Start by marking “Allhallows Eve” as Want to Read:
Allhallows Eve

Allhallows Eve

3.60  ·  Rating Details  ·  791 Ratings  ·  51 Reviews
Nothing unusual ever happens in Ashburg, until a local family are mutilated and left to die in their own home. Since then, the house has stood empty, but when mysterious invitations arrive announcing a party there, nobody thinks its a joke. After all, it is Allhallow's Eve.
Published 1993 by New English Library (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Allhallows Eve, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Allhallows Eve

mark monday
1:00 So what to do now? Feeling kinda happy from the whiskeys. Maybe read some trash?

1:15 Chose Allhallow’s Eve, not sure why. Checked out some Goodreads reviews. All bad.

1:30 This is fun. Killer on the loose, mysterious Halloween party on the horizon. FUN!

1:45 Tight pacing. Nice build-up. Why don’t people like this?

2:00 Sleazy. All the boobs! Boobs, boobs, boobs. Laymon loves that word, all the time, all over the place.

2:05 More whiskey?

2:15 Too much boobs, sweet Jesus, enough already. Also, s
Evans Light
Jan 26, 2014 Evans Light rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: have-it
2.5 Stars. Really not worth reading in a world so full of superior books. Murder-mystery story. Starts off promising, then limps along like a kid's book, doing nothing much of anything until the final chapter. The conclusion and epilogue are both abrupt and confusing. It's not a horrible book, but far from essential. Not up to Laymon's standards for either shock-factor or storytelling. Recommended for die-hard Laymon fans and completists only.
This book felt like something that was rushed out in
Paulo "paper books always" Carvalho
This month was a weak month in terms of reading. With too much work I had little time to read.
This one I had high expections since it's a Laymon book and another it was called Allhallow's Eve - so it was in the right time of the year but it sucked.

First, a difference from other Laymon books it's the lack of sex scenes. In this one are only two or three scenes (including rape scenes) but nothing is described like other of his books. Second is the slower pace of the book. There is also a lack of h
Stuart Keane
May 12, 2014 Stuart Keane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've read almost every Richard Laymon entry but when it comes to All Hallow's Eve, I don't remember this one. Having divulged in a flurry of Laymon in my teens, when I was reading this one it actually dawned on me that the text was new. No, I haven't read this before.

I was shocked too.

All Hallow's Eve is one of the shorter Laymon novels. An abandoned house on the edge of town becomes a prime location for a Halloween party. Invitations start arriving for the residents and it's only a matter of ti
Peter
Oct 17, 2014 Peter rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is a story about a small town and it problems. Fourteen years ago a maniac massacred the entire Sherwood family. The Sherwood house on Oakhurst Road has been abandoned since. Mysterious invitations to a Halloween party at the Sherwood house, arrive to a select few in town.. Nobody has any idea who is throwing this party. Once the party starts there is no turning back. This was not one of Laymons better works. The beginning of the story was promising but it went quickly down hill. Nothing re ...more
Wesley Thomas
Mar 19, 2013 Wesley Thomas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As usual fantastic read. Characters, plot, sub-plot, storylines, character motives, and cliffhangers at the end of most chapters. This would be one of my top 5 for Laymon if it wasn't for one flaw. The ending! It was too abrupt, the pace of the book is very fast and everything seems to happen very quickly, but even so, the ending, kind of came from nowhere. It consisted of two pages explaining who lived and who died between two characters, which i was very dissapointed with, but the rest of the ...more
Robjr73
Sep 24, 2015 Robjr73 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Laymon was one messed up genius of a dude. Lots of plot twists and one sick psycho killer. Not the best Laymon I've ever read but a perfect quick read with October and my favorite holiday looming around the corner....
Thomas
Feb 05, 2016 Thomas rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dark, thriller, 2016
It turns out that reading two books by Richard Laymon at the same time is not a good idea. I have this one in print, since I couldn't find an ebook edition, and I read it as I was reading Dark Mountain. It was kind of tough shifting gears from one to the other, since Laymon's stories all have a similar style and feel.

In this novel, people are being invited to a Halloween party that's to take place in a house that's been abandoned for fifteen years after a grisly multiple murder took place there.
chucklesthescot
May 23, 2010 chucklesthescot rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, horror
The house was the scene of terror and brutality. Now mysterious invitations to a Halloween party are arriving with selected people in town and nobody seems able to resist getting a look inside to see who their host is. Then the screaming begins again...
For such a short book I found the build up to the party quite slow going. The scenes of gore at the party are just what you expect in a Richard Laymon book but it wasn't worth sitting through the boring bits to get to the end.
Michael
May 10, 2015 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: splatterpunk
All Hallow's Eve is an interesting novel for a variety of reasons. It's not your typical Laymon novel. By this time people knew what to expect from him so this to me felt as if he were showing the critics that he was capable of creating a novel that was void of its usual mayhem. Eve is Laymon's attempt at a straight horror novel and surprisingly it works. Laymon proves here that he is a great story teller, but there is the usual references to sex, but not as much as say Come Out Tonight. These ...more
John
Nov 29, 2015 John rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
When it comes to horror novels with "Halloween" (or some variation thereof) in the title, expectations should be set pretty low.
ALLHALLOW'S EVE does little or nothing to elevate the Halloween-themed horror sub-genre. Overall, I enjoyed the novel well enough, though I certainly sympathize with its detractors. Trying to justify a Richard Laymon novel is like trying to justify chocolate cake for breakfast. All you can do is mumble "So, sue me" between mouthfuls.
One thing Laymon does a pretty good
Kirsty
May 27, 2011 Kirsty rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Why do i even bother?!?!

I love his books, i really do, i love the way he writes and the gore involved however he spends like a billion pages explaining the background to the story and then the ending is over in like 2 pages. Left with more questions than answers! Im expecting his next book to end with they all lived happy ever after or it was only a dream.

Drives me crazy!
Roj
Sep 08, 2015 Roj rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Having read a number of Richard Laymon's books in the past, finding this in a charity collection was a buy-on-sight. Unfortunately, it's really not one of Richard's best.
I finished reading this in 3 and a half hours, as the pacing on the build of the story is fantastic. However, once the main story is built and ready for the twist and climax, it seems that the steam had run out. There are too many characters introduced to care about any given one - none of which have any real development, and th
Jarrod Scarbrough
Oct 01, 2014 Jarrod Scarbrough rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tara Calaby
Jul 08, 2012 Tara Calaby rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult-fiction, horror, own
This is not anywhere near Laymon's best book. It is, however, as wonderfully escapist as all his books are. I don't read Richard Laymon for quality, after all :D
Amanda
Nov 17, 2010 Amanda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
All Hallow’s Eve is a tame horror novel whose only real value lies in its fast-paced plotline. Because it is a Laymon novel, the writing is fluid and page-turning. However, none of the characters within the story are developed enough to make them interesting. Most are unlikable, which shouldn’t come as a surprise to longtime Laymon fans, but this novel makes me wonder what kind of formative impressions the author developed during childhood that predisposed him to continually write such skewed pe ...more
Michael
Nov 12, 2013 Michael rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition

ALLHALLOWS EVE tells the thin story of an American small-town and the events leading up to the titular ALL HALLOWS EVE. Local sherriff Dexter answers a call to investigate prowlers in an abandoned house, and is savagely murdered. Cop Sam investigates, while in his private life he is trying to make things work with a new girlfriend, and her son Eric. Much of the novel focuses on Eric; how he is bullied at school, has the hots for a cheerleader girl, and is talking to his errant father who has bee
Erin
Aug 13, 2013 Erin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2013
Allhallow's Eve:

Have you ever picked up a book read it and when you get to the ending find yourself wanting bang your head on the table or just throw the book around the room yelling "DNGIOAHD GWHDJB UHFJSHF" At the top of your lungs because the ending is that bad. That was my reaction to this books ending. I hated this books ending, it was abrupt like it had been slapped together in a hurry or like the writer didn't care how it ended just that it did?

Don't get me wrong some people might like
Kaisersoze
Oct 24, 2013 Kaisersoze rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Richard Laymon is a name virtually every fan of horror novels would be familiar with (unless they're relatively tender of age). In most of his early works published in the 80s, Laymon displayed a signature style consisting of dialogue-heavy, stripped-back prose, flawed characters, tension-ratcheting build ups to explosive climaxes, surprising moments of violence, and oodles, (by which I mean bucketloads) of sleaze.

Not that sleaze is a bad thing. You just have to be prepared to feel a little down
Richard
Jul 15, 2012 Richard rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Richard Laymon is an author whom I’ve read several of his works with a mixture of eagerness and disappointment. He was a person whose talent was increasingly undermined by ALWAYS subjecting his characters to random bursts of sexual humiliation for no fucking reason at all. In The Beast House series, it’s a bit forgivable due to the plot. His masterwork, The Traveling Vampire Show contains scenes of this that, while a bit out of place, do fit the narrative. In All Hallow’s Eve, it’s as though Lay ...more
Apr 07, 2015 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really 3 1/2 stars. THe ending was great- I thought I knew exactly what was going to happen and liked the fact that Laymon mixed things up and pulled some surprises out of his hat. From the time the party started the book was pure adrenaline. But the great scenes at the end didn't change the fact that the book was really slow at times (unusual for Laymon) and the last part the recap of what happened that we didn't see, was very abrupt. Still, it was a good book and worth reading.
Barbra
Feb 27, 2010 Barbra rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I have read a couple of Laymon's before which were quite good but I really couldn't get into this one. I finished it but could just as easily have put it down.

Back Cover Blurb:
A standard well-fitted-out bathroom: tiles, towelling rugs on the floor, towels on heated rails, mirrored medicine cabinet above the basin, a laundry basket in one corner and the usual litter of plastic bottles and aerosols.
Rubbing the fatigue out of his eyes, he lifted the toilet seat. And saw the water, pink-tinged, saw
DJMikeG
Jul 26, 2009 DJMikeG rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is probably the worst book I've read by Richard Laymon. People commonly compare Laymon's books to gory horror movies. This one would be a grade B 1980s slasher film, complete with underdeveloped characters, senseless violence and a rushed and unsatisfying climax. Laymon was an extremely prolific and talented writer, but he churned out a few clunkers, that's for sure. In the 1980s, when this was written, he was a very frustrated guy. The American publishing houses had screwed him over again ...more
Jeff O'Brien
Sep 09, 2012 Jeff O'Brien rated it it was amazing
I can't quite figure out why I'm giving this five stars. But I am. This book was sort of "all over the place." It had some of the most interesting type-o's I've ever seen in a published novel. Examples: the word corner was printed as comer. Also, more than once where there should have been an I, there was a 1. I also couldn't figure out which decade it took place in. Apparently this decade had phones from the 1930's, shoes from the 1970's and cars from the 1950's.

But all that aside, Laymon is ju
Kat
Jan 13, 2011 Kat rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, horror
C.M Maria
A little disappointed how young it seemed to read. considering the plot and storyline. But nevertheless a great quick and timeless read from a late horror great, Richard Laymon. For my Review click Here
Frederic
Nov 03, 2015 Frederic rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Never stopped talking about breasts, and bras. It was a welcome change when he briefly discussed the buttocks here and there. Pretty poor resolution, too. Definitely wouldn't recommend this one. Skip it.
Keita-Eiri Uesugi
I haven't got much to say besides, yeah, reading murder stuff is great but some of that killing was unneeded and pointless =/
Elso
Jul 29, 2014 Elso rated it really liked it
Richard Laymon fast becoming one of my favourites. Who would of suspected a Halloween party could end like this. Enjoyable read.
Jeff O'Brien
Sep 26, 2011 Jeff O'Brien rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Avoid this book like the plague. I have no idea what the hell was going on when Laymon wrote this one. Laymon was and still is, even ten years after death, at the very top of his genre. This is easily one of the worst books I have ever read and I can't even come to grips with the fact that he wrote it. It's almost like a kid's Goosebumps novel but filled with swears, sex and violence. So needless to say, I was severely disappointed. If you want to read some good Richard Laymon, I'd suggest you l ...more
  • Night Life
  • Lucy's Child
  • Halloween
  • The Burning
  • Dead Leaves: 8 Tales from the Witching Season
Richard Laymon was born in Chicago and grew up in California. He earned a BA in English Literature from Willamette University, Oregon and an MA from Loyola University, Los Angeles. He worked as a schoolteacher, a librarian, and a report writer for a law firm, and was the author of more than thirty acclaimed novels.

He also published more than sixty short stories in magazines such as Ellery Queen,
More about Richard Laymon...