Start by marking “Zinn & the Art of Mountain Bike Maintenance” as Want to Read:
Zinn & the Art of Mountain Bike Maintenance

Zinn & the Art of Mountain Bike Maintenance

The most concise, well-organized, and clearly illustrated reference available, Zinn and the Art of Mountain Bike Maintenance gently guides the reader - regardless of mountain bike experience or mechanical prowess - through every aspect of maintenance, repair, and troubleshooting in a succinct and easy-to-read format and presents the latest technological advances and equipm ...more
Published May 1st 2005 by VeloPress

To ask other readers questions about Zinn & the Art of Mountain Bike Maintenance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Zinn & the Art of Mountain Bike Maintenance

Jamie Holcomb
Jun 02, 2016 Jamie Holcomb rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction, 2016, diy
Detailed and helpful for hybrid bikes as well as mountain bikes. I have two main problems with getting bike repair info from the Internet. One, it's like drinking from a fire hose; too much at once. Two, half the time I don't even know what I need to look up. A book like this is extremely helpful for me because it is organized (unlike a Google search) and has a helpful sequencing of tasks, which are ranked from one wrench to three wrenches. And that also corresponds to the tool kit given in the ...more
Budd Turner
Jan 21, 2016 Budd Turner rated it really liked it
More than you'll ever want/need to know about caring for your mountain bike.
This will be an ongoing reference, as needed...which is often.
Dan Martinez
Apr 24, 2008 Dan Martinez rated it really liked it
Shelves: reference
With this book in hand I went, in the space of a summer, from being someone who barely knew how to fix a flat to being someone who stripped his bike down to the frame and replaced every last component for the sheer fun of it.

It's written with deep love and knowledge of the subject, accompanied by hundreds of simple, clear illustrations.

I cannot recommend this book highly enough. If you have a mountain bike, and want it to be something other than a black box that you pay the folks down at the sho
Paul  Perry
My bible of bike repair and maintenance. Zinn not only knows everything about bikes, he explains what to do in a wonderfully clear, concise manner, easy to read and understand and sprinkled with a little humour. The book covers everything from basic maintenance, through emergency repairs to stuff that almost everyone will take the bike to the repair shop for. Add to this an excellent set of appendices, troubleshooting tips and a superb index, and this book should be on the shelf of any mountain ...more
Keith Kendall
Apr 17, 2011 Keith Kendall rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: off road cyclist
Bought and read the same day. The first few chapters were fascinating. Especially Chapter 3 "Emergency repairs: How to get home when something big breaks or you get hurt." That chapter made the book, and I had to read the rest of it right away.

In truth, I skim read much of the rest of the book. I really don't need to read right now details such as how to repair all the different kinds of front shocks that have been made. Again, the chapter on emergency repairs really made the book.
Mark
Jul 29, 2011 Mark rated it really liked it
Probably the more-referenced of the two bike repair books on my shelf. Tells you just what you need to do, why, and when to do it. If I had to pick on over the other it would be this one. Being someone who bikes every day (and has dropped sixty pounds over the past two years to prove it) this is indispensable, since whatever can go wrong with your bike probably WILL go wrong, if you're not watching...
David
Jun 07, 2010 David rated it it was amazing
Shelves: baruch-2009-2010
I had eyed this book for a while since we have copies of it sitting in the shop that i work at. To say the least, this was informative to even myself, a seasoned bicycle mechanic who has worked in a shop for over a year and has worked on bikes my entire lifetime. The knowledge is down to earth and available, and there is not one page that goes to waste.
Matthew
Nov 29, 2010 Matthew rated it really liked it
I really just wanted to know how to properly adjust a front derailluer, but it's great to learn the "right" way to do basic bike maintenance. Plus it's got me covered for any future upgrades/repairs. Nicely illustrated and comfortably written.
Danette
May 01, 2012 Danette rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: how-to
On its own the walk through of any repair is easy to understand. Pair this book with any video you find on YouTube and you are able to fix anything that could possibly go wrong on the bike! I now know more than my husband! LOL
Stewart
Jun 20, 2012 Stewart rated it really liked it
In my opinion, this is one of the best bike maintenance manuals available. It is simple enough for the average Joe but is thorough and complete. Very good stuff.
Chris
Dec 09, 2008 Chris rated it really liked it
This is an invaluable resource for anyone that wants to get more involved with taking care of his/her bike.

Mine has my greasy fingerprints all over it!
Aaronlindberg
Jul 09, 2013 Aaronlindberg rated it it was amazing
Great info, as a bike self maintenance beginner I learned a ton from this book. If you are a beginner like me, start here with this guide.
Justin
This is an indespensible book for those inclined to do their own bicycle maintenance. If you ride a bike at all, you need this book!
Michael
Sep 04, 2007 Michael marked it as to-read
Steve, the most avid biker of the FioLab group, recommended this book to me. I'll read it when I get back from Australia.
Margarita
Jul 31, 2008 Margarita rated it really liked it
great MTB reference book. The dvd that came with it is good too, but they could have improved the quality of filming
B. Doane
Oct 07, 2013 B. Doane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mountain bike owners
EXTREMELY HELPFUL I highly recomend it to anyone who owns a mountain bike. It's saved mine on many occassions.
Melissa
May 04, 2012 Melissa rated it it was amazing
This is the best book for Mountain Bike maintenance. An excellent reference.
Laurel
Oct 01, 2007 Laurel added it
I will be quite effing pleased if and when I manage to fix my bicycle.
Chris
Oct 28, 2013 Chris rated it it was amazing
Excellent, clear and easy to understand.
david evans
Sep 02, 2008 david evans rated it it was amazing
The bible; nothing like it
Leah W-F
Jan 30, 2015 Leah W-F rated it really liked it
Shelves: how-to
I have a new old bike.
Jason Cordero
Apr 01, 2013 Jason Cordero rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Consider it a bible.
Angie
Aug 12, 2010 Angie is currently reading it
Super comprehensible guide for people who don't want some asshole at a bike shop to rip them off when doing repairs. Very entertaining and informative.
Joshua DeLanoy
Joshua DeLanoy marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2016
Hien
Hien marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2016
Stuart Haresnape
Stuart Haresnape rated it it was amazing
Sep 17, 2016
Julia
Julia marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2016
Svetoslav Ilkov
Svetoslav Ilkov rated it it was amazing
Sep 13, 2016
Yannick Gohourou
Yannick Gohourou rated it it was amazing
Sep 05, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2016
  • Stretching
  • The Bicycle Wheel
  • Proficient Motorcycling: The Ultimate Guide to Riding Well
  • More Elm Creek Quilts: 30+ Traditional Blocks, 11 Projects, Favorite Character Sketches
  • Where's Mom Now That I Need Her?: Surviving Away from Home
  • The World of Mathematics Set
  • Aircraft Design: A Conceptual Approach
  • Breathing In, Breathing Out: Keeping a Writer's Notebook

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »