Start by marking “Naked Face” as Want to Read:
Naked Face

Sidney Sheldon

Naked Face

3.48 of 5 stars 3.48  ·  rating details  ·  11,022 ratings  ·  285 reviews

Judd Stevens is a psychoanalyst faced with the most critical case of his life.

If he does not penetrate the mind of a murderer he will find himself arrested for murder or murdered himself...

Two people closely involved with Dr. Stevens have already been killed. Is one of the doctor's patients responsible? Someone overwhelmed by his problems? A neurotic driven by compulsion?

Mass Market Paperback, 0 pages
Published by Not Avail (first published 1970)

To ask other readers questions about Naked Face, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Naked Face

Kwesi 章英狮
When I was in high school I was surrounded by readers and they enjoyed reading Sidney Sheldon's books. Seriously, every recess or break time one of those Sidney Sheldon readers will sit beside you or in the corner and shouting and screaming. So I always curious of his works, and I tried one of his novel and it was good. Well, I was still young that time but I never been hooked reading Sheldon books.

If I have time, I go to bookstores or online bookstores to buy some Sidney Sheldon's books. But I
Monica
Wow!! Is all I could say when I read the first chapter of The Naked Face. This book captures your attention in the first chapter. I picked the book up at the library mainly to get a feel for the author Sidney Sheldon. I own a few of his books and wasn't sure about reading them. After reading The Naked Face I know that I will be reading his other books too.

The Naked Face starts out with a man happy because he is going to be going home to his wife and letting her know that what happened in the pas
Salymar
After reading some of the famous awe-inspiring novels by great authors, I finally read something breath-taking!

This is a mystery novel about a famous psycho-analyst, Dr. Stevens. He was haplessly suspected of murdering his receptionist Carol Roberts and his patient, John Hanson. The only way to find out that he is innocent is that he has to gather evidences and by all means, he must find a person who trust him. At the middle of the story he hired a private investigator, Mr Norman Moody.

I love h
Stuart
It's a murder mystery with a psycho-analyst protagonist. Freudian psycho-analysis has been largely discredited in the world of psychology, but even if it hadn't been, I'm sure that Sheldon has butchered a number of the concepts behind it. The book is generally trash, with silly one-dimensional characters. It does keep you guessing about who the killer is, but it's not the totally suspenseful thrill-ride that it's cover promises. I think it was Sheldon's first novel. Maybe his others are better. ...more
Katharina
Sheldon's first novel. My ninth read. The book was well-written. It is simple and easy-to-read. I must admit that I found it quite offensive reading the words "he was a homosexual" followerd by "he was cured". We should all know by now that homosexuality is not a disease that can be cured, and it was disappointing to read from the words of my favorite novelist. But I just took a mental note of it and kept reading, making sure that part wouldn't affect my judgment on the novel as a whole. So the ...more
Viktorija Bondikjova
Excellent book.Every page is interesting.Surprising ending.
Mary
Feb 08, 2013 Mary rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes contemporary mysteries
Recommended to Mary by: Library Book Sale
John Hanson died quickly - with a knife in his back. Carol Roberts was next to die - she was covered with acid and tortured to death. Dr. Judd Stevens is a psychoanalyst who is facing the most critical case of his life. John and Carol were both closely associated with Dr. Stevens at one time, and if he doesn't penetrate the mind of a murderer he will either find himself arrested for murder or the killer's next victim.

Is one of the doctor's patients responsible? Someone overwhelmed by his problem
Charles
It is not that 'The Naked Face' is a mediocre book at all, there are some instances of exceptional narrative that makes one believe why Sheldon rose to narrative superstardom. On the back cover of the book, the Daily Telegraph commented that 'suspense could hardly be greater', and in many instances I would agree.

First of all, I'm not very accustomed to reading books of this sort (mystery, thriller and so on). What that means is that I had no idea who the perpetrator of all the gruesome murders w
Harish Kumar Sarma Challapalli
Dr. Judd Stevens, M.D., is a caring and
successful Manhattan psychoanalyst who must
face a horrific prospect; someone is trying to
kill him. First, John Hanson, a patient trying
overcome his homosexuality, is brutally
murdered, perhaps because he was mistaken
for Stevens. Not long after, Carol Roberts,
Stevens' secretary, is also found murdered.
The police, partly due to anger with Stevens
testimony in a previous case, are quick to
treat Stevens as the prime suspect. To prove
his innocence and track down t
Parva 'chhanu'
Dr. Judd Stevens is a successful psychoanalyst in Manhattan. Listening to people and helping them out by connecting with them mentally and psychologically is his job. Talking about emotions, he is also falling in love with one of his mysterious patient: Annie.

Suddenly, John Hanson, one of Judd’s patients was mistaken for him and murdered. The same day, Judd’s secretary, Carol is found killed in the office. Two detectives, Angeli and McGreavy are assigned to the murder cases but to McGreavy, Jud
Samra Muslim
Another cliffhanger ... equally nail biting as the rest of his work!!
alhafizol
This is such a page turner and I just simply cannot put down this book. This book is brilliantly crafted by Sidney Sheldon and no doubt that he is one of the master of story telling. The naked Face is a fast pace psychological action thriller with the twists here and there. The story begins when two police detectives, McGreavy and Angeli came over to Dr. Stevens' clinic to investigate the murder of one of his patients. He was interrogated as if he is the murder and this made Dr. Stevens a bit te ...more
Pratima Das
This book is about a psychoanalyst called Judd, who works in a office in New York, and has an assistant called Carol who used to be prostitute.
One day a few days before Christmas, one of his patients(who was a homosexual) is found dead, wearing Judd's raincoat, and just the day after that, Carol is also found dead. Judd calls the police n investigations keep going on.Judd thinks it was probably to kill him.
He had this patient called Anne, who was married, but Judd loved her. After she left, when
Graceann
Apr 06, 2011 Graceann rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nobody; avoid
This was one of Sidney Sheldon's first novels (if not THE first). It came out in 1971, and it has not aged well at all. Psychoanalyst Judd Stephens finds himself in the middle of a murder mystery and as the web tightens around him, he struggles to use his knowledge of human behavior in order to out-think the killer or killers.

However, the out-moded, idiotic beliefs regarding sexuality and the uber-70s dialogue "let's rap," "he was groovy," just makes the whole thing ludicrous. Further, regardle
Meghant Parmar
A psychoanalyst is mystified when one of his patients is murdered in broad day light and the police comes questioning to his door. But it becomes more complex with time as some more murders ultimately lead up to the conclusion that his own life is in danger. But who is it and what is the personal vendetta behind these spine chilling murders and numerous attempts at his life? Will the mystery ever be solved or Dr. Judd Stevens become one of the victims?

The more you think about the story the more
Mehak Oberoi
I had read all the sidney sheldon novels years ago. Somehow a book or two of his slipped by. So i picked them up with the same nail biting enthusiasm and curiosity as i had felt then. But to my horror, i could barely manage to let my fingers turn over to the next page. The Naked Face is an immense disappointment for all sidney sheldon lovers. It just does not manage to enthuse the slightest inquisitiveness for the alleged suspense he tried to built around this hideous plot.
Ajeng Sugiarti
Mungkin kalo kamu belum baca buku-buku Sheldon yang laen The Naked Face bakal kerasa menegangkan atau apa. Tapi aku udah baca beberapa karya Sheldon sebelum baca ini, dan The Naked Face jadi gampang ditebak akhirnya. I mean, come on... Aren't Sidney Sheldon books supposed to be thrilling and unpredictable?? Mungkin setelah terbiasa dengan karya-karya Sidney Sheldon, kamu bakal bisa dengan gampang nebak jalan ceritanya. Supposed to be unpredictable or not. ('-_-)a
Ishan
This was my first sidney sheldon novel and i loathed it for the stupid story.
also he has made sure that all the reasoning goes to hell. Some parts doesn't even make sense.
hope his other novels are better than this.
P.S. : starting was good but as the plot was not strong enough he coudn't finish the novel in a better way and in the end it dragged on and on. This one sucks at the plot as well as at some characters.
Lolliepop
This is his first book that I read that was not concerning about strong woman in it.I found it is interesting to read something different,but come to think of it, I like his other books better.For me,this book is flat and quite predictable.However, it is good for this was his first book.I am really looking forward to reading his other best seller books!!
Rohit Jain
The nacked face, my first sidney sheldon novel. An interesting read, irresistable at first but the interest slowly dwindles as the story heads towards the climax.
Its an easy to read, infact a perfect novel for a beginner. I covered the book in about 3 days. The story has an interesting plot as the protagnist Dr. Judd Stevens, a renowned pshycoanalyst fights for his survival. The book uses some harsh language and portrays the mindset of the society in 1970's i.e. when the book was first published
Tracy
Hard to put down. Scary story of how a psychoanalyst is entangled with and affected by one of his patients and needs to /should be able to figure out which. Love the insight the writer clearly has. Found the ratings on this book widly varied! Alot of 1 and 2 stars! Funny. No guarantee you will like it.
Andre
I have read most books by Sidney Sheldon, and it's interesting reading this one, which was his very first work of fiction, after reading all his masterpieces. It's a good story and it shows elements of the kind of writer he was to become. His trademark hooks in every couple of pages is there, as well as unpredictable twists and a hyped-up ending. The main character is no Kate Blackwell or Noelle Page, but he has a brilliant and impressive mind which makes up for his less-than-captivating persona ...more
Tina (BloomingKnitter)
Well, I always thought I had read this book about 25 years ago, but for the life of my I didn't remember one single thing in the book. I did enjoy it either way.

Rovi Yuno
The book had moments. Unang beses kong makabasa ng gawa nya na lalaki ang bida. Nakakapanibago. But it was well thought and I learned a lot.
Pilbara Girl
Fantastic, read this in two hours, it really captured me and the pages kept turning.

Was surprised by the two police, was a little puzzled with the ending - found that quite far fetched - think he'd be in a worse situation for what happened at the end of the story (very hard to not give story away, so I'll leave it at that).

Do wonder why he went into so much detail about his receptionist, given she wasn't in it too long.

All in all a good read, and I still have a little pile of Sidney Sheldon boo
Esther Echendu henderson
" Civilization was thin, dangerously fragile veneer, and when that veneer cracked, a man became one of the beasts again, falling back into the slime of the primeval abyss he prided himself on having climbed up from".

This novel sheds light on the hidden world of an analyst's couch. If you want to have a glimpse of how the minds of (in Dr Stevens words) "somatic, hypophrenic, schizoid, cycloid" function, then grab a copy and strap yourself in! Very gripping like all Sidney Sheldon's.
Not forgetting
Vaishnavi Hardas
Ok.Plot constructed well but climax is predicatable.
Gwilym
The only thing that lets down this easy read paperback is the age - but even that isn't a problem if you consider as a novel of the time and treat it accordingly. There are turns of phrase or attitudes alien to the modern reader but these work for more enjoyment, if you are reading it as a social history, too.

Sheldon crafted a plot that is a little slow to start but once in full flow, develops into a real page turner. We are taken on a rollercoaster ride of suspicion identifying suspect after su
Dani Noviandi
Wow, baru baca lagi bukunya Sidney Sheldon setelah sekian lama. Terakhir baca zaman kuliah dulu yang “Are You Afraid of the Dark?”, soalnya buku ini dulu gembar-gembor di gramedia gencar banget, dan ternyata memang seru. Sekarang buku yang telah selesai saya baca adalah buku pertama beliau, The Naked Face alias Wajah Sang Pembunuh. Pertama terbit tahun 1970 dan diterbitkan di Indonesia pada 1979 untuk pertama kalinya. Edisi yang saya baca merupakan cetakan keempat pada bulan Juni 1991.

Bercerita
Wilson
Thought-provoking...

I wish that I had read this book during my High School days. If I only had, then I would have used my lunch money to buy more Sidney Sheldon books.

The reason why I did not read the book is because back then, I thought that “Sidney Sheldon” was a female author. Man, I hate female authors when I was a teenager. I thought they were just good for fairy tales and chic novels! But of course, this has already changed. As I grew, I was able to let go of my indignation against female
  • The Almighty
  • Shall We Tell the President? (Kane & Abel, #3)
  • An Isolated Incident
  • Secrets
  • Man, Woman, and Child
  • Class Reunion
  • Loose Change: Three Women of the Sixties
  • The Power Broker (Christian Gillette, #3)
  • The Case of the Caretaker's Cat  (A Perry Mason Mystery)
  • Harvest
Was an American writer who won awards in three careers—a Broadway playwright, a Hollywood TV and movie screenwriter, and a best-selling novelist. His TV works spanned a 20-year period during which he created I Dream of Jeannie (1965-70), Hart to Hart (1979-84), and The Patty Duke Show (1963-66), but it was not until after he turned 50 and began writing best-selling novels such as Master of the Gam ...more
More about Sidney Sheldon...
If Tomorrow Comes Master of the Game The Other Side of Midnight Tell Me Your Dreams Rage of Angels

“Life is a very thin thread and it only takes a second to snap it” 9 likes
“Kalau begitu mengapa dia tidak dikurung lama berselang?”
“Karena dia memakai topeng?”
“Apa maksud anda, Dokter?”
“Kita semua memakai topeng, Angeli. Sejak kita meninggalkan masa kanak-kanak, kita sudah diajar untuk menyembunyikan perasaan kita yang sebenarnya. Kita sudah diajar untuk menutup-nutupi kebencian dan ketakutan kita. “ Suara Judd penuh wibawa. “Tapi di bawah tekanan, Don Vinton akan menjatuhkan topeng dan memperlihatkan wajahnya yang telanjang.”
4 likes