Start by marking “The Produce Bible: Essential Ingredient Information and More Than 200 Recipes for Fruits, Vegetables, Herbs & Nuts” as Want to Read:

4.18  ·  Rating Details  ·  44 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Anyone who has shopped in a farmers market knows the abundant glories of seasonal produce, from the deep, fruity notes of a sun-ripened tomato to the crisp, green snap of a just-harvested bean; from the intoxicating perfection of a ripe strawberry to the juicy sweetness of a hand-picked peach. Like a trip to the market, "The Produce Bible" brings together the best of natur ...more
Published March 1st 2007 by Stewart, Tabori and Chang

To ask other readers questions about The Produce Bible, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Produce Bible

Meredith
Jun 26, 2008 Meredith rated it it was amazing
How do you know which watermelon in the stack will taste best? This book will tell you - and answer any other questions you've ever had about virtually any type of produce, including nuts. It also gives delicious looking recipes for each type of produce. So if you come across something you've never cooked with you have no excuse not to give it a try.

This is one I intend to add to my kitchen cookbook collection.
Kimberly Ann
Feb 13, 2016 Kimberly Ann rated it it was ok
2 1/2

I'm really torn over this one: I like the idea, I like many of the recipes, & I like much of the ingredients.

I do not like that: it weighs a ton & it is paperback; some produce items have several recipes, some have one, several haven't any; there are very few photographs except of the piece of produce; and it is cumbersome to use....

Not to mention the fact (but I will) there was so much information that it was just overkill.... There just wasn't enough information on any one item.
Melissa
Feb 21, 2009 Melissa rated it really liked it
Shelves: food
I'll definitely be on the lookout for a secondhand copy of this book. The photography is gorgeous, and there are hundreds of recipes, along with selection and storage tips, for anything you might find at the farmer's market. Indispensable reference if you're trying to eat locally and seasonally but occasionally find yourself mystified by the produce offerings available and could use a little help in turning that strange-looking celeriac or tamarillo into a tasty meal.
Tamara
Feb 10, 2008 Tamara rated it really liked it
Another good book for CSA research.

Each section covers a different fruit, vegetable, or herb, with suggestions on how to shop for them, how to prepare them, how to store them, and their culinary uses (i.e. which ingredients to prepare them with.)

Although extremely light on the recipes (one or two per item), I almost considered buying this one, because it's such a good reference tool.
Christine
Feb 24, 2010 Christine rated it it was amazing
This book is heavenly! Great recipes and fun to just look at over and over again. Full of historical factoids too, which really adds to the book for me. I wish there was a bit more information on the health benefits of each fruit/veggie, but it does offer some basic information. With that said, however, I love this book for the recipes, info and just enjoyable perusing.
Jesse
Oct 02, 2007 Jesse rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people who love produce.
Aside from the absolutely gorgeous photography, this book is extremely well organized and very useful, although I sort of want two copies so I can keep one of them pristine! I just got this book a couple of weeks ago and have already made several recipes from it and they've been absolutely delicious.
Amanda
Jul 27, 2009 Amanda rated it liked it
More comprehensive in terms of produce covered but not as comprehensive in information as others. More recipes
Robert
Aug 30, 2007 Robert rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
A great field guide to vegetables and fruits. It contains facts and information about each and then a few recipes.
Leah
Apr 19, 2011 Leah rated it it was amazing
I have been waiting for a book like this for years!!!!!! If you like to cook this is indispensable!!
Johny
Mar 09, 2008 Johny rated it it was amazing
The is a bee-yoo-ti-full reference guide about fruits and veggies.
Courtney
Ahhh summer, you make me welcome produce again!
Bella
May 31, 2011 Bella added it
Excellent Christmas present, thank you DV!
Lili
Lili rated it it was amazing
May 29, 2016
Lovisa
Lovisa marked it as to-read
May 17, 2016
Charlotte Fraser
Charlotte Fraser marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
William Nye
William Nye rated it it was amazing
Apr 27, 2016
Claudia
Claudia marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2016
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2016
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it liked it
Jan 18, 2016
Evelyn Webster
Evelyn Webster rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2016
Luz
Luz added it
Jan 02, 2016
Stefan
Stefan added it
Dec 19, 2015
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2015
Bonnie DaRienzo
Bonnie DaRienzo marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2015
Alicia White
Alicia White marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2015
Ashley
Ashley rated it it was amazing
Jul 16, 2015
Cheryl Scaccio
Cheryl Scaccio marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2015
Kyles
Kyles rated it really liked it
May 15, 2015