Start by marking “The Morcai Battalion (The Morcai Battalion, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Morcai Battalion (The Morcai Battalion, #1)

The Morcai Battalion (The Morcai Battalion #1)

In the very dream of peace lurked a monstrous treachery

The galaxy is on the brink of disaster, the long-awaited truce torn apart by an unprovoked attack. The colony whose residents represented more than a hundred planets has been destroyed, and the new vision for unity in the universe is at risk.

Faced with a war that would mean destruction and chaos, one man has stepped f

Published November 13th 2007 by Luna (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about The Morcai Battalion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Morcai Battalion

Poison Study by Maria V. SnyderMagic Study by Maria V. SnyderFire Study by Maria V. SnyderCast in Shadow by Michelle SagaraSea Glass by Maria V. Snyder
LUNA Books
124 books — 164 voters
Harry Potter Audio Collection by J.K. RowlingThe Help by Kathryn StockettOutlander by Diana GabaldonThe Graveyard Book by Neil GaimanThe Sacred Band by Janet E. Morris
Best Audio Narration
826 books — 680 voters

More lists with this book...

Dannis Cole
Dec 08, 2009 Dannis Cole rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I will admit that I have more than a casual interest in this book. It is dedicated to me, Susan Kyle's younger sister. I was too young to read any of it in 1963, when my sister set out to get published [wasn't even out of high school!:]. But, when I was 11, I proofread Susie's revised copy as it came, with three carbons, fresh from the typewriter. We used to joke about needed to fan the typewriter! My sister was an extremely fast typist.

I love this book. I read the older version as it was sent o
Ralph
Apr 26, 2013 Ralph rated it really liked it
Shelves: adventure, scifi
Long long ago, in an America far far away, before Star Trek graced the small screen or Star Wars splashed gaudily across the silver screen, a teenager named Susan Kyle wrote a science fiction novel no one wanted to publish, at least at first. In 1980, she did manage to sell the novel to minor Canadian paperback publisher Manor House...after she took out Amazon warriors, a strong female lead and much of the romance. Actually, I think it was the romance that shot her down mostly, for although scie ...more
Julie (Manga Maniac Cafe)

First, this is not a romance. It is sci-fi with very light romance elements. It was a nice break from what I've been reading lately. While I thought the plotting was clumsy at times, and the dialog was straight out of a certain celebrated TV series that survives to this day, I enjoyed this fast-paced read. There is a ton of action, as well as high tensions from racial misunderstandings when humans and a combat troop of aliens are forced to work together to survive a traitorous attack f
Michelle
Nov 29, 2011 Michelle rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, adult, romance, sci-fi
There is an ongoing war between most of the human colonies and the Rojok nation. The Centuarian people are allied with the human race, but they don't really get along. Madeline Ruszel is a doctor called in to triage at a colony that has been slaughtered by the Rojok. However a diplomatic ship carrying some members of the Centuarian royal family is part of the triage zone. This brings the Centuarian ship Morcai to the scene, along with it's complement of elite fighters. Everyone is forced to flee ...more
Amanda
Mar 23, 2011 Amanda rated it really liked it
I really wish Ms. Palmer would write more books for this series. This and True Colors are the only books she's written that are remotely worth reading. I'm sorry to say I've read all her books and I have to wonder how many long-haired, naive virgins there are left in that stupid little Texas town.
But Morcai Battalion was a pleasant change from her regular formula books. I'm not big on sci-fi, but I like variety now and then and this was a good story.
Bonnie
Feb 06, 2008 Bonnie rated it liked it
Usually Diana Palmer writes strickly romances. This is her one and only sci-fi that she wrote when she was 17. Unfortunately at the time 40 odd years ago it wasn't accepted that women had high ranking roles in society. This didn't get published until much later and she had to change some things. She has been able to have it reprinted through Luna publishing with minor changes to the original. Considering this is her first book ever and she was very young when she wrote it, I thought it was very ...more
Chelsea
Oct 28, 2008 Chelsea rated it it was amazing
This book was one of the few sci-fi books I've ever read that has made me wait anxiously for the sequel. The style of writing was a little unique, but since I've never read any of her romances, I couldn't say if it was typical for her or not. I do know that the story line really pulled you in, after three or so chapters as the terminology was quite original. I liked that it was written way before Star Trek and the like, because it shows how inovative she is. The Morcai Battlion is a must read fo ...more
Ann
Feb 21, 2017 Ann rated it liked it
This is a re-release of a Diana Palmer novel written under the pen name of Susan Kyle. Originally published in 2007 this is science fiction and fairly different from Ms. Palmer's other series. This series has the humans and the Centuarian race fighting to survive. This is science fiction with romance at it's finest. Book one of the series with what appears to be 4 titles.
Beverly
Jan 31, 2017 Beverly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the story and the different species interaction. Reminds me of stories Isaac Azimov wrote many years ago.
Kev
Dec 20, 2016 Kev rated it liked it
Very simplistick storyline, had the style of a book written in the 1930s. Enjoyable read.
Monique Atgood
Apr 26, 2012 Monique Atgood rated it really liked it
Prisoner of War Science Fiction

This is a book with graphic violence that makes the Nazi death camps look like a Girl Scout picnic.

Bad aliens have attacked yet another clone colony killing millions. Only this time, they tortured and murdered the only son of an enemy’s emperor. The bad aliens also kidnaped his daughter and stole technological spheres that could lead to the total destruction of hundreds of races.

A human ship is sent to provide emergency assistance, recover the VIPs, and the spheres
Mountie
Before all the Harlequin cowboys Susan Kyle, aka Diana Palmer, wrote a Sci Fi, military, multiple speices book. I read the edition in which the author freely admits the first book, although cleaned up, still is a bit stale due to advancements in technology today. That being said she did get to add back the Amazon battalions she had to remove to get the book published originally.

I found the world building well developed. Where humanity was at that time and place, the society and it's mores were b
Sandra
Apr 01, 2014 Sandra rated it it was ok
I remember reading this one years ago and quite liking it. I was keen to read the sequel at the time but couldnt lay my hands on it and then it faded into the mists of my mind as I read many other books. I recently stumbled across the e-book version of the sequel and decided to re-read this one first. Unfortunately it didn't grab me this time. I didn't find either of the lead characters Maddie & Dtimun particularly likeable which impacted on my enjoyment. Maddie annoyed me with her ranting a ...more
Oct 01, 2014 Sarah rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
I decided to give this book a try even though I was uncertain going into it if I was going to like it or not. I've read other "science fiction" books written by predominantly romance authors and was disappointed. I actually enjoyed this story however. In spite of my initial worries this wasn't a romance disguised as marketed as a science fiction. The book had good characters and a decent story line. Some of the dialogue felt a bit dated but I believe it was written a while back so I can forgive ...more
drowningmermaid
Hello, B-rung Sci Fi. I missed you. I didn't even realize how much.

Stylistically weak, heavy overuse of words like "tone" and "green," quite a few sci fi stereotypes (although it seems this was written before they Were stereotypes), and I wish there was sex what with all the repression going on. The plot, however, is engaging and I found it hard to put down and really very enjoyable.

Todd McLaren does a magnificent reading of this book on audio. I wish I could add him to my favorites somehow, bec
Suellen
Dec 24, 2014 Suellen rated it it was amazing
Great Diana Palmer writing just in scfi-romance. This is the first book in a three part trilogy. Definitely start with this one because it sets up all the characters and great jokes in other two books to follow which are: The Recruit and Invictus. 5 stars for each book and series! If scifi is not your normal genre, hang in with this book cause you'll LUV 2 and 3.

I hate spoilers so....basically two "star-crossed lovers", bound by military protocol with a little interspecies incompatibility. (The
Paraphrodite
Feb 10, 2014 Paraphrodite rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: listened, 2016
Considering that this was originally written in the early 1960s, pre-Star Trek and Star Wars and when the author was still a teen, it's an amazing effort.

Althought Ms Palmer put the "romantic" elements back into this revised edition, I would still call this a space opera rather than sci-fi romance, as the romances between the various protagonists are rather subtle.

The naming of people, places and things are a bit awkward, especially listening to them in audio, but overall, it's not a bad start
Doc
I was startled to hear, as I began listening to this audio book, that the publisher is Harlequin. I guess I wasn't paying attention when I added it to my listening list. The Morcai Battalion is the first book in a series and is as much Harlequin as it is sci fi--perhaps more. The main hero is manly (in an alien way), handsome, exotic, and, well, heroic, in that romance way. I prefer my sci fi less "Harlequinized." I have so many other books that I want to read that I cannot justify taking the ti ...more
Dragana
Nov 25, 2011 Dragana rated it did not like it
I gave up after reading about 20% of this book. I just could not process all the terms and names author keeps throwing at us. We have names of different races, planets, equipment... and most of the things are not explained what are they. I don't like sci-fi novels like that. Because it is happening on another planet, it does not mean that you have to invent new name for everything. Tolkien even did not go that far.
Eric
Jan 11, 2011 Eric rated it liked it
The story revolves around a group of human soldiers that find themselves forced to cooperate with an alien commando unit when they are attacked by another alien race, eventually finding themselves at the center of an emerging intergalactic war. Although the background conflict is just a thinly-disguised analog of WWII, the story deals with other issues such as the rights of human clones, women in the military, and racial prejudice.
Ilona
Mar 14, 2013 Ilona rated it really liked it
I have read Diana Palmer's romances in the past but they don't hold a torch to this Science Fiction novel by her and I wish she would write more of them. She has a deft touch with aliens and their psychology and this story was especially intense with the conflict between the different alien races. The characters were memorable and made me want to read more about all of them, not just the main two. The whole story was exciting and dramatic and made me glad there were more books to follow.
Meaghan
Jan 22, 2014 Meaghan rated it it was amazing
took a while to understand the new universe she has created in this book but by the end i was into it. the beginning note from the author says that she plans to write two sequels and i am excited to read them. i was hoping for a bit more romance at the end. seemed like something was between two of the characters but it never developed into anything. maybe in the sequels?
colleen
Dec 22, 2007 colleen rated it liked it
Shelves: scpl, science-fiction
read 12.23.07
All of the alien terms in the beginning of the book were a bit off-putting but I got past that and finished the book. I'd give the book a 2.5 overall. Some actions the characters took made no sense and the whole story depended on them. It was the author's first novel so hopefully the sequels will be better.
Martha
Jun 17, 2008 Martha rated it liked it
Shelves: adult, sci-fi
When a colony planet is fired upon, the crews of the human Bellatrix and the Centaurian ship Morcai combine, to the distaste of both, to chase down captured survivors and the person responsible for the massacre. When they are all captured and taken to an unsavory prison planet, they must work together to rescue not only themselves but everyone else on the planet.
Hilary
Feb 07, 2014 Hilary rated it really liked it
Shelves: sf
3.5 stars but I wanted to round up.

Interesting SF with a touch of romance. (No icky stuff, if that makes any difference to the SF people.) Alien races, intergalactic war, interspecies treaties and laws, and new tech. It's a little obvious that the tech was updated for the rerelease, but not glaringly so. I enjoyed it enough to be glad there was a sequel!
Candace
May 07, 2012 Candace rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best sci-fi's that I have read in a long time. She has created characters that last in your memories and without meaning to asks the readers to come back for more and more within this series because you want to know what happens to the 2 main characters. This is a series that I revisit all the time.
Rachel- Goodbye Borders
I love good sci-fi romance. I expected a sci-fi romance book (it's Harlequin!!). I did like this book, but no romance. None. And that wasn't what I was in the mood for. 99.9% of what I read is some type of romance. Having read this, I probably won't read the other books in this particular series (the rest are published under Susan Kyle).
Kate
Jan 03, 2013 Kate rated it did not like it
Palmer's intro to this re-release is so charming and hopeful that I really wanted to like this book. Unfortunately it is so full of stereotyped characters and set pieces - I actually snorted out loud in disbelief several times at some of the writing.

Snorted!! ..never a good sign.

Maybe it gets better in book 2?

#unfinished
Sheila
Feb 04, 2014 Sheila rated it it was amazing
I'm not one for the sci-fi book genre...which, admittedly, is odd since I love the movies. Perhaps I was waiting for this series. the characters are well thought out and real. The universe where they live is relatable and and makes the plot easy to follow and become absorbed in it. If you have never read a science fiction novel, do start with this one!
Bonnie
Jan 11, 2015 Bonnie rated it it was amazing
I am really enjoying this series. It does seem so unusual for Diana to be writing it but I can't wait for the 3rd book. It took me some time to get with the sci fi means but once it sank it I really enjoyed it!
  • The Savage Heart
  • World's End
  • Silver Diamond 3
  • In Stone's Clasp (Final Dance, #2)
Susan Kyle writes under the pseudonyms Diana Blayne, Katy Currie and Diana Palmer.

Susan Spaeth Kyle was born in 1946 in Randolph County, Georgia. She attended school in Atlanta and graduated in 1964 from Chamblee High School in Chamblee, Georgia.

In 1991, at the age of 44, she went back to college and graduated summa cum laude. She earned a Bachelor of Arts degree in history, with minors in anth
More about Susan Kyle...

The Morcai Battalion (4 books)
  • The Recruit (The Morcai Battalion, #2)
  • Invictus (The Morcai Battalion, #3)
  • The Rescue (The Morcai Battalion #4)