Dreaming the Bull (Boudica, #2)

Dreaming the Bull (Boudica #2)

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  1,035 ratings  ·  49 reviews
This is a heart-stopping story of war and of peace; of love, passion and betrayal; of druids and warring gods, where each life is sacred and each death even more so; and where Breaca and Ban learn the terrible distances they must travel to fulfil their own destinies.
Published February 2nd 2004 by Bantam-Dell Publishing Co. (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Dreaming the Bull, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dreaming the Bull

Ronda  Tutt
Long but worth the read!

Dreaming the Bull - 2nd book in this 4 book series continues to carry on my captivation with Boudica and her life. The blurb basically describes what the story is about however I can add to it by saying - "Only this book focus is more on the Roman'a invasion of Britannia and the single character Ban (Boudica's brother) or better known as Julius Valerius and how he ended up being a Roman soldier as well as moving up the ranks like he did."

The author gives the reader a glim...more
Sam
I loved this second installment of the Boudica series, the characters were again brilliantly written and the storyline believable and once again well researched. Scott has recreated the intricacies of Celtic Britain and the Roman Empire very well with a distinct attention to detail that continues to support the story. Each character has been developed well and the situations that arise are again handled and written well and portrayed in a manner to make each as relevent to the reader as possible...more
Kiyan
Mostly follows the life of Ban aka Julius. Like the first book, it takes Manda Scott about 60 pages to find her rhythm. This book is filled with dark vengeance and betrayal, commitments to foreign, silent Gods by someone who was once a Dreamer for another culture and still sees Ghosts. I love the magic in this book - a dead Granma aids in a curse, and there's a Roman Bull God initiation scene in a cave that is truly beautiful. Can't wait to read the third one...
Kirstin
So. I know that Rome invades the majority of England. And I know that Boudica is captured and her daughters raped. Consequently, at just passed half-way through the second installation of the series, I give up. It's battle after battle, in which Ban gets more evil and Boudica gets more desperate. I know there's probably some big reconciliation at some point, but I can't hang in there for it--too many other good books to read.
Jacqueline
The second of four books about Boedica or Boadecia as many know by this name .
Love this series great character development and Mandy Scott is a fantastic storyteller. I' m reading the 4th book now

Amazing details of this early time- period.

If you like historical figures brought to life read this book!
Mark ~ Sinfully Sexy Book Reviews
Just finished the second book of this 4 part saga and I must say it just keeps getting better. Now off to start the third book....can't wait :-)
Solsticedreamer
re-reading for the 4-5th time!
Terri
While I greatly admire and revere Manda Scott's talent with the pen, I have to say that I found this second isntalment of the Boudica series to be a hard slog. It seemed so much more denser than the first one, and I don't mean in storyline and plot..or, maybe a litle bit in the plot department, but mostly in the way it was written. There was too much 'in between dragging it down' for me and it therefore didn't have my heart racing or my pulse building. Unlike Dreaming the Eagle, which did both o...more
Brenna
I was a bit leery of continuing with the series because of the reviews and also the "animal" element which made the first book a difficult read for me. However, after I finished Dreaming the Eagle on the first day of vacation, I found myself wondering "what happens next." Without even realizing it, I became connected to the characters and their stories. The minute I had internet access again, I reserved copies of the rest of the series (after driving to three different bookstores in the area to...more
Graham Crawford
I am having trouble judging books by "good reader" star ratings in this genre of historical fiction. I guess that means it's a very personal taste. Some (like me) like LOTS of well researched history with their fiction, other folk think the history gets in the way of telling a good story.

I loved Boudica #1 - So much historical reasearch I could just tell Manda Scott was a regular on Time Team (one of my favourite shows!). I loved the section at the back where she declared her biases and listed...more
Lauren
So Dreaming the Bull was a pretty good sequel to Dreaming the Eagle. It didn't quite beat the first book, but it was still riveting. I found Boudica's spirit and willingness to live amazing through out this book and I was really impressed with how she had changed from the first book. Her self perseverance was amazing and what pretty much drove her the entire book. The whole deal with Caradoc being captured was nerve wracking for me. I had no idea what was going to happen to him and all the rest...more
Stephanie
I read the first book in this series, "Dreaming the Eagle", years ago, and can barely remember anything about it. This was a problem while reading "Dreaming the Bull" at first because the past was used as a major part of character development and I couldn't remember the significance of events in the past. But then the story took hold and I was drawn in, regardless of my faulty memory. Set in ancient Britain when the local tribes were rebelling against Roman rule under the leadership of the Boudi...more
Marie Christine
This series doesn't decide what it wants to be, a historical novel or fantasy. It also keeps repeating the same scenes.
I finished it because I did want to know how it ended, but this is really not my taste.
Lorina Stephens
Competent writing, a talented story-teller, and excellent research all contribute to the entertainment value of this, the second book of Manda Scott's Boudica series.

My only quibble is purely personal taste in that with such a remarkable, historical backdrop I'm wondering why Scott had to wander so deeply into neo-pagan spiritualism and magic. The result, for this reader, diminishes the quality of the story and the skill of a writer otherwise comfortable with her craft.
Sadie Anjum
I absolutely loved the second book in this series... as a follow on from the first book, we see the characters develop, so many changes, we see Ban turn into Valerius (it was a huge noooo moment for me, but it worked so well for the storyline); Breaca, the kids and Caradoc, a lot of significant changes, which moved the story forward. The fighting scenes completely drew me in, I looooved every single battle fought by the characters; and the last two chapters of the book had me on edge... wanting...more
Carmen
The second excerpt in the series about the Roman invasion of Britian and the native forces who fought him. Featuring a woman warrior, Boudica, this one is more about her brother and how he lost his way. His family thought that he had died in a big war, but instead he was captured and not only lived in Rome, but became a Roman warrior. He came back to Britian and fought his prior countrymen without mercy. At the end of the book, he is faced with another decision and I am curious to see what he ch...more
Neill Smith
As Breaca and Caradoc continue their fight against Scapula and the Roman invaders internecine feuds between the British tribes cause Caradoc to be captured by Cartimandua and delivered to Rome as a spectacle for the emperor, Claudius. Ban, Breaca's brother, has become a soldier in the Roman legion, believing his Eceni family dead or estranged and has built himself a life as a Roman. As the intrigue builds, both in Rome and Britain, old and new gods lead the antagonists in old and new battles and...more
Stuart
unfortunately I started reading Book 2 before I realised that there was a Book 1 so some of the background was hazy though the author did cover most of the ground in the story. As a story of Roman times it was about a clash of cultures. Brutality and bravery in abundance on both sides at least to our way of thinking. Not sure about an historical relationship between Boudicca and Caractacus - though the switching relationships both heterosexual and homosexual on both sides seemed over the top!
Barbara
I eventually overcame the awkwardness of the Celtic/Iron Age names that I complained about in my review of Dreaming the Eagle (Boudica, #1) and grew to thoroughly enjoy the complexity of the emotions, trials and tribulations that transformed Ban of the Eceni into Valerius the ruthless soldier of Rome. I had a difficult time putting down the book and immediately devoured the next in the series, Dreaming the Hound (Boudica, #3).
Ritiel
Definetely better than its predecessor.

I don't know if it is due the fact that there is no presentation of characters, or maybe the lack of child characters (I really don't like them), or perhaps the more Roman features of the book took my attention.

Anyway, the author did find a good way to conduct the series, and the second volume makes me want to read next one, find out about the destiny of Breaca and Valerius.
Ted Hopkins
The word "Dreaming" in the title of all four books in this series is important. The dream-like quality moves these books more towards fantasy than would normally be expected of historical fiction. Unlike Pauline Gedge's covering of the same ground, Scott occasionally delves into magic to advance her plot. Scott's Boudica and Caradoc are both very different characters than Gedge's. An absorbing read.
Alicia
This is the 2nd book in the Boudica series, & as far I have read. Not because the series isn't great - it is - but, because by the 3rd book I have that same feeling I get watching 'Braveheart': the first 1/2 is ecstatically inspiring...but you know that 2nd 1/2 is going to be soul-crushingly tragic. I keep thinking "Maybe next year I'll finish it.."
Míami
A good continuity to the story overall which defines some characters' descent to hell and helps,you understand their future actions, but a little too broody and angsty for me in places. I can see how it serves the purpose of the storyline and it's continuity overall but at times I found it quite hard to read (and immensely depressing!).
Cheryl
Interesting beginning, and the end works, albeit a rushed finish (obviously the editor said wrap it up already). Sluggish in the middle. But, I like the characters and I think it's a necessary bridge to the next book in the series. Wish there had been a bit more about the reign of Claudius and the relationship with Aggrippa.
Trevor Greenaway-clissold
The second in a stunning series on Boudica, similar to my review on Conn Iggulden's Gates Of Rome, these books are a fantastic way to learn the history of the time that was just made for fiction. Again, allowing for poetic licence for the sake of narrative and filling in unknown gaps, I jut could not put these books down.
Kaz
I loved this book, and the entire series so far. Manda Scott really makes me feel like I'm right there, in Britain, with her writing! Sometimes it gets a little graphic but never so much that I giveIt's the kind of writing that keeps me waiting for more. Can't wait to read the next one!

Baxter Trautman
If you liked "Dreaming the Eagle" you should love this sequel. It started a little slowly then picked up speed to become one of those rare novels I couldn't put down until I raced to the end. "Bull" is a thrilling blend of magic, historical fiction, and political intrigue.
Bethany
Really enjoyed this book. I think it was better than the first in some ways aas the characters develooped and new interesting ones are introduced. I like this new more mature writing as the characters have also matured. Thoroughly recommend to anyone.
should I keep reading or is it all doom, gloom, betrayal and torture? 3 12 Jul 18, 2013 03:34AM
  • Rome: The Emperor's Spy (Rome, #1)
  • The Eagle and the Raven
  • Hero of Rome (Gaius Valerius Verrens, #1)
  • Lion Of The Sun (Warrior of Rome, #3)
  • Arrows of Fury (Empire, #2)
  • The White Raven (Oathsworn, #3)
  • Tribune of Rome (Vespasian, #1)
  • The Eagle in the Sand (Eagle, #7)
  • Sworn Sword (The Bloody Aftermath of 1066, #1)
  • Song of the North (Dalriada Trilogy, #3)
  • Ship of Rome (Masters of the Sea, #1)
Novelist, columnist and broadcaster MC Scott (aka Manda Scott) trained as a veterinary surgeon in Glasgow and worked at the Universities of Cambridge and Dublin, specialising in anaesthesia. A brief three year stint as a Director of the computer games company, Frontier Developments (Elite, Frontier First Encounter, Wallace and Gromit; Elite: Dangerous) bridged the gap from veterinary medicine to w...more
More about Manda Scott...
Dreaming the Eagle (Boudica, #1) Dreaming the Serpent Spear (Boudica, #4) Dreaming the Hound (Boudica, #3) The Crystal Skull No Good Deed

“We all make mistakes in our youth of which we are ashamed. The difference is that the rest of us can forgive the child we were and believe in the honour of the adult we have become. - Gwyddhien” 9 likes
“It is in my mind that a people faced with death or slavery as their only choices are not readily going to relinquish war. - Longinus Sdapeze” 5 likes