Start by marking “The Film Snob*s Dictionary: An Essential Lexicon of Filmological Knowledge” as Want to Read:
The Film Snob*s Dictionary: An Essential Lexicon of Filmological Knowledge

The Film Snob*s Dictionary: An Essential Lexicon of Filmological Knowledge

From the same brain trust that brought you The Rock Snob*s Dictionary, the hilarious, bestselling guide to insiderist rock arcana, comes The Film Snob*s Dictionary, an informative and subversively funny A-to-Z reference guide to all that is held sacred by Film Snobs, those perverse creatures of the repertory cinema. No longer must you suffer silently as some clerk in a “To ...more
Published February 21st 2006 by Broadway Books

To ask other readers questions about The Film Snob*s Dictionary, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Film Snob*s Dictionary

Kurt
May 07, 2012 Kurt rated it liked it
I grabbed this book from a shelf of free offerings from a local library, thinking (without reading anything in or on the book itself) that I was probably a film snob, and hoping for recommendations. It turns out, this is a book mocking a very specialized type of media consumer. A film snob, as used by the authors of this book, is someone who only likes a certain type of movie, one that is generally so highbrow as to be unwatchable, or so weird as to be unwatchable, or so unwatchable as to be unw ...more
Mikey
Mar 12, 2007 Mikey rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: movie lovers and film snobs alike
Shelves: nonfiction
The Film Snob's Dictionary is a funny and informed collection of takes on films, styles, filmmakers, and trends that are beloved by those guys behind the counter at Hollywood Express. Kamp and Levi are not themselves film snobs, but are clearly knowledgeable about film and have a wide breadth of knowledge about the art form, which leads to straightforward, honest, and humorous insights about Pauline Kael ("nonsensical"), German Expressionism ("despite their cherished place among snobs, actually ...more
Landon
Jan 23, 2016 Landon rated it liked it
Marina
Feb 18, 2012 Marina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humour
Un simpatico dizionarietto utile a capire gli snob cinefili. Un po' difficile per chi, come me, non è un grande appassionato di cinema e perciò non sa cogliere tanti riferimenti, ma divertente comunque. Uno su tutti: «Andrei Tarkovsky: Acuto e visionario ma con un senso del ritmo da era della glaciazione: vedere i suoi film è più che altro una scelta di vita.» Peccato mortale Peter Greenaway inserito fra le 10 causes célèbres snob fraudolente. Si vede che un pelino snob lo sono anch'io.
Bryce Wilson
Nov 07, 2007 Bryce Wilson rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: It's all in the title
Shelves: film
Perenial bathroom reading. Good quick bite sized chunks of reading, filled to the brim with interesting facts, useful trivia, and truly funny writing.

Strikes a nice balance, it's funny, but genuinely knowledgeable, it respects its subjects but its not afraid to take the piss out of a sacred cow or two, and it's not afraid to call out the reader for being the type of person to own The Film Snob's Dictionary.
Michael Borshuk
Sep 17, 2012 Michael Borshuk rated it liked it
Slight, but entertaining. Like its companion volume The Rock Snob's Dictionary, which I also read and enjoyed, this has the double-value of being a delicious parody of a subculture, even as it functions as a really useful reference for discovering fun aspects of that subculture. Imagine The Preppy Handbook with an emphasis on Tarkovsky and Walter Murch, instead of Lacoste and Topsiders.
James
Jan 20, 2011 James rated it it was ok
Shelves: humor, movies, non-fiction
A very funny book that is as much a satire of the movie intelligentsia as it is a guidebook for somebody who wants to become one. Although too short to be a major resource, it still includes plenty of interesting and obscure information. And when your reading the most militant passages, remember: it's tongue-in-cheek.
Niklas Pivic
Sep 21, 2010 Niklas Pivic rated it liked it
Shelves: humor, funny, cinema, snob
Clearly a great book for the snob, and even though I'm not one - though I tend to do my best by purchasing stuff from the Criterion collection - this is a great laugh and funny to see. It provides a birds-eye perspective on the fat world of the film snobs, their likes and dislikes included.
Maile
Jun 24, 2009 Maile rated it liked it
My boss gave me this book, and I read a few entries from time to time. It's pretty funny and lends better summaries to terms like "cinematic apparatus" than I am able to come up with, even after graduate work in film theory. It's worth having if you are a true movie nerd.
Spencer
Aug 13, 2008 Spencer rated it it was amazing
Funny only to snobs. he contrasts a film snob as opposed to a film buff. A film buff loves good movies. A film snob loves knowing about movies far more than he loves the movie watching experience. So true it hurts. ditto the rock snob
Rob
Jan 22, 2008 Rob rated it it was amazing
This is made of awesome, and is so funny because it's so damn true. As a movie critic I read some of it with shame, resolving not to repeat the clichés it goofs on.
Spence
Dec 17, 2007 Spence rated it liked it
This book was incredibly depressing to me. After reading it, I realized I already knew what all those words were.
Lize
Dec 28, 2010 Lize rated it liked it
Shelves: 2008, film
Three years later, I fear all I remember about this book is that I read it on the plane to London.
Mazzi
Aug 11, 2010 Mazzi rated it liked it
Funny little book to read. Some of the facts are amazing.
Beatrice Longbottom
Beatrice Longbottom marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2016
LovelyGirl
LovelyGirl rated it liked it
Sep 17, 2016
Curlysue
Curlysue is currently reading it
Sep 06, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2016
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2016
Chelsey Cosh
Chelsey Cosh marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2016
Raquel
Raquel marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2016
Austin Spalding
Austin Spalding marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2016
Jonathan
Jonathan rated it really liked it
Jul 15, 2016
Word
Word marked it as to-read
May 28, 2016
Eusebio JR  Perez Colon
Eusebio JR Perez Colon rated it it was amazing
May 24, 2016
Marta
Marta marked it as to-read
May 10, 2016
Savannah Jane
Savannah Jane marked it as to-read
May 08, 2016
Phạm Huyền
Phạm Huyền rated it it was amazing
May 07, 2016
  • For Keeps: 30 Years at the Movies
  • My First Movie: Twenty Celebrated Directors Talk about Their First Film
  • I Promessi sposi e Storia della colonna infame
  • Videohound's Cult Flicks and Trash Pics
  • Gilliam on Gilliam (Directors on Directors)
  • The Kill Bill Diary