Start by marking “The Produce Bible: Essential Ingredient Information and More Than 200 Recipes for Fruits, Vegetables, Herbs & Nuts” as Want to Read:

Like a trip to the market, The Produce Bible brings together the best of nature's bounty, offering delicious recipes and essential ingredient information for more than 100 varieties of fruits, vegetables, herbs, and nuts. Bursting with luscious color photographs, this is an invaluable resource for gardeners, cooks, and food lovers alike.
Published March 1st 2007 by Stewart, Tabori and Chang

To ask other readers questions about The Produce Bible, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Produce Bible

Meredith
Jun 26, 2008 Meredith rated it it was amazing
How do you know which watermelon in the stack will taste best? This book will tell you - and answer any other questions you've ever had about virtually any type of produce, including nuts. It also gives delicious looking recipes for each type of produce. So if you come across something you've never cooked with you have no excuse not to give it a try.

This is one I intend to add to my kitchen cookbook collection.
Kimberly Ann
Feb 13, 2016 Kimberly Ann rated it it was ok
2 1/2

I'm really torn over this one: I like the idea, I like many of the recipes, & I like much of the ingredients.

I do not like that: it weighs a ton & it is paperback; some produce items have several recipes, some have one, several haven't any; there are very few photographs except of the piece of produce; and it is cumbersome to use....

Not to mention the fact (but I will) there was so much information that it was just overkill.... There just wasn't enough information on any one item.
Melissa
Feb 21, 2009 Melissa rated it really liked it
Shelves: food
I'll definitely be on the lookout for a secondhand copy of this book. The photography is gorgeous, and there are hundreds of recipes, along with selection and storage tips, for anything you might find at the farmer's market. Indispensable reference if you're trying to eat locally and seasonally but occasionally find yourself mystified by the produce offerings available and could use a little help in turning that strange-looking celeriac or tamarillo into a tasty meal.
Christine
Feb 24, 2010 Christine rated it it was amazing
This book is heavenly! Great recipes and fun to just look at over and over again. Full of historical factoids too, which really adds to the book for me. I wish there was a bit more information on the health benefits of each fruit/veggie, but it does offer some basic information. With that said, however, I love this book for the recipes, info and just enjoyable perusing.
Jesse
Oct 02, 2007 Jesse rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people who love produce.
Aside from the absolutely gorgeous photography, this book is extremely well organized and very useful, although I sort of want two copies so I can keep one of them pristine! I just got this book a couple of weeks ago and have already made several recipes from it and they've been absolutely delicious.
Tamara
Feb 10, 2008 Tamara rated it really liked it
Another good book for CSA research.

Each section covers a different fruit, vegetable, or herb, with suggestions on how to shop for them, how to prepare them, how to store them, and their culinary uses (i.e. which ingredients to prepare them with.)

Although extremely light on the recipes (one or two per item), I almost considered buying this one, because it's such a good reference tool.
Leah
Apr 19, 2011 Leah rated it it was amazing
I have been waiting for a book like this for years!!!!!! If you like to cook this is indispensable!!
Amanda
Jul 27, 2009 Amanda rated it liked it
More comprehensive in terms of produce covered but not as comprehensive in information as others. More recipes
Robert
Aug 30, 2007 Robert rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
A great field guide to vegetables and fruits. It contains facts and information about each and then a few recipes.
Happycheshire
Happycheshire rated it liked it
Oct 15, 2011
Susanne
Susanne rated it it was amazing
Jan 31, 2012
Catherine
Catherine rated it really liked it
Jan 11, 2015
Alena K
Alena K rated it it was amazing
Jun 30, 2014
Katy
Katy rated it liked it
Oct 23, 2008
Johny
Mar 09, 2008 Johny rated it it was amazing
The is a bee-yoo-ti-full reference guide about fruits and veggies.
Stacey Small
Stacey Small rated it really liked it
Jun 10, 2016
Lili
Lili rated it it was amazing
May 29, 2016
Jennifer rated it liked it
Dec 05, 2012
Marina
Marina rated it really liked it
Jan 28, 2008
Scott
Scott rated it really liked it
Feb 21, 2010
Jen
Jen rated it liked it
Oct 01, 2007
Ashley
Ashley rated it it was amazing
Jul 16, 2015
Mac Morse
Mac Morse rated it it was amazing
Nov 17, 2013
Moira
Moira rated it really liked it
Nov 28, 2009
Chelsea
Chelsea rated it really liked it
Aug 13, 2009
Evelyn
Evelyn rated it it was amazing
Jun 19, 2016
Stephen
Stephen rated it really liked it
Sep 26, 2007
Krista Huerta
Krista Huerta rated it it was amazing
Nov 12, 2009
Wendi Byrd
Wendi Byrd rated it really liked it
Oct 05, 2012
Westerville
Westerville rated it really liked it
Feb 15, 2008