Start by marking “Getting the Words Right: How to Rewrite, Edit, and Revise” as Want to Read:
Getting the Words Right: How to Rewrite, Edit, and Revise

Getting the Words Right: How to Rewrite, Edit, and Revise

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  200 ratings  ·  28 reviews
A clear, highly readable handbook showing how to improve every piece of writing, whether fiction or nonfiction.
Paperback
Published August 1st 1990 by Writer's Digest Books (first published January 1st 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Getting the Words Right, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Getting the Words Right

Neal Dench
Pretty good, if somewhat overlong, book that gives you the basic rules for writing and revision to ensure that, whatever you're writing, you end up with the perfect message (principles which, I should add, I'm not using here!). Divided into 39 chapters, one for each "rule", Cheney argues quite effectively that the process splits into three basic principles, reduce, rearrange, and reword. This, of course, oversimplifies things horribly, but serves as a useful way of splitting up the book.

I felt t
Emily
I just could not finish this book. The first couple of chapters about editing were helpful, but the rest of it feels like it's written for middle schoolers who don't know how to put two words together... with about 100 times more words than is necessary to repeat his basic points over and over again. And he just keeps using examples from his own work only, which makes him seem pretty pompous, especially when the examples aren't that great.
Su Halfwerk
Getting the Words Right is the perfect example of how we take things for granted, like breathing.
Reading this book was a reminder of the basics of communication: Using the best and clearest methods/tools to get the point across.
This is definitely a keeper, one I plan to refer to frequently. The only issue I had was that for some points there were many examples (too many) and none for others.
Laini
Not a bad book as far as writing craft goes, but the BROWN typeface is brutal for those of us with less-than-stellar vision. It's actually painful for me to read.
Andie Long
An editing book that needed editing. Good but too wordy.
Carol Ryan
I was slogging my way through a novel when I downloaded Getting the Words Right by Theodore A. Rees Cheney. You might think the novel would have held my interest against capture by a book subtitled: 39 ways to improve your writing. But, you’d be wrong. Even though the novel was written by a prize winning author and had a compelling plot and characters, the style was awful. It was as though I was riding a bike uphill into a headwind. Cheney’s book was like coasting downhill. His book not only sho ...more
Nick
Theodore Cheney was a creative writing professor, and is an author of fiction and non-fiction. This book is all about the multifaceted process of revision, and is divided into three parts: reduce, rearrange, and reword. It discusses structure (from the level of sentence to story/novel), emphasis, word order, diction, rhythm, and usage. To illustrate techniques, almost every section contains writing samples from famous authors and workshop students alike. Behold as Cheney gets meta and blows your ...more
Judith Kohnen
This is a real treasure of a book, one I keep going back to over and over again. It covers the three fundamentals of revision (reducing, rearranging, and rewording). I highly recommend it.
Serena
Wow. Rarely have I read such an ORGANIZED book! I love how logically ordered each section is, and how smoothly they lead to each next part.

Although I love the entire book with all its little insights and illuminating examples, my favorite topics were:

--coherence
--emphasis
--style
--rhythm and sound

Highly recommended to anyone motivated to strengthen their writing.
Jeff
This book was very helpful in explaining all the various ins and outs of following up on a writers initial draft. It was, however, a bit verbose for my liking; if you are looking for a low amount of detail, this might not be the book for you. But if you want to get deep into the art of editing, etc, then give it a try.
Lee Sinclair
An incredibly helpful book for revising and editing your book. There's so much information in it. I especially like his large-to-small approach--making major revisions first, then intermediate ones, and finally micro-changes. It also works well as a reference book, if you only need help with a specific problem.
Lashawn
Gonna call it quits with this one for now. I like it because it helps kickstart you into paying attention in how you do your writing process. I don't know if this is something to be read straight through. I'm comfortable with picking it up and thumbing through it when I need a quick boost to craft.
Fred Fanning
This is a great book on revising your writing. I enjoyed it a great deal.
Dyah Rinni
Buku yang bagus banget buat belajar editing, maupun yang udah jadi editor. Banyak pelajaran simple tentang editing yang terkadang kita lupakan, padahal penting untuk diterapkan. Tips2 yang diajarkan juga praktis. Nggak bertele-tele.
Monika
Jun 01, 2011 Monika rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Aspiring writers
Shelves: writing-related
This is a great book for learning how to edit your writing. I use it to prepare for teaching editing. The only thing I don't like about it is the way it's printed -- in brown and in small type. It makes it harder to read.
Sarah-Ann
This book was sluggish to get through. I also found the layout (decorative leaf patterns which randomly indenting text) distracting and confusing.
Jacob
This book has sound recommendations and is full of examples. Nothing new here and a bit tedious to read, but it will be useful as a reference.
Melissa
Not my favorite writing resource, but great if you are having trouble cleaning up a manuscript with too many irrelevant words!
Sandra Almazan
A useful handbook on revision for writers, with plenty of examples and tips to help you make your writing more effective.
Catherine
For a book about "getting the words right" and improving your writing in revisions, this isn't a terribly engaging read.
Abby
Very useful book. Can be used for reference when you encounter writing problems.
I think Theodore's advice is solid, but he kinda comes across as a tool.
Jack
Useful, practical guide to improving your writing
Marcia
Excellent resource for aspiring creative writers
Goodthelife
Great reference
Highlights moved to Evernote
Lynda
One I dip into when the computer is booting.
Lee
Lee marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2015
  • How to Be a Writer: Building Your Creative Skills Through Practice and Play
  • The Complete Handbook Of Novel Writing: Everything You Need To Know About Creating & Selling Your Work (Writers Digest)
  • The Complete Guide to Self-Publishing: Everything You Need to Know to Write, Publish, Promote and Sell Your Own Book
  • Story Structure Architect: A Writer's Guide to Building Dramatic Situations and Compelling Characters
  • Hooked: Write Fiction That Grabs Readers at Page One & Never Lets Them Go
  • Write That Book Already!: The Tough Love You Need to Get Published Now
  • Portable MFA in Creative Writing
  • Grammatically Correct
  • First Draft in 30 Days: A Novel Writer's System for Building a Complete and Cohesive Manuscript
  • Robert's Rules of Writing: 101 Unconventional Lessons Every Writer Needs to Know
  • Make a Scene: Crafting a Powerful Story One Scene at a Time
  • Story Engineering: Character Development, Story Concept, Scene Construction
  • Break Into Fiction: 11 Steps to Building a Story That Sells
  • Characters, Emotion & Viewpoint: Techniques and Exercises for Crafting Dynamic Characters and Effective Viewpoints
  • Write Good or Die
  • The Writer's Idea Book
  • Bullies, Bastards & Bitches: How to Write the Bad Guys of Fiction
Writing Creative Nonfiction: Fiction Techniques for Crafting Great Nonfiction Living In Polar Regions