Start by marking “I Am Papa Snap and These Are My Favorite No Such Stories” as Want to Read:
I Am Papa Snap and These Are My Favorite No Such Stories

I Am Papa Snap and These Are My Favorite No Such Stories

A collection of nonsense stories in which Papa Snap is eaten by a sofa, Uncle Rimsky lights his cigars with dragons, Mrs. Maroon irons her laundry with a steam roller, and Mr. Tuber Sprout gets up to miss the train every morning.
Published April 1st 1999 by Roberts Rinehart Publishers (first published January 28th 1973)

Be the first to ask a question about I Am Papa Snap and These Are My Favorite No Such Stories

Jul 28, 2007 Laura rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
If you want your kids to develop a good sense of the absurd, go buy them this book of very short, and very bizarre, stories. The first story goes, in its entirety, "Bunny Bunson Brittle goes fishing. He has no permit. Who cares? There are no fish." The prose isn't quite done justice without the illustrations, but you get the idea. I've had to replace this book a bunch of times over the years since I first read it in about 1973 or so, because people keep stealing it from me. And I don't have kids ...more
alissa
Feb 19, 2010 alissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've been wondering FOR YEARS if this book existed or if I dreamed it up. I went to the Tomi Ungerer exhibit at the Marseille Library (one of them, anyway) and found out IT DOES EXIST! The couch that eats people!
Manny
Jun 18, 2011 Manny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very funny absurdist short stories for people of age 4 upwards, accompanied by Ungerer's inimitable illustrations. My favorite was the man who buys his wife a steam-roller as a silver wedding anniversary present. (She uses it to do the ironing and make pizza; the picture is marvelous). I also liked the bad kid who goes to sea in a bathtub and sinks a battleship with his catapult, and the careless aviator, who bales out of his burning plane and then realizes he's left his parachute behind in the ...more
Stacey
Sep 12, 2011 Stacey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
One day Papa Snap heard of a very hungry sofa, owned by a Mr. Mulch. "What a wonderful No Such Story that would make!" he thought. That same night Papa Snap paid a visit to Mr. Mulch, and was never seen again. Someday I will have a band called Papa Snap. . . I love how irreverent this book is. I just read about Tomi Ungerer recently, so I didn't know much about his books. He was good friends with Maurice Sendak and Shel Silverstein. The three authors have a very distinct sense of humor, enough o ...more
Connie
May 15, 2010 Connie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So, this isn't really a collection of stories. Each story is very short - one or two pages - and not much happens. For example, there's one about a man who always runs to catch the train, but always misses it. The train runs five minutes faster than his clock at home. But that's all right, at least he never has to go to work.

And yet, it works. These are "stories" that wouldn't work in most situations, but they work here. Go figure.
Aran Johnson
I have been reading this oddball collection of mini-stories to my child off and on since he was 2. He is just now, at age 7, appreciating the ironic humor of the book. Some of it is reminiscent of Monty Python, while other stories are surprisingly contemplative. I had this book as a child and remember still liking it even as a teenager.
Emma
How have I never heard of this guy before? These stories are going to be a bit much for our 2yo I think, but I can't wait to get to them. They're nuts, absolute crackers.
Judith Eve
Judith Eve rated it it was amazing
Dec 08, 2012
Kilian
Kilian rated it really liked it
Jan 19, 2013
Jim
Jim rated it liked it
Mar 09, 2011
Diane
Diane rated it it was ok
Jul 06, 2015
Meagan
Meagan rated it really liked it
Apr 13, 2012
Michael
Michael rated it really liked it
Sep 12, 2016
Jessica
Jessica rated it it was amazing
Feb 02, 2015
Dean Duncan
Dean Duncan rated it really liked it
Feb 17, 2012
Jean
Jean rated it liked it
Dec 10, 2011
Ollie Reeder
Ollie Reeder rated it really liked it
Dec 23, 2016
Max
Max rated it it was amazing
Dec 05, 2007
Sadie
Sadie rated it it was amazing
Oct 31, 2009
Pghbekka
Pghbekka rated it liked it
Jul 16, 2014
Justin
Justin rated it it was amazing
Feb 27, 2016
Anne
Anne rated it liked it
Feb 02, 2014
Flynn
Flynn rated it really liked it
Nov 07, 2007
Philip
Philip rated it liked it
Jul 12, 2014
David
David rated it really liked it
Sep 12, 2016
Alessia
Alessia rated it it was amazing
Jul 01, 2008
Madeline Moss
Madeline Moss rated it really liked it
Jan 29, 2013
Francisco Glez
Francisco Glez rated it it was amazing
Jul 12, 2013
Maryka
Maryka rated it it was amazing
Aug 06, 2015
Genevieve Ethers
Genevieve Ethers rated it it was amazing
Aug 08, 2013
Jean-Thomas "Tomi" Ungerer is a French illustrator best known for his erotic and political illustrations as well as children's books.
More about Tomi Ungerer...