Start by marking “Taken by the Highest Bidder” as Want to Read:
Taken by the Highest Bidder

Taken by the Highest Bidder

Sold in Monte Carlo: a beautiful English baroness!

Samantha van Bergen has been wagered and won by the highest bidder: dark and sexy Italian, Cristiano Bartolo.

Did he buy her to bed her?

Innocent Sam is scared Cristiano will seduce her! But she quickly finds out he has his own reason for wanting her--bedding her is just a bonus!

Paperback, Harlequin Presents #2508 , 187 pages
Published December 1st 2005 by Harlequin Books

To ask other readers questions about Taken by the Highest Bidder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Taken by the Highest Bidder

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
I liked this book initially, but I didn't like the ending. I felt that Cristiano did not really make any compromises with Samantha, knowing her fears, and why she had them. She ended up being the one who gave in to make up with him. And he just took her back like that. He makes an aside to the effect that he might retire from the thing that scares the life out of Samantha in a year or so. More because he's tired of it, not because he loves her. I am not saying that a person should always give up ...more
Jacqueline
This book had the potential to rate higher but it couldn't really figure out what it wanted it's plot to be about. First you think 'wow this guy really has the hots for this woman, he's gone to great, even absurd, lengths to get her.' Then you find out that no he doesn't want her. He's just using her to get control of her stepdaughter. Then you realize that the conflict has nothing to do with either of those situations. It seems to be about her hating his job. So he's going to divorce her. Becau ...more
Alex is The Romance Fox
Nov 03, 2011 Alex is The Romance Fox rated it it was amazing
I love Jane Porter’s books. This is the second time I have read this book and I enjoyed it immensely.
Cristiano, an Italian billionaire and Sam an English orphan have one thing in common and that is their unquestionable love for his half sister and her ward, Gabby. There is a great chemistry between them and you just want Cristiano to fall in love with Sam and marry her and all three to live happily ever after…which they do of course…..after overcoming some difficulties.
It’s about facing one’s fe
Anja
Jul 13, 2010 Anja rated it did not like it
Shelves: audiobook
Dianna
I’m not great at reading blurbs, if I read anything more than the title and the cover picture, I basically just find keywords and decide from there if I’m keen. The keywords that hooked me to this book were Baroness and gambled away. Racing car driver has a kind of magic to it as well, but wow – Baroness. And she was blonde, and the Baron was Austrian, so I started hoping that Baroness Sam would be like the Baroness in ‘the Sound of Music’ because that Baroness was awesome. I’m so glad the Capta ...more
Roub
Apr 26, 2015 Roub rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
i wish he had bought her to bed her! and der wud be lots of angst as he made passionate love to her while she was hesitant about the whole issue. however, the story played out differently. the hero was actually really interested in the kid rather than samantha. christo was an honourable man and dats something to be admired but he was somewhat cold, did not let go of his passion or maybe he was only not dat passionate where sam was concerned.
Caro
Dec 11, 2016 Caro rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Nadie en esta vida.
El héroe "gana" a la protagonista en una partida de cartas. Y ella ni se inmuta, ah, sí, me ganaste, esperame que hago la valija para irme con vos. ¡Sí! Todo como en este mundo, donde la gente pierde la independencia porque otro se lo jugó en las cartas.
Ya desde vamos el argumento es bien flashero, pero no sólo eso: ella estuvo casada dos veces antes que con el héroe y sigue siendo virgen (...).
Esta novelita es demasiado volada, hasta para mí. Muchas vueltas, muchos conflictos, la verdad que me
Gail
Waffled between giving this 4 stars or giving it 3. There were many elements to the book that I loved but other elements bothered me a bit. But it's Jane Porter - she's great.

Also, the title of the book is slightly misleading. I wish the HQP titles would better reflect the actual plot of the books.
Beate
Aug 10, 2008 Beate rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance
This one had all the ingredients for your typical romance book, but it fell through with a wham. There was no flow in the language, the book felt a bit too stuck up. Almost too preachy, and it felt like a cheap knock off of other romance books. I won't be picking up any more books by this author. Annoying - that's the feeling I'm left withl.
Alexis-Morgan Roark
I think Christiano should have made more allowances for the Sam's fears before they got back together. In truth, he should have talked to her ABOUT her fears before he decided to leave. Dumba@@!! Otherwise, it was a good, fun, sexy read.
Mary Dulaney
I read the Large Print version.

Baroness Samantha van Bergen is won in a card game by Cristiano Bartolo who is determined to destroy her husband. Samantha married the Baron so he could retain custody of his daughter, Gabriela, but when Samantha is forced to become the property of Cristiano, she must rescue Gabby, too.

I really struggled with this book. The whole "you belong to me because I won you in a card game" trope might have succeeded with historical fiction, but in modern times?! And then th
Karen
very entertaining !!
Ayu Wirdha
Apr 06, 2014 Ayu Wirdha rated it really liked it
Putri Septiana
After her husband lost a game with Cristiano, Samantha was sold to Cristiano. Afraid that Cristiano would separate her from Gabby, her stepdaughter, she fled to her old orphanage in England. But surprise, surprise, Gabby was the one which Cristiano wants. So Cristiano brought them back to Monaco and ask her to marry him instead. Unique point from this book is the Monaco setting. I’ve never read this kind of setting from Presents before, but it fits with hero’s occupation, I guess. Weird point is ...more
sbf20112011
Nov 28, 2011 sbf20112011 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. The plot of this was strange and not very believable, especially in the beginning. And I agree with other reviews that the hero didn't do enough to assuage the heroine's fears -- and why wouldn't he tell her he was thinking of retiring before he let her go off and proceed with the divorce? I think I just didn't really feel the love from the hero, and I didn't find his motives understandable or realistic/believable. Still an interesting read, but I just wasn't that drawn in to the love ...more
Houa
Aug 04, 2013 Houa rated it liked it
I was mad at Cristiano for not really understanding Samantha's pov about fearing that he wouldn't make it in case of any future accidents and how he willing just let Samantha go which really pissed me off. I was okay but would have prefered if something else was done to make it more satisfying.
Melinda Garza
Jan 06, 2013 Melinda Garza rated it it was amazing
This book is about one facing their fears and responsibilities while finding love. Sam has great insight and is very mature for her age. Christiano is dark and sexy and one just wants more and more of him. A must read.
Diane
Diane rated it liked it
May 20, 2011
Shahreen
Shahreen rated it really liked it
Jan 09, 2011
Guðlaug
Guðlaug rated it really liked it
Jan 25, 2017
Robin Benfer
Robin Benfer rated it it was amazing
Dec 10, 2016
phoebess
phoebess rated it it was ok
Sep 19, 2015
Jenny
Jenny rated it liked it
May 26, 2013
Kathy Tomcik
Kathy Tomcik rated it really liked it
Aug 19, 2014
Maleka
Maleka rated it did not like it
Jan 02, 2012
Gigi
Gigi rated it it was ok
Sep 12, 2014
Megan Frazer
Megan Frazer rated it it was amazing
Feb 28, 2013
Henza R.
Henza R. rated it it was amazing
Feb 20, 2012
Theliteraljunkie
Theliteraljunkie rated it really liked it
Sep 08, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Mistress: Hired for the Billionaire's Pleasure
  • Traded to the Sheikh
  • Italian Boss, Housekeeper Bride (Harlequin Presents, #2687)
  • Stolen by the Sheikh (Clemenger Sisters #2)
  • The Sheikh's Defiant Bride (Sheikh Tycoons, #1)
  • Captive At The Sicilian Billionaire's Command (Leopardi Brothers, #1)
  • The Sheikh's Virgin Princess
  • Greek Tycoon, Waitress Wife
  • The Spanish Duke's Virgin Bride (Harlequin Presents, #2679)
  • Ruthless Awakening
  • The Fiorenza Forced Marriage (Harlequin Presents #2807)
  • The Sheik and the Virgin Princess (Desert Rogues, #5) (Silhouette Special Edition, #1453)
  • The Greek Tycoon's Reluctant Bride
  • The Italian's Blackmailed Mistress
  • The Millionaire's Inexperienced Love-Slave
  • The Sheikh's Ransomed Bride (Surrender to the Sheikh) (Harlequin Presents, #2649)
  • Ruthless Husband, Convenient Wife (The Marriage Bargain, #3)
  • The Boss's Wife For A Week
Born in Visalia, California, I'm a small town girl at heart. I love central California's golden foothills, oak trees, and the miles of farmland. In my mind, there's nothing sweeter in the world than the heady fragrance of orange blossoms on a sultry summer night.

As a little girl I spent hours on my bed, staring out the window, dreaming of far off places, fearless knights, and happy-ever-after endi
More about Jane Porter...

“I love you more than I hate cars, so I decided I'd try to face my fears and take some risks.” 1 likes