Start by marking “Malgudi Days” as Want to Read:
Malgudi Days

Malgudi Days

4.2  ·  Rating Details ·  12,101 Ratings  ·  430 Reviews
Four gems, with new introductions, mark acclaimed Indian writer R. K. Narayan’s centennial

Introducing this collection of stories, R. K. Narayan describes how in India “the writer has only to look out of the window to pick up a character and thereby a story.” Composed of powerful, magical portraits of all kinds of people, and comprising stories written over almost forty yea
Published November 2nd 2006 by Penguin Classics (first published 1943)

To ask other readers questions about Malgudi Days, please sign up.

Snehil Sinha Our everyday lives are no less than a story. The stories here are a proof of this fact. The innocence and the simplicity of these stories will forever…moreOur everyday lives are no less than a story. The stories here are a proof of this fact. The innocence and the simplicity of these stories will forever etch them in your hearts. A timeless classic, a bedtime storybook, a moral science lesson and of course an unforgettable piece.(less)
The God of Small Things by Arundhati RoyA Fine Balance by Rohinton MistryThe White Tiger by Aravind AdigaMidnight's Children by Salman RushdieThe Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri
Best Indian Books
707 books — 2,196 voters
2 States by Chetan BhagatI Too Had a Love Story by Ravinder SinghThe 3 Mistakes of My Life by Chetan BhagatThe Immortals of Meluha by Amish TripathiRevolution 2020 by Chetan Bhagat
Indian Books - Fiction
796 books — 2,251 voters

More lists with this book...

James
Nov 24, 2010 James rated it really liked it
Malgudi Days, written by R.K Narayan, chronicles the lives of people in the fictional town of Malgudi. The stories, which share the lives of everyone from entrepreneurs to beggars, all take place in and near this Indian village. Thus the heart and the soul of that village is on display and we find it is a place where most people are haunted by illiteracy and unemployment. Yet despite the ubiquity of the poor many of the stories come across with humorous good-natured episodes of their lives. Amon ...more
Ashima
May 08, 2008 Ashima rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
I had really high expectations when I picked this up and, of course, I was initially disappointed. I eventually started to enjoy these short (4-6 page) stories because each has fully developed characters experiencing mini-dramas. All the stories take place in the same town and a few of the characters pop up in multiple stories. I ended up liking this and appreciating it for what it is - a thoughtful, sweet, well written collection of short stories. I was telling my mom about it and she said that ...more
Prashant
Jul 07, 2012 Prashant rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
No bookshelf is complete without malgudi days.
Deepa Swaminathan
Jul 11, 2013 Deepa Swaminathan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: light-fiction
The stories listed here are my favourites in the order of preference.

1. Engine trouble (Lucky enough to win a road roller): This, according to me, is the best of the lot! Here the protagonist wins a road roller as a prize in some fair! The same minute start his troubles when he has to transport the huge vehicle to his home. He has to then pay rent to park the vehicle on a field. He manages to employ a driver, a temple elephant and 50 coolies for transporting it in the midst of an amused crowd of
Usman Hickmath
Mar 28, 2017 Usman Hickmath rated it it was amazing
R.K.Narayan’s ability to write about ordinary people and events interestingly is exceptional. His works are enchanting like the works of Anton Checkhov. Narayan is a legend. He must be celebrated. In a land where mediocre writers, whose imaginations won’t go beyond premarital sex and job in an investment bank, are treated like rocks stars, it is a shame that Narayan is not celebrated.
When publishers are maintaining official pages for famous authors on Facebook it is sad to know that there is non
Joy H.
Added 4/11/12.
Below is from a post I wrote in my GR group 4/11/12:

Just by chance I've stumbled on a good thing. Someone somewhere mentioned Malgudi Days (first published 1942) by R.K. Narayan. It's a book of engaging short stories set in India, "revealing the essence of India", as the GR description says.

I didn't think I'd be interested in reading it at first. So I did the next best thing... ordered the movie adaptation from Netflix.
Kavita
Jul 12, 2015 Kavita rated it it was amazing
Malgudi was an earth-shaking discovery for me, because I had no mind for facts and things like that, which would be necessary in writing about Malgudi or any real place. I first pictured not my town but just the railway station, which was a small platform with a banyan tree, a station master, and two trains a day, one coming and one going. On Vijayadasami I sat down and wrote the first sentence about my town: The train had just arrived in Malgudi Station. - R.K. Narayan

From the pen of one of Ind
Bharathi
Jan 28, 2008 Bharathi rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Bharathi by: Gerry Nelson
I loved this collection of short stories - RK Narayan ranks there with Chekov . The stories captured the essence of India and spirit of her people. Having studied and travelled there , I felt nostalgic reading about the lives of the households and street denizens of the fictional yet not-so-fictional town of Malgudi. Narayan's prose also steers away from pain, suffering and verbosity that sometimes dominates many Indian works. He paints it as simple and resilient

Gerry picked this one for our Bo
Yael  Feinerman
Dec 31, 2009 Yael Feinerman rated it it was amazing
Shelves: short-stories, indian
Super short short stories, ranging from 3-10 pages per. Amazingly - I didn't hit upon one that left me dangling, or feeling incomplete, as some short stories do. Narayan's writing is ---spicy is the word that comes to mind, like eating hot chilli peppers that wake up every taste bud in your mouth and leave you grabbing for more. Couldn't put this one, I found it electrifying.
Zen
Feb 21, 2013 Zen rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
What can I say about Malgudi Days? Malgudi is a fictional Indian town created by R.K. Narayan, conceived in such realistic detail that the University of Chicago Press once mistakenly put it in their atlas. But can you blame them? Most of Narayan's works take place in Malgudi, and the more you read about the place, the more you start to feel like it exists — that you might like to visit it someday, too.

"Whom next shall I meet in Malgudi? That is the thought that comes to me when I close a novel o
Bipasha{is eviscerated by fiction}
Jun 07, 2013 Bipasha{is eviscerated by fiction} rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
If I regard all the timeless classics I have been fortunate enough to be a part of, the one series that sticks out like a gentle reminder of life itself is the late Sh.R K Narayan's 'Malgudi Days'
The two names that have become synonymous to me with being simple yet powerful. The two souls that have given me so many memorable moments on print and celluloid. I am still fascinated at the ease with which these men managed to craft the rhythm of the life in the stories of Malgudi.

Narayan's creation
Daren
This book is great. It has a lot going for it - short chapter like stories all interconnected by the location (Malgudi, Narayan's fictional Indian town) and with some character crossovers, it is very readable, covering a range of topics key to Indian life. The characters are a brilliant mix of 'impossible not to love' and 'unlovable', from all walks of Indian life (equating to caste), and are all interesting.

I have previously read the Penguin P60 Tales from Malgudi, some of which are taken from
Nagesh
Jun 12, 2008 Nagesh rated it it was amazing
In my view, this one book shows what a versatile author and story teller R K Narayan was.

Though by the time I bought this book, the Malgudi Days teleserial was completed and RKN was already etched in every youngsters mind.

However this book of short stories, left an even deeper impact on my mind.

Especially two stories I can never forget.

Eshwar & Bulldozer.

While Eshwar depicted the tragic side of the common man, Bulldozer showed the hilarious aspect. Infact it was too good not to burst out int
Meera
Jan 19, 2013 Meera rated it it was amazing
Such a lovely reread; Narayan doesn't age, doesn't fade. Images from some of these stories will stay with me for a long time, I'm sure—the lonely sign painter licking cotton candy from the corners of his lips, the gambler who breaks open his son's coin box with a pestle, the knife-sharpener yelling in the streets, the cobbler who thinks he might have met god in the shape of a hippie...life is hard, life is sweet, life is sour, life is bitter, life is long.
Pooja Dhami
Mar 25, 2017 Pooja Dhami rated it really liked it
Rasipuram Krishnaswami Narayanaswami is hailed as one of the most influential writers that India has ever produced. The beauty of this book lies in the simplicity with which the author portrays ardent, human emotions.
This book comprises of thirty-two short stories that provide a kaleidoscopic view of Malgudi, a small, fictional village from post-independence India, with each story reminding us that we are only human.
In an introduction to the book, author Jhumpa Lehri implores the reader to re
Bloodorange
Aug 27, 2015 Bloodorange rated it really liked it
Recommended to Bloodorange by: Ian Laird
Shelves: india, stories
These stories feel universal; I am uncomfortably aware that this comment - from a white reader, on a non-white author's work - may smack of insensitivity to difference, but they feel universal the way greatest Russian literature does; they present human weaknesses and imperfection in a humorous, but, more frequently, objective and non-judgmental way.

My favourite story was Engine Trouble; I really liked and may use An Astrologer's Day, The Missing Mail, Lawley Road, God and the Cobbler, and Hungr
Kausik Lakkaraju
Aug 28, 2014 Kausik Lakkaraju rated it really liked it
One of the finest of R K Narayan.It was a collection worth keeping.It takes place in a fiction village called Malgudi. Though few stories had an abrupt ending , every story keeps us engaged till the end and the language was pretty simple and clear. Narayan gives a lucid account of everything that takes place in this beautiful village . His narrative literally teleports us to this small, beautiful and happy village, Malgudi.
Pragya Singh
Jan 16, 2017 Pragya Singh rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed Malgudi Days. It is one of those books that I expected to be good but which actually turned out to be spectacular. In an eloquent introduction to the book, Jhumpa Lahiri talks about how a disciplined reader should commit to one story at a time. Normally, I would scoff at the idea of reading 5-10 pages everyday but in this case, it does seem appropriate. For these stories are meant to be relished! The characters and their predicaments stay with you long after you are finished ...more
Mrinal Buddekar
Sep 24, 2013 Mrinal Buddekar rated it it was amazing
Though from an Indian writer, this book stands out. There are short stories which revolve around a village called Malgudi. The characters are well defined. Most of the endings are so human that it makes you feel that, "really? we all do this?". Book is kind of collection as it was published in 1943. I will say, todays amateur and useless spicy writers like Bhagat, Durjoy, Ravindar and Ahuja should read it as Standard for PhD to know how to write a book so basic but so great.
Nitesh Kanthaliya
May 29, 2016 Nitesh Kanthaliya rated it really liked it
A great book with short stories, divided into 3 parts. The stories in the first part are awesome and gripping. There are various characters and places that one encounters while reading the book - Malgudi, the fictional town; Boardless, the restaurant; the Talkative Man- a fictional character, MMC- the clinic/hospital of Malgudi, Dr. Raman etc.
The second part somehow mellows down the effect that was laid in part 1, but it offers a few fantastic stories in terms of A shadow and Leela's Friend.
The
Parikhit
Jun 24, 2011 Parikhit rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories, india
A collection of short stories from the bustling town of Malgudi, 'Malgudi Days' is a conglomeration of humour, satire, simplicity and perfection. A literary sorcerer, Narayan breathes in life into his impeccable stories. Indeed preserved for posterity.
The varied collection of short stories is embellished with Narayan’s signature humour and the natural serene setting makes the stories all the more captivating. While some left me laughing out loud other doused me in gloom. 'An Astrologer’s Day',
El
You won't find Malgudi on any real map, but Narayan describes the people and the location with such skill that I often forgot that I was not being transported to an authentic Indian city.

In Narayan's introduction he explains that in India "the writer has only to look out of the window to pick up a character and thereby a story." He accomplishes this thought exceptionally well and introduces a variety of different characters, from a wayward student to an astrologer. The majority of the early stor
Ameay kumar
Jan 02, 2008 Ameay kumar rated it it was amazing
Its really outstanding how Rk Narayan can tell a story that is so simple and still make leave a ever lasting impression. I think till I am alive I will not forget " maneater of Malgudi". It was equally interesting to watch Malgudi days directed by Shankar Nag it was shot in Agumbe which is 300 KM from Bangalore a small town that is so beautiful. You can actually here the music when you walk through the town and it really mesmerizing.
Gorab Jain
Nov 02, 2014 Gorab Jain rated it really liked it
Shelves: indian, short-stories
In this collection of short stories, many of the stories give a feeling of ending abruptly. But the character build up and the intrinsic details spun around EACH and EVERY story is exceptionally good. This is one of the reasons that when you feel so much acquainted with the characters, the story unfortunately has to end!
Aristotle
Nov 11, 2013 Aristotle rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone interested about India
This was 'The Book' I knew and read again and all over again during my childhood, and so was the case with the same author's 'Swami & Friends'. R.K. Narayan captures thew very heart of the Indian, and unlike the books that come nowadays wrapped in the fake version of India, this is a book with a living, beating Indian heart. There isn't another like this book.
Amy
May 07, 2008 Amy rated it it was amazing

It's one thing to create a book, a character, a family, a life-way. It's another thing altogether to build the community of Malgudi and write stories so the reader truly knows Malgudi, has lived there, argued there, fought there, felt like a resident. Narayan doesn't just build a world with his tiny, breathmint stories. Narayan invites you to reside in that world.
Josh
Mar 30, 2010 Josh rated it it was ok
The introduction was not my favorite writing by Lahiri.

The rest very occasionally reminded me of India, and not in an expected way: I was drawn in and hopelessly bored at the same time, couldn't wait to get back into it so it would finally be over.

A couple of good stories- worth reading for sure.
Ankit Shrivastava
Jul 01, 2015 Ankit Shrivastava rated it it was amazing
It will touch your heart, your soul
Such simplicity and clean strike to your heart.
Each and every story will make you put the book for few minutes and make you think
about what just happened.
It's for all ages.
If one would read this in their childhood , then will never forget those emotions which emerge in the stories.
Janani
Just as wonderful as the first time around.
Sachin
Jun 17, 2010 Sachin rated it liked it
Well, its all about the fictional town of Malgudi, given birth by the Imagination and sheer brilliance of R.K.Narayan, who always wanted to be with his people. His main stress was on character delineation, he himself said that, "once character comes up, every thing revolves around it".
So, here too Narayan has given an insight into the psyche of the common men and women, the inhabitants of Malgudi, their idiosyncracies, their routine, their behaviour at specific instants, their innocence, simplic
  • Chokher Bali
  • The Autobiography of an Unknown Indian
  • Yuganta: The End of an Epoch
  • Pather panchali: Song of the road
  • Em and The Big Hoom
R. K. Narayan is among the best known and most widely read Indian novelists who wrote in English.

R.K. Narayan was born in Madras, South India, in 1906, and educated there and at Maharaja's College in Mysore. His first novel, Swami and Friends and its successor, The Bachelor of Arts, are both set in the enchanting fictional territory of Malgudi and are only two out of the twelve novels he based the
More about R.K. Narayan...

“life is about making right things and going on..” 80 likes
“This is my child. I planted it. I saw it grow. I loved it. Don't cut it down...” 17 likes