Start by marking “The Produce Bible: Essential Ingredient Information and More Than 200 Recipes for Fruits, Vegetables, Herbs & Nuts” as Want to Read:

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  40 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Anyone who has shopped in a farmers market knows the abundant glories of seasonal produce, from the deep, fruity notes of a sun-ripened tomato to the crisp, green snap of a just-harvested bean; from the intoxicating perfection of a ripe strawberry to the juicy sweetness of a hand-picked peach. Like a trip to the market, "The Produce Bible" brings together the best of natur ...more
Published March 1st 2007 by Stewart, Tabori and Chang

To ask other readers questions about The Produce Bible, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Produce Bible

Library-KAT
2 1/2

I'm really torn over this one: I like the idea, I like many of the recipes, & I like much of the ingredients.

I do not like that: it weighs a ton & it is paperback; some produce items have several recipes, some have one, several haven't any; there are very few photographs except of the piece of produce; and it is cumbersome to use....

Not to mention the fact (but I will) there was so much information that it was just overkill.... There just wasn't enough information on any one item.
Meredith
How do you know which watermelon in the stack will taste best? This book will tell you - and answer any other questions you've ever had about virtually any type of produce, including nuts. It also gives delicious looking recipes for each type of produce. So if you come across something you've never cooked with you have no excuse not to give it a try.

This is one I intend to add to my kitchen cookbook collection.
Melissa
I'll definitely be on the lookout for a secondhand copy of this book. The photography is gorgeous, and there are hundreds of recipes, along with selection and storage tips, for anything you might find at the farmer's market. Indispensable reference if you're trying to eat locally and seasonally but occasionally find yourself mystified by the produce offerings available and could use a little help in turning that strange-looking celeriac or tamarillo into a tasty meal.
Tamara
Another good book for CSA research.

Each section covers a different fruit, vegetable, or herb, with suggestions on how to shop for them, how to prepare them, how to store them, and their culinary uses (i.e. which ingredients to prepare them with.)

Although extremely light on the recipes (one or two per item), I almost considered buying this one, because it's such a good reference tool.
Christine
This book is heavenly! Great recipes and fun to just look at over and over again. Full of historical factoids too, which really adds to the book for me. I wish there was a bit more information on the health benefits of each fruit/veggie, but it does offer some basic information. With that said, however, I love this book for the recipes, info and just enjoyable perusing.
Jesse
Oct 02, 2007 Jesse rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who love produce.
Aside from the absolutely gorgeous photography, this book is extremely well organized and very useful, although I sort of want two copies so I can keep one of them pristine! I just got this book a couple of weeks ago and have already made several recipes from it and they've been absolutely delicious.
Amanda
More comprehensive in terms of produce covered but not as comprehensive in information as others. More recipes
Robert
A great field guide to vegetables and fruits. It contains facts and information about each and then a few recipes.
Leah
I have been waiting for a book like this for years!!!!!! If you like to cook this is indispensable!!
Johny
The is a bee-yoo-ti-full reference guide about fruits and veggies.
Courtney
Ahhh summer, you make me welcome produce again!
Bella
May 31, 2011 Bella added it
Excellent Christmas present, thank you DV!
Cheryl Scaccio
Cheryl Scaccio marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2015
Daniel
Daniel marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2015
Ferin
Ferin marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2015
Jennifer Ellington
Jennifer Ellington marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2015
Marcie
Marcie marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2015
zebroshyennie
zebroshyennie marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2015
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2015
Ann
Ann marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2015
Natalia
Natalia marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
Bethany
Bethany marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2014
Bethany
Bethany marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Turkey: More than 100 Recipes, with Tales from the Road The Dairy. Leanne Kitchen The Greengrocer Grower's Market: Cooking With Seasonal Produce The Baker. Leanne Kitchen