My Heavenly Hockey Club, Volume 1

My Heavenly Hockey Club, Volume 1 (My Heavenly Hockey Club #1)

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  608 ratings  ·  37 reviews
WHERE THE BOYS ARE!

Hana Suzuki loves only two things in life: eating and sleeping. So when handsome classmate Izumi Oda asks Hana–his major crush–to join the school hockey club, persuading her proves to be a difficult task. True, the Grand Hockey Club is full of boys–and all the boys are super-cute–but given a choice, Hana prefers a sizzling steak to a hot date. Then Izumi...more
Published May 29th 2007 by Del Rey (first published April 13th 2005)

Death Note, Vol. 1 by Tsugumi OhbaFruits Basket, Volume 01 by Natsuki TakayaFullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 01 by Hiromu ArakawaOuran High School Host Club, Vol. 01 by Bisco HatoriVampire Knight, Vol. 01 by Matsuri Hino
Best Manga/Anime Book Ever
247th out of 843 books — 2,393 voters
Fruits Basket, Volume 01 by Natsuki TakayaOuran High School Host Club, Vol. 01 by Bisco HatoriSkip Beat!, Vol. 01 by Yoshiki NakamuraVampire Knight, Vol. 01 by Matsuri HinoSpecial A, Vol. 1 by Maki Minami
Favorite Shoujo Manga
251st out of 562 books — 1,142 voters

More lists with this book...

Crystal
Oct 01, 2007 Crystal rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: crazy humor lovers, bishounen connoisseurs, enjoyers of difficult romance
So I didn't immediately swoop this off the shelves.

"Hockey manga? Unnhhh...," I thought. And, "how could a hockey club be 'heavenly'?"

The cover sported (haha) five bishounen (pretty boys). Well, that IS rather heavenly. And translated manga titles aren't known for their accuracy. (Boys Over Flowers, anyone?)

But my hesitation was all for naught. True, there are hockey --known as lacrosse in the U.S.--scenes, but in the practice casually and play randomly sense.

The main character is a girl who...more
Lesley
Random silliness, goofy characters, hilarious situations - this manga really has no plot, but it is SO FUNNY and sweet that it just doesn't matter. Each volume is more craziness, more teasing about the romance (the heroine is oblivious to everything except food and sleep), and more random fun, and it's seriously great. You'd think all of this would make the manga boring, but nope - I can't wait for each new volume.
Padma
Suzuki Hana, cewek yang hobi tidur dan makan, bisa tidur dimana saja, kapan saja dan pada situasi apapun. Sehari minimal tidur 10 jam. Bahkan motivasinya belajar dengan giat supaya diterima di SMA nya sekarang ini adalah tidak lain untuk menambah jam tidurnya, karena jarak tempuh rumah-sekolah cuma 3 menit dengan jalan kaki. Karena suatu "insiden", Hana terpaksa gabung ke klub Hockey atas paksaan si ketua, Izumi. Namanya aja yang klub Hockey, tapi kegiatan klub yang anggotanya 5 cowok kaya ini i...more
Amytha
Manga about a lazy girl who likes to sleep!
Kelly
I was a tad skeptical about this one, but I was pleasantly surprised. For anybody who enjoyed Ouran High School Host Club, this manga will be very entertaining. Just by looking at the cover, you can see the parallels. Main girl, The Twins (likely for comedic relief), The Guy With Glasses (runs the show, often brooding), The Cute One (will be main potential love interest for main girl), and The Number Two (also cute, but not as popular as the Main Guy, competition for main girl). Each one is in O...more
Marielle
I REALLY LOVED this manga! It is extremely similar to Ouran High School Host Club, but a tad different. I LOVED Hana's character, as well as Izumi's. Overall, the one thing that really stuck out to me was the comedy. It's SO FREAKING HILARIOUS I CAN'T EVEN. I seriously laughed out loud multiple times and my roommate looked at me like I was a crazy person, but it was SO WORTH IT!! And may I just say that one of the jokes involves a monkey... yes, a live monkey... THIS IS COMEDY GOLD, PEOPLE!!
Cheyenne
Also known as Gokuraku Seishun Hockey Club. I've read three out of fourteen volumes so far. There really isn't any plot in the story so it's a chapter by chapter type as I like to call them. The characters aren't that appealing either. I can't say I dislike them, but I just don't care about them. It was slightly humorous though despite that. Probably it's only redeeming quality. I highly suggest reading Ouran High School Host Club if you haven't already if you don't like this or perhaps especial...more
Hannah Onderdonk
If you are in search of a laugh out loud comedy, romance, or maybe you are just a big fan of the traditional manga artwork, then I strongly recommend that you read "My Heavenly Hockey Club." In this well written manga, high school student Hana's preferably lazy life is turned upside down when she is forced to join her prestigious school's Boys' Hockey Club, thereof replacing her one hobby; sleeping. Also know as the traveling club, the hockey club only goes to away meets(often vacationing, becau...more
Kayla Eklund
I read the first few books in this series in high school. I remember loving it, although I don't remember much about it. It might be time for a reread soon.
Kathleen
I wanted this to be a hockey Hikaru no Go, with lots of hockey shenanigans and hockey problems to be solved. It is not. In fact, this is much more like a tamer Ouran Host Club, which is fine because reverse harem antics are always fun. This is a decent manga and I recommend it to people who like shojo.
Dilla Nanditya
Udah tau lama sih, dan udah pernah baca juga. Tapi reread gitu deh. Gambarnya bagus dan ceritanya juga lucu. Kalau menurutku mirip sih sama Ouran High School Host Club; ceritanya sama-sama tentang anak cewek yang dipaksa sama cowok kaya untuk masuk ke sebuah klub yang isinya cowok semua. Dan kedua cewek itu sama-sama kudu nyamar jadi cowok. Bedanya, Hana di MHHC cuma nyamar jadi cowok saat pertandingan hoki, kalau Haruhi di OHSHC all time nyamar jadi cowok. Bedanya juga, Haruhi tuh anak rajin se...more
Ysabet
This probably isn't a title I would have picked up (thank you, Chapters, for your policy of allowing people to shamelessly read in the store--but I have a copy on its way!) if I'd only read the back cover copy, but I wanted to check it out on the grounds of it being the first manga volume that Alethea and Athena Nibley adapted as well as translated. ^_^ The story didn't jump up and grab me, but it was a fun read, and the adaptation is smooth while retaining the feel of a very faithful rendering.
Ashley Brooke
Jan 14, 2008 Ashley Brooke rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Host Club Fans
What a surprise! I'll be honest-- I'm not huge into stories without a lot of romance. Give me a good dose of love triangles and I'm set. That's why I was very surprised when this story, filled with gags and very little of the love bug, had me laughing page after page.

For fans of sports manga-- I don't recommend this title. They rarely play field hockey. It is more like Host Club than a hard core sports manga.

Try it out, you might enjoy it!

Syifa Adiba
Hahaha. Komik ini adalah komik paling absurd yang pernah gue baca. Kocak, aneh, ajaib. Semuanya ada di komik ini. Cuma dewasanya aja yang nggak ada. #plak.

Buat kalian penggemar komik dengan karakter cowok ganteng, inilah komik yang bisa bikin kalian deg-degan berkali-kali. Nggak cuma karena ganteng aja. Tapi, orang ganteng pun kadang-kadang bisa agak 'kurang waras' juga ya?

Bintang 5 deh! Nggak lain dan nggak bukan! Hidup tukang tahu!
Cathrine
its like OHSHC meets Hana Kimi meets Fruits Basket.
it is cool
Ayu
Mar 13, 2008 Ayu rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: manga
saya beli karena mengira ini cerita tentang seorang cewek yang dikeliling oleh para pengeran tampan *lagi pengen baca manga yang menjual mimpi manis, halah*.

well, memang cerita tentang cewek yang dikelilingi para cowok.. tapi yang ini ngaco banget nget nget! charming prince-nya nggak charming *hayah* tokoh utama ceweknya benar-benar memalukan... hahaha... manga ini lucu banget!

jadi pengen baca vol berikutnyaw
Jim
my fault for picking this up based only on the title. the sharks are in the news, opening night was a few days ago, they'll win their division blahblahblah. anyway i'm thinking ice hockey and this is something called field hockey. basic story: a sleep deprived h.s. student gets stuck on the school boys field hockey team, she likes food she has small breasts and sleeps w/a bear.
Amy
Character design reminds me of Ouran (cute twin boys, rich leader who doesn't have a clue, bespectacled responsible guy, poor girl who needs to pay off something she wrecked) but the art and storyline is rougher. Ai Morinaga does comedy well--this got a few chuckles out of me, so I decided to go with 4 stars (rounding up from the 3.5 I'd give it) =D
Dorcas
Aug 19, 2007 Dorcas rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: school life, contrary girl attitudes
Thoughts:
I wasn't prepared to like this as much as I did. It was much more fun than the at times depressing Yamada monogatari story about the super poor Yamada family with loads of kids. It does remind me a bit of Ouran High School Host Club though with the same sort of character roles. Hana Suzuki is just a bit more into sleeping.
Noah Soudrette
Dec 10, 2007 Noah Soudrette rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: manga fans
Shelves: manga
This is a really funny manga and it's main character, Hana, is a girl after my own heart. Her two loves are food and sleep. There's no heavy handed romantic crap here either, thank Cthulhu. There's also very little hockey. Plus you get so see a bear in a goalie outfit! Great!
Susan
Why the bear, Morinaga-sensei?

Still, I have a soft spot in my cold, black heart for shojo heroines who go so completely against the grain--although there are getting to be enough of them that they make a category in and of themselves.
Steven
Ai Morinaga is awesome, it's a shame that her other series stopped being published by other American publishers. I hope DelRey can keep this going until she's done.
Lord
Jul 15, 2008 Lord rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: manga
Generic manga with generic artwork and below generic characters. Or do yo remember the boys' names?
Helna
Aug 07, 2011 Helna rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: manga
Baca manga ini bikin ketawa mulu, ngaco, konyol dan malu-maluin dah karakternya. LUCU :D
Kelly
Cute and reminds me a lot of Ouran High School Host Club which is always a plus.
Chelsea
This seems like a really fun series filled with entertaining and unique characters.
Indah Threez Lestari
#Program BUBU

Pertama kali dibeli dan dibaca pada tanggal 5 Maret 2008.
April
May 19, 2011 April rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: manga
i can relate to wanting to sleep all the time and eat cheesecake and bentos!
Kaits
extremely similar to ouran host club. except changes in personalities
Lүη∂sεү
I really liked this but there were some innapropriate parts :/
  • Penguin Revolution: Volume 1
  • Love Attack, Volume 1
  • Tenshi Ja Nai!! (I'm No Angel), Vol. 1 (Tenshi Ja Nai, #1)
  • Happy Hustle High, Vol. 1
  • Oresama Teacher , Vol. 1
  • Mugen Spiral, Vol. 01
  • He's Dedicated to Roses, Vol. 1
  • Stray Love Hearts, Vol. 01
  • Saint Dragon Girl, Vol. 01
  • Nosatsu Junkie, Volume 1
  • W Juliet, Vol. 1
  • Pretear, Vol. 1 (Pretear, #1)
  • Hana-Kimi, Vol. 17 (Hana-Kimi, #17)
  • Otomen, Vol. 11 (Otomen, #11)
  • The Story of Saiunkoku, Vol. 1
  • Crimson Hero, Vol. 1 (Crimson Hero, # 1)
  • Kill Me, Kiss Me Volume 1 (Kill Me, Kiss Me, #1)
  • Honey Hunt, Vol. 1
My Heavenly Hockey Club, Volume 2 Your and My Secret: Volume 1 (Your and My Secret, #1) My Heavenly Hockey Club, Volume 3 My Heavenly Hockey Club, Volume 4 My Heavenly Hockey Club, Volume 5