Linotte the Early Diary of Anaïs in 1914-1920

Linotte the Early Diary of Anaïs in 1914-1920 (The Early Diary of Anaïs Nin #1)

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  281 ratings  ·  15 reviews
This edition, published by HBJ, shares it's ISBN (not the one stated here) with another edition yet has this cover.
Textbook Binding, 532 pages
Published June 1980 (first published 1978)

Cari
Anais Nin's writing always makes me happy sigh, infused as it is with a certain otherworldliness and a beauty separate from whatever one may think of the woman herself. (Even in her own diaries, it's clear that Nin must have been a very difficult woman to deal with. And that's putting it mildly.) In short, I'm very much a fan of all her work, but while I'd love to recommend Linotte to everyone, I can't. I'm too aware that this is really a book that will only hold the attention of like-minded fan...more
Kay
This book is really wonderful. In a world where we have endless amounts of young adult fiction, in which grown women trying to mimic the thoughts and feelings of a teenage girl, it's refreshing to read the true thoughts and feelings of an actual teenage girl. She might be a precocious one, but her diary is so genuine, so passionate, so beautifully written that I found it inspiring.

Anaïs Nin, A.N. or Linotte, as she nicknames herself in the book, is a French-Cuban immigrant that came to New York...more
Greta
Anaïs Nin clearly has a passion for writing. Her first diaries evoke detailed images of what it was like for her as a teenage immigrant to America. Despite being written in French and subsequently translated into English, her ability to express herself (in two languages) is phenomenal. Her words flow and the minute details of her life are rarely boring. Her insights into other people and the nature of life are much deeper than one would expect for a person of her age. Many of her observations sh...more
Cherie
Nov 13, 2007 Cherie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anais nin fans
Shelves: non-fiction
Oh, I LOVE Anais Nin! This is a must for any Anais Nin fan. I wish I had started with this years ago, to see her progression. It is fantastically written; even as a young teenager, she is an excellent and captivating writing. You can see her skill and it was not boring by any means; her life has an adventure to it, a novel-like quality like her later diaries do. (What happens next with Prince Marcus? Will Papa come over? What will happen with Maman's business?) I highly recommend this fabulous d...more
Jess
Very interesting to read such young thoughts from Anais Nin, whose adult impressions have been such a big part of my adult life. I liked seeing her development and am excited to read more of the early diaries of her late teens and early twenties, as I have only read the ones starting in the early 1930s, about ten years after this one. At times this volume could be a bit repetitive, but that makes sense given that it is the day to day of a child's life.
Ruth E. R.
Jun 26, 2012 Ruth E. R. rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Ruth by: Brookfield Public Library
I had never heard of Anais Nin when I picked up this book at my local library. Anne Frank's diary had been very special to me, so this was a happy discovery. What I later learned about the rest of her life is unfortunate, but I marveled and cherished her descriptions of life as a creative adolescent from an artistic Catholic family in New York City during the early 20th century! She found beauty and mysticism in the most ordinary things.
sheena
What's a polite way to admit that these diary entries are, you know, kind of boring? What did you expect? Anaïs was just a baby. Still, pretty exciting moment there when she realises she is no longer ugly. I'll stop this review now, because as she notes, "people who complain are good for nothing in the world. And pessimists are monsters!"
Leslie ellis
Those of you who do not know who she is, for one she was a lover of Henry Miller.
Henry Miller, well hmmm... Wikipedia him.

She started her diary early, age eleven.
This is a great prerequisite to foundate her latter writings.
I'm so excited!

I'm enraptured at the moment and am deleting all current readings. Yeah.

Sarah Greenman
Voyeurism at its best. A study on the psychological landscape of young womanhood. Nin is a born writer - even these diary entries, some as early as nine years old, are concise, beautifully detailed and filled with piercing vulnerability.
Julia DelSignore Peoples
Not terribly interesting, but I realize she was very young when writing this. Considering her age at the time of writing, it's fairly well written. I am willing to read another book of her when she is older.
Kate
I'm not sure where I heard about Anais Nin but I wanted to read her journals. I couldn't bring myself to start in the middle of her life, so I found her earliest journals... and was pretty much bored silly.
I am having such a hard time putting this book down. Its amazing that an 11 year old girl can write something so beautiful.
Katy White
Reading the earliest diaries of Ms. Nin was enjoyable. I would recommend them only to fanatics, however.
Jill
Mar 15, 2008 Jill marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
If Sarah has not led me astray THIS time....
Claudia
I need to re-read this - formative.
Jessyca Zana
Jessyca Zana marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
Frances
Frances marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Abbie
Abbie marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
LiteraryLover
LiteraryLover marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Lyndsie A
Lyndsie A is currently reading it
Jul 13, 2014
Margaret
Margaret marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Callee
Callee marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Hala Geady
Hala Geady marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Emilie
Emilie marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
Sheena
Sheena marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
EyeWrite
EyeWrite marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
John
John marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2014
  • The Complete Letters of Oscar Wilde
  • You Can't Catch Death: A Daughter's Memoir
  • Solacers
  • The Importance of Being Iceland: Travel Essays in Art
French-born novelist, passionate eroticist and short story writer, who gained international fame with her journals. Spanning the years from 1931 to 1974, they give an account of one woman's voyage of self-discovery. "It's all right for a woman to be, above all, human. I am a woman first of all." (from The Diary of Anaïs Nin, vol. I, 1966)

Anaïs Nin was largely ignored until the 1960s. Today she is...more
More about Anaïs Nin...
Delta of Venus Henry and June: From "A Journal of Love"--The Unexpurgated Diary of Anaïs Nin (1931-1932) Little Birds The Diary of Anaïs Nin, Vol. 1: 1931-1934 A Spy in the House of Love