Start by marking “The Film Snob's Dictionary: An Essential Lexicon of Filmological Knowledge” as Want to Read:
The Film Snob's Dictionary: An Essential Lexicon of Filmological Knowledge

The Film Snob's Dictionary: An Essential Lexicon of Filmological Knowledge

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  167 ratings  ·  14 reviews
From the same brain trust that brought you "The Rock Snob*s Dictionary," the hilarious, bestselling guide to insiderist rock arcana, comes "The Film Snob*s Dictionary," an informative and subversively funny A-to-Z reference guide to all that is held sacred by Film Snobs, those perverse creatures of the repertory cinema. No longer must you suffer silently as some clerk in a ...more
Published February 1st 2006 by Broadway Books

To ask other readers questions about The Film Snob's Dictionary, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Film Snob's Dictionary

Kurt
I grabbed this book from a shelf of free offerings from a local library, thinking (without reading anything in or on the book itself) that I was probably a film snob, and hoping for recommendations. It turns out, this is a book mocking a very specialized type of media consumer. A film snob, as used by the authors of this book, is someone who only likes a certain type of movie, one that is generally so highbrow as to be unwatchable, or so weird as to be unwatchable, or so unwatchable as to be unw ...more
Mikey
Mar 12, 2007 Mikey rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: movie lovers and film snobs alike
Shelves: nonfiction
The Film Snob's Dictionary is a funny and informed collection of takes on films, styles, filmmakers, and trends that are beloved by those guys behind the counter at Hollywood Express. Kamp and Levi are not themselves film snobs, but are clearly knowledgeable about film and have a wide breadth of knowledge about the art form, which leads to straightforward, honest, and humorous insights about Pauline Kael ("nonsensical"), German Expressionism ("despite their cherished place among snobs, actually ...more
Landon
Marina
Un simpatico dizionarietto utile a capire gli snob cinefili. Un po' difficile per chi, come me, non è un grande appassionato di cinema e perciò non sa cogliere tanti riferimenti, ma divertente comunque. Uno su tutti: «Andrei Tarkovsky: Acuto e visionario ma con un senso del ritmo da era della glaciazione: vedere i suoi film è più che altro una scelta di vita.» Peccato mortale Peter Greenaway inserito fra le 10 causes célèbres snob fraudolente. Si vede che un pelino snob lo sono anch'io.
Bryce Wilson
Nov 07, 2007 Bryce Wilson rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: It's all in the title
Shelves: film
Perenial bathroom reading. Good quick bite sized chunks of reading, filled to the brim with interesting facts, useful trivia, and truly funny writing.

Strikes a nice balance, it's funny, but genuinely knowledgeable, it respects its subjects but its not afraid to take the piss out of a sacred cow or two, and it's not afraid to call out the reader for being the type of person to own The Film Snob's Dictionary.
Michael Borshuk
Slight, but entertaining. Like its companion volume The Rock Snob's Dictionary, which I also read and enjoyed, this has the double-value of being a delicious parody of a subculture, even as it functions as a really useful reference for discovering fun aspects of that subculture. Imagine The Preppy Handbook with an emphasis on Tarkovsky and Walter Murch, instead of Lacoste and Topsiders.
James
A very funny book that is as much a satire of the movie intelligentsia as it is a guidebook for somebody who wants to become one. Although too short to be a major resource, it still includes plenty of interesting and obscure information. And when your reading the most militant passages, remember: it's tongue-in-cheek.
Niklas Pivic
Clearly a great book for the snob, and even though I'm not one - though I tend to do my best by purchasing stuff from the Criterion collection - this is a great laugh and funny to see. It provides a birds-eye perspective on the fat world of the film snobs, their likes and dislikes included.
Maile
My boss gave me this book, and I read a few entries from time to time. It's pretty funny and lends better summaries to terms like "cinematic apparatus" than I am able to come up with, even after graduate work in film theory. It's worth having if you are a true movie nerd.
Spencer
Funny only to snobs. he contrasts a film snob as opposed to a film buff. A film buff loves good movies. A film snob loves knowing about movies far more than he loves the movie watching experience. So true it hurts. ditto the rock snob
Rob
This is made of awesome, and is so funny because it's so damn true. As a movie critic I read some of it with shame, resolving not to repeat the clichés it goofs on.
Spence
This book was incredibly depressing to me. After reading it, I realized I already knew what all those words were.
Lize
Dec 28, 2010 Lize rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2008, film
Three years later, I fear all I remember about this book is that I read it on the plane to London.
Mazzi
Funny little book to read. Some of the facts are amazing.
Nathan
Nathan marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2015
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
May 10, 2015
Rita
Rita marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2015
Evan
Evan marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2015
Simmy
Simmy marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2015
Richard
Richard marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2015
Maddalena
Maddalena marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2015
Ozza
Ozza added it
Feb 09, 2015
Carrie Henry
Carrie Henry marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2015
  • Hollywood Babylon II
  • Scorsese on Scorsese
  • The Films in My Life
  • Como Tornar-se Doente Mental
  • Film Art: An Introduction (Seventh Edition)
  • Gilliam on Gilliam (Directors on Directors)
  • Mad Men: the Illustrated World
  • Videohound's Cult Flicks and Trash Pics
  • How I Made A Hundred Movies In Hollywood And Never Lost A Dime
  • Hitchcock on Hitchcock: Selected Writings and Interviews
  • Making Movies
  • Book of the Dead: The Complete History of Zombie Movies: The Complete History of Zombie Cinema
  • On Filmmaking: An Introduction to the Craft of the Director
The United States of Arugula: How We Became a Gourmet Nation The Rock Snob's Dictionary: An Essential Lexicon of Rockological Knowledge The Food Snob's Dictionary: An Essential Lexicon of Gastronomical Knowledge The Wine Snob's Dictionary: An Essential Lexicon of Oenological Knowledge Seit 21 Wochen Nichtraucher. Ein erfolgreicher Selbstversuch.