Start by marking “Arsène Lupin versus Herlock Sholmes (Arsène Lupin, #2)” as Want to Read:
Arsène Lupin versus Herlock Sholmes (Arsène Lupin, #2)
read book* *Different edition

Arsène Lupin versus Herlock Sholmes (Arsène Lupin #2)

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  865 ratings  ·  56 reviews
LeBlanc's creation, gentleman thief Arsene Lupin, is everything you would expect from a French aristocrat - witty, charming, brilliant, sly ...and possibly the greatest thief in the world. In this classic tale, Lupin comes up against the only man who may be able to stop him ...no less than the great British gentleman-detective Herlock Sholmes! Who will emerge triumphant?
Published October 10th 2001 by Wildside Press (first published February 10th 1908)

To ask other readers questions about Arsène Lupin versus Herlock Sholmes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Arsène Lupin versus Herlock Sholmes

Mike
Mar 15, 2014 Mike rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone

The review from afar – No. 2

Foreword to these overseas reviews:
Being committed to a month-long work trip to Malaysia, I decided to forego bring a handful of paperbacks and carry my as-yet-unused, gifted Kindle 3G instead. In preparation of said trip, I visited the Project Gutenberg site and loaded up some old, but enticing titles. (No, not bodice rippers, sorry guys.) So, for the first time I am reviewing books deployed on 21st century technology rather than that of the 15th (earlier, if you cre
Lau
I received a copy of this via NetGalley, for an honest review.

My expectations for this book were incredibly high. I loved the first book, especially the last bit where Herlock and Lupin met, and I was really looking forward to this one.

Unfortunately, I wasn’t blown away by it as I thought I would be. The first story wasn’t very entertaining to me. Herlock and Lupin’s interactions were amazing and I absolutely loved how cheeky Lupin was. That being said, I found the actual crime not interesting a
Utami
Yang saya baca edisi terjemahan oleh penerbit Bukune. Sampul bukunya cukup menarik, meskipun tampil dalam warna yang cukup gelap. Tapi justru menampilkan kesan misterius, seperti isi buku ini.

Singkatnya, buku ini bercerita tentang Arsene Lupin, seorang pencuri cerdik asal Prancis. Kasus pencurian yang dilakukan oleh Lupin terlalu licin untuk dapat ditangani oleh kepolisian Prancis. Oleh karena itu, muncullah Holmlock Shears, seorang detektif terkenal dari Inggris yang ditemani Wilson, asisten se
Elly Kurniawati
Entah saya yang sudah jadi sedikit degradasi otak atau buku ini memang susah dipahami. Buat saya, buku ini (walaupun saya mengerti jalan ceritanya) sulit untuk diikuti. Saya bahkan merasa tidak bisa menemukan perasaan seru membaca cerita detektif sebelum sampai halaman 200. Diksi di novel terjemahan ini sulit dipahami juga. Sherlock Holmes sebagai detektif keren yang lebih dulu saya kenal sangat "out of character" sehingga saya merasa walaupun novel ini novel "battle" tapi terlalu merendahkan ke ...more
Phil
One of the greatest unexpected joys of owning a Kindle, is my very late introduction to pulp literature. It's something I've usually avoided through my reading life - literature is edifying, if I'm going to buy a book, it should take me more than 2 days to read, writing should aspire to art and not just thrills.

This has led me to shelves full of "literature" and very good it's all been too, but being able to access public domain material for free has suddenly shown me the guilty pleasures of Vi
cindy
On the first series, I thought I wanted a longer stories. Well, I got them in this second installment. But somehow I felt some disapointment. It's not as bang bang as I'd imajined. Sholmes/Shears/whatever was not as sharp and wit as it should be, Wilson was needy and uninteligent, and even Lupin was not as smart and playful as he promised. Ganimard...uh... yeah, better not started talking about that guy.

The Blue Diamond was mediocre. Ruined my imajination by leaving a death body in the process.
This Is Not The Michael You're Looking For
These stories do not have the cleverness of the earlier Arsène Lupin stories. Instead, they are more focused on an over-the-top caricature of Sherlock Holmes, who is perpetually embarrassed and beaten by Lupin at every turn. I don't mind Holmes losing, but I don't think the rendition of Holmes that LeBlanc has made is a very good foil for his own character. A rendition which was closer to Conan Doyle's would probably have led to a better story, even with the same end results.

Of course, Arthur Co
Septian Dhaniar Dhaniar
Kita semua tahu siapa itu Arsene Wenger, tapi adakah yang mengenal Arsene Lupin? Marilah kita berkenalan dengan sang pencuri cerdik nan licin dari Prancis ini lewat novelnya yang sebenarnya berisi dua episode kisah petualangan yaitu sang wanita berambut pirang dan lampu Yahudi. Dua episode menjadi satu? Belum-belum saya sudah kecewa dulu karena itu berarti 312 halaman buku terbagi jadi dua kisah yang tidak berhubungan, tapi kekecewaan saya langsung terobati begitu membaca halaman pertama dengan ...more
Bludhaven
This isn't the cleverest Lupin novel I've read. The first mystery isn't to mysterious and the second case is a bit dull, too.

Bringing in Sherlock Holmes in the barely disguised form of Herlock Sholmes isn't a bad idea per se. At the time Conany Doyles detective was the standard other mystery literature had to live up, too, and which better way to make your gentleman burglar look better than to defeat the greatest detective known to a readership.

I enjoyed some of the banter between "Holmes" and L
GONZA
Si no fuera porque Herlock Sholmes francesa definitivamente no es creíble, las dos historias aquí en este libro no son malos, te hacen reír y hasta olvidar que tiene más de cien años.

Se non fosse che Herlock Sholmes francese é decisamente poco credibile, i due racconti qui nel libro non sono niente male, fanno ridere e anche dimenticare che hanno piú di cento anni.

THANKS TO NETGALLEY AND OPEN ROAD INTEGRATED MEDIA FOR THE PREVIEW!
Tiffany
I enjoyed reading this book as much as I enjoyed reading the other Arsene Lupin book. The thing that this one has that the other didn't is that this is more of a cohesive unit: while each chapter still feels like its own short story (for the most part), put together, they make an overarching story. Still, it's just as fun as the short stories are. I love how smart Lupin is, and how he can outsmart even the brilliant detective, Herlock Sholmes.

Reading this has actually made me want to go back and
Luqman Kuchiki
Pertarungan antara detektif putih dan detektif hitam yang berlatar di Prancis. Sherlock Holmes di undang oleh pihak yang kecolongan dari Prancis untuk mengungkap kasus-kasus yang dilakukan oleh Lupin.

Lantas, siapakah pemenang dari kisah ungkap-tangkap ala detektif tersebut?

silahkan dicari tau lebih lanjut dengan mulai membaca kisah dari novel ini!
Edward Smith
A wonderful read, and a fine example of Victorian mystery novels. We finally see the great English detective (called Herlock Sholmes due to Sir Doyle's lack of support for a crossover) and his Gallic counterpart clash in a battle of wits. Although I wouldn't recommend it as an introduction to Leblanc's work, as it was for me.

Like Doyle, Lupin is not predominantly featured in the novels, the reader is only exposed to his workings as he hides in the background (although we do see him in the end u
Despicable Me
Lupin was good but Holmes was made to look like almost an idiot. I'm a Holmes fan too, so my judgement will hardly be fair; still, I would say, Watson was somewhat like a cute doll with the senses of a puppet, and Holmes was a lot duller and slower. Only Lupin's respect and alarm gave any suggestion that he was the legend from Baker Street.
Of course, I meant "Sholmes" here who, legally, is not supposed to have any connection to Conan Doyle!

Actually, I have quite a high opinion about Lupin. I, pe
Marsha Altman
I have to note that not only did I read this book in translation, but I also read it in a cheap Kindle edition that had a ton of typos so that really hurt my ability to appreciate the novel. It's not very faithful to Sherlock Holmes (or "Herlock Sholmes" as he's referred to in the book because of legal issues between Doyle and LeBlanc in 1905), who does solve the two mysteries, but really only because Arsene Lupin is a gentleman who kinda gives the treasures back. Lupin comes off looking much be ...more
Dicta VIP
Buku keren.... Saya bisa membayangkan kota Paris yang damai menjadi rusuh karna adanya Lupin si Pencuri.... selain kehebatan Lupin, ada Homelock Shere (yang menurut saya mungkin lebih nyaman di lidah menyebutnya Sherelock Holme)yang sangat pintar menangiani kasus.... Kita juga di buat penasaran dengan identitas "Wanita Pirang" yang ternyata kekasih Lupin sekaligus anak buahnya... wanita yang sama, yang juga membunuh seorang Baron saat baron tersebut mencoba untuk memperkosanya....^^ buku yang ke ...more
Caroline
Overall I think that I liked this book. I thought that the characters were kind of cheesy and unoriginal, though. I mean, Homelock Shears and his trusty sidekick Wilson. Remind you of anyone? Otherwise I liked the crafty Arsene Lupin and the blonde lady. There were so many small mysteries it was a bit difficult to sort out the facts, and it wasnt really a whodunnit mystery, because we knew every time that it was Arsene Lupin. I tend to like the whodunnit type better, because this was just the bu ...more
France-Andrée
Je pense que le titre annonce déjà une parodie de Sherlock Holmes. Je n'ai pas un problème avec les différentes parodies qui existent, mais comme personnage Arsène Lupin est beaucoup plus intéressant que Herlock Sholmès et, bien sûr, Arsène est l'original et pas une copie palôte. J'ai trouvé qu'Arsène n'est pas assez souvent dans le livre, il apparaît seulement comme un personnage secondaire et je trouve cela dommage... L'ingéniosité d'Arsène est là, mais en trop petite dose. Cela dit, je n'ai p ...more
Farrahnanda Farrahnanda
I actually read an Indonesia version. But I'm too lazy to find that version. So, here I rated this book :)
Iasa
This is a lighthearted, easy read that never takes itself seriously. Perfect for a quick afternoon read.
Sienna
Capital!
I had a lot of fun reading this book. Arsene Lupin never ceases to amaze and entertain me.
The "Homlock Shears" may not be as similar as the canon Sherlock Holmes but it is a very notable pastiche.
Kkinugawa
The book is about battle between Arsene Lupin and Sherlock Holmes who is one of the most famous detectives in the world. While the story itself was fine, I found several doubts about the way Maurice Leblanc had described Sherlock Holmes. Since this book was not written by colloboration with Conan Doile, Maurice Leblanc had described Sherlcok Holmes in his own way, I, fan of Sherlock Holmes felt strange in a lot of parts. Therefore if you are a fan of Sherlock Holmes, I would absolutely not recom ...more
Tuba
Nah...slow pace and it was like dozing off in the middle..
appreciate the effort anyway
Fr. Kyle
Listened to a Librivox recording. The reader did a great job. She great emotion and differentiation between characters. The first story from which the book is named started slow. It took quite a while to move along but once Holmlock Shears really got on the hunt it was a great cat and mouse. Arsene Lupin is a great character. Leblanc's crafting of the exemplary Frenchman, a gentleman thief, is much of the charm of the stories. An enjoyable read for mystery lovers.
Haya Najma
Yah penggambaran Sherlock agak berbeda sih.. tapi gapapa deh...
Dan pas watson patah tangan kanannya masa dia bingung sendiri, watson kan dokter. Kasian si watson hampir terbunuh terus.
Intinya si Lupin ini seringnya permainan kamar rahasia aja sih.

Soal bukunya. Terjemahannya jelek. Editannya juga, kadang percakapannya ga jelas kalo itu percakapan. Dan aku dapet yang beberapa halamannya hilang, bukan halaman seharusnya tapi malah diulang-ulang.
Alia
I've really been enjoying Arsene Lupin, but I have to say I'm not sure I can forgive Leblanc for his treatment of Sher... I mean Her... I mean "Homlock Shears" (as it is in the text, as opposed to the title) - "Shears" comes off as a robotic schmuck who couldn't care less about his dear comrade-in-arms "Wilson" and who can barely keep a rein on his temper when things don't go his way in his campaign against Arsene.
Christophe
Arsène Lupin se mesure à Herlock Sholmès dans une aventure au coeur de Paris où Lupin tombe amoureux de la Dame Blonde. Celle-ci, par amour pour Arsène Lupin, l'aide à commettre les vols les plus spectaculaires. Cette seconde oeuvre semble avoir été écrite pour affirmer la supériorité de l'aventurier français sur l'un des héros indétrônables de nos camarades d'outre-manche.
Peggy Lo
Growing up I loved Lupin more than I did Sherlock Holmes. Many of his stories were translated from French into Chinese. Sadly there aren't as many in English but I've found quite a few and I'm working my way through them. I'm glad that I still enjoy them. And the parody of Holmes and Watson, here Sholmes and Wilson (nope, the caricature is not that subtle) is pretty fun.
Olivia
Saya CUKUP menikmati buku ini.. Sayangnya, entah kenapa, persaingan antara Lupin dan "Sherlock Holmes" kurang menarik dan menantang.. Saya tidak merasakan ketegangan yang begitu berarti..
Apa karena saya kurang mengenal Holmes? Atau Holmes seolah dibuat sangat antusias dengan Lupin dan akhirnya malah sering "terkecoh" oleh Lupin?
Saya tidak tahu...
Uyuki
No estuvo tan mal, pero para alguien que es fan de Sherlock Holmes, ver esta versión superada por Lupin... no me parece muy... realista con el verdadero Holmes. Claro, este cambia de nombre y todo, pero de todas formas, se ve de dónde salió.
Y Lupin parece que siempre puede escapar, aunque las leyes de la física digan lo contrario.
  • Le parfum de la dame en noir
  • Gaslight Arcanum: Uncanny Tales of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Adventure of the Peerless Peer
  • The Seventh Bullet (The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes)
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Stalwart Companions
  • The Private Life Of Sherlock Holmes
  • Raffles: The Amateur Cracksman (A.J. Raffles, The Gentleman Thief #1)
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Giant Rat of Sumatra
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Scroll of the Dead
  • Chourmo
  • Le petit Nicolas et les copains (Le petit Nicolas, #4)
  • The Patient's Eyes
  • The Revenge of the Hound: A Sherlock Holmes Mystery
  • Sherlock Holmes in Orbit
  • Seance for a Vampire (Dracula Series, #8)
  • Le Bossu
  • Sherlock Holmes and the King's Evil: And Other New Tales Featuring the World's Greatest Detective (Sherlock Holmes, #4)
  • Sherlock Holmes Through Time and Space
Maurice Leblanc began as a journalist, until asked to write a short story filler, and gentleman thief (later detective) Arsène Lupin, more gallant and dashing than English counterpart Sherlock Holmes.
More about Maurice Leblanc...
Arsène Lupin, Gentleman-Thief (Arsène Lupin, #1) L'aiguille creuse (Arsène Lupin, #3) Arsène Lupin in 813 (Arsène Lupin, #4) The Crystal Stopper (Arsène Lupin, #7) The Confessions of Arsène Lupin (Arsène Lupin, #6)