Start by marking “Dreamhouse” as Want to Read:
Dreamhouse

Dreamhouse

3.59  ·  Rating Details  ·  106 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
(All Celia Small has ever done is dream of her engagement, and now that the big day's come she can slip into her special dress and start the party. But two of her hated housemates are also having parties tonight, quite different from her own quiet family affair)
Published October 22nd 1997 by Minerva (first published March 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Dreamhouse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dreamhouse

Nafiza
If you are lucky, you will come across scrumptious books like Dreamhouse at least once in your lifetime. A loose (adult) retelling of Alice in Wonderland, Habens, in a stroke of pure genius, reinvents all the characters in Alice in Wonderland giving them a distinctly human hue that retains all the craziness that characterizes the denizens of Wonderland. Dreamhouse is a treat for the evil little girl in you who loves irreverent situations, who delights in crazy retellings and who simply loves a s ...more
Neula
Nov 13, 2012 Neula rated it really liked it
My 20 year old self is giving this book 5 stars.

My 37 year old is re-reading it for the first time in ten years to see if it's as good as my 20 year old self says it is.

The tale is this: Celia Small has dreamed of a white wedding since her first pink crayon drawing of a bridesmaids dress, and tonight her dream is finally coming true - she's hosting the engagement dinner of her dreams. But unbeknownst to Celia two of her hated house-mates are having parties on the same night, and when Celia acc
Crystal
Aug 12, 2015 Crystal rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-read
Received as a Goodreads First Read. I had a hard time staying engaged with the story. It's supposed to be an alternative version of Lewis Carroll's "Alice in Wonderland," and while I could see some similarities, I didn't find it as interesting. Since it is advertised as such, I found myself trying to find the similarities and getting caught up in the differences, rather than fully immersing myself in the story. Ultimately, it was a struggle to read.
Lisa
Jul 13, 2015 Lisa marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I've been trying to remember what this book was for YEARS.

I read this when I was 13 or so. I remember it being weird as hell, and I'm not sure I ever finished it.
Pamela
Feb 04, 2016 Pamela rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: give-aways
Received free copy from goodreads First Reads. Lauded as a modern day Alice In Wonderland. Protagonist is a young woman who has been planning her engagement since she was in diapers (or almost). She shares a flat with a menagerie of characters that create havoc for her much anticipated engagement celebration. Although there are clever word word play, the plot is slow and wanders. Wished I had stopped after the 2nd chapter.
Pam Mooney
Aug 12, 2015 Pam Mooney rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Smart, clever, and entertaining. This is the kind of book I like on the beach - just relax and enjoy the ride. I loved the Alice in Wonderland parallel that brought me back to my youth. A good read.
Lucy
Dec 15, 2007 Lucy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Strange book. Compared on its jacket to Lewis Carroll and characters from that book are in her book. It does have a surreal quality but not in a different world like Wonderland.
Laureen
Dec 05, 2011 Laureen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fairy-tale-like
huh? this book was so trippy! I'm not sure if I liked it or not. I still don't know what went on and how it ended... will have to talk to my boss about this one!
Brian Williams
Nov 20, 2013 Brian Williams rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this a long time ago; smart, funny, contemporary Alice in Wonderland tale...really liked it, but lost the book. Need to get it.
Tim Gaskill
Clever wordplay, but ultimately a slight book with some amusing moments. For Alice in Wonderland fans possibly.
Diane
Sep 09, 2011 Diane rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This sounded like a very fun book from the jacket covers description but it fell very short of my expectations.
Anna
Apr 23, 2010 Anna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Alice in Wonderland, on drugs.
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
May 05, 2016
Abbey
Abbey marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2016
Cindy
Cindy marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2016
Dana
Dana marked it as to-read
Feb 29, 2016
Adam Dunnells
Adam Dunnells marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2016
Chloe
Chloe added it
Jan 26, 2016
Erica Coffin
Erica Coffin rated it really liked it
Jan 09, 2016
Laurel L. Perez
Laurel L. Perez marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2016
Andrea
Andrea rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2016
Kristinne  Nigel
Kristinne Nigel marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2016
April Smith
April Smith rated it it was amazing
Dec 30, 2015
Hasen Hull
Hasen Hull rated it liked it
Dec 19, 2015
Victoria Wilton
Victoria Wilton marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2015
Hannah Pivo
Hannah Pivo marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2015
Lydia Gordon
Lydia Gordon marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2015
Felix Galvan
Felix Galvan rated it it was amazing
Sep 12, 2015
Helen Davies
Helen Davies rated it it was ok
Aug 20, 2015
  • Jean Rhys: The Complete Novels (Voyage in the Dark, Quartet, After Leaving Mr Mackenzie, Good Morning, Midnight, Wide Sargasso Sea)
  • John Dollar
  • Twirty-Something: A Young Woman's Guide to Giant Underwear
  • Ninepins
  • Flora's Fury (Flora Trilogy, #3)
  • Steaming
  • Zoo
  • أنوبيس
  • Going Gently
  • A Little Learning
  • I Used to Miss Him...But My Aim Is Improving: Not Your Ordinary Breakup Survival Guide
  • The Most Boring Book Ever Written
  • In the Meantime
Alison Habens is best known for Dreamhouse, a 1990s cult novel with a feminist/psychedelic/literary buzz, based on Alice in Wonderland. The book has its own ‘coming of age’ alongside Lewis Carroll’s centenary this year; and there’ll be a giveaway of pristine first editions on Goodreads.
Alison has written pretty much every day since it was published, with two further novels, Lifestory and Family O
More about Alison Habens...