The Produce Bible: Essential Ingredient Information and More Than 200 Recipes for Fruits, Vegetables, Herbs & Nuts

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  35 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Anyone who has shopped in a farmers market knows the abundant glories of seasonal produce, from the deep, fruity notes of a sun-ripened tomato to the crisp, green snap of a just-harvested bean; from the intoxicating perfection of a ripe strawberry to the juicy sweetness of a hand-picked peach. Like a trip to the market, "The Produce Bible" brings together the best of natur...more
Published March 1st 2007 by Stewart, Tabori and Chang

Meredith
How do you know which watermelon in the stack will taste best? This book will tell you - and answer any other questions you've ever had about virtually any type of produce, including nuts. It also gives delicious looking recipes for each type of produce. So if you come across something you've never cooked with you have no excuse not to give it a try.

This is one I intend to add to my kitchen cookbook collection.
Mo Tipton
I'll definitely be on the lookout for a secondhand copy of this book. The photography is gorgeous, and there are hundreds of recipes, along with selection and storage tips, for anything you might find at the farmer's market. Indispensable reference if you're trying to eat locally and seasonally but occasionally find yourself mystified by the produce offerings available and could use a little help in turning that strange-looking celeriac or tamarillo into a tasty meal.
Tamara
Another good book for CSA research.

Each section covers a different fruit, vegetable, or herb, with suggestions on how to shop for them, how to prepare them, how to store them, and their culinary uses (i.e. which ingredients to prepare them with.)

Although extremely light on the recipes (one or two per item), I almost considered buying this one, because it's such a good reference tool.
Christine
This book is heavenly! Great recipes and fun to just look at over and over again. Full of historical factoids too, which really adds to the book for me. I wish there was a bit more information on the health benefits of each fruit/veggie, but it does offer some basic information. With that said, however, I love this book for the recipes, info and just enjoyable perusing.
Jesse
Oct 02, 2007 Jesse rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who love produce.
Aside from the absolutely gorgeous photography, this book is extremely well organized and very useful, although I sort of want two copies so I can keep one of them pristine! I just got this book a couple of weeks ago and have already made several recipes from it and they've been absolutely delicious.
Amanda
More comprehensive in terms of produce covered but not as comprehensive in information as others. More recipes
Robert
A great field guide to vegetables and fruits. It contains facts and information about each and then a few recipes.
Leah
I have been waiting for a book like this for years!!!!!! If you like to cook this is indispensable!!
Johny
The is a bee-yoo-ti-full reference guide about fruits and veggies.
Courtney
Mar 31, 2011 Courtney marked it as to-read
Ahhh summer, you make me welcome produce again!
Isabella
Excellent Christmas present, thank you DV!
Niyi
Niyi marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Ann
Ann marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2014
Cid Young
Cid Young marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2013
Alyssa
Alyssa marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2013
Chris Lippay
Chris Lippay marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2013
Yaroslav Gorbal
Yaroslav Gorbal marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2013
Lynne
Lynne added it
Oct 08, 2013
Lori Richardson
Lori Richardson marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2013
Janine
Janine marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2013
Mari
Mari marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2013
Amy Ettinger
Amy Ettinger marked it as to-read
May 20, 2013
Kaitlin
Kaitlin marked it as to-read
May 07, 2013
Wendy
Wendy marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2013
Sarah added it
Apr 03, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Turkey: More than 100 Recipes, with Tales from the Road The Dairy. Leanne Kitchen The Greengrocer Grower's Market: Cooking With Seasonal Produce The Baker. Leanne Kitchen