Start by marking “The St. Martin's Guide to Teaching Writing” as Want to Read:
The St. Martin's Guide to Teaching Writing

The St. Martin's Guide to Teaching Writing

This guide to teaching writing and to major theoretical issues includes a brief anthology of scholarly essays and new coverage of construct-ing successful assignments using visual, oral, and electronic texts; teaching multilingual writers; and using technology in the writing classroom.
Published April 19th 2007 by Bedford/St. Martin's (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The St. Martin's Guide to Teaching Writing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The St. Martin's Guide to Teaching Writing

Karyn
Aug 14, 2008 Karyn rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: first year teaching assistants; any teacher wanting a refresher/good ideas
Recommended to Karyn by: the book rep's display of books
I wish I'd known about this book during my first year of teaching. Glenn & Goldthwaite take teachers through the whole process, from syllabus writing to assigning grades. The writers are never condescending, and they provide useful lists of articles and books for further reading. As a veteran teacher, I skimmed through most of the introductory stuff, but found good ideas about grading and group work in the classroom that have the potential to (I hope) revitalize my teaching and give me back ...more
Josh Boldt
Jul 24, 2011 Josh Boldt rated it really liked it
As far as teaching freshman composition goes, _The St. Martin's Guide to Teaching Writing_ is incredibly useful. It begins with syllabus construction and takes the reader through the entire first semester of teaching, from what to do on the first and second days, to sample writing assignments and classroom activities. The second section of the book explores varying styles of composition philosophy, citing several key players in the field. Many of these popular theorists are featured in the third ...more
Adam Sprague
Feb 14, 2012 Adam Sprague rated it really liked it
If the faculty at the university I teach at would have given this book to me more than 2 weeks before I had to begin teaching, my entire pedagogy would have been based on this book. Alas, this was not the case.

Also, teachers that find themselves teaching at a university that uses process-based/portfolio grading may have a harder time implementing some of the grading/activities advice.

This book will be the centerpiece of my course revisions that will take place over the summer.

p.s. Part 2 is a bu
Sean Endymion
Being someone who has teaching experience, this wasn't all that useful for me. However, the first half of the book breaks down (in rather expansive detail) all of the things that a first year teacher should think about. The latter half of the book drops in some theory, but all in all, I don't think this is a particularly bad book. If you are looking at the teaching profession (esp. college), I'd at least skim this.
Jay
Sep 04, 2014 Jay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is packed with information. It is aimed at teaching core composition at the university level, but so much of it is applicable to the secondary world. I conceptualized this book almost as a methods course for first time writing teachers; however, it is something I will definitely keep on my shelf, and would serve well anyone needing a refresher in teaching writing.
Diana Glyer
Sep 01, 2014 Diana Glyer rated it really liked it
This book covers both theoretical and practical issues in teaching writing, specifically directed to those who teach Freshman Writing Courses. It is excruciatingly specific and includes a truly wonderful selection of scholarly essays about writing instruction. I highly recommend it: there's nothing better to walk new college-level writing teachers step-by-step through a new writing course.
Dec 05, 2013 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very useful book for those who teach or tutor in writing. There were a great number of assignments and in-class activities that I highlighted, and will eventually use myself. The essays in the back of the book are also really great.
Rebecca Cantor
Aug 18, 2009 Rebecca Cantor rated it really liked it
This book saved my life when I started teaching. I remember pouring over the "The First Class" section the night before... terrified!
D'Anne
D'Anne rated it liked it
Sep 15, 2007
Jamie
Jamie rated it really liked it
Aug 19, 2014
josh
josh rated it it was ok
Oct 23, 2014
Tricia
Tricia rated it really liked it
Apr 22, 2015
Joy Sterrantino
Joy Sterrantino rated it really liked it
Oct 18, 2008
Christine
Christine rated it really liked it
Apr 21, 2012
Shaydra
Shaydra rated it it was amazing
Dec 09, 2014
Leeann
Leeann rated it liked it
Nov 11, 2011
Aleks
Aleks rated it liked it
May 23, 2016
Brenna Miller
Brenna Miller rated it did not like it
Dec 22, 2013
Melissa
Melissa rated it liked it
Oct 11, 2010
Tara Boyce
Tara Boyce rated it it was ok
Jun 09, 2014
She Writes
She Writes rated it really liked it
Dec 16, 2014
Shay Cooper
Shay Cooper rated it liked it
Jul 17, 2015
Lysander Schleh
Lysander Schleh rated it really liked it
Oct 25, 2015
Camille Meyers
Camille Meyers rated it liked it
Dec 19, 2015
Colleen Thorndike
Colleen Thorndike rated it liked it
Jul 10, 2007
Michael Cable
Michael Cable rated it it was amazing
Jan 07, 2011
Crystal
Crystal rated it really liked it
Mar 13, 2011
Cynthia
Cynthia rated it really liked it
Jan 05, 2009
Molly
Jul 05, 2011 Molly marked it as own-to-read
Shelves: teaching-comp
Copies given to all U of MN graduate students teaching University Writing (09-10 school year).
Ashlie Nunnally
Ashlie Nunnally rated it really liked it
Jul 24, 2014