Start by marking “It's Called Work for a Reason!: Your Success Is Your Own Damn Fault” as Want to Read:
It's Called Work for a Reason!: Your Success Is Your Own Damn Fault

It's Called Work for a Reason!: Your Success Is Your Own Damn Fault

The #1 bestselling author of Shut Up, Stop Whining, & Get a Life reveals the only thing you need to know to succeed in business: YOUR SUCCESS IS YOUR OWN DAMN FAULT!

Some authors of business books stroke your ego by reinforcing information you already know. Others give you detailed statistical analysis of the economy, or buying trends, encouraging you to get lost in t

Published December 28th 2006 by Gotham (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about It's Called Work for a Reason!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about It's Called Work for a Reason!

Anthony McDowell
I really wanted to give this book 3 or less stars because the guy comes across as a jerk, but then I look and I have 2 pages of notes front and back, so even though I would never work for someone like him, there is enough information to warrant 5 stars. I don't have to like him, but his book served its purpose.
Colleen
Nov 14, 2008 Colleen rated it really liked it
Love it so far. What an eye opener! If you are a sissy... do not pick up this book. It's a tell it like it is kind and you have to be open to getting it.
Regan W
Oct 31, 2016 Regan W rated it liked it
A straight forward, no nonsense approach to working and business. Not for the faint of heart. Don't read this book, unless you are ready to take responsibility for your problems.
Angel
I just finished it, and I know there are parts I may want to read again. There were a few things I could identify with personally. There were also a lot of coworkers that I identified right away as the lazy bums they are that, if they worked for Larry, would have been long gone by now. A lot of this book is common sense, or at least readers may think it is common sense until they start reading. I say the readers may think it is common sense because if everybody actually embraced at least some of ...more
Loy Machedo
Jan 05, 2012 Loy Machedo rated it really liked it

Seldom if ever, do you have a book that there will be placed on two extreme sides of an opinion. This book qualifies for that ‘once-in-a-blue-moon’ phenomenon.

Larry Winget with his ferocious teeth of wisdom, his Pitbull persistence and his Irritating persona has managed to do it yet again. This is a book you will either hate or love – I can assure you nothing in between.

If you are an employer you would wish to employ this as your official HR Manual going to the extent of ensuring each and ever
Anthony Deluca
Mar 31, 2013 Anthony Deluca rated it it was amazing
It’s Called Work for a Reason
By: Larry Winget
Copyright 2007
Reviewed February 2008.

This book is very straightforward, useful, easy, and even entertaining. Larry Winget gives this expectation up front and delivers throughout the book. The background for the book is the experiences and theories of the author. The motivation is very subjective, yet hit a common vein with me, and I would expect would do the same with others. I would not consider this book a solo tool for becoming a better manager, em
Elizabeth Licata
May 31, 2014 Elizabeth Licata rated it really liked it
It’s Called Work for a Reason!
By Larry Winget
5/7 stars
I will admit that I have avoided reading this book for years. Not because I dislike work or am not dedicated to doing a good job. Rather, I had problems with the cover. The front cover of the book is emblazoned with gold lettering and features a man wearing sunglasses, flowered shirt, gaudy rings, and chartreuse boots. First impressions are everything. My first impression was: how could someone who dresses like that teach? I am happy to say
Peter
Aug 29, 2008 Peter rated it liked it
I have to admit, I was biased at first. I thought this book, like many other popular personal finance books would fit into one of two categories:

1: Complete and total BS, the author wrote the book for one reason, *his* personal finances.

2: Another motivational speaker who it tells it like it is.

While the book seemed to have inklings of both of the above abhorrent qualities, it was unique and interesting in it's own right. Larry describes himself as 'the world's only irratational speaker' (tradem
Michelle
The tone of this book is much different from almost all other professional development/team building/leadership books. The author is a bit harsh which was entertaining to me. The book is full of some entertaining anecdotes on customer service.
He basically says stop your whining and start working hard. Success is your own fault...so, if you suck that is because you are doing a sucky job. :)
The book boils down to this: take care of your customer, stop the blame game and just get the job done- if i
Michele Huffman
Mar 02, 2008 Michele Huffman rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book simply because it was different from most of the other business books I have read or been told to read by management. I have been a non-mangement cog in the corporate world for almost 40 years and it was great to read something that wasn't full of team building , feel-good bull crap. I have a shelf full of books that have been given to me by the several businesses that have employed me and they were all pretty much the same. ( The budgets of these places could be put to ...more
Matt
Apr 01, 2008 Matt rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: people with excuses
I can't quite believe I read this book, but I happened to be at a bookstore during my lunch break and saw it. I was having a bad day and wasn't feeling very motivated and thought this might help. I am glad I didn't buy it and just checked it out from the library.
It was cheesy and the author seems quite full of himself. Pretty much all common sense stuff and most "facts" provided by the author are his educated opinions on the way things are. He does make some good points and I can't say it was a
Shawn Camp
May 09, 2014 Shawn Camp rated it liked it
Shelves: sales-growth
This books has loads of too the point and at times harsh statements on what employees/employers should be doing. What it lacks though is motivation.

There are loads of don't do this but do this ideas mentioned throughout, but all it's really go to do is produce a result of either; "Duh, who doesn't do that" or "Who the hell does this guy think he is?!?!. What's lacking are those that say, "This book has changed everything I've thought I was doing about work and made me more productive." I'd like
Melita
Christopher Lewis Kozoriz
You were hired to produce results. ~ Larry Winget, It's Called Work for a Reason

Larry Winget confronts us with the four letter word...WORK. In this book he instructs on many topics related to work. Some of them include:

- What you need to do to succeed at your work;

- What you ought not to do at work;

- Personality types of people at work i.e. The Kiss-Ass, Mr. Positive, Sweet Sally, etc; and

- Customer Service;

He also shares many useful stories from his own life that help illustrate what he is inst
Kathy
Mar 17, 2008 Kathy rated it really liked it
Loved this book! There are some pretty harsh statements in it but it boils down to take care of your customer, quit screwing around at work and just get the job done and stop blaming others if you're not successful. He includes some great anecdotes on customer service, or disservice as the case may be, and provides bullet point summaries of the chapters' lessons.

The language is a bit coarse (not for me, I actually didn't notice it but then I'm a potty mouth) so if you're put off by that, I'd giv
Lateefah
Oct 13, 2007 Lateefah rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: No one
Hating this book (audio book). The author talks about how lazy workers are...and I can't relate. I rarely get a spare moment at work. So far no useful advice on how to improve performance. Heavy on silly insults and light on actual advice.

And what's with the heavy accent (on the audio book)...the author sounds exactly like Hank on King of the Hill. It's distracting, he should have paid someone to read the book and spared us the accent--but he was probably afraid the hired reader would be too la
Tom
Apr 06, 2009 Tom rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2008
Great book to get motivated. I learned a lot about myself while reading this. He has a very "in-your-face" writing style. I have seen a video of him speaking, so I was able to visualize him speaking the words to me. THAT helped a lot. I've read it twice, highly recommended for employees and definitely employers or supervisors with employees under them - you'll learn about yourself and them too!
Borino
Apr 09, 2007 Borino rated it really liked it
Larry Winget is a character. He writes with a no-nonsense attitude and tells it like it is. This is not your typical motivation/new-age/rah-rah flavor of the month. Winget is in your face from start to finish. Good tips, interesting examples, and his own experience make it worth while.

Yes, his attitude occasionally comes across as a shtick, but the book is full of good tips for both the corporate worker bees, managers, and business owners. And it's fun read to boot.

Recommended.
Cory
Dec 14, 2015 Cory rated it it was ok
I listened to the audiobook version of this, which may have been a mistake. There were a few interesting things in this book, and I often felt like saying "Yeah! What he said!" But overall, it just got repetitive, and he's the sort of person that you wouldn't want to be friends with. Because he thinks he's always right, and seems totally unwilling to entertain the notion that there might be other ways of doing things. He's got his gimmick, though, and it works for him.
Loren
Sep 22, 2015 Loren rated it liked it
It's a good book that breaks down the bottom line of working & what's most important. I like his no nonsense style like when he talks about that results are the most important thing when your employee, not who you know or what u look like, it all comes down to results. The book is filled with common sense wisdom about the working world too.
Millsfredo
One of the best book by the Pit bull of Personal Development, the personal development Guru, Larry Winget.
In this book, he shares 'cut to the chase' strategies for improving your life and work. Part humorous but realistic sharing. If you need a kick in the butt to get going, this is the book to read and take action by applying the suggestions.
Amber
May 02, 2009 Amber rated it really liked it
Great advice! Written more for people who work for a large company, but if you think outside the box, you can apply it to a small company, or in my case, being self-employed!

I recommend ALL books by Larry Winget... but only if you like it when someone "tells it like it is" - he is very upfront and in your face. Great on TV, too - with the show "Big Spender" :)
Sheri Radford
Nov 09, 2012 Sheri Radford rated it really liked it
I had a hard time with this audiobook at first, because Larry Winget sounds like a cross between Jeff Foxworthy and the King of the Hill. Once I got past the redneck accent, however, I discovered that Winget has lots of common-sense advice about how to get ahead at work. Immediately after finishing it, I requested a whole bunch more of his books from the library.
Kristina
Nov 06, 2007 Kristina rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who works for a living
This book is funny and inspiring. Winget's sense of humor really shines through, in a punch-you-in-the-face kind of way. It really makes you look at work for what it is, and realize where your expectations should be with regard to job satisfaction and success. I'd like to read his other books!
Heather
Jun 03, 2008 Heather rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This book will change your life especially if you are in a rut at work. It's straight, in your face, you know you are a slacker (because I'm writing this at work) honesty. I suggest you buy the book so you can highlight and use it as a manual.
Roger
Feb 11, 2010 Roger rated it really liked it
so i liked the style of writing in this. it's very "cut the crap and here's what you do". sometimes that schtick can get old but it wasn't that bad.

count this as another library book i started but didn't make it all the way through. not based on the book, but my own pitiful reading habits.
Ron Brand
Sep 15, 2013 Ron Brand rated it it was amazing
I have purchased five of these books and have loaned them to the needy or those that influence those that need Larry's wisdom. Get off your asses and go back to work, children in third world countries are taking your jobs.
Digvijay Singh
Jul 14, 2014 Digvijay Singh rated it it was amazing
This is only the 2nd book I have ever read, which is relevant to the reality of the corporate world. The first one was Linchpin. It's called work for a reason taken no prisoners, and is a must read for anyone who even remotely wishes to be among the top 1% of performers.
Amy Kauderer
Jan 13, 2013 Amy Kauderer rated it it was amazing
Larry Winget cuts to the chase and doesn't pull any punches. I am going to give a copy of this book to everyone I hire. He has inspired me to do more than any of the other motivational writers that I have read.
Keith Kendall
Dec 13, 2012 Keith Kendall rated it liked it
Shelves: career
The author is blunt, and seems to value abrasiveness as a virtue.

There is no need to make it complicated. How to (do well) is not a "secret." He keeps it simple with a little bit of repetition that he warned us about up front. If you can stand the coarse language, he makes it plain and simple.
  • Business Secrets from the Bible: Spiritual Success Strategies for Financial Abundance
  • The Essentials of Business Etiquette: How to Greet, Eat, and Tweet Your Way to Success
  • Happiness: The Art Of Living With Peace, Confidence And Joy
  • The Richest Man Who Ever Lived: King Solomon's Secrets to Success, Wealth, and Happiness
  • Ted, White and Blue: The Nugent Manifesto
  • Jack Trout on Strategy
  • Emily Post's The Etiquette Advantage in Business: Personal Skills for Professional Success
  • Into the Kill Zone: A Cop's Eye View of Deadly Force
  • The Power of Ambition
  • Focus: The Future of Your Company Depends on It
  • Rich Dad's Prophecy: Why the Biggest Stock Market Crash in History Is Still Coming...and How You Can Prepare Yourself and Profit from It!
  • How Conversation Works: 6 Lessons for Better Communication (Great Courses, #9382)
  • Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University
  • The Millionaire Maker: ACT, Think, and Make Money the Way the Wealthy Do
  • The Myth of Stress: Where Stress Really Comes From and How to Live a Happier and Healthier Life
  • The Flip Side: Break Free of the Behaviors That Hold You Back
  • Millionaire by Thirty: The Quickest Path to Early Financial Independence
  • Leadership Secrets of Jesus
Larry Winget is a motivational speaker and writer on the topics of money, personal success and business.
More about Larry Winget...

“I have discovered there are only a handful of good ideas in the whole world. You already know them. You have heard them your entire life. Here are some of the main keys to being more successful:
Take personal responsibility.
Things change, so be flexible.
Work smart and work hard.
Serve others well.
Be nice to others.
Be optimistic.
Have goals; want something big for yourself.
Stay focused.
Keep learning.
Become excellent at what you do.
Trust your gut.
When in doubt, take action.
Earn all you can. Save all you can. Give all you can.
Enjoy all you've got.
Above all keep it simple.”
20 likes
“The world, and therefore the workplace, is full of idiots. And the reality of life is that when you get rid of one idiot, another will show up to take his place. It's the curse of humanity.” 15 likes