Start by marking “The Lost Art of Drawing the Line: How Fairness Went Too Far” as Want to Read:
The Lost Art of Drawing the Line: How Fairness Went Too Far

The Lost Art of Drawing the Line: How Fairness Went Too Far

The Lost Art of Drawing the Line will appall and irritate — and entertain — readers every bit as much as Philip Howard’s first book. Why is it that no one can fix the schools? Why do ordinary judgements fill doctors with fear? Why are seesaws disappearing from playgrounds? Why has a wave of selfish people overtaken America?

In our effort to protect the individual against un
Published June 12th 2001 by Random Hose

To ask other readers questions about The Lost Art of Drawing the Line, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lost Art of Drawing the Line

Matt
Jul 24, 2011 Matt rated it liked it
Good book; pretty much confirmed my previously-held bias but overall a worthwhile read. Howard uses examples from the public sector that are easy to understand and reveal the obvious drawbacks of a society that places more value on the individual than on the community. People who cannot be fired or reprimanded because their superiors are afraid of the grievance that will be filed, teachers who are allowed to peddle mediocrity (at best) because of the strength of their union and the belief that t ...more
John
Jul 15, 2010 John rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book is about how law (and lawsuits), intended to be neutral and impartial, have become a weapon for self interest, and how legal anxiety permeates our society. The author makes some VERY good points about how out of control things are in our society. The problem (and the reason I gave it 2 stars) is that he seriously belabors the points he is making. I couldn't even finish it, because I found myself getting upset, and couldn't wade through the infuriating examples to get to any solution he ...more
Rachel
Mar 11, 2010 Rachel rated it really liked it
I loved his argument. I will be reading his other two books as well. I would also like to read a counter argument in order to check my own analysis however, I have no idea where to find one. This book does not read like a work of fiction but it is quite fascinating all the same.

Lalena
Aug 12, 2012 Lalena rated it it was ok
Shelves: su-library
I didn't like this nearly as much as The Death of Common Sense. This one is a bit too whiny in tone.
JP
May 18, 2013 JP rated it liked it
Another great work by Howard - this time he shows how we've replaced judgment with rules and that, ironically, most of the structures designed to protect us merely weaken us further.
Atchisson
Feb 01, 2008 Atchisson rated it really liked it
Great book. Points how the ridiculously vague and over-used expression of "fair" has been exploited and inflated beyond any real working definition or practical application.
Siobhan
Siobhan rated it it was ok
Jul 03, 2013
Rand A. Murnane
Rand A. Murnane rated it really liked it
Jan 17, 2014
Alex
Alex rated it really liked it
Jan 30, 2016
Karl
Karl rated it liked it
Apr 20, 2010
V
V rated it liked it
Dec 27, 2011
John Wedding
John Wedding rated it really liked it
Aug 15, 2011
Rob
Rob rated it liked it
Jul 25, 2011
Chris
Chris rated it liked it
Nov 21, 2013
Steve Morgan
Steve Morgan rated it really liked it
Jul 28, 2014
Isaac Perez Moncho
Isaac Perez Moncho rated it it was ok
Jun 09, 2014
Gina
Gina rated it liked it
Jun 09, 2010
Alexander
Alexander rated it it was ok
Sep 07, 2009
Mike Archibald
Mike Archibald rated it it was ok
Dec 29, 2011
Joebawden
Joebawden rated it it was amazing
May 10, 2013
David
David rated it did not like it
May 16, 2013
R.C. Atchisson
R.C. Atchisson rated it it was amazing
Feb 20, 2015
James Bertini
James Bertini rated it it was amazing
Aug 14, 2016
Brian Foltz
Brian Foltz rated it it was amazing
Sep 06, 2013
Justin O Cave
Justin O Cave rated it really liked it
Dec 04, 2014
Carol Palmer
Carol Palmer rated it it was amazing
Dec 27, 2012
Tony Marinucci
Tony Marinucci rated it liked it
Apr 13, 2014
Douglas H Borden III
Douglas H Borden III rated it it was amazing
Mar 02, 2014
David
David rated it it was amazing
Jan 11, 2013
Brian S. Wise
Brian S. Wise rated it liked it
Aug 06, 2011
Philip K. Howard, a lawyer, advises leaders of both parties on legal and regulatory reform. He is chair of Common Good and a contributor to the New York Times and the Wall Street Journal.

Philip K. Howard is a well-known leader of government and legal reform in America. His new book, The Rule of Nobody (W. W. Norton & Company, April 2014), has been praised by Fareed Zakaria as “an utterly compe
More about Philip K. Howard...