Start by marking “Pretear, Vol. 1 (Pretear, #1)” as Want to Read:
Pretear, Vol. 1 (Pretear, #1)

Pretear, Vol. 1 (Pretear #1)

Himeno is a high school freshman who's having trouble adjusting to the lifestyle of the very rich. Her father, Kaoru, is a one-time famous author of young girls' novels. One of his greatest fans was Natsue, a wealthy woman who liked Kaoru so much that she snatched him up from their rundown apartment and married him. But Himeno's life is far from rosy. Her dad tends to take ...more
Published June 8th 2004 by ADV Manga (first published June 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Pretear, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pretear, Vol. 1

Maid-sama! Vol. 01 by Hiro FujiwaraFruits Basket, Vol. 1 by Natsuki TakayaOuran High School Host Club, Vol. 1 by Bisco HatoriSkip Beat!, Vol. 01 by Yoshiki NakamuraKimi ni Todoke by Karuho Shiina
Great Romance Manga Reads!
65th out of 313 books — 552 voters
Death Note, Vol. 1 by Tsugumi OhbaFullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 1 by Hiromu ArakawaFruits Basket, Vol. 1 by Natsuki TakayaOuran High School Host Club, Vol. 1 by Bisco HatoriVampire Knight, Vol. 1 by Matsuri Hino
Best Manga Book Ever
200th out of 867 books — 3,253 voters

More lists with this book...

Sesana
Apr 30, 2012 Sesana rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, comics
Pretear is billed as a new version of Snow White, but it seems to owe a lot more to Cinderella, especially at first. There are seven knights, sure, but there are also two wicked step-sisters, and her father is still around. To be honest, I never really saw much Snow White reference in this volume (except that there are seven knights). That had nothing to do with how I felt about the book, though. I did like the art, and while the writing was pretty good, the plot itself wasn't unique or interest ...more
Miranda
Apr 18, 2011 Miranda rated it really liked it
I watched the anime first before deciding I wanted to read the manga. Looks like the TV series is very true to the manga though I prefer the anime Sesame. Great read but. I'm looking forward to reading Vol 2.
Brandi
Mar 20, 2015 Brandi rated it it was amazing
Junichi Satou's "Pretear" is one of those sacchariney, cutesy, but rather predictable series that make me want to climb up on a giant pillow with a stuffed bunny and a cute fluffy kitten while eating pink Snoballs.
It's cute, but since it is based on Cinderella, it is rather predictable. That doesn't stop the sweetness from overflowing and almost causing a toothache.
I would recommend this series to other readers and will probably read it again in the future. Whereas it's not exactly my favorite
Christina
Aug 04, 2014 Christina rated it really liked it
High School Sophomore Himeno Awayuki's father has just remarried into a wealthy family in a new area of town and Himeno seems to be having trouble fitting in. As hard as she looks, she can't find any warmth between herself and this new family...
On Himeno's first day at her new High School, her step-sister, Mayune, takes the car to school without her and makes her walk to school. Taking the path of a newly-found shortcut, Himeno runs into a strange little boy after she steps on a flower. Seeing t
Karen
Mar 07, 2011 Karen rated it liked it
Pretear is the story of Himeno, a regular teenage girl that endures harsh treatment from her stepmother and stepsisters after her did remarries. This of course all changes until one day she's caught up into an alternate world, where a gang of prettyboys want to make her the Pretear. The Pretear is the one that will raise up against the Princess of Diaster and reinvigorate the Leafe, life force. In a sense it is a modern day Snow White story, with fantasy elements.

Pretear is really quite standar
Nina {ᴡᴏʀᴅs ᴀɴᴅ ᴡᴀᴛᴇʀ}
First of all, I really love Himeno's hair. I mean all, most shojo character's have pretty similar hair styles, long or short, but Himeno's is short and curly, like pixie hair or something, it's awesome!

Secondly, I thought this was a relatively good manga about life, relationships and magic, in the who kind of magic girl way. I think the idea of the Pretear is cool.

Thirdly, I was a little confused by their ages, since the Liefe knights, the older ones were around 16 years before with the last Pre
Deb
Sep 20, 2007 Deb rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: young girls interested in manga
Shelves: childrens, manga
A Japanese Cinderella story: Himeno, a highschool freshman, has been thrust into the world of the nouveau riche. Her father, a former author who has refused to write since the death of his first wife, has re-married to provide his daughter with a better life. The step-mother, a fan of his former glory, is the head of a cosmetic company and has two daughters of her own. The blended family does not mix harmoniously. Sound familiar?

The twist comes when Himeno is called upon to save the world Sailor
Natalie
Sep 20, 2015 Natalie rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Young readers and fairy tale fans
Though marketed as "the new legend of Snow White," the first volume of Pretear has much more in common with Cinderella: Himeno's father has remarried a wealthy woman with two daughters from her previous marriage, and these two step-sisters go out of their way to get Himeno in trouble, such as taking the car and making their new step-sister walk to school. Himeno takes a shortcut and ends up discovering another world that needs saving by someone called the Pretear. The story is an easy read, both ...more
Josephine
Feb 18, 2016 Josephine rated it it was amazing
Ah yes, Pretear. I remember my mom picking this up for me from the library while I was ill and me reading the entire series the same day.

Such good memories.

Pretear is the typical magical girl manga with a girl finding a magical object or hidden power and transforming in order to stop the bad guys from taking over the world. There's magical guys, romance, friendships, cute mascots, the main character is clumsy and yeah, I think that's it.

To be honest, I didn't like the romance in Pretear all that
Hannah
Sep 14, 2014 Hannah rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
Series Review: Pretear is a short but enjoyable manga that puts a unique twist on a old tale. The characters are enjoyable and the plot is interesting. Things happen very fast with twists well executed. This manga is a great option for a quick read.
Melissa
Jul 22, 2015 Melissa rated it liked it
Shelves: manga
A cute enough reverse harem style tale. A lot of the bishounen are stereotypes (a frequent issue in all harem style manga), but the clothes and fashion are great. I like the anime better than the manga unfortunately.
Dani
I like the Leafe knights and the concept of Leafe. The 3 different age groups of knights - the kids, the teenagers and the young adults are compelling and work for me. It was cute how they met and illustrated that the story would spend time in both worlds.

Himeno is not offensive at least and her Snow White background is okay depending on how this develops further. I am getting sick of Mayune already! I didn't much like her family - they need to get a clue! Her Pretear abilities and the frames w
Ella
Aug 12, 2014 Ella rated it it was amazing
Becoming the Pretear and saving the world with a group of cute guys. xD That be awesome.
VampAmber
I really loved the anime, so when I saw the Prétear manga at the library, I just had to grab it. I'm so glad I did, because it's just as good, if not better. Since this was the first volume, it was mostly set-up, and it followed pretty closely to the anime, from what I can remember (it's been awhile since I've seen it). But even though I've watched the series quite a few times, I still loved the manga. I adore all the characters, and I can't wait to get ahold of the next volume. I'm hoping they ...more
HaveYouSeenThisGirL Denny
May 11, 2013 HaveYouSeenThisGirL Denny rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: little girls
Shelves: manga
When I was a kid, I used to watch this in the television and I liked it so much. Then a year ago I saw this manga from a manga shop, it has 4volumes and it was on sale (1 vol = 1 only!)so I bought all 4 volumes. I was so excited to read it, reminiscing how much I enjoyed watching it when I was a little girl but I was then disappointed that I didn't have the same feeling while reading it. I don't know if its because the manga is boring or is it because I grew up. I'm recommending it to little gir ...more
Hintonc_7e3
Jan 30, 2012 Hintonc_7e3 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Henry
Dec 02, 2008 Henry rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
This is a very nice series, a sort of Cinderella meets Snowhite story. I believe it is written for girls, but I found that I like the characters and the twist in the story. I think if you look past the fairy tale, everyone can find something they like on the characters and the tale.
Chelsea
This series has a lot of potential and the characters are all really interesting. I love how the author used the story of Snow White as the initial basis and then adapted it. This series looks really good and really grabbed my interest.
Lauren
Jun 02, 2015 Lauren rated it liked it
Shelves: manga
I love reverse harem type of manga storyline and coupled with the magical girl aspect I thought this series was pretty entertaining. Even though the heroine was whiny (no surprise there) there was still a good overall story.
Kerr
Mar 07, 2012 Kerr rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gave-away
My friend leant me the anime, I quite enjoyed it and learnt the manga was slightly different, so I decided to read it!

Nice and quick flowing, cant wait for book 2 turn up!
Tamara
Jun 23, 2012 Tamara rated it it was amazing
I watched the anime first. There were changes between the manga and anime. They were pretty much the same. This like your typical girls manga, but it works.
Starbubbles
Jun 27, 2011 Starbubbles rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
Even when I re-read this series, I still really enjoy it. I love meeting back up with my Leafe Knights for some world saving action!
Robin
Oct 26, 2013 Robin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable. I really like the fact that it is so different from the anime. Hope to get my hands on the second book!
Kaitlynne
Jul 09, 2010 Kaitlynne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the very first Graphic Novel I ever read, and it got me hooked!
Lea
Jul 05, 2009 Lea rated it really liked it
Excellent manga, excellent anime, love it, love it, love it! :D
Christina
Feb 01, 2013 Christina rated it liked it
It is way different than the anime but it's still interesting....
Priscilla Nancy
Jan 18, 2013 Priscilla Nancy rated it it was ok
In all honesty I liked the anime more than the manga.
Jessaroo
Sep 27, 2011 Jessaroo rated it it was amazing
all 4 volumes
Jessica Houston
Jessica Houston marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2016
Joanne
Joanne rated it liked it
Sep 12, 2016
  • Dream Saga, Vol. 01
  • Clamp School Detectives, Vol. 01 (CLAMP School Detectives, #1)
  • Mugen Spiral, Vol. 01
  • Aqua, Volume 1 (Aqua, #1)
  • Mistress Fortune
  • Wedding Peach, Vol. 01
  • Pita Ten, Vol. 01
  • I Hate You More Than Anyone Vol. 1 (I Hate You More Than Anyone, #1)
  • Tokyo Mew Mew, Vol. 4 (Tokyo Mew Mew, #4)
  • ちはやふる 1 [Chihayafuru 1]
  • Alice 19th, Vol. 2 (Alice 19th, #2)
  • Gunslinger Girl, Vol. 1
  • Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories, Vol. 2
  • My Heavenly Hockey Club, Volume 1

Pretear (4 books)
  • Prétear, Vol. 2 (Prétear, #2)
  • Prétear, Vol. 3 (Prétear, #3)
  • Prétear, Vol. 4 (Prétear, #4)