Start by marking “How You Were Born” as Want to Read:
How You Were Born

How You Were Born

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  24 ratings  ·  8 reviews
It is natural for young children to be curious about where they come from. Using vivid full-color photographs and a clear, straightforward text, this comprehensive book answers the questions they have about how an egg cell grows to become a baby, how a baby lives inside its mother's uterus, and how a baby is born.
Published May 24th 1994 by HarperCollins (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about How You Were Born, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How You Were Born

Leslie Stair
This was perfect for my preschooler who is VERY curious about nature and all babies as well as her own birth.

It gives a lot of information but in a simple, clear manner about the scientific aspects of how a baby grows and is born. It brings up eggs and sperm but doesn't get into the how, which is perfect for the first introductions on this topic. It had great pictures and diagrams with diverse families and even mentions birth centers and midwives as well as showing a photo of a mother breastfee
Nicole
Mar 03, 2009 Nicole rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: moms/parents needing to explain where babies come from to their kids
Recommended to Nicole by: a mom
This book was recommended to me by a woman from my church when I asked how she handled talking to her kids about this issue. It's very straightforward without being too graphic or explaining too much, basically a basis to begin the conversation with your kids about where babies come from. So far, I've just read it myself and will over the next little while start talking to my oldest ones about this issue. Hopefully it will help them understand and help give me a way to explain it to them.
Alicia
This is a fantastic book for teaching the birds and the bees to young children. It goes into lots of scientific details without going into any bedroom details. I especially like that this book talks about babies being born at home or the hospital and that it shows a baby nursing. The photographs are great and diverse.
Michelle Williamson
This was a great book to read along with my young child regarding the basics of sex ithout giving too much information at this age. I feel like it was perfect for the 6-8 year old, giving them the starter information that will serve as the building block of open conversations later.
Nicole
Pretty much perfect to answer the questions of early elementary aged kids without getting into too much detail that they don't need yet. Photos and illustrations greatly aid the explanations.
Mary
Sep 03, 2011 Mary added it
Shelves: caoimhe
The birds and bees made easy peazy, lemon squeezy.

Or, you could go with my childhood version, The Modern Girl's Guide to Chastity, by Fr. Douglas. Circa 1927.
Also a gem.
Jeniann
A great little book about how babies are born that I wouldn't be embarrassed to read to a 4 year old because it's presented clearly but very appropriately.
Tammy
nicely written for children to read or to read together. not graphic but informative.
Liberty
Liberty marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2014
Neil
Neil added it
Aug 14, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Laura Coulter
Laura Coulter marked it as to-read
May 13, 2014
Renee
Renee marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2014
Erin
Erin added it
Jan 16, 2014
Christin
Christin marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2014
Judith
Judith marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2013
Paula
Paula marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2013
Rich
Rich added it
Jun 09, 2013
Anna
Anna added it
Jun 28, 2013
Yinzadi
Yinzadi marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2013
Bhanu Khullar
Bhanu Khullar marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2013
Joanna Cole who also writes under the pseudonym B. J. Barnet is an author of children’s books who teaches science.

She is most famous as the author of The Magic School Bus series of children's books. Joanna Cole has written over 250 books ranging from her first book Cockroach to her famous series Magic School Bus.

Cole was born in Newark, New Jersey, and grew up in nearby East Orange. She loved scie
More about Joanna Cole...
The Magic School Bus Inside the Human Body (The Magic School Bus, #3) The Magic School Bus Lost in the Solar System (The Magic School Bus, #4) The Magic School Bus on the Ocean Floor (The Magic School Bus, #5) The Magic School Bus Sees Stars: A Book About Stars The Magic School Bus Inside Ralphie: A Book About Germs