Start by marking “The Distant Beacon” as Want to Read:
The Distant Beacon

The Distant Beacon (Song of Acadia #4)

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  1,137 ratings  ·  28 reviews
While Anne settles into life in Britain, Nicole sets sail for America to manage her uncle's holdings and finds her heart and loyalties tested by the Revolution.
Large Print, 383 pages
Published 2002 by Bethany House Publishers (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Distant Beacon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Distant Beacon

Lisa James
I swept through this one, rather disappointed. First of all, it's actually a middle book in a series, so I didn't get the references to anything that came before this book. It doesn't lend itself well to being a stand alone book. It's also pretty predictable as a plotline, more like a Harlequin romance than a historical fiction, which is what it sounded like. It also NOWHERE classified itself as Christian fiction, which is exactly what it was. Now, if you are INTO that genre, you'll like the boo ...more
Peggy N
Mar 31, 2014 Peggy N rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to Peggy by: Read the previous books in the series.
The Distant Beacon is the fourth book in the Song of Acadia series by Janette Oke. I have read all four and have enjoyed the series very much. In The Distant Beacon, Nicole Harrow returns to the American Colonies in a time of war with the British. She comes as a Viscountess of Harrow to claim the lands that her uncle Charles Harrow has given to her. Because Lord Charles Harrow had spoken on behalf of the colonies in Parliament and against the war, the American government had gifted him the land ...more
Nadine Keels
Thoughts on the entire series.

With these novels, I joined the ranks of readers who know what it is to be in the midst of a series, waiting, even with bated breath, for the next book in the series to be published.

I appreciate the style and language that Bunn clearly brought into this co-written historical fiction saga with Oke. I remember being totally engrossed and on edge during a certain crucial stretch in The Meeting Place and was floored by the unembellished end to that nerve-racking rush: “
Jenny Preston
I'm glad I read this series. Overall, it was engaging with great characters and a moving plot. It was a good entertaining read. Now... it's far, far, far from perfect. Spoiling my complaint because I can't explain it without spoiling:

[spoil]
Just like book #3, this wraps up way too neatly for my tastes. It just wasn't necessary for Louise and Catherine to be blood-relatives. And the discussion they have about their blood connection, IMHO, cheapens the miracle of the rest of their relationship. It
Mom
The saga of the war going on kept this book of the series very interesting. Had the betrayal part figured out before the author wrote about it. Can't imagine traveling in long dresses, in the dust and mud - yuck! The love between the married people is very touching - very strong relationships and love spoken about. Their faith in God and always about what he has planned for them - to listen for that answer instead of going it alone. Enjoying this series.
Cheryl
I found this one to be a lot more exciting than the previous books. I really enjoyed the Revolutionary War setting. The main complaint I had about this book was that Gordon Goodwind's conversion just didn't resonate with me. It felt forced, contrived, convenient, and unnecessary. It would have been so much more interesting for Nicole to accept that he had a quieter, more restrained relationship with God, decide to squelch her misgivings, marry him anyways, and then have his faith reinforced and ...more
Phyllis C
This story moves from England to New England, and includes history of the British/American conflict.
Shiloh
I appreciated the History in this book. Very interesting.
Melissa
While Anne settles in England, Nicole sets off to oversee her Uncle Charles’s property in Massachusetts. Gordon Goodwin acts as her guide as she first visits her parents, then traverses towards Massachusetts. War and devastation lie in her way.

As Nicole travels, she wonders if she will ever truly find a home, and if she will ever find the right man’s love.

Messages of courageous faith, forgiveness, and love are woven into this book. I won’t give away the exciting twists and turns, but I will say
Claire
I enjoyed following Nicole on her life adventure. I felt like I could choose for her. Although the ending seemed obvious, it was still a good read.
This book has more romance added to it since Nicole has a love interest.
Grace
Oct 17, 2008 Grace rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes fiction novels
This was the 3rd in the Acadian series that I've been reading. I really enjoyed the first and the second wasn't as good to me, but the third one was great!

A story of love, hope and strength coming after perseverance.
Jennifer McGee
A wonderful novel set around the American Revolution, but told from a new perspective for me. I'm enthralled with the series, though this is only the first installment I've read.
Brenda
Book on CD. Eh, it was okay, but not great. The writing wasn't great, but the story was okay. I guess it was the second book in a series, but it wasn't hard to pick up the story line.
Melissa
I think this might have been my favorite of the series so far. Staged in 1775ish the American Revolution is a big theme in this book. You should give it a try!
Penny Lou
I liked this book. It's a good historical romance with a strong Christian perspective. The best part is that there was no profanity like you find in literature today.
Katie
Another great book. There was a section that was a little confusing, but in general a great, uplifting story.
Loraine
Loved it. On to the next one. I'll be sorry when this series is over and I'm starting book 5 of 5 now, so soon.
Sherri
Finally an interesting one in this series...but a bit confusing and rushed at the end.
Alison
Sep 24, 2008 Alison rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Alison by: My Mom
"It's really interesting, but a tiny bit confusing... but i love it! "
Odetta
Jan 17, 2012 Odetta rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who like historical christian novels.
Recommended to Odetta by: Next in a series
It was too long. I got tired of listening to it. I didn't like the war either.
Karen
Very nice historic story
Rachel
An interesting book, certainly, but not a favorite.
Partridge Public
Nov 09, 2007 Partridge Public added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Oke INSP
Shelves: inspirational
Oke, Janette /Bunn, T.Davis PB
Ashwise
It was allright. Everyone seemed to perfect.
Annalise
Sep 18, 2007 Annalise rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone!!!
Shelves: historic-fiction
This one is really good. it's so romantic. :)
  • The Solitary Envoy (Heirs of Acadia, #1)
  • The Damascus Way (Acts of Faith, #3)
  • The Eleventh Hour (Secret of the Rose #1)
  • The Rescue (The English Garden #2)
  • Kansas Brides: Stranger's Bride/Never a Bride/Bittersweet Bride/His Brother's Bride
  • The Shield of Honor (Wakefield Dynasty #3)
  • North by Night: A Story of the Underground Railroad
  • Cannons at Dawn: The Second Diary of Abigail Jane Stewart, Valley Forge, Pennsylvania, 1779 (Dear America)
  • Amethyst (Dakotah Treasures, #4)
  • Up and Down the Scratchy Mountains
  • Seeking Philbert Woodbead (Fairweather Sisters, #2)
  • Rivers of Gold (Yukon Quest, #3)
  • Glory (Brides of the West, #4)
Janette Oke writes with a profound simplicity of what she knows best—real life, honest love, and lasting values. With over 23 million in sales, her historical novels portray the lives of early North American settlers from many walks of life and geographical settings. She also writes engaging children's stories and inspiring gift books that warm the heart.

Janette was born during the depression year
More about Janette Oke...
Love Comes Softly (Love Comes Softly, #1) When Calls the Heart (Canadian West #1) Love's Enduring Promise (Love Comes Softly #2) Love's Long Journey (Love Comes Softly #3) Love's Abiding Joy