Start by marking “Prospero's cell: a guide to the landscape and manners of the island of Corcyra” as Want to Read:
Prospero's cell: a guide to the landscape and manners of the island of Corcyra

Prospero's cell: a guide to the landscape and manners of the island of Corcyra

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  305 ratings  ·  32 reviews

Lawrence Durrell composed Propero's Cell as if it were a journal or diary of a year and a half on the island of Corfu, and he prefaced his statement of poetic intent by a casual comment, "I am making no attempt to control all this material." Of course he really is, for this is a carefully plotted and thought-out reminiscence that covers a period from early spring to harves

157 pages
Published October 1st 1997 by Faber (first published February 20th 1974)

To ask other readers questions about Prospero's cell, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Prospero's cell

Shovelmonkey1
Feb 27, 2012 Shovelmonkey1 rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who are looking for an Alexandria Quartet come-down
Recommended to Shovelmonkey1 by: Paul Theroux
Fate can be a cruel mistress. And sometimes she can be wonderfully kind and place all the ingredients in the right place at the right time thereby creating something almost on the other side of wonderful. Lawrence Durrell could have been born in a time and place when he chose or was forced to have a static existence. He might have lived without the funds to furnish his travels and his exploration of all sides of the Mediterranean. Or he might have been born with funds and an unquenchable wanderl ...more
Jim
Years ago when I was young, Lawrence Durrell was a god to me; and his Alexandria Quartet was like sacred scripture. Now that I have aged and learned a thing or two, I see that Durrell is something of a phony. His book on Corfu -- Prospero's Cell -- has many of the same characteristics that I loved in the Quartet: the significant encounters with a group of eccentric characters, leading to significant discussions and multiple epiphanies based on their knowledge of the local area.

Now that I am bet
Ariel Evans
Somewhere between Calabria and Corfu the blue really begins. All the way across Italy you find yourself in a landscape severely domesticated--each valley laid out after the architect's pattern, brilliantly lighted, human. But once you strike out from the flat and desolate Calabrian mainland toward the sea, you aware of a change in the heart of things: aware of the horizon beginning to stain at the rim of the world, aware of islands coming out of the darkness to meet you.

In the morning you wake
Ryan Murdock
Born in colonial India in the foothills of the Himalayas but sent to boarding school in England, Lawrence Durrell hated the buttoned-up lifestyle of the north. When his father died he saw an opportunity to escape. Somehow, by some incredible art of persuasion, he convinced his mother to pack up their entire family—four children, of whom he was the eldest—and move them all to the Greek island of Corfu.

They lived a crazy island life with eccentric locals and writers dropping by—people like Freya S
izzy
very fragmented - which you would expect from a diary - and often over-profound and irritating, but with the capacity to be beautiful. durrell knows the sea, more than any other writer i've read, and this books feels like something found washed up on a beach. the sexism is jarring (but what else would you expect from lawrence "there are only three things to be done with a women [...] love her, suffer for her, or turn her into literature" durrell) but (almost) worth it. this is a book made for qu ...more
Josh
This is probably my favorite book to read and read again when the weather gets cold. Inspires travel lust and urges to quit one's job. A collection of Durrell's memories, journal entries and highly romanticized impressions from his travels in Corfu, Greece, before WWII.
Sandy
I enjoyed this book as a poetic and adult complement to Gerald Durrell's childhood memories of Corfu. Many of the same characters reappear and are seen thru Lawrence's adult eyes. The epilogue is sad; the island seems to have been a bombing range during WWII.
J.
Written in journal format this is part history part travelogue of Corfu. Lawrence Durrell lived on Corfu for little over five years with his first wife Nancy Myers. Nancy has been airbrushed out of Gerald's account "My family and other animals" and doesn't feature much in Lawrence's account. When she does feature she is dubbed "N". He moved to the island when he was twenty six years old.

"It is April and we have taken an old fisherman's house in the extreme north of the island Kalamai. Ten sea-m
Durrell's prose is pure magic. Vivid yet subtle, it flirts with the Baroque without ever breaking the spell it casts on the reader.
This is seductive travel writing at its finest.
Particularly well done is the balance between descriptive prose and historical detail in order to bring the island to life out of a colourful past and into an uncertain present. The final note is a bitter sweet one, layered with nostalgia...
hellocarmel
Partly a diary of his time in Corfu with his eclectic and eccentric collection of Greek friends, partly a history of this fascinating island and partly a poetic homage to a beautiful part of the world, Prospero's Cell is an evocation of the largest of the Ionian Islands. From the times of Ancient Greece, when Odysseus allegedly fled to the island to the late 1930s when this book was written, with the looming world war bringing menace to paradise, Durrell skips back and forth in time, telling var ...more
Lucynell
Feeling very ambiguous about this slim part-memoir part-travelogue by Lawrence Durrell. Clarity, I think, is the issue here. Though the author relishes in attractive poetic form, whether describing people or places, the weather even, I felt as stumbling on air. Not a nice feeling. I believe I've come across books like this one before, very sophisticated stuff, often beautiful, usually confusing. A better reader will enjoy this much more than I did.
Kat
Although Lawrence Durrell is best known for The Alexandria Quartet, his travel books are worth reading. I especially like Prospero’s Cell, a memoir/history of Corfu that includes journal entries, poetry, history, a travel guide, dialogue, and letters.

Durrell writes lyrical, dense, rhythmic, imaginative prose. You either fall in love with it or you don’t. In the passage below, he writes crystalline, unconventional fragments about the sea.

"The sea’s curious workmanship: bottle-green glass sucked s
Katy
I think I enjoyed this book because it contains echoes of Gerald Durrell, in the same way that I like Beethoven's Eroica Symphony because it reminds me of his Pastoral Symphony. In both cases, though, what I really want is the one of which I'm being reminded.
Rachel Persad
Mar 24, 2013 Rachel Persad rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Rachel by: Bee Bishop
Shelves: greece
Durrell's part memoir, part history, part cultural narrative offers a poignant insight into the life of Corcyra between the wars. Enjoyable and charming, of a very different time. A great gift for anyone travelling to the Greek Islands.
Jonathan
i love his descriptive prose but this one is a little dry. still i long to be there with the group sipping wine and enjoying the conversation and roar of the sea. the rustic beauty summoned by Durrell is so enchanting.
Linda
You become aware of islands, coming to meet you.... This travel memoir dedicated to Durrell's first experience in Greece, on the island of Corfu from 1935 -1939 is a sensuous banquet of luminous impressions. Durrell’s travel memoirs are mosaics of history, landscape, folklore, diaries of daily experience filtered through an artist's eye searching for the patterns and the myth below the surface. They are not so much explorations of the soul of place per se, but of the ways the soul of place expre ...more
Mark Law
I took my family last year to stay in the White House in Corfu which is where the author and his wife lived in the late 1930s (had a great holiday). I read the book to get a feel for the place and thoroughly enjoyed it. This book is not genius which brother Gerald Durrell's Corfu Trilogy definitely is but really worth reading if you ever make a trip to Corfu.
Val
Durrell lived on Corfu for several years and obviously loved the island. He evokes the place, its people, way of life and history very well. He was a poet as well as a novelist and his writing reflects a poet's sensibility to multiple images in a way which gives a richness to his writing.
His mother and younger siblings rented a house on Corfu while he was there, although Lawrence does not mention them. Kid brother Gerald penned a different view of the island, less beautifully written but very am
Kirsten
May 16, 2011 Kirsten rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: cold people who want to feel alive again
When the Northerly wind blows, find solace here, in some of the most beautiful writing you could read. You will taste the olives. You will feel the sunshine. Corfu of the late 1930's will come alive. And you will even learn some things about Greece, and about silence.

"Presently the carbide lamp is lit and the whole miraculous underworld of the lagoon bursts into a hollow bloom--it is like the soft beautiful incandescence of a gas-mantle lighting. Transformed, like figures in a miracle, we gaze d
Samantha
I cant stand having to read a book in short bits like I did this one! This book was quite an easy read but did demand a bit of attention with all the history and philosophy. I really enjoyed his writing style. He made Corfu sound magical. I'd love to go there and see if the things in the book remain nowadays. I decided to read this book after reading his brothers when I was a lot younger. A good easy read overall.
Clint
Magnificient prose. A little slow at first but first rate later.
Abby Fermont
A mix between biography, travel journal and history writing a fascinating glimpse of life in pre-war Corfu. Some parts seem somewhat dated now, but if you want an idea of what a bohemian lifestyle was like in the 1930s from a male point of view, it's good reading.
Lucy J Jeynes
Poetic, beautiful - and an obvious choice for a holiday in Corfu. I bought it at the White House, just to complete the whole Durrell experience.

Lovely, just lovely.
D
A nice complement to the 'My family and other animals' series by the author's brother. To be read in small installments, as it has been written.
Karen
Wonderfully evocative of a particular island, Corfu, at a particular time - right before WW II. Very beautifully written.
Jessica
Luscious descriptions of Greek life on the island of Corfu, though I wish it were written by a Greek instead of an Englishman.
Vesna
Explicit, romantic and absolutely Greece. Its a painting in words!
One can read it and read again.
Edward A.
Love the clarity and evocation of his style. Wistful look at a magical place, now gone.
Lynne King
Lawrence Durrell's series of travel books are fabulous. I will eventually write review.
  • Dinner with Persephone: Travels in Greece
  • Mani: Travels in the Southern Peloponnese
  • A Winter in Arabia
  • A Visit to Don Otavio
  • Abroad: British Literary Traveling Between the Wars
  • Trieste and The Meaning of Nowhere
  • Walking the Woods and the Water: In  Patrick Leigh Fermor's footsteps from the Hook of Holland to the Golden Horn
  • The Life of My Choice
  • Ill Met: By Moonlight
  • An Armenian Sketchbook
  • The Road to Oxiana
  • Alibis: Essays on Elsewhere
Born in Jalandhar, British India, in 1912 to Indian-born British colonials, Lawrence Durrell was a critically hailed and beloved novelist, poet, humorist, and travel writer best known for the Alexandria Quartet novels, which were ranked by the Modern Library as among the greatest works of English literature in the twentieth century. A passionate and dedicated writer from an early age, Durrell’s pr ...more
More about Lawrence Durrell...
The Alexandria Quartet  (The Alexandria Quartet #1-4) Justine (The Alexandria Quartet, #1) Balthazar (The Alexandria Quartet, #2) Mountolive (The Alexandria Quartet, #3) Clea (The Alexandria Quartet, #4)