4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  546 ratings  ·  26 reviews
James Cameron's Titanic is a book conceived on the epic scale of the movie--not only do the massive page size and sky-high production values of the book do justice to the big ship, they give Kate Winslet's titanic hats an impact comparable to what the big screen gives them. It's also fun to get the effect of exploring a set as vast, complex, and fiscally and physically dan...more
Published by Boxtree, Limited (first published 1997)

morgan
Mar 07, 2012 morgan rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Titanicians...duhh
Recommended to morgan by: James Cameron
Amazing! This book answered so many unanswered questions from the movie. I was upset to see it only have 3 stars. I suggest you do your Titanic research before you take the movie too seriously. Read some good Titanic historical fiction books. A lot of characters in Cameron's movie were real...so please just because it has pictures and behind-the-scenes excerpts, doesn't mean it's going to be an exciting read. It's not the damn movie script! Take it seriously!

Jack and Rose

This is how much I enjoyed this boo...more
Michelle
Yes, you do already have this book, if you're looking at your 1997 edition in confusion. The cover's all fancy and lenticular, but if you look deep beneath the cover, you will discover, not much has changed and it's a not-so-cheap cash in. You don't already have the 1997 book? Go ahead and buy this one, it is worth your money.

So why do I now have two editions of what is essentially the same book? Because I'm a sucker for anything Titanic and books, which some people say is boring. I walked into...more
Natalie Pietro
My father gave me this beautiful book for Christmas seeing I loved Titanic. Was it the movie I loved or Leonardo DiCaprio. Kind of sick of the movie to this day after seeing it a million times but something about this book is timeless. It has great background into the making of this movie. Great photos, articles, and behind the scenes footage. Glad I was given this book.
Maya
Samantha
I am probably the biggest Titanic fan writing in about this one--it is my favorite movie (seen it 7 times), my biggest obsession and fascination, and I know so much about it. This book was a really interesting behind-the-scenes look at the brilliant film. James Cameron is really a God-send, and bless him because I certainly could never do anything the man has accomplished. It's amazing how he made this movie, and the book is chockfull of fun facts and beautiful color photos. A must-read for fans...more
Kevin
My friends will know that I'm a huge fan of the film - and so are many of them too! Strangely, I've managed to end up with 3 copies of this book...

I love it because it gives a real, in-depth insight into the making of the greatest movie of all time, along with little known facts and anecdotes from the cast and crew.

A must for any Titanic movie fan.
Stephanie Cook
A guide to the movie that James Cameron filmed of the Titanic. Lots of pictures and information on how the movie was made. Well worth buying/reading especially if you are a Titanic or James Cameron fan! I still can't believe they made a replica of the ship to sink! It still amazes me.
Gloria
Yes, I saw the movie. In the theater. 3 times.
Yes, it was awful. And absurd.
The screenplay sucked.
And Leo does nothing for me.

But man, did I lust over that ship-- even if it was a scaled down partial replica.
Totally impressive in that regard.
I can only give James Cameron praise for two things about his Titanic movie: His 3D rendering of Titanic is the best 3D I've ever seen; and for faithfully sticking to the most intricate details of what Titanic must have been like when he built his set for the movie. Did you know that Cameron has "logged" more hours on the actual Titanic than Capt. Smith? Did you know that, when possible, if the manufacturer of an item for the original Titanic was still in business, Cameron had them recreate the...more
Drucilla
Mar 01, 2012 Drucilla rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: m
This is a pretty in depth view of the making of the movie. There's more of a focus on the technical side than I would have liked, but it's a pretty decent read.
Emma
Contains gorgeous photos from the film; if that's what floats your boat ;)
Amanda Wheet
My heart will go on after reading and crying through this.
Jevron McCrory
Lavish. Bold. Beautiful. Big. Just like the ship.
Daniel Maguire
This book is very sad and emotional.
Sharon Cusick
Love the movie and I am 10
Sarah (TotalTeenFiction)
Titanic is one of my absolute favourite films and has been for years, so I was really excited when I saw this book, rereleased with extra material to mark the 100th anniversary of the sinking and the 3D release of the film. I'm a sucker for behind the scenes stuff anyway so this book looked right up my street! The insights from James Cameron are brilliant and it's amazing to see how much research went into the film, and it reveals a lot of details of the tricks they pulled to create the grander...more
Caitlin
Being a fan of the movie, it piqued my interest when I saw this book for sale at the Titanic exhibition. I didn't really know what to expect from this book, but I must say what I got was amazing. Filled with photos that have hardly or never seen the light of day as well as loads of behind the scenes information and quotes from principal cast and crew, James Cameron's Titanic is an enchanting insight into the spectacle that was the movie Titanic. It features what I think is a great balance betwee...more
Montinel Perez
it will be a good book.
Jen
As someone who was once obsessed with the movie (yes, I was one of those - saw it six times in the theatre, in fact!), this is a luscious and gorgeous companion to the film.

If pictures of Leo DiCaprio are your thing (you are now my friend if so), this is the book for you. He's all over the pages in Jack Dawson Glory, smiling and tanned and saving Rose's life and then dying so she could live. Siiiigh. So pretty.
Cecelia

I'm writing some fan fiction with Titanic characters. In my version, Jack lives after the sinking. Come out to the Titanic Fan Fiction community and read these stories. If you like the story, please leave a review after you’ve read each chapter. You can also leave a review as a Guest if you don’t have a login:
Wendy
This was just a behind-the-scenes look at the making of the movie. It was pretty good, if you're the sort who likes to see behind the 'movie magic'. I'm not, usually, but it was really impressive how they did some of it.

I'm not a James Cameron fan, though, and some of the Cameron-worship was off-putting.
Vivian
im confused is this book with jack and rose or about the making of the titanic???
MiChAeLPaUl
The "ship of dreams"
Jonathan
The break down of the making of the film is possibly more amazing then the storyline itself.
Jill
Jill added it
Jul 25, 2014
Molly Sparber
Molly Sparber marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Favorite Page/Section 1 2 Sep 19, 2013 01:02PM
  • Mr. and Mrs. Smith
  • Titanic: an Illustrated History
  • Tangled (Disney Tangled)
  • Titanic: Legacy of the World's Greatest Ocean Liner
  • Titanic Survivor
  • The Night at the Museum
  • The Matrix
  • The Discovery of the Titanic
  • The Story of the Titanic As Told by Its Survivors
  • أم العروسة
  • The Titanic Disaster Hearings: The Official Transcripts of the 1912 Senate Investigation
  • Inception: The Shooting Script
  • Last Dinner On the Titanic Menus and Recipes From the Great Liner
  • Titanic Love Stories: The true stories of 13 honeymoon couples who sailed on the Titanic
  • Braveheart