Start by marking “How You Were Born” as Want to Read:
How You Were Born

How You Were Born

It is natural for young children to be curious about where they come from. Using vivid full-color photographs and a clear, straightforward text, this comprehensive book answers the questions they have about how an egg cell grows to become a baby, how a baby lives inside its mother's uterus, and how a baby is born.

Published May 24th 1994 by HarperCollins (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about How You Were Born, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How You Were Born

Leslie Stair
Jan 20, 2013 Leslie Stair rated it it was amazing
This was perfect for my preschooler who is VERY curious about nature and all babies as well as her own birth.

It gives a lot of information but in a simple, clear manner about the scientific aspects of how a baby grows and is born. It brings up eggs and sperm but doesn't get into the how, which is perfect for the first introductions on this topic. It had great pictures and diagrams with diverse families and even mentions birth centers and midwives as well as showing a photo of a mother breastfee
Nicole
Mar 03, 2009 Nicole rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: moms/parents needing to explain where babies come from to their kids
Recommended to Nicole by: a mom
This book was recommended to me by a woman from my church when I asked how she handled talking to her kids about this issue. It's very straightforward without being too graphic or explaining too much, basically a basis to begin the conversation with your kids about where babies come from. So far, I've just read it myself and will over the next little while start talking to my oldest ones about this issue. Hopefully it will help them understand and help give me a way to explain it to them.
Alicia
Jul 10, 2009 Alicia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids, science
This is a fantastic book for teaching the birds and the bees to young children. It goes into lots of scientific details without going into any bedroom details. I especially like that this book talks about babies being born at home or the hospital and that it shows a baby nursing. The photographs are great and diverse.
Michelle Williamson
Jul 30, 2011 Michelle Williamson rated it liked it
This was a great book to read along with my young child regarding the basics of sex ithout giving too much information at this age. I feel like it was perfect for the 6-8 year old, giving them the starter information that will serve as the building block of open conversations later.
Mary
Sep 03, 2011 Mary added it
Shelves: caoimhe
The birds and bees made easy peazy, lemon squeezy.

Or, you could go with my childhood version, The Modern Girl's Guide to Chastity, by Fr. Douglas. Circa 1927.
Also a gem.
Heather
Oct 29, 2016 Heather rated it it was amazing
This book has simple vocabulary and explanations what pregnancy is, and how a baby is born. Each page has color photographs or illustrations of babies, parents, or fetuses in the womb.
Nicole
Jun 25, 2013 Nicole rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Pretty much perfect to answer the questions of early elementary aged kids without getting into too much detail that they don't need yet. Photos and illustrations greatly aid the explanations.
Jeniann
Sep 20, 2008 Jeniann rated it really liked it
A great little book about how babies are born that I wouldn't be embarrassed to read to a 4 year old because it's presented clearly but very appropriately.
Haley Johnson
Apr 12, 2017 Haley Johnson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
This book is very lengthy. It tells all about the process of a baby. I would use this book in a fifth grade classroom.
Carol Laspina
Carol Laspina rated it it was amazing
Feb 21, 2013
Hayley Alden
Hayley Alden rated it did not like it
Jan 14, 2013
The Brothers Umbras
The Brothers Umbras rated it it was amazing
Jul 17, 2010
Christine
Christine rated it really liked it
Apr 03, 2011
Mazereb
Mazereb rated it really liked it
May 21, 2014
Emmy
Emmy rated it liked it
Aug 13, 2012
Sophia
Sophia rated it it was amazing
Nov 27, 2016
Melissa
Melissa rated it really liked it
Oct 02, 2012
TheEagerReaders Violet
TheEagerReaders Violet rated it really liked it
Jan 05, 2010
Beverly
Beverly rated it liked it
Jul 12, 2015
Julie
Julie rated it liked it
Mar 18, 2017
Carrie Michelle
Carrie Michelle rated it it was ok
Apr 09, 2013
Vivian
Vivian rated it really liked it
Apr 20, 2009
Momma
Momma rated it it was amazing
Jan 21, 2016
Laura Vogt
Laura Vogt rated it really liked it
Jan 20, 2015
Amie
Amie rated it it was ok
May 26, 2016
Miki
Miki rated it it was ok
Apr 25, 2009
Peter Rispin
Peter Rispin rated it it was amazing
Jun 06, 2015
Camilla
Camilla rated it really liked it
Apr 11, 2012
Anna Sargent
Anna Sargent rated it liked it
Jun 05, 2014
Lori
Lori rated it really liked it
Aug 01, 2013
Joanna Cole who also writes under the pseudonym B. J. Barnet is an author of children’s books who teaches science.

She is most famous as the author of The Magic School Bus series of children's books. Joanna Cole has written over 250 books ranging from her first book Cockroach to her famous series Magic School Bus.

Cole was born in Newark, New Jersey, and grew up in nearby East Orange. She loved scie
More about Joanna Cole...