Honey rated it really liked it
This was a sweet story of a couple of doctors who fell in love in the late 30's. It is their letters back and forth to each other as they are seperated by their interships. It was sprinkled with fun cultural references of that day, medical info and their faith. Really good.
Jane
Jan 30, 2013 Jane rated it really liked it
What an interesting and beautiful love story.
Kim Meyers
Kim Meyers rated it it was ok
Jul 23, 2012
Celly Morris
Celly Morris rated it really liked it
Aug 20, 2013
Robert
Robert rated it liked it
Oct 13, 2013
Lisa
Lisa rated it it was amazing
Dec 08, 2012
Ashley Davidson
Ashley Davidson rated it it was ok
Oct 18, 2012
Gabby-Lily Raines
Gabby-Lily Raines rated it it was amazing
Aug 07, 2012
Judy Anderson
Judy Anderson rated it really liked it
Feb 14, 2014
Pauline Kosalka
Pauline Kosalka rated it it was amazing
Jan 01, 2015
Kelly
Kelly rated it liked it
Jul 08, 2013
Townfeani Abbeyluku
Townfeani Abbeyluku rated it liked it
Feb 27, 2013
Lindsey
Lindsey rated it liked it
Nov 30, 2014
Carol
Carol rated it really liked it
May 26, 2015
Susan
Susan rated it really liked it
Oct 09, 2012
Meghann
Meghann rated it it was amazing
Jun 30, 2012
Pyang
Pyang rated it it was amazing
Jan 18, 2016
Amanda Beaty
Amanda Beaty rated it really liked it
Oct 11, 2015
Martha Holoubek Fitzgerald, an award-winning journalist of 27 years, served the Shreveport Times as columnist and associate editorial page editor. Now an independent editor, writer and publisher, the Louisiana native earned a B.A. in history and American studies from Loyola University-New Orleans and a master’s in history from Louisiana Tech University.

She’s the youngest child of the late Drs. Al
More about Martha Holoubek Fitzgerald...

“I've been reading your thesis over again. And again I just truly wonder at your brilliance. Honestly dear, it shows many, many house of hard work, but even more it shows intelligent correlations, new research, and conclusions. I'm enjoying it so much. (Alice to Joe)” 0 likes
“I've been reading your thesis over again. And again I just truly wonder at your brilliance. Honestly dear, it shows many, many hours of hard work, but even more it shows intelligent correlations, new research, and conclusions. I'm enjoying it so much. (Alice to Joe)” 0 likes