Start by marking “Arsène Lupin contre Herlock Sholmès (Arsène Lupin, #2)” as Want to Read:
Arsène Lupin contre Herlock Sholmès (Arsène Lupin, #2)

Arsène Lupin contre Herlock Sholmès (Arsène Lupin #2)

3.80  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,135 Ratings  ·  66 Reviews
Arsène Lupin contre Herlock Sholmès!
L'homme qui défie toutes les polices françaises contre l'as des détectives anglais. « C'est justement quand je ne comprends plus que je soupçonne Arsène Lupin », avoue le célèbre limier.
Quand deux hommes aussi intelligents s'affrontent, leur duel est un grand spectacle. Qui a subtilisé le petit secrétaire d'acajou contenant un billet de
Mass Market Paperback, 222 pages
Published December 1st 2010 by Le Livre de Poche (first published November 1906)

To ask other readers questions about Arsène Lupin contre Herlock Sholmès, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Arsène Lupin contre Herlock Sholmès

Mike
Mar 15, 2014 Mike rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone

The review from afar – No. 2

Foreword to these overseas reviews:
Being committed to a month-long work trip to Malaysia, I decided to forego bring a handful of paperbacks and carry my as-yet-unused, gifted Kindle 3G instead. In preparation of said trip, I visited the Project Gutenberg site and loaded up some old, but enticing titles. (No, not bodice rippers, sorry guys.) So, for the first time I am reviewing books deployed on 21st century technology rather than that of the 15th (earlier, if you cre
Julie
Apr 25, 2016 Julie rated it liked it
Shelves: crime
Il me semble avoir lu des Arsène Lupin dans ma jeunesse, mais je n'en ai aucun souvenir. J'avais très envie de (re)découvrir cette saga et c'est donc chose faite grâce à ce cadeau.
Ce livre est composé de deux enquêtes, deux nouvelles si on veut, affrontant Arsène Lupin à Herlock Sholmès et son accolyte Wilson. Ça vous rappelle quelque chose? Un pastiche plutôt réussi de Sherlock Holmes et du Dr. Watson dont on reconnaît bien les différents caractères.
J'ai beaucoup aimé cette lecture mais j'ai
Lau
Nov 24, 2014 Lau rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, humour
I received a copy of this via NetGalley, for an honest review.

My expectations for this book were incredibly high. I loved the first book, especially the last bit where Herlock and Lupin met, and I was really looking forward to this one.

Unfortunately, I wasn’t blown away by it as I thought I would be. The first story wasn’t very entertaining to me. Herlock and Lupin’s interactions were amazing and I absolutely loved how cheeky Lupin was. That being said, I found the actual crime not interesting a
Elly Kurniawati
Apr 23, 2013 Elly Kurniawati rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Entah saya yang sudah jadi sedikit degradasi otak atau buku ini memang susah dipahami. Buat saya, buku ini (walaupun saya mengerti jalan ceritanya) sulit untuk diikuti. Saya bahkan merasa tidak bisa menemukan perasaan seru membaca cerita detektif sebelum sampai halaman 200. Diksi di novel terjemahan ini sulit dipahami juga. Sherlock Holmes sebagai detektif keren yang lebih dulu saya kenal sangat "out of character" sehingga saya merasa walaupun novel ini novel "battle" tapi terlalu merendahkan ke ...more
Tiffany
I enjoyed reading this book as much as I enjoyed reading the other Arsene Lupin book. The thing that this one has that the other didn't is that this is more of a cohesive unit: while each chapter still feels like its own short story (for the most part), put together, they make an overarching story. Still, it's just as fun as the short stories are. I love how smart Lupin is, and how he can outsmart even the brilliant detective, Herlock Sholmes.

Reading this has actually made me want to go back and
Ravzeldinkov
Apr 25, 2016 Ravzeldinkov rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Piensa en los remordimientos! En tu vejez envenenada!!
Louise Chambers
Oct 25, 2014 Louise Chambers rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: classic fiction, classic mystery fiction, french language, audiobook
Recommended to Louise by: Librivox.org
The Blonde Lady, being a record of the duel of wits between Arsène Lupin and the English detective. (original U.S. book translation publication title).

Maurice LEBLANC (1864 - 1941), translated by Alexander TEIXEIRA DE MATTOS (1865 - 1921)

Librivox audiobook quality is always excellent and easily accessible using their archive page: https://librivox.org. Or the books can be streamed or downloaded using the Librivox apps or other audiobook apps for tablets, computers and smartphones.

This is a book
Phil
Jan 29, 2012 Phil rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the greatest unexpected joys of owning a Kindle, is my very late introduction to pulp literature. It's something I've usually avoided through my reading life - literature is edifying, if I'm going to buy a book, it should take me more than 2 days to read, writing should aspire to art and not just thrills.

This has led me to shelves full of "literature" and very good it's all been too, but being able to access public domain material for free has suddenly shown me the guilty pleasures of Vi
cindy
On the first series, I thought I wanted a longer stories. Well, I got them in this second installment. But somehow I felt some disapointment. It's not as bang bang as I'd imajined. Sholmes/Shears/whatever was not as sharp and wit as it should be, Wilson was needy and uninteligent, and even Lupin was not as smart and playful as he promised. Ganimard...uh... yeah, better not started talking about that guy.

The Blue Diamond was mediocre. Ruined my imajination by leaving a death body in the process.
GONZA
Oct 06, 2014 GONZA rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Si no fuera porque Herlock Sholmes francesa definitivamente no es creíble, las dos historias aquí en este libro no son malos, te hacen reír y hasta olvidar que tiene más de cien años.

Se non fosse che Herlock Sholmes francese é decisamente poco credibile, i due racconti qui nel libro non sono niente male, fanno ridere e anche dimenticare che hanno piú di cento anni.

THANKS TO NETGALLEY AND OPEN ROAD INTEGRATED MEDIA FOR THE PREVIEW!
Ag
Dec 17, 2014 Ag rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Herlock Sholmès is determined to arrest Arsène Lupin. But Lupin has no intention of being caught. On the contrary, he quite enjoys illuding the english detective and inspector Ganimard (who would rather give up on what he considers to be a useless investigation). Two adventures featuring the gentleman-thief versus "England's greatest detective" - who is a parody of Conan Doyle's Holmes!
This is once again a great book by Maurice Leblanc. I loved it as much as the first one!
Laily Indaryani
Feb 05, 2016 Laily Indaryani rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
seorang pencuri ulung dan detektif yang terkenal saling bertemu. ini keren sekali. banyak hal-hal yang harus dilakukan holmes untuk mendapatkan petunjuk.

saat membaca buku ini, seolah kita akan masuk ke petualangan holmes melawan lupin. yah walaupun menggunakan sedikit bahasa perancis yang agak sulit untuk dipahami. tapi sejauh ini buku ini sangat menakjubkan.
Luqmanul Hakim Muttaqin
Pertarungan antara detektif putih dan detektif hitam yang berlatar di Prancis. Sherlock Holmes di undang oleh pihak yang kecolongan dari Prancis untuk mengungkap kasus-kasus yang dilakukan oleh Lupin.

Lantas, siapakah pemenang dari kisah ungkap-tangkap ala detektif tersebut?

silahkan dicari tau lebih lanjut dengan mulai membaca kisah dari novel ini!
Matthew Schatt
Wonderful counterpart to Sherlock Holmes (I mean, 'Herlock Sholmes,' of course)

If you are a fan of the mystery greats, be they Poe or Doyle or Christie, make sure to indulge in the tales of Arsene Lupin, the gentleman burglar, who proves that the best tales are never as black and white as they seem...
ireadnovels.wordpress.com
I read the new 2015 paperback version.
My favourite part of the book was The Blonde Woman. M. Gerbois, a teacher of mathematics buys Suzanne a small mahogany writing desk for her birthday. But while Suzanne was out and the maid was doing her shopping the writing desk was stolen from her house with a winning lottery ticket.
Edward Smith
Aug 03, 2011 Edward Smith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful read, and a fine example of Victorian mystery novels. We finally see the great English detective (called Herlock Sholmes due to Sir Doyle's lack of support for a crossover) and his Gallic counterpart clash in a battle of wits. Although I wouldn't recommend it as an introduction to Leblanc's work, as it was for me.

Like Doyle, Lupin is not predominantly featured in the novels, the reader is only exposed to his workings as he hides in the background (although we do see him in the end u
Yan
Sep 20, 2015 Yan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
Fun! It's entertaining to see Holmes going up against an adversary of equal intelligence to himself. Lupin in this is like a less sinister Moriarty who delights in tricking Holmes. Poor old Watson ('Wilson') gets a raw deal, though.
Despicable Me
Aug 13, 2014 Despicable Me rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Lupin was good but Holmes was made to look like almost an idiot. I'm a Holmes fan too, so my judgement will hardly be fair; still, I would say, Watson was somewhat like a cute doll with the senses of a puppet, and Holmes was a lot duller and slower. Only Lupin's respect and alarm gave any suggestion that he was the legend from Baker Street.
Of course, I meant "Sholmes" here who, legally, is not supposed to have any connection to Conan Doyle!

Actually, I have quite a high opinion about Lupin. I, pe
Marsha Altman
I have to note that not only did I read this book in translation, but I also read it in a cheap Kindle edition that had a ton of typos so that really hurt my ability to appreciate the novel. It's not very faithful to Sherlock Holmes (or "Herlock Sholmes" as he's referred to in the book because of legal issues between Doyle and LeBlanc in 1905), who does solve the two mysteries, but really only because Arsene Lupin is a gentleman who kinda gives the treasures back. Lupin comes off looking much be ...more
Spenser Barranco
Great pastiche. Both opponents are at their full strength and it's done beautifully! I just wish Watson/Wilson had more to do. He reminded me of Nigel Bruce's interpretation.
Megga Nurma W
jirr udah ga sanggup bacanya ...
mungkin berhenti samapai di sini dan akhirnya ga jadi ngikutin serial Arsene Lupin .. tidak sesuai ekspetasi ..
Caroline
Jul 26, 2012 Caroline rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
Overall I think that I liked this book. I thought that the characters were kind of cheesy and unoriginal, though. I mean, Homelock Shears and his trusty sidekick Wilson. Remind you of anyone? Otherwise I liked the crafty Arsene Lupin and the blonde lady. There were so many small mysteries it was a bit difficult to sort out the facts, and it wasnt really a whodunnit mystery, because we knew every time that it was Arsene Lupin. I tend to like the whodunnit type better, because this was just the bu ...more
France-Andrée
Je pense que le titre annonce déjà une parodie de Sherlock Holmes. Je n'ai pas un problème avec les différentes parodies qui existent, mais comme personnage Arsène Lupin est beaucoup plus intéressant que Herlock Sholmès et, bien sûr, Arsène est l'original et pas une copie palôte. J'ai trouvé qu'Arsène n'est pas assez souvent dans le livre, il apparaît seulement comme un personnage secondaire et je trouve cela dommage... L'ingéniosité d'Arsène est là, mais en trop petite dose. Cela dit, je n'ai p ...more
Raunak Ramakrishnan
The legendary French gentleman-thief vs the peerless detective (name mangled due to Copyright issues!).
Ondřej Puczok
Dec 13, 2015 Ondřej Puczok rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Zábavná "Sherlockovka" od jiného než klasického autora, s francouzským nádechem rošťáctví a Paříže. Hezké...
Farrahnanda Farrahnanda
I actually read an Indonesia version. But I'm too lazy to find that version. So, here I rated this book :)
Iasa
Feb 08, 2014 Iasa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
This is a lighthearted, easy read that never takes itself seriously. Perfect for a quick afternoon read.
Sienna
Feb 18, 2014 Sienna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Capital!
I had a lot of fun reading this book. Arsene Lupin never ceases to amaze and entertain me.
The "Homlock Shears" may not be as similar as the canon Sherlock Holmes but it is a very notable pastiche.
Adele Pokorna
Poslechnuto jako audiokniha. Bavila, ale nijak nevyčnívala.
Sandra
Jan 19, 2016 Sandra rated it it was amazing
Toujours aussi agréable ! Un plaisir renouvellé
  • Le parfum de la dame en noir
  • Raffles: The Amateur Cracksman (A.J. Raffles, The Gentleman Thief #1)
  • Fleurs de ruine
  • The Road to the Empire: Kisah Takudar Khan, Pangeran Muslim Pewaris Mongol
  • Holmes for the Holidays
  • The Rivals of Sherlock Holmes
  • Le Petit Nicolas et les copains
  • Gli uccelli di Bangkok (Pepe Carvalho #6)
  • La grammaire est une chanson douce (Plaisirs secrets de la grammaire #1)
  • Crónica del rey pasmado
  • The Return of Moriarty (Professor Moriarty, #1)
  • V for Vendetta, Vol. III of X (V for Vendetta, #3)
  • Der Richter (Lucky Luke, Bd. 31)
Maurice Leblanc began as a journalist, until asked to write a short story filler, and gentleman thief (later detective) Arsène Lupin, more gallant and dashing than English counterpart Sherlock Holmes.
More about Maurice Leblanc...

Arsène Lupin (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • Arsène Lupin, Gentleman-Thief (Arsène Lupin)
  • L'aiguille creuse (Arsène Lupin, #3)
  • Arsène Lupin in 813 (Arsène Lupin, #4)
  • 813 / Les  trois crimes d'Arsène Lupin (Arsène Lupin, #4.1)
  • The Crystal Stopper (Arsène Lupin, #5)
  • The Confessions of Arsène Lupin (Arsène Lupin, #6)
  • L'Éclat d'obus
  • The Golden Triangle (Arsène Lupin, #8)
  • L'île aux trente cercueils (Arsène Lupin, #9)
  • Arsène Lupin in the Teeth of the Tiger (Arsène Lupin, #10)